PDA

View Full Version : Recycled sound effects in ROTS ?

2-1B
05-21-2005, 03:47 AM
The first I noticed was the blaster used by Obi-Wan against Grievous: when Ben blasts that guy, to me it sounds EXACTLY like the one used by Jango Fett on Geonosis, especially the series of shots he takes before Master Windu kindly takes off his helmet. lol

What did you notice as being reused from other films ?

My favorite one right now would be the Tusken yell as Anakin recalls his mother's death. Creepy.

darko666
05-21-2005, 04:06 AM
i noticed how the ships flying around the early star destroyers at the end of the movie sounded like TIE fighters.

and if you listen good enough, you hear the boga when the wookies have their war cry. doesn't make much sense, but it's there.

JediTricks
05-21-2005, 04:14 AM
Dang it Darko, that TIE sound around those Clone V-wings was the one I was going to mention. :p ;)

There was a "Wilhelm" early on, I think in Grievous's battleship, but that's not really recycled so much as "specific homage".

I've only seen it once, that TIE Fighter sound is the one that stuck with me the most. Oh, I just remembered another one!!! When Anakin and Obi-Wan are battling in the Mustafar playset... er, interior ;)... one of the whacks a control which seems to make those weird vane things lower down towards the lava some, when that happens, we see the vane set lowering and jostling and we hear the sound effect from when the shuttles arrive on the Death Star II, I think it's supposed to be an alarm in both films.

Slicker
05-21-2005, 05:27 AM
One I noticed was the claxons when GG's ship was going down. It's the same as when the Falcon is landing in the DS.

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 08:14 AM
My favorite one right now would be the Tusken yell as Anakin recalls his mother's death. Creepy.

Which scene was that in? I'm seeing ROTS again in a few hours, and I want to listen for it.

Veers
05-21-2005, 08:26 AM
I think those V wings ships are suppose to have tie fighter sounds. Eventually those V-Wings will be retired, than the Tie Fighter will takes its place.

rbaumhauer
05-21-2005, 10:47 AM
The worst bit of re-used audio has to be the Wookiee "Tarzan Yell" - one of the stupidest things from ROTJ, and he goes and reuses it :rolleyes: .

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Which scene was that in? I'm seeing ROTS again in a few hours, and I want to listen for it.
Right after Anakin killed Dooku and freed Palpatine from his chair, they talk about it for a few seconds, and the Tusken call was in there. I completely forgot about this part until Caesar brought it up . . . I thought that was very odd, since nothing like that has ever happened before.

The Wilhelm was when a clone blew up on the Republic ship, I think they showed the shot in the theatrical trailer, but without that sound.

I remember hearing about the Wookiee tarzan calls, but I didn't notice them. Oh well, I think I'll see at least once more. ;)

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Right after Anakin killed Dooku and freed Palpatine from his chair, they talk about it for a few seconds, and the Tusken call was in there. I completely forgot about this part until Caesar brought it up . . . I thought that was very odd, since nothing like that has ever happened before.

Actually, I heard it this time around earlier this afternoon. Can't believe I didn't catch that before.

2-1B
05-22-2005, 12:57 AM
I noticed the Wilhelm, too, and was DELIGHTED by it !

The Tusken yell is still my favorite after a few more viewings. :)

mabudonicus
05-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Okay, I can't avoid asking- what the hack is a "Wilhelm" exactly???

I don't know why I've never heard the term, but there it is :beard:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-22-2005, 01:55 PM
It's a kind of scream that many sound designers use in their movies, mostly by Ben Burtt. It's from some old movie where a guy named Wilhelm dies and screams. It's heard:
*In ANH, when a stormtrooper falls down into the Death Star chasm after Luke shoots him
*In ESB when Chewie throws a stormtrooper off the carbon freezing chamber
*In ROTJ when someone falls into the Sarlacc
*In TPM when someone gets shot in the Naboo hangar
*It's inexplicably MIA in AOTC. Some people say that it's when Padmé's ship blows up, but that's a different scream.
*In ROTS when a clone dies on the big republic ship during the opening battle

JediTricks
05-22-2005, 07:51 PM
The worst bit of re-used audio has to be the Wookiee "Tarzan Yell" - one of the stupidest things from ROTJ, and he goes and reuses it :rolleyes: .
I think the idea here was to lend credence to its use in ROTJ, "all wookiees do the Tarzan yell" type thing. I too really disliked it.

I thought that was very odd, since nothing like that has ever happened before.Yeah, up until now only music had been used for that sort of thing in the series. Also, ROTS introduced us to Jedi dream sequences, another thing I didn't really care for.

Oh, and thanks for clarifying where the "wilhelm" was. :)

On the question of what the "wilhelm" is, check out this page for a sound clip and info: http://www.nerf-herders-anonymous.net/WilhelmScream.html

DarthAngel
05-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Outside of the TIE fighter sound effect with the V-Wing, the blaster effect, the Wilhelm, the tusken raider cry, and the wookie Tarzan yelp, I haven't really noticed any other recycled sound effects, although if you want to be technical the breathing sound effect for the Vader scenes are recycled from the OT.

I know that this is not a sound effect, but I thought it was very well done, the scene at the end with Tarkin/Palpatine/Vader on the Star Destroyer bridge, I like how the Imperial Officer paused for a few moments as Vader passed. I thought it was a nice homage as to what the Officers did in ESB.

JetsAndHeels
05-22-2005, 08:13 PM
The first I noticed was the blaster used by Obi-Wan against Grievous: when Ben blasts that guy, to me it sounds EXACTLY like the one used by Jango Fett on Geonosis, especially the series of shots he takes before Master Windu kindly takes off his helmet. lol

You are exactly right. I saw it again today (4th viewing) and that is it. The blaster Obi uses to fry the General makes that exact sound. I was trying to remember where I had heard that before, and then I made the connection when reading your post. Thanks for the clarification!!

General_Grievous
05-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Jar Jar's only line in the movie ("Excuse me") was recycled from the dinner scene in The Phantom Menace.

2-1B
05-22-2005, 10:51 PM
yeah, what IS up with the Wilhelm from AOTC on the Queen's ship ? :confused: It is a familiar scream but it sounds different than the one we hear from the Weequay @ the Sarlacc and also that Clone in ROTS.

mabudonicus
05-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks JJL and JT, I recall the sound just didn't know it was so highly regarded :beard:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-23-2005, 12:49 PM
yeah, what IS up with the Wilhelm from AOTC on the Queen's ship ? :confused: It is a familiar scream but it sounds different than the one we hear from the Weequay @ the Sarlacc and also that Clone in ROTS.
In TPM, two Naboo royal guards get shot and die in the hangar scene. One of them does the Wilhelm, and the other does the same one as outside Padmé's ship in AOTC. The AOTC one is definitely not the Wilhelm, but for some reason I've seen a few times that some people think it is.

DarthAngel
05-24-2005, 01:02 AM
After seeing ROTS for the 5th time, I did notice a few more recycled sound effects besides the ones already mentioned.

The sound effects for the Tantive when it lands on Alderaan (Sp?), as well as the Emporer's shuttle and the V-wings that land on Courscant, They use the sound effect from I think its either the Sith Inflitrator or the Naboo Royal Cruiser landing on Tatooine, I can't remember which sound effect went with which ship.

The other one that I noticed was in the opening when The Invisible Hand crashes on the landing platfrom, and you can hear the sound effects from the OT Cloud Car.

JediTricks
05-26-2005, 04:06 AM
In the beginning of the film, when Anakin tells R2 to flare the power or something like that and then he kicks his JSF into high gear, the sound effect is the one used for Anakin's podracer accelerating in TPM (in the N64 Ep 1 Podracer game, it's used when you push a pod into the turbo mode).

DarthAngel
05-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Just a few more recycled sound effects that I noticed the other day.

1. During some of the scenes in the cockpit of the Invisible Hand, some of the bells and whistles, and alarms and other such sound effects came from various star ship cockpit sound efects from the OT (the millenium falcon cockpit sounds effects stand out the most).

2. The sound effects for the walkers on Felucia (sp?) were the sound effects used from the AT-AT and AT-ST from ROTJ.

3. The machine that lowers the helmet onto Anakin/Vader near the end of the movie after he has been rescued from Mustafar, has the same sound as the machinary that lowered his helmet when he was in his meditation chamber on the Executor during ESB.

4. The missles that chase Anakin in the opening battle have the sound effect of the TIE Fighter that spins out of control in the asteroid feild in ESB.

JimJamBonds
05-26-2005, 04:15 PM
When Palp's gets off the shuttle after being saved by the Jedi there is a " wa cha chaa chaa" type sound that is the same as in TPM when we see Maul.

Jim Jam

vadersvette
05-26-2005, 11:37 PM
ROTJ speeder bike sounds when the clones execute order 66 on the bikes, at the beginning, the JSF makes the same noise as the speeder Anakin stole in AOTC, the air-pressure vaccum noise when Vader's helmet is put on (I think this was already mentioned, though), Han's blaster noise I believe was in there somewhere, the sith lightning sounds from ROTJ and AOTC, Wookiee growls, the republic gunships, the sound when the arc-170s lock s-foils in attack position from the X-Wings, and I'm sure I can think of more...

DarthAngel
06-05-2005, 06:51 PM
The grappling hook that Grevious uses when he is hanging out in space, is the same sound effect of the grappling hooks used in the end of TPM when Padme and her crew are fighting their way to the throne room.

The sound that Grevious makes when he lands on the hull of the Invisible Hand is recycled sound effects from either TPM pod race scene when Sebulba (sp?) bashes his pod into Mawhonic's, or ROTJ speeder bike scene.