PDA

View Full Version : Anakin #2 Saber Variation (merged)

potf2x
04-23-2005, 12:17 AM
I just picked up the #2 Anakin with Dooku-Saber. I searched: 1-Kohl's, 2-TRU's, 2-Targets, and 5-Walmarts looking at over 50 #2 Anakin's and only found one of these. There are two odd things to point out here: 1)The Dooku-Saber variant's datestamp is 50661 while all the other #2 Anakins that i saw had a lesser datestamp; 2)The Dooku-Saber variants bubble has been changed (look at the bubble near the hilt of the red sabers on both versions and you can see that one has a sharp 45* degree angle while the other gently curves. Given these two facts to me this would indicate that the Dooku-Saber variant is the *NEWLY RELEASED* version.

Here's a comparison shot (dial-up beware): #2_Anakin_Variant (http://home.hot.rr.com/playtoy97c5/SW2.jpg)

Clonetrooper1131
04-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Is there a gloved hand attached to the Dooku saber?

I saw that too, and I thought it was a total hoax. But I guess not. Went looking tonight but didn't find one.

Cool find though.

potf2x
04-23-2005, 12:28 AM

There's no hand attached to the Dooku saber. :)

gorkoracing
04-23-2005, 12:07 PM
I found 2 of these dooku saber anakins last night. While looking through all of them I even found an anakin error fig with no saber at all lol. But yes its a real variation and the dooku one is what they are changing to.

Slicker
04-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Not that it matters much to me but out of curiousity exactly which one of these is the rarer of the 2? The one with the glove or the one with the Dooku saber?

Kidhuman
04-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Dooku saber I would say.

bats1990
04-24-2005, 12:19 AM
I would have to say the Dooku saber is the harder one to find, for now. I think I read this is a running change. Once all the "gloved hand attached" ones sell through I think you will see the Dooku saber as teh norm from there.

Just like the blue saber Palpatine has a running change to be the correct red saber. After a while all you will see is the correct red saber.

I found #35 Palpatine and #36 Grievous today at a Wal-mart. It was the first time I have seen anything above #32.

Happy hunting!

Lazer Brain
04-29-2005, 04:17 PM
i guess so, i found the dooku version yesterday, it has a newer stamp the the first red/gloved saber. oh well.
later

darko666
04-29-2005, 06:08 PM
i'm guessing this is the version that should have been released from the begining. theres a reason why this figure comes with the dooku saber. i rather have this figure than the first anakin that was shipped.

Hellboy
04-29-2005, 06:13 PM

I could be wrong but I think the reason there isn't a gloved hand attached to Dooku's saber is because Anakin actually holds it in his left hand in the film.

As far as which will be the most rare of the two I'd guess they'll actually be pretty equal when all is said and done. Anakin #2 is 1 per case in at least 3 more assortments beyond Wave 2 so it'll probably balance out.

A cool variation I suppose but hardly worth buying two of these figures IMO, unless you like being manipulated into buying multiples of the same figure by Hasbro. :greedy: Oh wait I forgot this was an error and now they've made a running change to fix the mistake. :rolleyes:

gorkoracing
04-29-2005, 06:49 PM
I was looking at my dooku saber version today and I dont even see how his left hand can even hold onto dooku's saber. The hand is open and thats a pretty thin saber hilt. Maybe we'll see a closed hand version???

ace2005
05-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks,

for the info, found my anakin yesterday with the saber variant. the date stamp I had was 50661. People on ebay are trying to sell this as a rare variant already, but if the date stamp is correct this is the change and the following cases will be this one. Guess it will all depend on retailers re-order this order case with the revision.

Good Luck,
:D

Sith Lord 0498
05-04-2005, 04:50 PM
I was looking at my dooku saber version today and I dont even see how his left hand can even hold onto dooku's saber. The hand is open and thats a pretty thin saber hilt. Maybe we'll see a closed hand version???

There's no difference in the hands, and Anakin can't hold it well at all because of the opened hand.

ace2005
05-04-2005, 09:34 PM
I agree, just wondering why the change and if this it, the piece is kind of screwed up then. Also, the date stamp indicates so far this is the new piece from now on.

good luck,

:frus:

ROTJLuke
05-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Alrighty, Ive been seeing Anakin # 2 packed with a dooku saber. Rare, or bulls**t? Its hard to tell nowj-a-days, and this is the best place to have things confirmed. Thanks for all the help!! :) :)

Blue2th
05-08-2005, 11:37 AM
I just found one at a Target yesterday with the Dooku Lightsaber. I checked all the other places I hunt and could not find any more. Every #2 Anakin I saw was the older one and there were lots of them. Probably left over from MM like all the rest of the peg warmers. My guess is that the Dooku one is the latest improved one and we might see more of them later, though who knows? I think probably that in the movie Anakin chops off Dooku's hand. Though both variants would reflect this. Sorry I am not answering your question, as I want to know myself. :confused:

