PDA

View Full Version : Of the 6 Star Wars films now made, which one is your favorite and why ?

GBaxter
05-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Now that pretty much everyone has seen Ep 3, of the 6 SW films now made, which 2 or 3 Star Wars films are your personal favorite ones (compared to the others) and please say WHY, for each films named ?

Slicker
05-25-2005, 06:55 AM
Empire. Always and forever Empire. I love the Hoth battle (it has my favorite scene (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=25483)), the asteroid chase is fantastic, the love story is actually a love story and no cheesy lines (dreamy eyes :rolleyes:), Han gets frozen, taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. (guess the movie);)

Even the boring parts in the movie, such as most of Dagobah, I can easily watch knowing that better scenes are still to come.

megaprime33
05-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Right now it's a big toss between Empire and Sith. I have always liked empire, the best out of eps 1,2,4,5,and 6. But now that Sith came out and Anakin (without revealing spoilers) did what he did, same with the Emperor, that was really good. I have always been a fan of the darkside so obviously those 2 will be my favorite. But which is better......don't know yet.

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2005, 12:02 PM
I concur with the honorable delegate from the Virginia system ;). I'm a sucker for Han Solo and in ESB he's at his best ("Shut him up or shut him down!"). On top of that, Lobot makes his one and only appearance in the Holy Saga in this film. He's the real star.

stillakid
05-25-2005, 12:26 PM
The original Episode IV Star Wars A New Hope is still hands down the best all 'round best Star Wars movie ever made. Within the universe we're in, the situations and characters are all believable from start to finish, the characters are fun to be with and believable, and all the dialogue is perfect and believable. And the special effects are still far better (believable) than anything I've seen yet out of the CG world. But most importantly, A New Hope is just fun and exciting and engaging from start to finish.

The Empire Strikes Back is in second. While it has some absolutely wonderful moments, it doesn't carry from start to finish the way ANH does. I felt that Irvin Kerschner's direction was a bit uneven. The HOTH battle was too distant and documentary-like. I would have preferred to hear less of Luke's incessant monologue and seen more "WWII" style fighting in the trenches. On the plus side, ALL of the Dagobah sequences brought the true heart to the saga. After hearing snippets about the Force, we get to "experience" what it is via a completely believable puppet character. By far, one of the most magical moments of the Star Wars saga comes as Yoda lifts the Xwing from the swamp as the music swells. Then the brief exchange about Luke's failure says more about his character than 3 episodes of Prequels ever said about Anakin.

ROTJ is definitely third, but we can start to see the beginnings of Lucas's loss of control over the story. Arguably, the entire first half of the movie dealing with the rescue of Han was extraneous Expanded Universe material. It took us away from the galactic conflict and spent far too much time dealing with the personal problems of the primary heroes. While we needed to see Han get rescued, it should have been done in a half or quarter of the screen time so we could get back to the real story dealing with the conflict between the Rebellion and the Empire. But once we get back, the story picks up as we speed(erbike) through Endor and experience the best space battle ever built in a Star Wars film. Two of the best moments ever in a Star Wars movie occur in ROTJ: the first is Vader's pensive "look" out on the gantry after Luke leaves. The second is Vader's contemplation as Palps fries Luke. Both scenes manage to somehow show us true emotion in Vader despite the immovable mask. Simply and truly amazing.

Return of the Sith is a distant fourth. While being a "fun" movie, the only way to believe that is to completely ignore or rationalize away the problems inherent within the film itself and to ignore the problems that are being built on from the inferior TPM and AOTC. It's pure cotton candy with 60% less :rolleyes: moments that we experience in AOTC. Grievous was probably the best character as he "knew" that he was in a cheeseball campy B-movie and played to it while everybody else was acting as though they were remaking Lawrence of Arabia.

AOTC holds a solid 5th. On the plus side it makes the attempt to tell a story even though upon close examination, it is full of holes. But there are some interesting and enjoyable moments scattered throughout so that as long as you can stand some excrutiatingly bad dialogue and nonsensical sequences, there are some redeeming qualities hidden in there.

TPM by far is the absolutely worst Star Wars film made and definitely ranks up there as one of the empirically worst movies ever made period. While the Podrace is fun for what it is and watching Darth Maul and Ober's fight is cool, this movie is nothing but a waste of time in terms of advancing the Star Wars story. Like the "rescue Han from Jabba" sequence in ROTJ, the miniscule plot points that may be in TPM could have been told in 2 minutes within another movie, like ROTS. While I can appreciate Lucas's desire to "riff" on things he was interested in, like the Podrace, I would have appreciated it more if he had stuck to the story onscreen and then gone to create a series of EU "fanfilms" as ancillary materials that expanded upon his desires to "riff."

