PDA

View Full Version : Yoda's exile, what's the point?

JediTricks
05-22-2005, 08:02 PM
When Yoda and the Emperor are both exhausted from the fight, Yoda scurries away and says he has to go into exile. Why? What's the point, why does he run from a fight where both parties appear to be equally damaged? And let's say he can no longer fight traditionally and feels the galaxy is out of options, why doesn't he sacrifice himself and find a way to blow up the building with Palpatine caught in the blast instead of just turning tail and hiding until a miracle cure is discovered 20 years later - while the galaxy suffers - and dropped into his lap?

moulman
05-22-2005, 08:17 PM
I dont see why he just doesnt hang around Corusaunt (I really wish I could spell it right:D ) and every now and then pop out and attack the emperor?

JediTricks
05-22-2005, 08:26 PM
You mean like a resistance underground, perhaps something like, oh, I dunno, the REBEL ALLIANCE?!? Good point, he could have certainly given them some much-needed strategic advice.

BTW, it's "Coruscant", and it's an actual word you can look up in the dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=coruscant) so that might help you remember how to spell it - plus, if you misspell it (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=corusaunt) at dictionary.com it asks you if you meant "coruscant".

Beast
05-22-2005, 08:43 PM
I assume it's from the standpoint that it was easier for him to slip away, before Palpatine announces that the Jedi turned traitor. Yoda's allies and ability to safely remain on Coruscant would be comprimised. I don't see anything wrong with him choosing to slip away into exile. And wait for an oppertunity to present it's self. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JimJamBonds
05-22-2005, 09:43 PM
I think Yoda isn't just waiting 20 yrs, he does say to Obi-Wan that he has additional training which in his mind would be of some value to their cause. Besides Yoda had to go someplace where he wouldn't be known since he's an known enemy of the Empire. I do not belive he's just hanging out waiting for an X wing to land on his swamp planet, everybody has their role just as Obi-Wan pointed out to Anakin at the start of the film.

kool-aid killer
05-23-2005, 12:23 AM
I didnt think of the additional training, thats a good point JimJamBonds (by the way, welcome to SSG!) which would give him more reason for going into exile. But i really think he leaves because he realizes that his chances of success are slim now that Clones are aware of his presence, and to fight them and Palpatine would be very trying on him. But if he managed to live, perhaps some other form of help would present itself someday. It may have taken twenty years, but its better late than never.

asiandoood
05-23-2005, 04:17 AM
I think b/c Sidious is far more powerful than Yoda. Sidious also has the clones on his side to outnumber and assasinate Yoda.

good shot jansen
05-23-2005, 06:40 AM
as yoda is the only jedi (at least that we know of), who can go toe to toe with sideous, it does seem odd, not so much about yoda going into exile, but that palpatine does nto concern himself with tracking yoda down. he knows that yoda didn't die in his senate chambers fight with him, yet in the empire strikes back he tells vader, "we have a new enemy, the son of skywalker". he's quite concerned with luke, but doesn't even give a thought or mention of yoda. did he just give up looking for him? hell, stalin tracked down and killed trotsky, and that took him 14 years, cause he felt that eventually trotsky would be a threat to his stronghold over the soviet union. and even though stalin was purging the country of 20 million folks at the time, as well as engaging in a land grab along with the nazis, he never forgot about trotsky, and was consumed with eventually hunting him down, and disposing of him.................................but i veer waaaaaay off topic here.

i think yoda going into exile is a plausible event to happen in revenge of the sith, i just don't think palapatines future amnesia about yoda in the the original trilogy is plausible.

JON9000
05-23-2005, 09:15 AM
So that when Empire comes out, Yoda can look like a cool ascetic. I believe Yoda had to abandon the rebellion in order to wait for the right time- when Luke was ready to go. He can't get himself killed- he will need to train Luke.

And the clones were on the way to bail Palpy out of the fight, I am sure.

The Overlord Returns
05-23-2005, 09:26 AM
When Yoda and the Emperor are both exhausted from the fight, Yoda scurries away and says he has to go into exile. Why? What's the point, why does he run from a fight where both parties appear to be equally damaged? And let's say he can no longer fight traditionally and feels the galaxy is out of options, why doesn't he sacrifice himself and find a way to blow up the building with Palpatine caught in the blast instead of just turning tail and hiding until a miracle cure is discovered 20 years later - while the galaxy suffers - and dropped into his lap?

Quite simply, he lost the highground. He did not make the mistake we see Anakin make with Obi Wan. Yoda is wise, he knows his job isn't to die at the hands of Palpatine. If he wants to fix his failure with Anakin, he must remain alive.

