PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Cryptoquotes!

Ji'dai
05-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Tired of trivia? How about a Star Wars word game. Decipher the encrypted Star Wars quote below, then post the correct answer and create your own.

Example: BTO-UXR AORR would be "Qui-Gon Jinn" (Where O=I and R=N; plus the hyphen is a clue)

Hints: Watch for double letters that indicate common double consonants or vowels, such as in the words "miSSing", "hoLLow", and "wEEkend". Single-letter words are fairly obvious. Punctuation, such as apostrophes, can also be a helpful clue.

Quotes can come from any source, but should be Star Wars related. All encyphered quotes should use the English alphabet. Numbers, symbols, or other odd characters are prohibited.

"WEV XCVFXR VBUPXBEJK. REI OCFF ZXDXJ LCZT U WEJX OJXKPNXT NCDX EL VPIW UZT DCFFUCZR. OX WIVK MX PUIKCEIV."

- MXZ YXZEMC

JediTricks
05-22-2005, 04:48 PM
HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME THINK?!? ;)

Seriously, I am really bad at these for some reason, I think I'm just too lazy-minded but I've never been able to do these, especially LONG ones line this.

Ji'dai
05-23-2005, 12:49 AM
Hmm, they were hard for me at first but after I started doing them it became easier once I got used to recognizing patterns and identifying commonly used words, such as 'a', 'the', 'that', etc. I'm the opposite though, I think the short ones are harder since they don't offer as many clues.

CaptainSolo1138
05-23-2005, 01:06 PM
"Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."- Ben Kenobi

I don't feel I have the patience to compose my own, so someone else can do so if they want :D

BTW, Ji'dai, very cool idea for a thread!

Ji'dai
05-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Thanks! Nicely done, CaptainSolo, that is correct!

Here is another, shorter one. Probably too easy.

"QWVTS MLS ISATSZMJU FLYSTIF KLYTS Y ZLQUVS PC MLS GQYW VPWF."

- ZQCMQYW LQW FJTJ

JediTricks
05-24-2005, 03:36 AM
Here is another, shorter one. Probably too easy.
In the immortal words of Grand Moff Tarkin, "I think you overestimate their chances." ;) Still, I'll give it some thought.

Slicker
05-24-2005, 05:56 AM
"QWVTS MLS ISATSZMJU FLYSTIF KLYTS Y ZLQUVS PC MLS GQYW VPWF."

- ZQCMQYW LQW FJTJTouche JT.

"Angle the deflector shields while I charge up the main guns."

-Captain Han Solo

Here's one:

"Q TF TGBRXQLE BLR VRTG, JXTK Q VZL'G TGBRX QB TLK SPXBLRX."

-VTXAL YTVRX

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Here's one:

"Q TF TGBRXQLE BLR VRTG, JXTK Q VZL'G TGBRX QB TLK SPXBLRX."

-VTXAL YTVRX
"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
-Darth Vader

Alright. I'll give it a try. Here goes nothing:

"DI CDKI YH YOCC EHPHDC XQEKHCPHK IX IVH NHZO. DI CDKI YH YOCC VDHP EHPHGWH." - ZDEIV FDQC

Ji'dai
05-24-2005, 02:08 PM
"DI CDKI YH YOCC EHPHDC XQEKHCPHK IX IVH NHZO. DI CDKI YH YOCC VDHP EHPHGWH." - ZDEIV FDQC

That was a good one, but I think the two characters in bold are transposed. I'll let someone else post a solution if anyone is interested in playing.

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Yeah, Ji'dai. You're right. I'm not surprised that I made an error. I'm actually happy that that ws all! :)

Guido
05-24-2005, 02:52 PM
"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
-Darth Vader

Alright. I'll give it a try. Here goes nothing:

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."
-Darth Maul

Sorry, back to work I go...

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2005, 03:47 PM
That's it. Anyone else?

Ji'dai
05-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the boards, Guido.

Here is another one I made -

"PCUEU LEU BX ZXXT HLEY, HMPC PCU DXVVXHMBZ UKAUGPMXBY: PCU LIUEMALB EUQXVWPMXB, HXEVT HLE PHX, LBT PCU YPLE HLEY PEMVXZN."

- RLEP YMIGYXB

Guido
05-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Tricky, but it reads:

"There are no good wars with the following exceptions: the American Revolution, World War Two, and the Star Wars trilogy."

-Bart Simpson

Let me take a shot at this,

"ORVV, NSE YJK WSLTRG NSEL GLSEQVRH OFGZ GZSHR FPBRLFJV HVETH. F GSVU NSE F'U SEGLEK'RP."

-ZJK HSVS

JediTricks
05-25-2005, 10:47 PM
"well, you can forget your troubles with those imperial slugs. i told you i'd outrun'em."

-han solo

In the immortal words of Darth Vader: Yippee!

---

I hope this one works out, I had to take my time because the first attempt was too sloppy:

"LCICENP UCIYSA, DCNEM NLY DYH MCEQCZ TD RNOJCE AI OJC GPYIC BNEM, IYB JC SCLM DYH OY JCPF JAT AI JAM MOEHLLPC NLNAIMO OJC CTFAEC." - PCAN YELNIN

JediTricks
05-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Oh good, I've killed the thread. :(

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2005, 11:40 AM
"LCICENP UCIYSA, DCNEM NLY DYH MCEQCZ TD RNOJCE AI OJC GPYIC BNEM, IYB JC SCLM DYH OY JCPF JAT AI JAM MOEHLLPC NLNAIMO OJC CTFAEC." - PCAN YELNIN"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars (edit:Attack of the Clones :D ), now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire"-Leia Organa

I'll do a couple, both with the same key:
#1) "GVN KOBMYNFYAN OIQ QOKXAR KGOIGANM, SCG GVNR'AA KFFB SN SOHJ. OBM XB ZINOGNI BWDSNIK."- SNB JNBFSX

#2) "RXYYNN!"- OBOJXB KJRUOAJNI

Guido
05-27-2005, 02:25 PM
I'll do a couple, both with the same key:
#1) "GVN KOBMYNFYAN OIQ QOKXAR KGOIGANM, SCG GVNR'AA KFFB SN SOHJ. OBM XB ZINOGNI BWDSNIK."- SNB JNBFSX

#2) "RXYYNN!"- OBOJXB KJRUOAJNI

#1)"The Sandpeople are easily startled, but they'll soon be back and in greater numbers." -Ben Kenobi

#2) " YIPPEE!" -Anakin Skywalker

Here are a couple more for your viewing plesure, I used differnt keys for each one.

#1)"OJP LXKVXLP MJEEO UXM X UECRPKNQB HRPX. UJXO XC HCTKPRHVBP MAPBB ZEQ' SO RHMTEQPKPR." -JXC MEBE

#2)"H'N JP AKYP IRXIPYXPN WJRFG CPY NRHXT LRAGCHXT GCWX CHA."
-IWVGWHX GUVCR

Ji'dai
05-27-2005, 05:32 PM
#1)"OJP LXKVXLP MJEEO UXM X UECRPKNQB HRPX. UJXO XC HCTKPRHVBP MAPBB ZEQ' SO RHMTEQPKPR." -JXC MEBE

#2)"H'N JP AKYP IRXIPYXPN WJRFG CPY NRHXT LRAGCHXT GCWX CHA."
-IWVGWHX GUVCR

Minor errors in the two cyphers, but I think I've got 'em:

1. "The garbage shoot (chute?) was a wonderful idea. What an incredible smell you've discovered." - Han Solo

2. "I'd be more concerned about her doing something than him." - Captain Typho

----

Two at a time, eh? Okay, you asked for it.

"FWLB SAVPB, KWIBP OWKHI RWQH KENS YIEQ JFWSHB OXFRWS WSK BEFK QH BPWB AY A KAKS'B BWZH FEIIWASH EXB, PH'K QHFB QT DIWAS."

- VHEIVH QRYFT

=========

"GBZ LUPQPGR GT NXZLY WTZN CTG ALYZ TCZ PCGZQQPVZCG."

- DZWP ALNGZE DPCC

Guido
05-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Sorry about the errors, I was in a hurry to get back to work..

Ji'dai
05-31-2005, 06:00 PM
Sorry about the errors, I was in a hurry to get back to work..
Your priorities are skewed ;)

---

I guess I stumped the board with my puzzles:

"FWLB SAVPB, KWIBP OWKHI RWQH KENS YIEQ JFWSHB OXFRWS WSK BEFK QH BPWB AY A KAKS'B BWZH FEIIWASH EXB, PH'K QHFB QT DIWAS."

- VHEIVH QRYFT

=========

- DZWP ALNGZE DPCC

Ji'dai
06-13-2005, 10:55 AM
The solutions are:

- VHEIVH QRYFT

"Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out, he'd melt my brain."

-George McFly

--------

- DZWP ALNGZE DPCC

"The ability to speak does not make one intelligent."

-Jedi Master Jinn

CaptainSolo1138
06-13-2005, 11:43 AM
I figured the second one out about a week ago but, since the first one had me 100% stumped, I didn't bother posting.

Ji'dai
07-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Okay, here are two more. The first one shouldn't be too hard:

"LNQ'B ENZ GQYZ PQQCXBN... ENZ PQQC, QY ENZ PQQC LNQ PQCCQLB NXG?"

- QCH TZJ OZJQTX

===

Not for the faint of heart :evil: -

"LDJIJ'K PFQPUK PC PFVJC TPLLFJ WIMVKJI, EI P WEIJFFVPC ZJPLD IPU, EI P GFPSMJ LDPL'K PTEML LE QVGJ EML FVNJ EC LDVK BVKJIPTFJ FVLLFJ GFPCJL."

- PSJCL A

JediTricks
07-06-2005, 09:34 PM
The first one almost stumped me because of the person who was to have said it:

"WHO'S THE MORE FOOLISH... THE FOOL, OR THE FOOL WHO FOLLOWS HIM?"

- OLD BEN KENOBI

---

The second one threw me because it's not a SW quote and is fairly long and is also not entirely correct:

"THERE'S ALWAYS AN ALIEN BATTLE CRUISER, OR A CORELLIAN DEATH RAY, OR A PLAGUE THAT'S ABOUT TO WIPE OUT LIFE ON THIS MISERABLE LITTLE PLANET."

- AGENT K

The reason it's incorrect is because the line is actually "... or an intergalactic plague..." :D

Ji'dai
07-06-2005, 10:45 PM
The first one almost stumped me because of the person who was to have said it:
Who was supposed to have said it?

The second one threw me because it's not a SW quote and is fairly long and is also not entirely correct:

"THERE'S ALWAYS AN ALIEN BATTLE CRUISER, OR A CORELLIAN DEATH RAY, OR A PLAGUE THAT'S ABOUT TO WIPE OUT LIFE ON THIS MISERABLE LITTLE PLANET."

- AGENT K

The reason it's incorrect is because the line is actually "... or an intergalactic plague..." :D
Dangit! I just spun the DVD and yep, you're right about the intergalactic part being omitted from the quote.

Since it mentions a "Corellian" death ray I consider it to be a SW reference. Plus MIB was a pretty popular scifi film and is probably well-known among this crowd. I loved it, anyway.

JediTricks
07-06-2005, 11:16 PM
"Obi-Wan Kenobi" or "Ben Kenobi" are what I was expecting, when it was "--- --- ------" but definitely not "Obi-Wan" I got thrown. Pretty sneaky to use. :p I do these by taking the quotes and putting them in wordpad, then posting them again underneath but in all-lowercase this time, then when I think I've figured them out I find-replace the letters using case-sensitive searches, replacing lowercase with uppercase so I know what I've already done.

I got the SW ref, I just meant it wasn't a quote FROM Star Wars. I actually threw in the DVD to double-check my memory on that quote, my memory kept saying it wasn't the right pacing and I had to figure out why. :D

Ji'dai
07-07-2005, 12:29 PM
"Obi-Wan Kenobi" or "Ben Kenobi" are what I was expecting, when it was "--- --- ------" but definitely not "Obi-Wan" I got thrown. Pretty sneaky to use. :p

Yeah, I learned that trick from the editors of the cryptoquotes in the newspaper. Many of the same authors/speakers are used frequently, so veteran puzzle solvers can easily solve the puzzle by recognizing commonly quoted names.

Star Wars movie cryptoquotes are relatively easy since character names are quickly recognized by fans even if they are encrypted.

So I try to make the puzzle more challenging by changing the name around by using initials, titles, or in my case, an adjective. It helps that Kenobi is referred to as "Old Ben" in ANH too, so it's not like it's completely pulled out of left field. I also like to toss quotes in from other sources, just make to things interesting :D

And you owe us a couple of puzzles now too, JT :p

JediTricks
07-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Ha! Between solving yours and moderating the forums, I don't have time to make my own. :D

Here's one that should be somewhat easy:

"QUO IRAIMO RG DFN IFEJMOQO. NUOD R EOQ KFZ, R NTG QUO MOTADOA, DFN R TE QUO ETGQOA." - HB

And another that's hopefully a little more challenging:

"IGYJZSG MFZMBL! DNOE OE JMADMOQ BGC OQ DNG JZJPAOD. O PQZI DNOE OE ABZFMFYH HZKB TOBED TYOZND, MQL OD'E SOQG DZZ - NM NM!"

Ji'dai
07-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Using initials does make 'em more challenging, though I thought someone else would've gotten them by now:

"The circle is now complete. When I met you, I was the learner, now I am the master." - DV

Minor error in the second one, but still solvable:

"IGYJZSG MFZMBL! DNOE OE JMADMOQ BGC OQ DNG JZJPAOD. O PQZI DNOE OE ABZFMFYH HZKB TOBED TYOZND, MQL OD'E SOQG DZZ - NM NM!"

