PDA

View Full Version : Tape removal on ROTS figure packaging

timothyemerson
05-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Regarding the tape on the ROTS figure packaging, has anyone tried to remove it? I managed to get the tape off one of the figures without incident. There is some glue residue left on the plastic side fins, but the cardboard is clean and the tape in the bottom corners came off most easily. Probably a little too excited, I tried a second time with another figure but ended up tearing the cardboard (at which point I did a Vader-getting-sabered-in-the-shoulder-by-Luke-in-ESB impersonation and ceased any further foolishness).

Iíve noticed with some of my older toys that some tape discolours cardboard badly while other tape will eventually fall off without ruining the packaging too much. Maybe leaving it for a few years until its adhesiveness starts to wane, then trying to remove it might be best.

Whatís the consensus regarding removing the tape on these figures? Are you guys leaving the tape on or taking it off?

"R4, scramble Code 5 to Coruscant care of the Old Folk's Home."

DarthQuack
05-26-2005, 09:28 PM
I've decided not to try and take it off for the same thing that happened to you on your 2nd figure :)

Veers
05-26-2005, 10:18 PM
No problem for me.

CooLJoE
05-26-2005, 10:42 PM
I've removed the tape successfully on every figure that I've done it to, which is about 3-4 so far.

You just need to have patience. And to get the leftover tape residue, I just do quick dabs at the area with the tape I just pulled off. It tends to grab the residue and pull it off the cardboard/plastic without tearing or scarring it. I've done this method for removing price tags and such as well, on pretty much every item I remove tape from (CDs, DVDs, figures, game boxes, etc).

darthleppard
05-27-2005, 01:11 AM
blow dryer...

heats the adhesive just enough to make it...unadhesive.

timothyemerson
05-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. My 1000 W 50 Hz Ralta Swinger has been running hot ever since!

For those who haven't tried:

1. Point the hair drier at the tape and heat for about 30 seconds.

2. Pick it up at one end and pull carefully, aiming the hair drier at the point where the tape is coming away from the card/plastic fin.

3. Viola! Tape off. (Almost always) no glue residue (glue residue can be removed by carefully heating the fin/card and gently rubbing with your sweaty mits). No damage to card or plastic (well, almost. Heating the plastic fins too much can warp them a tad. Poor Saesee Tiin copped the brunt of it). You'd never know that there was ever any tape there.

"R4, scramble Code 5 to Coruscant care of the Old Folk's Home."

Devo
05-28-2005, 09:29 PM
I really hate that cellotape on the boxes. It adds as much time to the opening of a single figure as that twisty tie crap back when they used to go overkill on it.

Jaina Solo
06-27-2005, 05:10 PM
I've only opened one ROTS figure so far, and I'm dreading opening the rest of them. The packages look very cool, but they're not that easy to get into, that's for sure. Maybe it's time to start using the hacksaw instead of the exacto knife? ;)

Jango Speck
11-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Now that I'm almost finished with this line, I've decided to open my clone army (for fun and to save closet space). I've never opened anything before (without damaging the card). I understand the method of using heat to remove tape. How do you then remove the top of the bubble from the front of the card? Same way? Basically, I was hoping to save the cards (as perfect as possible), and throw out the bubbles. Can't find a definitive "Openers" methodolgy anywhere on the forums.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Just curious, do you save the cardback? Is that why you take the tape off so carefully?

I myself have no trouble with the tape as I just rip mine open and throw everything (minus the figure) in the recycle bin :crazed:

Jango Speck
11-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Yes, the point is to save the cardback in as good condition as possible. If this ends up being too time consuming, I might just throw all the cards away, or save one of each type.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Yes, the point is to save the cardback in as good condition as possible. If this ends up being too time consuming, I might just throw all the cards away, or save one of each type.

I like saving the cardbacks too. It's kind of cool to remember how the figure lines have evolved...and to keep the memory of all the Hasbro goofs in making the cards.

I gave up trying to get all the plastic off the cards since I was badly ripping off the paper. For the ROTS line I do the following:

1) Using a cheap, thin boxcutter I slit the tape from the two backside flaps.
2) I then very carefully insert the tip of the blade in the space on the right side where the backside flaps meet the frontside bubble (about halfway up the card on the front) and slowly cut the bubble from the adhered plastic all the way to the other backflap.
3) Lifting up the bubble I slit the bottom part of the bubble from the card.

This works pretty well without shredding the card. If there is plastic chunks sticking up I just whittle them off until there's nothing sticking up. I don't address the drawback of tape and plastic on the card because I'm not patient enough to get it off without pulling off paper.