PDA

View Full Version : May 25th, 1977-2005: Happy Anniversary!

stillakid
05-25-2005, 12:52 PM
To the hands down empirically best Star Wars film in the saga...happy anniversary to Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. We're sorry that the saga didn't quite turn out as great as it could have or should have, but we'll always have you to rely on. May your original version never fade into obscurity and may the new superficial videogame generation find value in your timeless story. :classic:

Salute'! <clink> :beard:

Ironically, to celebrate, I'll be viewing a digital version of your distant cousin, Revenge of the Sith, tonight. It is truly "down the block" from what Star Wars once was...not film, not as good, and a mile or so from the Chinese Theater. But I'll be thinking of you. :kiss:

Pendo
05-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Happy anniversary :D

PENDO!

Ji'dai
05-25-2005, 05:49 PM
I watched A New Hope for the first time in four years on Monday. Suppose I should've waited until today. Ah well.

I don't remember when I first saw Star Wars. The film was only released in what, 30-some theatres across the county in 1977? I doubt it premiered at any theatres in the backwoods hogwaller I called home. I probably saw it later in the summer or that autumn. I do remember going to see it with my dad for the umpteenth time when it was at the dollar theatre.

JediTricks
05-26-2005, 12:43 AM
Stilla, you went to the Arclight?!? You sellout! :p I went to the Vista (literally down the street from the Grauman's Chinese theater, 2 miles east where Hollywood blvd meets Sunset blvd) for the non-digital projection since I saw digital on opening day and I think the non-digital still looks better even if a few of the colors aren't as vibrant, but I'm quite bothered by the non-anti-aliased elements (blocky edges in square pixels) of digital projection (and JPG images).

Anyway, it's great to be around for the 28th anniversary of Star Wars, I made a long post about it in the Gen Disc section's thread about forumites' favorite SW films. I still love this movie, despite the changes it's received lately.

2-1B
05-26-2005, 01:39 AM
Happy Birthday ANH, sorry Alec Guinness always talked down about you. lol

Beast
05-26-2005, 01:54 AM
While I'll disagree with it being "hands down empirically best Star Wars film in the saga", I do acknowledge it for starting it all. And breeding superior sequels and prequels, that help make ANH a much greater film than it would be alone. After all, the Saga as a whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. So Happy Anniversary to the one that started it all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
05-26-2005, 08:20 AM
While I'll disagree with it being "hands down empirically best Star Wars film in the saga", I do acknowledge it for starting it all. And breeding superior sequels and prequels, that help make ANH a much greater film than it would be alone. After all, the Saga as a whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. So Happy Anniversary to the one that started it all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Kind of the way Christianity is better with Pat Buchanan and Tom Delay in it. :D

Imperial Monarche
05-26-2005, 01:56 PM
I wish I could have been around for the premeire release of ANH, but alas, the only original I was around for was ROTJ. I can't even remember the first time I saw the Star Wars films, just the prequels. Oh well, I still love the fact that even after 28 years, SW is running strong. Thanks George for the 28 (or, for me, 23) years of action, adventure and mythology from "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."