PDA

View Full Version : why are there landing strips on Coruscant?

JediTricks
05-24-2005, 04:41 AM
I was wondering this one from the moment they mentioned it in the film, why are there landing strips on Coruscant? Every ship there takes off and lands via repulsorlift, even the largest craft such as the Venator Star Destroyer... heck, even the long landing strips are on repulsor lifts. Anakin didn't sound like this was an emergency landing strip, he made it sound like a local airport, but nothing we saw in any of the films suggests that any of the craft of Star Wars take off this way.

Slicker
05-24-2005, 05:38 AM
The only explination I could possible give is that it's for the larger Republic ships (in particular Venator Destroyers). Later in the movie you see the Destroyers loading up with troops and landing craft on similar runways so perhaps the runway that Ani landed on is a staging area for the Destroyers before they load up with equipment.

good shot jansen
05-24-2005, 07:02 AM
that caught me by suprise as well. the one thing that has been constant throughout the star wars saga is repulser lift technology.
i would have to say that landing strips are provided in out of the way areas to permit ships who's repulser lifts have failed to have a way of bringing a ship home.

JON9000
05-24-2005, 08:00 AM
I dunno, but I am glad they do, because that sequence made my jaw drop!

JediTricks
05-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Slicker, I don't remember the Venators being on anything similar, it seemed like they were all surrounded by a big building or something on either side. I'll look again tomorrow.

GSJ, I wanted to buy the "emergency use" reasoning, but the more I thought about the way it was presented in the film by the characters, the more it seemed like an emergency was not what those were intended for.

Jon, I felt it reminded me too much of Galaxy Quest's ending, except there it made more sense where here I just kept feeling like it was out of place.

Slicker
05-24-2005, 07:52 PM
You know what JT now that I think of it they were surrounded by buildings. Now my whole explination is bunk. Oh, well it was worth a shot.

JediTricks
05-24-2005, 07:59 PM
That's alright, I think this early in the game it's expected that we all will have our own spins, it's fun to discuss this stuff before it becomes set-in. I love the techy stuff of the Star Wars universe, so you can't go too wrong there since you did get us thinking about the Venators and their lift-off area. :)

Blackened88
05-24-2005, 08:19 PM
When I first seen the movie without a doubt in my head I thought they were emergency runways, so ill stick with that explainaton.

Ji'dai
05-24-2005, 10:01 PM
I wondered where Anakin was going to set the ship down since it's a city planet. I thought they might face friendly fire coming in since they were piloting an enemy vessel. I was expecting them them to plow through downtown.

There might be hyways on the surface for land speeders and other wheeled craft. The Turbo Tank is neat vehicle but wouldn't wheeled vehicles be obsolete with repulsor technology?

What seemed out of place to me were the fire patrol craft that put the ship out as it entered the atmosphere. Man, that was too much.

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Maybe the runway was there for dramatic effect. :D

JimJamBonds
05-25-2005, 02:27 PM
I wanted to buy the "emergency use" reasoning, but the more I thought about the way it was presented in the film by the characters, the more it seemed like an emergency was not what those were intended for.

JT, my thought for the landing strip was for emergency use's as well. Well perhaps they were all tapping into the force to keep themselves calm? lol But it does seem strange there is no doubt about that.

Jim Jam

jlw
05-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Come on JT, you know the only reason there was a landing strip on Coruscant was so Anakin could crash land that ship!! Its another point to the story that wasn't well thought out.

2-1B
05-26-2005, 12:50 AM
So then what, does that mean they've never had a ship landing hot on Coruscant until ROTS ? I find that hard to believe.

In fact Anakin says that very same thing, "we'll have to bring in it hot," so it didn't seem that out of the ordinary to me.

jlw
05-26-2005, 07:02 PM
oh yeah, and it was real convenient how Anakin came through the atmosphere right above this landing strip. Come on, it was just added to the script so Anakin could crash land. Lucasfilm didn't give it any other thought

2-1B
05-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Never said it wasn't convenient, just expeditious . . . and we should note that Obi-Wan "pointed out" the strip to Ani.

