PDA

View Full Version : Did this grate on anybody else?

rbaumhauer
05-23-2005, 11:29 PM
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but the one effects shot that stood out as completely awful to me was of the Tantive IV sitting in space with another ship approaching (maybe Obi-wan in Grievous' fighter?). I swear, when I saw it, it looked like nothing so much as a (non-existent) Kenner ad with a toy plastic Blockade Runner against a starry background.

This had to have been a rushed, last-minute shot - it wasn't even a difficult shot compared to the rest of the movie, but it was honestly one of the worst effects shots I've seen in a long time.

The odd thing is, it was such a minor shot, I'm not sure if most people even noticed it.

Rick

stillakid
05-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Sorry, I was too wrapped up in :rolleyes: my eyes at the plot and some of the dialogue. :D

But I think I'm going to see the movie again on Wednesday...the Anniversary of Star Wars!...so I'll look for the shot then. :)

JimJamBonds
05-24-2005, 02:02 AM
My thought was that the Tantive IV seemed too big in the frame of that shot, it doesn't seem very "cg'y" at all and it does look like a Kenner model from 30 yrs ago. Perhaps its as Kevin Smith thought it was? ie. a throwback to the OT? with just a plain model serving as the ship and not a computer rendering?

Jim Jam

2-1B
05-24-2005, 02:40 AM
That would fit with the model toy look of the Tantive Quad in Episode 4 when it gets blasted by the Star Destroyer and doesn't even move.

Sith Lord 0498
05-24-2005, 06:23 AM
To me, it didn't look like a model. It looked like bad CGI. Also, it seemed way too short and boxy compared to other shots of it. By far, the worst shot in ROTS.

jedi-cpa
05-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Now again, this is one of those times I believe they were bridging the gap from 3 to 4...it was similiar in appearance to the Star destoyer swallowing up the tantive in SW

rbaumhauer
05-24-2005, 04:44 PM
No, I'm talking about the shot before the smaller ship is brought into the belly of the Tantive IV, when it's approaching from above and to port of it.

For me, the shot is just lit horribly, regardless of whether it's CG or a model - the contrast is just completely wrong, and I still can't believe the shot made it into the film.

Rick

Sith Lord 0498
05-24-2005, 06:21 PM
No, I'm talking about the shot before the smaller ship is brought into the belly of the Tantive IV, when it's approaching from above and to port of it.

For me, the shot is just lit horribly, regardless of whether it's CG or a model - the contrast is just completely wrong, and I still can't believe the shot made it into the film.

Rick

One has to wonder if that was one of the final FX shots turned in by ILM, and they were just rushing to get it done by then.