However, I do think we might see Yoda before he goes to Dagobah in the new tv series. Perhaps he sticks around long enough to start the rebellion.

sith_killer_99
05-23-2005, 11:32 AM
The novel does a better job of explaining this one.

Yoda recieves a vision from the force that tells him he will not win, and more importantly WHY!

The Overlord Returns
05-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Well, I'm not going to read the novelization, so perhaps you could see your way into my PM and describe it for me...

Sith Lord 0498
05-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Well, I'm not going to read the novelization, so perhaps you could see your way into my PM and describe it for me...

Essentially, the novelization describes how Yoda had stubbornly adhered to the ancient ideals of the Jedi Order, those of a thousand years ago, and had not allowed the Order to evolve and change with the times. The Sith, on the other hand, had evolved and adapted. The Jedi's training, in effect, was perfect if they were fighting the last war against the Sith--not the threat posed by the new Sith. Boiled down, it's essentially "survival of the fittest."

El Chuxter
05-23-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm not that far into the novel, but that makes sense. Hmm. Something unexplained in the movie that's handled a billion times better in the book? Who'da thunk it? :p

This really bugged me as well. It's like "Try not. Do or do not. There is no try" becomes an excuse for him to cop out here. If Mace was whomping him good until Ani showed up, and Yoda is tougher than Mace, well, it would make sense that he'd be able to take out Sidious if he didn't decide to try not.

darthvyn
05-23-2005, 05:11 PM
dooku fought yoda to a standstill after dispatching obi-wan AND anakin, and as sidious' whipping boy (whipping geezer?), dooku is (presumably) less powerful than sidious. therefore, the conclusion is made that sidious is more powerful than yoda.

palpatine was putting on a show for anakin when mace was confronting him. he was biding his time until anakin showed up, and then pretended he was all out of steam. you can see he was putting up a front by the short time it took him to spring back and lightning mace out the window! therefore the "well, mace is more powerful than yoda, then" arguement isn't going to fly.

sith_killer_99
05-23-2005, 06:12 PM
dooku fought yoda to a standstill after dispatching obi-wan AND anakin, and as sidious' whipping boy (whipping geezer?), dooku is (presumably) less powerful than sidious. therefore, the conclusion is made that sidious is more powerful than yoda.

Actually Yoda would have kicked Dooku's butt if not for the cheap shot Dooku took by going after Obi-Wan and Anakin in EPII, not to mention how he kicked his butt in "Dark Rendevous" again Dooku had to take a cheap shot to barely escape with his life. Dooku was seriously afraid of Yoda.

palpatine was putting on a show for anakin when mace was confronting him. he was biding his time until anakin showed up, and then pretended he was all out of steam. you can see he was putting up a front by the short time it took him to spring back and lightning mace out the window! therefore the "well, mace is more powerful than yoda, then" arguement isn't going to fly.

Again I refer back to the novel on this issue, which does a much better job of the battle between Mace and Palpatine. Mace defeated Sidious. Mace uses Vaapad to take on Sidious. Basically he channels Palpatines darkside energy and uses it against him. After disarming Palpatine he takes on the force lightning fully bore, hence the premanant disfigurement Palpatine suffers. If not for Anakin Mace would have struck down Palpatine!

Remember in EPII, Anakin compares Obi-Wan to the great Jedi Masters "He's as wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu." It seems that Mace is regarded as the most powerful (physically) Jedi Master in the order.

Just my 2 cents.

JON9000
05-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Again I refer back to the novel on this issue, which does a much better job of the battle between Mace and Palpatine. Mace defeated Sidious. Mace uses Vaapad to take on Sidious. Basically he channels Palpatines darkside energy and uses it against him. After disarming Palpatine he takes on the force lightning fully bore, hence the premanant disfigurement Palpatine suffers. If not for Anakin Mace would have struck down Palpatine!
Yeah, no doubt- it wasn't until I saw it again that I realized Palpy was permanantly disfigured by Mace's attack.

But this whole deal of going on who has whupped who is a little moot- after all, Obi-wan defeated Anakin, and Anakin defeated Dooku, yet Dooku has pretty much had his way with Obi-wan. Nevertheless, I really believe that Yoda and Palps are pretty evenly matched. After all, Palps tried to escape without a real fight...

DarthQuack
05-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Before I saw the movie I thought he was gonna go down hard, but it wasn't a loss, just a draw and he felt like he was better than that to defeat Sidious and since he didn't he felt the need to recoil and go into exile.