PDA

View Full Version : Rank 'Em

Imperial Monarche
05-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Now that you've seen every Star Wars movie and the Clone Wars, rank them from best to last.

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Clone Wars
6. Attack of the Clones
7. The Phantom Menace

General_Grievous
05-21-2005, 12:39 PM
From best to worst:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

I didn't include Clone Wars, because they're not part of the six-movie saga. But if I did, they'd probably be in between ROTJ and AOTC.

Veers
05-21-2005, 12:44 PM
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A new hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

darthvyn
05-21-2005, 01:28 PM
empire
revenge
hope
clones
jedi
menace

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Best to worst:
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Attack of the Clones (yeah, so sue me!)
4. A New Hope
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Phantom Menace

However, I still love all of them; it's not like I hate TPM or anything.

DarthBrandon
05-21-2005, 02:36 PM
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Beast
05-21-2005, 04:40 PM
1. The Phantom Menace
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Empire Strikes Back
5. Attack of the Clones
6. Clone Wars - Animated Series
7. A New Hope

Note: I love them all, and this list changes often. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 04:59 PM
1) Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
2) Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (this may end up being #1 though)
3) Episode II.V :p : Clone Wars
4) Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
5) Episode II: Attack of the Clones
6) Episode IV: A New Hope

Yeah...that's all of them...sure.... :p ;)

Monstermile
05-21-2005, 05:00 PM
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Phantom Menace

Ji'dai
05-21-2005, 07:19 PM
1. A New Hope - A classic. I've learned to appreciate the film on multiple levels as I later discovered and came to enjoy each of the separate genres of which Star Wars is a curious blend: science fiction, westerns, fantasy, et al.

2. The Empire Strikes Back - A tightly wrought film with great drama and suspense. I really felt the harrowing sense of danger in which my heroes were constantly placed. William's score is so amazing, it would be impossible to watch the film without it.

3. Return of the Jedi - An enjoyable resolution of the first trilogy, although plot elements are too similar to ANH. I have always liked all the characters introduced in the film, including the Ewoks.

4. Attack of the Clones - I enjoyed this film more than The Phantom Menace. I thought the humor was better developed and Ewan MacGregor really begins to shine as Obi-Wan Kenobi. Anakin and Padme's relationship should have been begun prior to AOTC to avoid the awkwardly-written romantic subplot altogether.

5. The Phantom Menace - I left feeling hollow, which is a sign I didn't really click with a movie at all. The scatalogical humor, although funny in South Park or Austin Powers, detracts from this film. I didn't care for the voices of the main aliens, such as Jar Jar and the Neimoidians. Boss Nass was okay until he goes into those blubbering, stuttering, drooling fits of speech. I really like Padme outside her role as Queen; the low register in which she delivers her lines as monarch is really more distracting than regal. Although I'm not a racing enthusiast, I did enjoy the pod race even though it sometimes moved at a blurring pace. The Theed lightsaber duel with Williams choral score as a backdrop was excellent.

6. Revenge of the Sith - This was first time I've ever watched a Star Wars film and just shook my head in disbelief at certain scenes - and not at just some weak plot point, stupid fart joke, or alien gibbering. I stayed nearly spoiler-free the last few years, avoiding the trailers, news articles, discussions, and even the toys to some degree in an effort to view and enjoy this film objectively. The warm reviews I heard about, mostly from people in this forum who saw advanced screenings, were even heartening. But Anakin's sudden reversal to apprentice, Padme's nonsensical death, and the lack of a major land battle (Kashyyyk) all left me feeling disappointed. I like special effects, but the mind-numbing, overuse of CGI made some sequences just a fleeting blur of activity. It was enough to make me pine for Alec and David fencing on a stage with two sticks! I've seen the film once and plan on going again in about a month. I'm looking forward to seeing the film again but I'm not sure a second viewing will change my mind about it.

JEDIpartner
05-21-2005, 07:33 PM
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Attack of the Clones
4. A New Hope
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Phantom Menace

bobafrett
05-22-2005, 12:02 AM
1. A New Hope, I may like this one the most, because even as rough as it looks now compared to the others (before all the special edition stuff was added), this is the one that forever changed my life.

2. Empire Strikes Back, This was a dark movie, but very well told. The rebellion looked like it was fleeting, and you were left wanting the third act.

3. Revenge of the Sith, this only beats out ROTJ because it has no E W O K's. I also liked the last hour, with the exception of a few minor parts.

4. Return of the Jedi, Pretty cool stuff, really liked the Speeder bike chase, but those E W O K's just kinda ruined it for me, not to mention they beat up on the Stormtroopers.

5. Attack of the Clones

6. What's that first movie called again? Whiney Anakin kid and his pet Jar Jar? Darth Maul saves a small part of this film, the rest I wish could be redone, and maybe Lucas will someday.

Jediboy
05-22-2005, 12:06 AM
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Attack of the Clones
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. A New Hope
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Phantom Menace

Kidhuman
05-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Esb
Rotj
Rots
Aotc
Cw
Anh
Tpm

darko666
05-22-2005, 02:23 AM
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones

Tycho
05-22-2005, 02:52 AM
I'm watching all the movies again to help me decide this.

I THINK at the moment, from favorite to least likely to watch...

Revenge of the Sith
Empire Strikes Back
Attack of the Clones
Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
The Phantom Menace

It's really hard to say. I'm tempted to move Return of the Jedi over AOTC right now.

But I'm also questioning ROTS vs. ESB with ESB on-deck in my DVD player right now. If I can stop posting on these forums for just 2 hours, I'll go and watch it....

scruffziller
05-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Esb
Rotj
Clone Wars
Rots
Aotc
Anh
Tpm

1. A New Hope - A classic. I've learned to appreciate the film on multiple levels as I later discovered and came to enjoy each of the separate genres of which Star Wars is a curious blend: science fiction, westerns, fantasy, et al.

Are you saying that at one time ANH would not have made your number 1 spot?

Droid
05-22-2005, 10:47 AM
1. Return of the Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Watch them in order, they get better as they go.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-22-2005, 01:01 PM
1) V. The Empire Strikes Back - Vader's obsessive search for Luke is brilliantly shown in this Kershner directed flick. A greater emphasis on character development than the first, and a darker story line makes this the best of the six.

2) IV. A New Hope - The classic story of a boy who longs for an exciting life away from the trapped life he does lead, gets an opportunity to become the hero and acheives that status against a menacing entity, along with a few of his close allies.

3) VI. Return of the Jedi - The final chapter in the saga is wrapped up nicely. The killing of the Emperor by his minion Vader at the end provides reconciliation for his past deeds. The Jabba's palace scene and the space battle above Endor are also cool scenes.

4) III. Revenge of the Sith - The first half of the movie contains some droll scenes, some wooden acting by Hayden, and clunky dialogue, but that is atoned in the final half when we see Anakin turn to the darkside and the extermination of the Jedi. The battle on Mustafar was a highly anticipated scene that lived up to expectations (although I was a teeny bit disappointed at how Anakin got decapitated).

5) II. Attack of the Clones - The table is set for us regarding the Clone Wars. We see shades of Anakin's anger, confusion, and his yearn to prevent death as he is all grown up now. The addition of Kamino, Jango Fett and the Geonosis are the positives in this movie. The relationship scenes :kiss: between Padme and Anakin are not.

6) I. The Phantom Menace - I didn't like it much when it premeired but since I have appreciated this movie in my viewings since (still at the bottom of my list). Just like the first chapter in any saga, we have to be introduced to the characters, the setting, and the plotline. Darth Maul is a sinister character and the podrace and Naboo battle scenes are pluses. I still cringe at seeing Jake Lloyd act.

Ji'dai
05-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Are you saying that at one time ANH would not have made your number 1 spot?