Meh !

JediTricks
05-27-2005, 03:39 AM
We didn't see any of Coruscant's insane air-traffic get its proverbial feathers ruffled by during this landing either, that seemed kinda odd considering how omnipresent it's been during the prequels.

And how much of an emergency strip could it have been with a control tower located RIGHT in the middle of it, perfectly oriented to be knocked down by a crashing ship?

BTW Slicker, the Venator Star Destroyers do indeed lift off vertically in the film, and they are surrounded by buildings, but when we see the front of these buildings, we don't see them end, so it's not impossible that there are strips in front, just unlikely and unsubstantiated.

jlw
05-27-2005, 05:24 PM
I do like the fact that Anakin at least knocked down the tower. I mean, I'm not totally knocking the movie; I thought it was great, but the airstrip was just one of those things added to the story without much thought.

Script writer says, "O.K. well, in the movie Anakin, Obi, and Palps crash land the ship into the planet - a planet that is one giant city. O.K. well if they crash into the city, how will they survive when they start knocking into building?"

GL answers, "Oh well, ummmm they'll just crash land on a landing strip, yeah, yeah that's the ticket, and ummmm we'll have them knock down a control tower for good measure."

JediTricks
05-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Same here about the tower, I just used it as a point to suggest that the landing strip isn't an emergency landing strip because otherwise that tower would be the Star Wars equivelant of the lookout tower from "F-Troop" which got knocked over every episode. :D (technically that's not true, it happened in the opening credits for the show when a lookout tower near the main door of the fort is knocked down when a cannon is accidentally fired into its legs, but you get my drift ;))

jlw
05-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Yeah, at the midnight showing of ROTS I went too the whole crowd cheered when Anakin knocked down the tower.

Speaking of midnight showings, the theatre I went to had an "over-flow" showing of ROTS in another auditorium. Half-way through the movie the audio/dialogue went to Japanese. They had to shut down the showing in both auditoriums to ge things fixed. You talk about some pi**ed off people!

Rogue II
05-28-2005, 12:02 PM
I liked how the landing strip happened to be in line with the fight pattern of the ship. And why would anyone build a tower that close to a landing strip? Typically, you don't build anything within 500-100 feet of an active runway. Also, where was the arresting barrier? If it was some sort of "emergency use" runway, they should have had some sort of tractor beams to slow down whatever ship was landing. Then again, this is "Science Fantasy" so we are probably putting way too much thought into this.

The platforms that the Star Destroyer-type ships were in reminded me of a dry docks used for subs and other naval vessels.

JediTricks
05-29-2005, 08:59 PM
The platforms that the Star Destroyer-type ships were in reminded me of a dry docks used for subs and other naval vessels.Yeah, I totally see that now! Good call. Lucas seems to like his marine machinery for Star Wars, besides your naval drydock comment there's also the AT-AT walkers which were partially inspired by the giant 4-legged cargo-loading cranes at the San Francisco docks.

JimJamBonds
06-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Granted this is bringing this thread back from the grave but something struck me as I watched ROTS on Sunday night. As it was pointed out repulsorlift technology is the norm in the SW universe. We've never seen a landing strip before but what struck me is with only a few exceptions we never see a ship crash land! Luke's X wing into a swamp. Luke's Snowspeeder into a pile of snow and Sebulba's podracer skids to a stop in the sand. We never see a ship CRASH in an area that is populated. Since there is no open area's on Coruscant there needs to be landing strips. Just my 2 cents.

JediTricks
06-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Coulda crashed into buildings, that would have been wild, or Ani's superior piloting skills could have aimed it towards a section of the city that was less inhabited and more industrial like the areas seen in AOTC (during the speeder chase through the power couplings and at the end where Dooku lands and talks to Palps) possibly even having Ani and Obi-Wan get Palps and R2 and themselves out onto a firefighter ship just before impact, or have the rescue craft grapple it and slow its descent.

JimJamBonds
06-30-2005, 03:04 AM
Those are some interesting ideas you have there JT. :)