PDA

View Full Version : ARC-170 derived from podracer?

JediTricks
05-22-2005, 06:34 PM
You'll have to pardon me if this has been discussed before, I was avoiding spoilers...

Something I noticed recently is that with the s-foils deployed, the ARC-170 appears to be derived from a TPM podracer, though a specific one, more like several podracer elements thrown together, the overall look. It reminds me of Mars Guo's, Clegg Holdfast's, and Sebulba's podracers.

If you take the narrow central fuselage out of the ARC-170, you're left with exposed twin engines that are long and thin behind a MASSIVE intake. It's a pretty specific look really, and the s-foils add the outside "shape" that some of the podracers had in TPM.

good shot jansen
05-23-2005, 08:48 AM
i dunno, i looked at a bunch of pod images after you posted this jt, i just don't see it.

i attached images of the ac-170, sebulbas pod, mars guo's pod, and clegg holdfast's pod for comparison.

The Overlord Returns
05-23-2005, 10:28 AM
It looks far more like an X-Wing than any of those pods.

BanthaPoodoo
05-23-2005, 03:27 PM
It looks far more like an X-Wing than any of those pods.

Thus the reason they say "lock S-foils in attack position", it is an homage to the original movies, & probably an evolutionary element of the X-Wing..

darthvyn
05-23-2005, 05:59 PM
is there any correlation between the ARC-170 and the ARC troopers? i read on starwars.com that the ARC-170's name was inspired by the "name" of the piece of artwork that it eventually evolved from: art #170! so, where did they get the ARC troopers? or did they say: hey, art #170: that sounds like ARC troopers, and that number is pretty cool...

Slicker
05-23-2005, 06:47 PM
The 2 "ARC's" you're talking about mean different things. I don't feel like looking but they talk about this very thing in the new Insider.

Sith Lord 0498
05-23-2005, 07:46 PM
is there any correlation between the ARC-170 and the ARC troopers? i read on starwars.com that the ARC-170's name was inspired by the "name" of the piece of artwork that it eventually evolved from: art #170! so, where did they get the ARC troopers? or did they say: hey, art #170: that sounds like ARC troopers, and that number is pretty cool...

The ARC-170 is "Aggressive ReConnaissence" (sp?)

The ARC Troopers are "Advanced Recon Commando"

JediTricks
05-24-2005, 05:50 AM
Check out the renderings on this page, there are a couple shots that this guy made of JUST the engines which explains what I'm getting at a little better:
http://scifi3d.theforce.net/wip_details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=11&key=100

good shot jansen
05-24-2005, 07:45 PM
cool link jt!

i hadn't noticed until you posted that link, the air dam in front of the engine turbine fans are at an angle, very similar (if not the same) angle to the split x eninges of subulbas pod racer, that combined with the engine similarity to clegg holdfast's pod engines i can see where the resemblance occurs.

nice pickup!, i now see where you're coming from :)