Yep. ESB and ROTJ both took turns at the top of my personal favorite list as each was released. The special effects were bigger and more refined and the story and cast expanded and matured in episodes five and six. A few years after the OT ended I began to appreciate ANH more. I've come to see ANH as the first, best, and most original of all the films in the saga.

4) III. Revenge of the Sith - The battle on Mustafar was a highly anticipated scene that lived up to expectations (although I was a teeny bit disappointed at how Anakin got decapitated).

He didn't get his head cut off but I yeah, Anakin's climatic end was very anti-climatic. He suddenly leaps at Obi-Wan and then bam, he's a quadraplegic on the volcanic rock. It was so quick, it took a moment to register what happened. I think it mystified a lot of people, I heard murmurs of 'WTF?!' from some of the audience members around me.

Surge38
05-22-2005, 05:11 PM
1 Revenge of the Sith
2 Attack of the Clones
3 Empire Strikes Back
4 A New Hope
5 The Phantom Menace
6 Return of the Jedi

Although I should note, 1-3 are almost interchangable depending on my mood.

2-1B
05-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Those audience members must have been too dumb to hear Obi-Wan tell Anakin "I have the high ground, don't try it."

He warned him, don't try it ! Then Anakin brags about his power and is shown how wrong he was. lol

I won't bother to rank them 1-6 right now but I'm sure Revenge of the Sith will always be my favorite. Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen give the 2 best performances in any Star Wars movies. Hayden was wooden the first half of Sith ? Hardly !

DarthQuack
05-22-2005, 06:19 PM
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. A New Hope
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

I didn't include Clone Wars as well, even though I am a huge fan of it. Then I'd have to throw in Droids and Ewoks cartoons and movies. :)

DarkCloud
05-22-2005, 07:45 PM
1) Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
2) Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
3) Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
4) Episode IV: A New Hope
5) Episode II: Attack of the Clones
6) Episode I: The Phantom Menace

DarthAngel
05-22-2005, 07:54 PM
This is a tough call, each movie has its ups and downs, but what the hell here we go.

1. Episode V: The Empire Strikes back
2. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
3. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
4. Episode II: Attack of the Clones
5. Episode IV: A New Hope
6. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

I never got into the clone wars, but then again I never really got into the droids and ewoks cartoons either. Well there you have it.

JediTricks
05-22-2005, 07:54 PM
ESB
ANH
ROTJ
TPM
AOTC tied with ROTS

If this were a "favorites" instead of "best" list, the top 2 would be reversed.

moulman
05-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Before I post my list, its easy for me to say ROTS could be my fav out of all the six atm, but the movie needs to stand the test of time like the others have; plus ive only seen it once, so far...

ESB
ROTS
ROTJ
ANH
TPM
AOTC

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen give the 2 best performances in any Star Wars movies. Hayden was wooden the first half of Sith ? Hardly !

Ewan McGregor is an excellent actor, and I cannot think of any moment in the first three episodes when he gave a less than stellar performance. Ditto for Natalie Portman. She really impressed me as an actress, especially for TPM considering how young she was.

Hayden on the other hand had a much better outing in this movie then in AOTC. However, go back and watch the scenes where he and Padme are talking about their future, especially before he turns. Granted the dialogue once again, seems like it was written by an English as a second language person, I still think he can improve upon his performance. His delivery is clunky. There were one or two scenes in which the audience I was with looked at each and rolled our eyes.

Slicker
05-22-2005, 09:12 PM
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Phantom Menace
5. Attack of the Clones
6. Revenge of the Sith

The only reason Sith is last is because it's still too early to tell. I have to give it at least another 20 viewings until I can give an honest listing. I loved the movie but need a better opinion.

2-1B
05-22-2005, 10:22 PM
However, go back and watch the scenes where he and Padme are talking about their future, especially before he turns.

I just returned from my 7th viewing and I still think he is fantastic. The "Padme combs her hair" scene is very cheesily written, very cheesy dialogue but he does well with it. That's the only scene where I will admit this - all of his other scenes are very well done, in my opinion. :)

Pendo
05-23-2005, 07:28 AM
I can't rank them yet, I need more time for ROTS to settle into my mind and to watch all movies one after another. ESB is still my fave, but where ROTS will end up I don't know yet.