Sith Lord 0498
05-08-2005, 12:14 PM
The Anakin with Dooku's saber is a production change and will be in all future assortments. Hasbro fixed it to make it "movie-accurate." That's all I'm saying until 5/19. :D

Bacta Beast
05-08-2005, 02:55 PM
If you want to stay spoiler free, than you might want to just ignore it for now. It's a pretty inportant part of Anakin's fall. Not as simple as just chopping of his hand. Also if you look in the latest trailers you can see Dooku's saber handle flying into Anakin's hand.

Bossk77
05-08-2005, 04:49 PM
To be honest, who cares what saber he comes with. THey have produced so many of the non-dooku saber verson to make any kind of value increase due to scarcity if any a non existant facter after the production change. Hasbro is getting smarter in that respect.

ROTJLuke
05-10-2005, 08:59 AM
nice point...

Kidhuman
05-10-2005, 12:28 PM
This figure is shipping in wave 4, at least thats were I got mine case fresh two days ago. Which is the error one, regular saber or Dooku saber?

realst8guy72
05-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Does Anybody Really Know Why They Keep Making All Of Theese Variants In This Line??? I Have Been Collectiong Since 95 And Never Seen As Many Changes & Variants As They Have In The New Rots Line. Now, Along With All Of The Blue Palpatines, The Dooku Anakins, The Red/blue Royal Guards, The 2 Different Wookie Warriors, They Now Have Another. The General Grievous #36 W/ The Lightsaber Now Packaged On The Right Side. Will It Ever End??????

JediTricks
05-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Part of it is necessity, they didn't think things through enough when they originally designed the package, or didn't foresee Grievous's lightsaber falling out or hiding Vader's armor would lead to confusion; part of it is changes that Lucas makes after the toy is designed, such as Palpatine holding Anakin's blue saber. I am not paranoid enough to believe they do this to make better sales, they're not generally prone to thinking out things like Grievous's arms being able to hold weapons or something, or over-shipping crappy figures nobody wants, so I don't believe they could mastermind so many variants purely to get a SMALL portion of the relatively small buying audience's extra coin.

ROTJLuke
05-21-2005, 02:26 PM
When are we gonna see the corrected Anakin #2 with Dooku's saber?

Blue2th
05-21-2005, 03:29 PM
It's already out with 2 variations. One Dooku lightsaber with red blade and one with a pink blade. Just found the pink one today. Which one will be rarer I don't know. lol

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 04:31 PM
It's already out with 2 variations. One Dooku lightsaber with red blade and one with a pink blade. Just found the pink one today. Which one will be rarer I don't know. lol

Can you post pics? That seems rather bizarre to color one of them pink.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-21-2005, 07:11 PM
I'd rather have them correct the left hand so that it could hold a saber. Then I would just give him Dooku's.

bkeddinger
05-21-2005, 07:25 PM
My wife just picked up the corrected version (red Dooku saber) todat at Kohl's in Manalapan, NJ. Even better, they had a nice Red Senate Guard (#23) sitting right next to him. She snagged that one as well. Thanks honey! :D

Blue2th
05-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Unable to post a pic right now as my digital camera is fried. Trust me it's out there. The pink color looks alot like some of the sabers in figures before. Like they didn't put enough red pigment in the lightsaber molds. Heck even the ROTS Dooku has a pink saber. So that's 3 different #2 Anakins that I've seen. :crazed:

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 10:49 PM
Unable to post a pic right now as my digital camera is fried. Trust me it's out there. The pink color looks alot like some of the sabers in figures before. Like they didn't put enough red pigment in the lightsaber molds. Heck even the ROTS Dooku has a pink saber. So that's 3 different #2 Anakins that I've seen. :crazed:

So basically there are two variants and one production error like the blue and reddish-blue cardbacks that showed up on 4/2.

WesleySr
05-21-2005, 11:25 PM
So let me get this straight. So far there is:

Anakin w/ Red Saber (Anakin hilt)
Anakin w/ Red Saber (Dooku hilt)
Anakin w/ Pink Saber (Dooku hilt)

Is this correct?

Mad Slanted Powers
05-21-2005, 11:38 PM
If he can't hold both sabers at once, then I don't think I will worry about getting a corrected version.

bobafrett
05-21-2005, 11:42 PM
I found the corrected Dooku saber, but it looks like neither one will be all that rare, I mean have you seen all the Anakins just hanging on the pegs?