JediTricks
05-26-2005, 12:36 AM
For me, the original Star Wars has been my favorite consistantly since I was about 10 or so and got a better look at my then-favorite ROTJ. ANH has this magic to it, this natural adventure feel that seems so tangible, and it has this incredible serials pacing where something important - action or plot point, often both - happens every 15 minutes (give or take a minute) so there's nearly always something important to our characters going on, but it almost never feels rushed and gives the audience time to take it all in appropriate to the scene. The film also focuses on its characters very well, whether they're walking around or space dogfighting, the audience feels attached to the core members of the group at the moment, without sacrificing linear storytelling. Also, even though the presentation of new concepts to cinematic sci-fi like "that crazy bar" (as everybody used to call it when I was a kid), nothing feels like it's yelling for undue attention, instead an authentic used feeling is given to the look of that universe. Plus, while the cantina is full of crazy aliens, the universe we're given is still mainly run by humans, making it accessable and hinting at the unfair racism in their universe without making a big deal out of it. Everything in this movie's universe is shades of gray except for Obi-Wan, Luke, and maybe Leia, which feels exactly the way it should to me. And the film covers tons of different ground hitting lots of great notes with space battles, prison rescues, saber dueling, running firefights, mentoring in the ways of sorcery, and even more all within stemming from the hero's journey mythos stuff. The film looks great doing it, every set is real and the people are right there on location or on set interacting with the automatic doors and the Millennium Falcon's boarding ramp and the Death Star's droid dataport terminal.

Also, Ben Kenobi is a fighting wizard who isn't the crazy hermit or old curmudgeon we are expecting him to be, he's as much a man of action as he is a teacher, and always carries this aura of a magical guy with a twinkle in his eye and determination in his step - for me, Ben Kenobi is the core of the film, which makes it all that more the impact when he's killed 2/3rds into the movie. The acting in general strikes a lot of "right" notes for me no matter what age I'm thinking back to, the characters are played well but not over-the-top with method acting or over-emoting, Han Solo shows us he's a rogue but doesn't try to express in his eyes every innermost fear he has about taking on Jabba or staring down Greedo's gun; Luke Skywalker mourns for the death of his aunt and uncle but doesn't need to break down openly weeping to get the message across; everybody is subdued with the "drama" stuff but never giving flat performances like some do in ROTJ. Also, R2, 3PO, and Chewie are able to really sell their performances despite being droids and an alien, and 2 of which don't speak any recognizable language (with the help of 3PO and Han, which only goes to bolster their performances), they are very well-developed secondary characters. There's just such a fantastic rapport between all the various characters that feels natural and nuanced.

Another thing which Star Wars starts that the other 2 OT movies continue with is giving a real plotline and ample screentime to the villains, who despite being serial-quality simple baddies, are still actual characters with unique reactions to situations. Vader is iconic in the film, but even he bows to the real villain of the picture, the planet-killing Grand Moff Tarkin. Cushing knows exactly the right ways to chew the scenery and get away with it, his performance is so sorely underrated because he's not an action player but it really is in a league of its own while still being the perfect job for the serial villain role.

Ultimately, Star Wars will always be my favorite film because it is such a grand, magical adventure that feels so strong and balanced and honest and breathtaking, it mixes the usually exclusive worlds of science fiction and magic-driven fantasy in just the right proportions to tell an timeless story in a amazing new manner.

To me, ESB is probably the "best" film in the saga, but ANH is still my favorite.

InsaneJediGirl
05-26-2005, 12:55 AM
The Empire Strikes Back has always been my favorite.Always will be.ESB has to be my favorite movie because of the dark themes.Not to mention the shocker Vader is Luke's father-what could ever top that?Great acting/lines and a great cliffhanger ending,what more could a fan ask for? :D

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Empire. (And to anyone who says differently? "Blasphemy!" guess THAT film... :rolleyes: ). My obligatory ranking is as follows:
ESB
ROTS
AOTC
ANH
ROJ/TPM (these two frequently alternate right now)

Why? I love snow. The costumes are cool (Han's Hoth, Luke's fatigues, Fett). Yoda's advice and training. The group is so separate in their stories (Luke, Leia/Han, Vader, et al), you feel like you're going across the galaxy with them all. Shocking ending aside (I won't reveal any spoilers ;) ), it has almost as much action and fun as ANH, with a serious side that makes you ooze with an...tici...pation (guess THAT film) for the sequel.

darthdeogg
05-26-2005, 11:34 AM
In reference to both the "name that movie" it's the same answer for both: "Clerks"