PENDO!

CaptainSolo1138
05-23-2005, 12:30 PM
1) "The Empire Strikes Back"
2) "Revenge of the Sith"
3) "Attack of the Clones"
4) "A New Hope"
5) "Return of the Jedi"
6) "The Phantom Menace"

Rocketboy
05-23-2005, 12:39 PM
1) "The Empire Strikes Back"
2) "Revenge of the Sith"
3) "Attack of the Clones"
4) "A New Hope"
5) "Return of the Jedi"
6) "The Phantom Menace"As of only 1 viewing of Sith, my list is the same. Could change in time though.

El Chuxter
05-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Currently:

1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) Return of the Jedi
3) A New Hope
4) Clone Wars
5) Attack of the Clones
6) The Phantom Menace
13) Revenge of the Sith

I was supposed to see the digital version of ROTS this weekend, and (long story short) my wife's family is incapable of actually keeping any plans they make. I wonder more and more each day if something was screwy in the theater, if I was too tired, if my expectations were too high, whatever. I find it odd that everyone loves this movie, and here I actually liked AOTC and find TPM to be pretty good if you ignore Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar. So this might change when I see it again this weekend. (And I am seeing it digitally this weekend, to heck with my wishy-washy in-laws. :p) I really, really hope it does. I can't tell you how much I want to like this movie.

But as it stands right now, that's the rankings. The nonexistent Episodes VII-XII take up the extra spots between TPM and ROTS.

vader121
05-23-2005, 03:45 PM
ESB
ROTJ
ANH
ROTS
AOTC
PM

ROTS may creep up on my list after I see it a few more times. I really can't believe some of the comments made about this filem so far. Almost as if some people have been paid to say them.

moulman
05-23-2005, 05:08 PM
ESB
ROTJ
ANH
ROTS
AOTC
PM

ROTS may creep up on my list after I see it a few more times. I really can't believe some of the comments made about this filem so far. Almost as if some people have been paid to say them.

been paid to say good things or been paid to say bad things?

ronhudy
05-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Here's my thoughts. I don't think I'll ever appreciate any of the prequel films as much as the original trilogy. In my opinion, if you take away the CGI, effects, and lightsaber duels, you're left with some pretty weak storytelling and terrible dialogue.

1. The Empire Strikes Back - This movie really showed that there could be much more to a sci-fi movie than lasers and spaceships. The battles scenes were cool, watching Luke grow as a Jedi was great, watching Han Solo got frozen was awesome, and the 1st lightsaber duel between father and son was one of the longest and best..even without all the flying and flips.

2. A New Hope - The one that started it all. A good balance between the humor and action. The characters were instantly developed and the actors did a great job of helping them form, and eventually grow through the remainder of the Original Trilogy.

3. Return of the Jedi - The final film. Seeing Darth Vader's mask come off and Princes Leia in the slave outfit;) are enough to make this movie worth watching. Putting Hayden into the Special Edition was stupid, imo. The only thing I didn't like about the original was seeing Boba get clobbered so easily. Also, I was 10 the first time I saw it, so I never minded the Ewoks at all.

4. The Phantom Menace - Everyone seems to hate it except me. Jake Lloyd wasn't the greatest casting choice, but I thought he was O.K. Jar Jar could have been left out, but he didn't irritate me all that much. There were some inconsistencies like QuiGon's 'ol "I don't sense anything"/"I sense it, too" 30 seconds later thing, and the "we need a navigator"/"the force will guide us" Bongo comments, but overall, I thought the movie did okay setting up the trilogy. I would have liked to see more development of Darth Maul, whether or not he was going to die, and I could have done without the podrace, but it was a decent film. And face it - we were ALL waiting for a double-sided lightsaber.

5. Revenge of the Sith - Yes - I actually ENJOYED Episode I more than this one. Why? First off, there was WAY TOO MUCH humor in the first 20 minutes - and the humor wasn't even funny. Super Battle Droids with idiotic voices, R2 setting them on fire, Battle Droids fumbling around like morons, R2 zapping buzz droids - all pointless. The whole elevator sequence was TOTALLY unnecessary. Hayden did a better job this time around I'll admit, but I would have like to see Anakin's turn a little more gradual. One minute, he's in disbelief that he helped kill Mace and full of guilt - 30 seconds later, he kneels to Palpatine. Then, through the whole movie he's sacrificing everthing he believes as a Jedi, apparently to save Padme, then he chokes her ***! What hte hell was that all about?! I knew it was coming, and he had been turning to the dark side to gain more power, but the turn to plain evil just happened too quickly for me. I would have liked to see the Jedi's in more action and battle scenes, than just random shots of them getting killed. The majority of them that seemed like they were being developed during the Clone Wars got little to no screen time here at all. And don't even get me started on General Grievous. There was nothing that occured in this film that soldified his reputation for being the "jedi killer" and brilliant war general that he was made out to be. He didn't seem fierce at all, his "spider crawl" was lame, and why have four arms when two were hacked off right off the bat? I expected a lot more in his confrontation with Obi-Wan. Darth Vader's "Frankenstein" scene was also disappointing, and the "Nooooo!" was also very lame. I was disappointed with a lot of particular things in this film, but I did enjoy watching it and may check it out in theaters once more to be sure.

6. Attack of the Clones - My least favorite. Yoda vs. Dooku and the Geonosis battle were cool, but Hayden ruined this film for me. Perhaps it wasn't him per se, but more of the character development and dialogue written for Anakin. He was such a whiner and a brat in this movie it made me sick. How Padme ended up falling in love with him, when she seemingly had a brain between her ears, is beyond me. The on screen chemistry was so dull and just did not work for me. I think it actually may have been slightly more believable had they not cut out the scene where she visits her family with Anakin. That scene actually showed a genuine moment of Anakin and Padme simply enjoying being with each other, and THAT'S when love blossoms - not with one person felling sorry for the other 'cause his Mommy died and his Jedi powers "aren't what they should be". Also, why Mace ignited his lightsaber in front of Jango's neck and not Dooku's I'll never understand. What was Jango's life worth to Dooku at that point? Why not capture Dooku right then and there? There was so much bad acting and unecessary subplotting in this movie, it just fell apart.

So that's my list. ROTS may just bump up a notch if I see it again or perhaps see some further explanation about cut scenes and plot development when the DVD comes out - but for now, this is it.

2-1B
05-24-2005, 03:14 AM
Chux, everyone does not like this new movie so I don't know where you're getting that from. :)

As of now I rank them:

1) Revenge of the Sith
2) Attack of the Clones
3) Return of the Jedi
4) The Empire Strikes Back
5) A New Hope
6) The Phantom Menace

For me it doesn't matter all that much because I love all 6 parts of the Saga and each one has its particular charms that I love.

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2005, 10:07 AM
For me it doesn't matter all that much because I love all 6 parts of the Saga and each one has its particular charms that I love.
That's actually a really good point. There are parts from my #6 (TPM) that I would take over parts from my #1 (ESB). They may be very few and very far between, but they're there :D .

princethomas
05-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Ok, there are two ways to look at this. First, within the Star Wars universe. Meaning if these are the only 6 movies ever made and with no concern to when or how they were made.

1.Revenge of the Sith
2.The Empire Strikes Back
3.Attack of the Clones
4.A New Hope
5.The Phantom Menace
6. Return of the Jedi

Im surprised at how Highly people rank Jedi. While I LOVE the Anakin/Vader/Palpy sequence, most everything else is boring or even somewhat irrelavant.

Now, as far as ranking them as films. Within the larger world of films. Meaning if I have to rank them against Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Aviator, Ghostbusters, Leonard Part 6 or whatever. Things change just a bit.

1. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Attack of the Clones
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Return of the Jedi

Star Wars, the first movie is clearly the best in this reguard. Groundbreaking special effects and a geniously creative concept. Blew people away at the time.

Empire Strikes Back deserves credit for some of the things that Star Wars gets credit for. The idea that Star Wars created a world of its own that people wanted to revisit. It is really ESB that should be credited for that.

Revenge of the Sith becomes the leader of "the rest" Sequels essentially that arent particularly groundbreaking or earth shattering. Sith is an incredible movie. Clones as well, both are amazing, as never before have there been movies that need to accomplish so much an delivered.

2-1B
05-25-2005, 01:08 AM
That's actually a really good point. There are parts from my #6 (TPM) that I would take over parts from my #1 (ESB). They may be very few and very far between, but they're there :D .

Me too, just like every film has its moments that I would fast forward through if I were bored. lol

stillakid
05-25-2005, 12:36 PM
1. A New Hope

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Revenge of the Sith

5. Attack of the Clones

6. The Phantom Menace

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Why do I get the feeling you could have doubled the size of this thread with the space between #5 and #6? :D

Post 500!!! YIPPEE!!!

stillakid
05-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Why do I get the feeling you could have doubled the size of this thread with the space between #5 and #6? :D

It's Lucas's fault. I'm just the messenger. :D

Had he done these right, my list would look like this:

1. TPM
1. AOTC
1. ROTS
1. ANH
1. ESB
1. ROTJ

Ah, but that'd be far too much to ask, wouldn't it? :ermm:

JetsAndHeels
05-25-2005, 01:04 PM
1. ESB

2. ROTJ

3. ANH

4. ROTS

5. AOTC

6. TPM

7. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
7. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
Damn. I forgot about that. That reworks the entire dynamic of my list. :D

JetsAndHeels
05-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Don't mess with Steve Oedekirk and his genius!!
He will have to break out the mighty thumbs of justice. :D

princethomas
05-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Hey Stillakid...

1. ROTS
2. ESB
3. AOTC
4. ANH
5.TPM
6.Clone Wars
7.AOTC Forbidden Love Trailer
8.ROTS Teaser Trailer
9.TPM Teaser Trailer
10. ROTJ
11. Holiday Special

Tycho
05-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Could someone total these (the 6 movies) and see where the averages fall - what's the conventional wisdom of the greatest through least of the 6 main movies?

stillakid
05-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Hey Stillakid...

1. ROTS
2. ESB
3. AOTC
4. ANH
5.TPM
6.Clone Wars
7.AOTC Forbidden Love Trailer
8.ROTS Teaser Trailer
9.TPM Teaser Trailer
10. ROTJ
11. Holiday Special

Everybody's entitled to their own wrong opinion. :D

;)

Hmm, Holiday Special. I contemplated putting that above TPM, but it still IS VERY VERY bad. An hour of Wookie-speak interlaced with Bea Arthur someone trumps two hours of "Yippee!" though not by much. :ermm:

Rocketboy
05-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Could someone total these (the 6 movies) and see where the averages fall - what's the conventional wisdom of the greatest through least of the 6 main movies?By awarding 1 point for 1st, 2 points for 2nd, ect, ect, ect.
Ties were given equal points, and Clone Wars (and others) wasn't included (spots below CW were bumped up to fill 1 through 6 with the movies).

Totals:
Episode I The Phantom Menace - 196 points (5.444 average)
Episode II Attack of the Clones - 150 points (4.166 avg)
Episode III Revenge of the Sith - 100 points (2.777 avg)
Episode IV A New Hope - 117 points (3.25 avg)
Episode V The Empire Strikes Back - 59 points (1.638 avg)
Episode VI Return of the Jedi - 130 points (3.611 avg)

In order:
Episode V The Empire Strikes Back - 59 points (1.638 avg)
Episode III Revenge of the Sith - 100 points (2.777 avg)
Episode IV A New Hope - 117 points (3.25 avg)
Episode VI Return of the Jedi - 130 points (3.611 avg)
Episode II Attack of the Clones - 150 points (4.166 avg)
Episode I The Phantom Menace - 196 points (5.444 average)

Empire is the first and Menace is last. Gee, what a surprise...:D

princethomas
05-26-2005, 08:15 AM
I actually tried to watch the Holiday special recently. Its hard to believe something could be that bad, but it really really really is.

JetsAndHeels
05-26-2005, 09:38 AM
I actually tried to watch the Holiday special recently. Its hard to believe something could be that bad, but it really really really is.

You are very brave. My advice is to seek help immediately, before the flashbacks start happening.

CaptainSolo1138
05-26-2005, 10:17 AM
No real surprises in the totals. Matched mine almost exactly with the exception of ROTJ and AOTC being reversed. Pretty cool to see that overall most of us agree on the rank of the movies. Surprising, but cool nonetheless.

El Chuxter
05-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Here's my revised rankings of the six, with humble apologies to Uncle George:

1) ESB
2) ROTJ
3) ROTS
4) ANH
5) AOTC
6) TPM

CaptainSolo1138
05-31-2005, 03:26 PM
3) ROTS

Care to explain this sudden change of heart? :confused: :D

JediTricks
05-31-2005, 08:45 PM
IIRC, he saw it again and read the book, which he felt enhanced the movie.

El Chuxter
06-01-2005, 01:04 PM
And, as I said under the "Now that you've seen it" thread, I wasn't half-asleep, surrounded by jackarses, and watched it on a decent screen. ;)

CaptainSolo1138
06-01-2005, 01:22 PM
After I posted that yesterday I read your new review, rendering my previous post null. Welcome back, El Mama....er....Chuxter. Glad you enjoyed it. :D

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 01:38 PM
1. New Hope: ESB is better, but I can more readilly watch this one over and over again ... which it why it pips Empire IMO

2. Empire: the classic good verses evil movie. Character based and much more intersting and capitivating that the video game/profit inspired prequels.

3. Sith: best of the rest ... which aint saying too much. Lots of missed potential.

4. Jedi: great opening, followed by a mediocre middle and usual corny end.

5. Clones: Better than Menace ... but the worst special effects of all the movies ... corny dialogue and god awful direction "Ewan ... If you could please just stand motionless in that spot in front of the green screen and read the corny line we should be done in 5 minutes"

6. Menace: worst of the lot ... like watching you mate play a video game. Never work with kids and animals that's what directors say ... Lucas obviously thought he was SOOO good that he can defy all logic and moulded the film around a kid actor and Jar Jar Binks :shakeshead:

jedi-cpa
06-01-2005, 02:16 PM
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Phantom Menace

AOTC AND ROTJ are pretty interchangable...ANH is BETTER now that I have seen III...so that brought it into solid #2 status.

Hellboy
06-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Well as others have stated my list changes from time to time and I really love all 6 films for different reasons but this is how they stack up at the moment for me. The Clone Wars cartoon was fun but I'd put it at a distant 7th.

2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Attack of the Clones
4. A New Hope
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Return of the Jedi

aceguide
06-06-2005, 09:27 AM
ESB
ANH
ROTS
AOTC
ROTJ
TPM

I am looking forward to viewing all 6 with the DVD release. Both the the release order and in the numeric order. I will then have a definitive list.

stillakid
06-06-2005, 12:52 PM
ESB
ANH
ROTS
AOTC
ROTJ
TPM

I am looking forward to viewing all 6 with the DVD release. Both the the release order and in the numeric order. I will then have a definitive list.

But which versions? :confused: The Originals (VHS), the Special Editions (VHS), the Extra Special Editions (DVD), or the soon to come Super Nifty Special Special Special Editions version 4.0? :p

JimJamBonds
06-06-2005, 01:31 PM
But which versions? :confused: The Originals (VHS), the Special Editions (VHS), the Extra Special Editions (DVD), or the soon to come Super Nifty Special Special Special Editions version 4.0? :p

Thats actually a VERY good question there Stilla!

