PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: Walrus Man

LusiferSam
05-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Rounding out the Cantina aliens is Walrus Man (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=6709&cat=3343&page=1). Like the other Cantina patrons, he was first available with the Cantina Adventure Set at the end of 1978 and first released on a 20 back card in 1979. Walrus Man can be found on most major card back type 20 and higher, but not a POTF card. There's minor variation in the color of the teeth. They can be either white or pinkish in color.

I've said it before, but its worth saying again, I hate this figure. In my mind Walrus Man has to be worst SW Kenner made in the whole vintage line. Its ugly and looks nothing like the character its based on. Ok maybe there's some resemblance in the head, but that's it. Kenner [censored] big time. The feet and hands are wrong, the coloring and cloths are wrong (I also hate the colors orange and purple independent of this figure). Over all a big thumbs down.

vader121
05-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Although not one of my favorites it is a decent figure. The colors were weird but that was to give it a colorful appearance. I did like the flipper-like feet and I also liked the fact that the gun hand was tilted so the gun was sideways. Kinda like a gangsta thug.

The face was always weird to me and it had the small fanny-face that for a brief moment I thought was so funny when I first got this figure.

He was just another figure that I used as a Jabba goon mostly who got killed early in my epic battles.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-24-2005, 07:50 PM
I've said it before, but its worth saying again, I hate this figure. In my mind Walrus Man has to be worst SW Kenner made in the whole vintage line. Its ugly and looks nothing like the character its based on. Ok maybe there's some resemblance in the head, but that's it. The feet and hands are wrong, the coloring and cloths are wrong (I also hate the colors orange and purple independent of this figure). Over all a big thumbs down.See? This is why different points of views are great. I like this one. The flippers were cool, the bright colors are a change from all the dull ones in other figures, and his askew gun-holding hand was neat. I played with this one quite a few times; one of my favorite alien figures in the line.

Ji'dai
05-24-2005, 08:07 PM
The face was always weird to me and it had the small fanny-face that for a brief moment I thought was so funny when I first got this figure.

That's the one thing that really stands out in my memory about this figure. This was the one commonly referred to on the school yard as ol' buttface. Kids can be so mean.

Walrus Man wasn't as neat a figure as Hammerhead but he was still welcome in my cantina.

LusiferSam
05-25-2005, 12:29 PM
See? This is why different points of views are great..
I couldn't agree more. I may disagree with someone's point of view, but it fun to read them and hear why they have them.

One thing with Walrus Man that always surprises me is that you don't see more of them with the right arm ripped off. I know that if I had had one as a kid I would have tried to pop that arm off to make it look like old Ben had cut it off. Maybe those Walrus Men just never make to places like eBay or maybe most kids just took better care of their toys (unlikely).

Fluke Skywalker
05-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Walrus man. I love those old names, back before anyone cared about EU. Let's see, Ponda Baba < Walrus Man. No contest.

You guys are right about the accuracy issues. This guy is dressed like he's in the intergalactic Coast guard, instead of being a dastardly Cantina villian.

I agree with Bel-Cam Jos, the flippers are cool and it's bright and colorful, just like Greedo. He's also got those gangly limbs. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the vintage Cantina guys, so chalk it up to that maybe, but I love Walrus man. (In a platonic, owner/toy kind of way)

Jayspawn
05-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Haha, this thread is great! I like Walrus Man. Except for his head it doesnt resemble much in the movie but I think hes a simple, great figure. I'm sure every kid had him. I like the flippers even though he never had them in the movie. :D

In trying to complete my Vintage Collection, I found that I actually bought 2 :confused: