PDA

View Full Version : Luke's lightsaber skill

megaprime33
05-27-2005, 07:27 AM
I was thinking about this last night. How does Luke know how to make a new lightsaber for ROTJ and where does he get the energy crystal for it? Was it part of his training on Dagohbah? If so it seems kind of early to be teaching him how to build a new one. And why would he be trained since he already had one?

Frizz_himself
05-27-2005, 08:10 AM
it's easy obi-wan told him how.

Pendo
05-27-2005, 08:31 AM
I think he went back to Obi-Wan's hut on Tatooine and found instructions, or something similar.

PENDO!

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2005, 08:51 AM
How does Luke know how to make a new lightsaber for ROTJ and where does he get the energy crystal for it?
This is all discussed in the novel "Shadows of the Empire".

Captain Spoon
05-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Yup, Shadows of the Empire Explains it. If you hav'nt read it yet it is a very good book. For my money Prince Xizor (or however you spell it) was one of the coolest EU characters out there. It's a shame he wasn't a movie character:D

megaprime33
05-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Telling me to go read the book doesn't really give me the answer I was looking for, but ok. Anyone want to elaborate on it?

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2005, 11:36 AM
It's really nothing spectacular. Luke finds a book in Ben's hut (where he's temporarily hiding out) that has a thumb print sensative lock that Luke discovers he can open. Inside are the plans for building a lightsaber along with instructions on how to fabricate a crystal. I wish it were more exciting, but that's about it. :D

megaprime33
05-27-2005, 12:22 PM
That's it? Well at least I know how. That's pretty cool though, I wish they filmed that and had it in the dvd set. Hell you could create a whole movies just based on what happens between the films. Obviously we all know that, but I just wish they actually do/did.

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2005, 12:46 PM
I have been and continue to be a proponent of a "Shadows" movie. Will it ever happen? No. I'm not sure they need another SW film, but if they were going to base one on a novel it would have to be this one. Read it, megaprime33. I give you every assurance that you'll like it. :D

Rocketboy
05-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Yeah, Shadows of the Empire is the best Star Wars novel, IMO. But, it would have been nice if Luke getting his new lightsaber were more exciting though.

For me, Steve Perry really captured the feel of Star Wars with Shadows. With other books (including the Timothy Zahn saga), I didn't quite feel like I was reading something that took place in the Star Wars universe - they just had the same characters. Plus, Shadows has something most other SW books don't - Vader (and a look into what he's thinking)!

Blackened88
05-27-2005, 08:29 PM
I bought the book like 10 years ago but never got past the first chapter. :D I guess im not much of a reader, I was in 5th grade then so Ill have to go find it and give it another shot.

good shot jansen
05-27-2005, 08:39 PM
as i recall, in the radio dramatization of return of the jedi, luke is guided solely by the force in making his own light saber. i don't think it was indicated where he got the crystal, but there was no instruction book, or any manual for him to follow. he was guided entirely by the force.

rbaumhauer
05-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Just to balance things out a bit, I thought "Shadows of the Empire" wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. Horrible, horrible book, and a warning (given its "official" status) of the poor efforts that would be coming from Lucas himself in the following decade.

Also, the description of Luke constructing his new lightsaber was originally in the ROTJ novelization.

Rick

2-1B
05-28-2005, 03:53 AM
I thought Dash Rendar was lame . . . "okay guys, Han Solo is frozen so we gotta come up with a sub for him." lol

Monstermile
05-28-2005, 09:17 AM
I have been and continue to be a proponent of a "Shadows" movie. Will it ever happen? No. I'm not sure they need another SW film, but if they were going to base one on a novel it would have to be this one. Read it, megaprime33. I give you every assurance that you'll like it. :D

You and me both. I have always felt SOTE would make a great movie. It was one of the few EU books I actually could get into. I tried reading others but I got really bored with them.