WesleySr
05-22-2005, 04:27 AM
I have yet to see the corrected versions. We are still cluttered with the incorrect ones.

Blue2th
05-22-2005, 08:21 AM
So let me get this straight. So far there is:

Anakin w/ Red Saber (Anakin hilt)
Anakin w/ Red Saber (Dooku hilt)
Anakin w/ Pink Saber (Dooku hilt)

Is this correct? Yes that would be correct. At least those are the 3 versions I personally have found. That's not counting the purple or blue cardbacks which I really haven't paid attention to. :crazed:

Bacta Beast
05-22-2005, 09:12 AM
I found the corrected Dooku saber, but it looks like neither one will be all that rare, I mean have you seen all the Anakins just hanging on the pegs?

Actually no! At least not in my area. I felt lucky to find two at a local Kohl's. But those are the only two I've found.

Sith Lord 0498
05-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Several weeks ago, my TRU had nearly 30 "corrected" Anakins on the pegs, but now I haven't seen them since. Personally, I prefer the initial release version. I tried putting the saber from my Dooku figure in Anakin's hand, and gluing it down is going to be the only way to secure it.

WesleySr
05-22-2005, 04:07 PM
I wonder if Hasbro would do some kind of trade-in. I would much rather have the Dooku saber, than Anakin's red saber that was never even in the movie.

ROTJLuke
05-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Im yet to see any corrected Anakin's in my area...my local target had one original one, so I picked that one up, and my local meijer's had the other Anakin (cloaked) but no # 2. I went to eBay and got it for 4.99, soo needless to say I was happy...

WesleySr
05-22-2005, 04:28 PM
I am not a carded collector anymore but I did pick up both versions of Palpatine (35) and I have the incorrect version of Anakin. I would like to find a corrected version to go with him.

Jayspawn
05-23-2005, 11:00 AM
I recently picked up the Dooku saber Anankin. And I got him to hold both lightsabers just fine. I have him now in the crossed lightsabers pose.

evenflow
05-23-2005, 01:30 PM
I still have not found the corrected version, i assume they will begin showing up soon though.

gorkoracing
05-24-2005, 04:41 PM
The #2 anakin is now shipping with count dooku's PINK saber instead of the red dooku saber.

I read from another forum that in an email from hasbro's senior production guy he said the first version with the hand had a production number near 2 million while the red dooku saber anakins only had 20-60k production number and they are now shipping with pink and will continue with pink, and have already produced 50k of these. Those numbers seem like they could be quite possible from looking at datestamps and case assortment breakdowns.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-24-2005, 07:38 PM
So, Dooku's saber does not have a hand attached to it? I was wondering how you could have him holding both when one of the sabers has a hand attached. I tried to put the saber from Dooku in his left hand and it doesn't work. I guess the Dooku saber in the corrected Anakin fits better, or is Anakin's hand more closed so it can hold it?

tirpitz56
05-30-2005, 11:37 PM
What's up. I just got back from Wal-Mart looking for some Anakin Variants and came across a #2 with a pink Dooku saber. I was searching for one in the best possible condition when I found one that had a short pink lightsaber. It's about 3/4 inch shorter the the longer pink saber. Has anyone else found one of these. Thanks

UKWildcat
05-31-2005, 12:51 AM
The only 2 that I have come across in searching over the past month or so appear to be the normal length. The tip of the saber just about hits the top of the plastic bubble in both of them. Both are the pink variant as well. Would like to see a picture of the one you speak of.

tirpitz56
05-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Here are the pics.

decadentdave
05-31-2005, 02:05 PM
I've also heard of another variation with Anakin #28 (I think it is) that has the name Darth Vader just underneath the image of hooded Anakin on the side of the card. I have not seen this one yet but it makes sense.

JEDIpartner
06-01-2005, 02:56 PM
I've also heard of another variation with Anakin #28 (I think it is) that has the name Darth Vader just underneath the image of hooded Anakin on the side of the card. I have not seen this one yet but it makes sense.

I bought the variant because it has a better paint app than the original issue of the figure. The stupid thing with the figure is that it can barely hold the Dooku saber without some messing about with it...!!!

Hellboy
06-01-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm noticing the Dooku saber variant Anakin everywhere now. Should be an easy find for those who are interested.

tirpitz56
06-02-2005, 12:02 AM
So has anyone else seen this short dooku saber variant??

JediTricks
06-02-2005, 03:03 AM
It's likely an error, we've seen Hasbro do a few short-saber errors over the past few years.

ace2005
06-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Here are the pics.
Could you please provide the date stamp on this to see where this fits in the line of figs coming out.

Thanks,

tirpitz56
06-03-2005, 05:52 PM
If its the one on the back it's 50831.