PDA

View Full Version : New Gorillaz CD, "Demon Days"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Is anybody else getting this album? I picked up my sweet handy dandy limited edition today and i must say that i am LOVING this CD. I wasn't sure what direction they'd take over a four year absence, but from the four times i've listened to this CD, i'm enjoying it immensely. However, any sort of rock/punk that was the last CD has been toned down a lot and this CD is moving pretty deep into the hip hop realm. A few of the tracks, probably like 1-2, have really unneeded rapping parts that just don't seem to fit, but for the most part, they're really excellent tunes. I found myself groovin' to it all day while working on some stuff. I can't wait to see these guys (and gal!) when they "tour" later in the year.

Guyutes score- 9/10

James Boba Fettfield
05-24-2005, 07:05 AM
I told you this before, but I do like that song that features the windmills. First it was the music video that caught my eye, now it's those iPod (or is it iTunes) commercials that feature the song.

You know, the same thing happened when U2 had a similar commercial for Vertigo.

I thought the same thing about them going a hiphop direction with this one, too. Again, this was based on that Feel Good Inc song. Made me wonder if they were doing that with the entire album or if it was just for that song. Either way, I thought it worked well in that song.

Yeah, I only know two Gorillaz songs, though. The aforementioned one and one called Clint Eastwood.

Hellboy
05-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Yeah I'm planning on getting it too but I've been pretty busy lately, I'll probably pick it up tomorrow. I've heard mixed reviews about the album though but I'm glad to hear you like it Guyute. If it is even remotely similar to their last album I'm sure I'll dig it, not sure how I feel about the hip hop angle you're refering to though.

What is the difference between the Limited Edition and the regular edition?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-25-2005, 10:32 PM
The limited edition has a Bonus DVD that has "behind the scenes" stuff, videos, making of, etc. I haven't watched it yet though. :D

Hellboy
05-31-2005, 09:08 PM
Well I've had the weekend to listen to this album and even though its very different than their first I really like it's darker tone. There are some real catchy tunes, I especially like "Last Living Souls" and "Dare." Dennis Hopper's narration on one of the tracks is well, weird, but in a good way. :crazed:

After listening to this album several times I would still have trouble putting the Gorillaz into any sort of genre classification if somebody asked me to, they're just so different and thats a big part of the reason I like them. Much like their self titled album I think "Demon Days" will turn out to be one of those albums I appreciate more and more with each listening.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Alright, it's been well over a year, but this CD still gets played by me at least four-five times a week. Still a brilliant disc.

Anyway, www.kidrobot.com is selling their new wave of Gorillaz vinyl figures. I just ordered my set! http://www.kidrobot.com/search.cfm?keyword=jamie+hewlett&x=0&y=0

That Murodc figure cracks me up. This is the second set of figures. The first ones i nabbed via e-bay earlier in the year and they're just as nifty. I didn't know they were going to release a new set, but i'm happy i got them anyway: http://www.spanky.co.jp/shopping/creater/pic_shop/golirras_black-ver._set.jpg

Anyway, enjoy Gorillaz fans! :crazed:

Hellboy
10-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Wow, it has been a year hasn't it. Man time flies. I know exactly what you mean though. I listen to this CD in it's entirety at least 3 or 4 times a month. Its strange but I never tire of this album and would have to agree it is brilliant. :yes:

Not sure if you get HDNET or not but from time to time they air concerts filmed in high definition. Two months ago they showed the Gorillaz performing Demon Days from start to finish and I recorded it. I've probably watched it between 20 and 30 times now and its become a permanent fixture on my DVR. I think it may have been filmed at the Manchester Opera House (which is available on DVD) but I'm not really sure since it didn't say at any point during the broadcast or in the program description. Puppets of 2D and Murdoc were actually sitting in the balcony and it was really cool seeing the audience's reaction when they were put under a spotlight. Its hard to believe but the band actually sounded better live than on CD. Its is quite simply one of my favorite concerts I've ever seen on film and I highly recommend it.

Phantom-like Menace
10-27-2006, 01:11 AM
It's really odd how this album grows on a person. The first time or two I heard Feel Good Inc. I kind of shrugged, then as mentioned above, that iPod or iTunes commercial played it, and I realized I was nodding my head to it. I've been hooked on that song ever since. Dare is a real surprise. Any song that immediately makes me think of a skating rink should be a horror, but I love that song. Some of the other songs are awesome too. I'm not put off by the hip-hop aspect, because it's good hip-hop, not the crap that gets put out too often these days. Good hip-hop is good music.

While I love the second album, I'm not sure I quite like it as much as the first. Clint Eastwood was stuck in everyone's head for a solid year and a half. Left Hand Suzuki Method was genius, and Latin Simone still gets spontaneously stuck in my head.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Wow, it has been a year hasn't it. Man time flies. I know exactly what you mean though. I listen to this CD in it's entirety at least 3 or 4 times a month. Its strange but I never tire of this album and would have to agree it is brilliant. :yes:

Not sure if you get HDNET or not but from time to time they air concerts filmed in high definition. Two months ago they showed the Gorillaz performing Demon Days from start to finish and I recorded it. I've probably watched it between 20 and 30 times now and its become a permanent fixture on my DVR. I think it may have been filmed at the Manchester Opera House (which is available on DVD) but I'm not really sure since it didn't say at any point during the broadcast or in the program description. Puppets of 2D and Murdoc were actually sitting in the balcony and it was really cool seeing the audience's reaction when they were put under a spotlight. Its hard to believe but the band actually sounded better live than on CD. Its is quite simply one of my favorite concerts I've ever seen on film and I highly recommend it.

Hellboy, my dear lad, I had that bastid DVD pre-ordered from FYE.com in February (it came out mid-March) as it came with a free poster. :crazed: And yeah, it is from the 5 night Manchester block last November. But yeah, that show is AMAZING. The kids dancing and having a good time during "Dirty Harry" and the ever intoxicated Shaun Ryder never fail to bring a smile to my face. My personal highlights are "Don't Get Lost In Heaven --> Demon Days" as that is my fave selection on the disc and the B-side, "Hong Kong." Holy Jesus, that song is gorgeous. It has that kinda 1940's asian blues feel to it, ya know? And that young lady on the zither, just awesome. I have to listen to that song about 3 times, daily. I even got the show on disc and have spread "Hong Kong" to various friends/family who love it too. And i love how Damon emerges from the back, kinda waves and then really lets the crowd know how much he appreciates them. But yeah, that show is perfection: the beats are great, the backup vocals are strong and the orchestra and choirs are FANTASTIC. lol and yeah, the puppets of Murdoc and 2D having fun with the crowd cheering is great.

As for the band, I think Damon said they're "retired" but I think he gave us that BS after the first disc. Gorillaz always has been a side project, so i expect another 4-5 year delay for another batch of new songs. There has been talk of a B-sides disc (kinda like "G-Sides") which would be great as I can't locate all the b-sides I want. And they also have a new DVD and book coming out in November. and i think that's all the fanboy gorillaz rambling i can do for one sitting. :thumbsup: