PDA

View Full Version : Free Target goody-bag at Midnight Showing

CrunchyNug
05-24-2005, 02:24 AM
This post comes a little late, but here goes anyway...

At my particular May 19th midnight screening in Los Angeles, around dinner time, Target was handing out free gift bags to those of us outside waiting in line. There were several employees wheeling around shopping carts FULL of these things. Shortly thereafter they would run out, only to return with more carts full of more bags. I can't say exactly how many were passed out, but nobody had a problem getting one if they wanted it.

Inside were a bunch of random products; a few of them were - a small pack of Star Wars mini M&M's, a Star Wars beach ball, a cool Star Wars fold-out advertisement with several coupons, a bowl of Fruit Loops, and ONE kick-@ss lightsaber spoon. I think everyone got the red one.

Did anyone else encounter this? I thought it was a pretty cool thing to do. Here's some pics...

K M Toydarian
05-24-2005, 05:56 AM
I also got a Goody Bag at the Westwood Mann theatre (LA). In addition to the swag you mentioned, I also got a very cool gold collector coin in a protective acrylic case. It has the Target dog holding a lightsaber in his mouth and the words "May the Force be with you" on one side. The other side has the Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith logo, the Target logo, and aorund the outside it has printed, "Waiting in line is evidence of your devotion to the Force".
It is pretty heavy and the case is very good quality. ( Not at all like those CHEAP 7-11 coins).
I am impressed with it! Will make a cool paperweight.

InsaneJediGirl
05-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Cool goody bags,Target trying to make up for those exclusive clones? ;) Suprised no one has really reported this before,havent seen pics or a mention elsewhere.

JEDIpartner
05-24-2005, 08:40 AM
The fold-out thing was also packed in with the Celebration III Souvenir Programmes.

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Slicker got one of those fold-outs in the mail. And for the love of God: Enough of the RED lightsaber spoons!!!!!! :p

jaxx
05-24-2005, 11:28 AM
What I'm going to say is aweful... I know! :eek:

I went to a theater in Woodridge, IL on Friday, May 20, and saw a different movie than Star Wars (my girlfriend wanted to see "Crash", so I went. Good movie! She isn't a Star Wars fan at all). While I was passing the doors to the theaters that were playing Star Wars, I saw employees handing out a ton of free stuff. I have no idea what it was, but man, I really wanted what ever they were giving out.
So I finally went to see the movie in Addison, IL on Sunday, May 22. I thought that I might get a "grab bag" there. Nope! The theater wasn't doing the "free stuff" thing. I was kind of bummed. I guess it's hit or miss with whoever's participating. That, or they ran out of free stuff with the 15 million+ people that saw it in the US this weekend.

bobafrett
05-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Jaxx, what time were you there? I was working at the Addison, Il theatre on May 22nd. Technically not working, as I was outside in my Stormtrooper outfit between 3:30 pm, and 6:45 pm. I have pictures which I will post later.

I also was at the Hollywood Blvd Theatre, in Woodridge, May 19th, but at around 5 am for an interview with Ray Park and Rena Owen.

jaxx
05-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Jaxx, what time were you there? I was working at the Addison, Il theatre on May 22nd. Technically not working, as I was outside in my Stormtrooper outfit between 3:30 pm, and 6:45 pm. I have pictures which I will post later.

I also was at the Hollywood Blvd Theatre, in Woodridge, May 19th, but at around 5 am for an interview with Ray Park and Rena Owen.

I definitely saw you then... standing outside in your Trooper outfit. I went to the 1:15 show. Very cool!

bobafrett
05-24-2005, 10:44 PM
I definitely saw you then... standing outside in your Trooper outfit. I went to the 1:15 show. Very cool!

A few pictures of yours truely, and a TIE pilot that was there also.

Bossk77
05-24-2005, 10:48 PM
DO the blue and green saber spoons exist? I have 3 red ones.

bobafrett
05-24-2005, 10:52 PM
I found a green spoon, but still searching for a blue spoon. I wish my theatre was giving out the Target bags, that's a cool thing to have.

CrunchyNug
05-25-2005, 12:59 AM
I forgot about the coin...how silly of me. I don't quite know what to do with it though. As far as the spoons go, I broke down and bought a box of Corn Pops and scored a green one!!!

JEDIpartner
05-25-2005, 09:28 AM
The coin is kinda fun, though. :)

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2005, 09:32 AM
DO the blue and green saber spoons exist? I have 3 red ones.
I have a red one. Rocketboy has 2 or 3. Slicker has one I believe. The only blue one I know of belongs to my older brother.

evenflow
05-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Man i really want one of those coins :(

DTMAN
06-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I was surprised when they were passing them out. It was at the Sony Metreon theatre in San Francisco, CA. Even LFL reps were there filming the event!

It seems these bags were distributed for the theatres that had a midnight showing.

As to quantity, it was rumored to be 30,000 total, but I think it could be as high as 50,000 since Target exclusives have been set at that number so far.

Has anyone heard exactly?
Thank you.

Hellboy
06-09-2005, 06:12 PM
This was actually a pretty well conceived and executed promotional plan, at least at the AMC theater I saw the film at in NYC. The Target vans pulled up to the line and as they handed out the bags they uttered the phrase "stay on Target," which I thought was a nice nod to the fans. Honestly I was mostly interested in the bottle of water that came in the bags since I had been standing in line for hours at that point.

I ended up with three of these bags since my sister and her husband didn't have any interest in keeping theirs. All three spoons I have are red and the highest number of coin I have is 27,697. No idea really how many were produced but I'd say its safe to assume its at least 30,000 based on my highest #. Anyone have anything higher?