Jim Jam

2-1B
06-06-2005, 01:42 PM
As long as the Super Nifty Editions have the redone TPM Yoda I'll be watching that set. lol

Ryno
06-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Best to Worst:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. A New Hope
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Phantom Menace

I want to put ANH ahead of ROTS, but I'm afraid it's too much of the "It's a classic" factor. A New Hope is a great movie, but I think I'd rather watch Anakin turn/the Obi-Wan vs. Anakin duel over Luke blowing up the Death Star (despite the fact that I still sometimes get boosebumps when Han saves Luke and gives his "You're all clear kid...." line.)

evenflow
06-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

aceguide
06-07-2005, 02:20 PM

I am looking forward to the Super Nifty (not looking to spark a rant...). I see GL really tinkering with 4, 5 & 6 in the next generation. Any bets on Qui Gon in the spirits scene? How about Watto in the background on Tatooine? Maybe R2 will use some of his gadgets...

I do enjoy watching the OT OT on VHS. It is quite nostalgic. I wish that there was a chance of seeing them on DVD as the quality of the VHS is irritateingly bad. (sidenote: Did they produce a wide screen of that set?)

stillakid
06-07-2005, 10:53 PM
I am looking forward to the Super Nifty (not looking to spark a rant...). I see GL really tinkering with 4, 5 & 6 in the next generation. Any bets on Qui Gon in the spirits scene? How about Watto in the background on Tatooine? Maybe R2 will use some of his gadgets...

I do enjoy watching the OT OT on VHS. It is quite nostalgic. I wish that there was a chance of seeing them on DVD as the quality of the VHS is irritateingly bad. (sidenote: Did they produce a wide screen of that set?)

I have widescreen DVD's of all the versions from people who burned them from Laserdiscs. Of course, the only "official" OT DVDs are the recent bastardized versions which changed the storyline and character arcs.

trandoshan666
06-08-2005, 10:07 PM
1. Esb
2. Anh
3. Rots
4. Rotj
5. Tpm
6. Aotc

VaderhitsJarjar
06-10-2005, 01:57 AM
1. ANH
2. ESB
3. TPM
4. ROTJ
5. ROTS
6. AOTC

Before RoTS released TPM was on the bottom of my list -
of course - my list changes day-to-day

jedi master sal
06-10-2005, 09:28 AM
1. SW
(I'll never call in ANH-I'm too old school for that)
It's the one that started it all and the one I keep coming back to. It could have been the only one made and still have stood on its own.
2. ROTS
While I may change this one's position over time, for now since I've seen it 15 times as of this writing, I'd have to say it awesome! Lots of goodies pack within. It links up the two trilogies fairly well, IMHO
3. AOTC
Ah, I'm perplexed as to why people don't like this one more. I loved it. and it for a long time held a tie place with SW for the top seed with me. This is where the prequels should have started, IMHO. Lots of action and big battles. Only major problem I had with it was no big space battle.
4. ROTJ
I'd have ranked ESB over this were it not for the space battle. For me, that's what I keep coming back to. It's "STAR" WARS, not land wars or snow wars. Could've done without the Ewoks, but I do recall at the time that I loved the Ewoks as a kid, so I keep telling that to myself, each time I watch it. Forget you're now a grown-up and watch it like you are a kid again and you'll find you like it more than you realized.
5. ESB
Agreeably this one probably has the most character development, but that's it. Not much at al in the way of Wars in the Stars. It's more a side story to the bigger picture of things. True those side stories were important, but I'm just not that complled to watch it. Okay, so your probably writhing there right now while reading this and saying, "Yeah well what about the Battle of Hoth?" To that I say, Meh, the Battle of Geonosis was much more grandiose.
6. TPM
My biggest complaint is that it's set way to early in the timeline. It doesn't mesh with any of the others and never felt like a SW movie to me, with possible exception to the Obi/Maul fight near the end. Gawd, Jar Jar was just pure cinematic diarrhea. He just kept coming back and coming back. We couldn't just get ride of him...

-Sal