"Welcome aboard! This is Captain Rex in the cockpit. I know this is probably your first flight, and it's mine too - ha ha!"

I've never heard that one before, though I've never been to a Disney theme park.
===

If I had more time, I would've made a harder one:

"BLF NFHG QLRM NV, LYR-DZM, ZMW GLTVGSVI DV DROO WVHGILB GSV HRGS!"

- OLIW GBIZMFH

JediTricks
07-12-2005, 12:54 AM
Those are both correct, the second one is from Star Tours so it counts IMO. :D What was the error in my second one though? I had initially found an error where I ran 2 words together, but thought I solved it.

Here's yours:

"YOU MUST JOIN ME, OBI-WAN, AND TOGETHER WE WILL DESTROY THE SITH!"

- LORD TYRANUS

By the way, it seemed as if that one had a pattern to the crypto key, was there, or was it possibly subconscious even?

Ji'dai
07-12-2005, 02:47 PM

Ah, the error in the first one was that you used "Z" to stand for the letter "O" throughout the quote, but then used it again for the letter "G" in "FLIGHT".

Yeah, Star Tours is a Star Wars source, so it's fine by me. I've just never been to a theme park with that attraction.

By the way, it seemed as if that one had a pattern to the crypto key, was there, or was it possibly subconscious even? Yes, there was a pattern! I was hurrying, so I used a backwards alphabet for the key: Z for A, Y for B, X for C, etc. That was probably the pattern you recognized.

JediTricks
07-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Hmm, I see what you mean. I thought I had been so careful too, I had even created a live key for when I was making the cryptoquote. I'll have to figure out what I did wrong.

Ji'dai
07-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Alright, here is another one. Let's see how long this one lasts:

ZEC'L WPFF BJ P BVCZFJKK GDVFEKEGDJI, UEM EOJIQJVSDL SFET EN SIJPKJ!

- KJJ-LDIJJGVE

JediTricks
07-13-2005, 07:33 PM
DON'T CALL ME A MINDLESS PHILOSOPHER, YOU OVERWEIGHT GLOB OF GREASE! - SEE-THREEPIO

I had to redo that one twice because I ended up with Ys in place of Es and P in place of the B. :P

Here's a 2-liner...

ZAZ A WBID I CLKQJ QLAEB NFIEX XWDLKJW WBDB? - MARBD
AX GIE YKEX GLDPAB LQ IQLXWBD DIPSIJB. - TIPAB

That one was pretty hard for me to make by hand, used all but 4 letters, I had to start over about a third of the way in.

Ji'dai
07-14-2005, 09:54 AM
I had to think about that one for a little bit. I recognize the names, but I'm not familiar with the cut scene dialogue at all. Fortunately the first word in the sentence is a palindrome and a "question word" so that helped. Plus the use of singe letter words such as the article "A" and pronoun "I" in the same sentence narrowed things down a bit.

DID I HEAR A YOUNG NOISE BLAST THROUGH HERE? - FIXER

IT WAS JUST WORMIE ON ANOTHER RAMPAGE. - CAMIE

JediTricks
07-15-2005, 07:15 PM
I had a feeling that first line would get me into trouble with all that, I really didn't know what to do with those 2 1-letter words so I just reversed the letters knowing it wasn't going to help. It's from the screenplay, I dunno if it was shot that way or not as I haven't seen the cut scenes yet.

Ji'dai
07-17-2005, 07:20 PM
I double-dog dare anyone to solve this quote:

"IDX'GV J ZVNLQI YNQQYV DKV, MXQ IDX'YY LDDK YVJGK LDFV GVLUVPQ. N OJCV KVVT ZDG IDX DK QOV FJLQVG'L LJNY MJGAV. JKT N QONKW IDX'YY ZNQ NK KNPVYI."

- VCV-KNKVTVKNKV

JediTricks
07-19-2005, 11:12 PM
"YOU'RE A FEISTY LITTLE ONE, BUT YOU'LL SOON LEARN SOME RESPECT. I HAVE NEED FOR YOU ON THE MASTER'S SAIL BARGE. AND I THINK YOU'LL FIT IN NICELY."

- EVE-NINEDENINE

I've always thought of her as "ee-vee-nine-dee-nine" not "eve-nine-dee-nine".

Ji'dai
07-20-2005, 01:56 PM
I've always pronounced EV-9D9's name that way too but in the script it's EVE-NINEDENINE, or the short version NINEDENINE.