PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland FINALLY gets its due...!!

JEDIpartner
05-27-2005, 07:45 AM
36 hours in Cleveland

The New York Times visits "flyover land for" 36 hours, and whaddya know? They're blown away, and presumably exhausted. And who wouldn't be after church-hunting and visiting "Soho on the Cuyahoga" in Tremont, the West Side Market, Great Lakes Brewing, the Rock Hall, the Warehouse District, Pickwick & Frolic, University Circle and Frank Gehry's Peter B. Lewis Building.

"Clevelanders remain, by nature, a self-deprecating lot. But before long, calling their town hip, cosmopolitan - even splendid - won't sound so ironic."

Hate to tell ya, but that time has come!

It was really nice to see Cleveland get some nice treatment for once. It really isn't a bad place to live. There's always something to do and at pretty much any hour of the day! It will be interesting to see a full article on their experiences in town.

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2005, 07:57 AM
I was in Cleveland in September of last year and I absolutly loved it there. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame wasn't as cool as I expected it to be, but seeing The Jake more than made up for it!

Frizz_himself
05-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Its Still The Mistake By The Lake

Exhaust Port
05-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Its Still The Mistake By The Lake

Yes, but it's OUR mistake by the lake. :) Home sweet home.

I'm really looking forward to the renovation of The Flats. I went down there for the first time in a few years not to long ago and it's nothing like it use to be. What a shame.

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm really looking forward to the renovation of The Flats. I went down there for the first time in a few years not to long ago and it's nothing like it use to be. What a shame.
What are the Flats and/or their significance?

JEDIpartner
05-27-2005, 12:19 PM
It was an industrial area that was renovated in the mid to late 80s and had loads of entertainment and nightclub complexes. Due to the number of stupid younger people who have fallen into the river after drinking too much, the bars started closing down due to increased liability and insurance concerns. They are going to be making the area more "habitable" with condos, apartments, shopping and restaurants. It should be nice...

The flats used to have some REALY nice clubs whereyou'd have to be dressed "just so" in order to get in. Dress codes were a big thing at places like Coconuts, The Playdium and a couple other places. That was half the fun... going out to be seen and stuff. Good times...

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the info, JP :D . I would love to visit Cleveland for more than a few hours on a sidetrack sometime. The 'vibe' (for lack of a better cliched word) I got when I was there was awesome. Seemed like there was always something awesome happening.

LTBasker
05-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Due to the number of stupid younger people who have fallen into the river after drinking too much, the bars started closing down due to increased liability and insurance concerns.

They should be smacked for standing in the way of natural selection! :beard:

Anyhoo, Cleveland sounds fun. I'm hoping to go up to Ohio in a year or so and will hopefully be able to pass through.

2-1B
05-28-2005, 03:50 AM
Plus you guys got some great recognition in the movie "This is Spinal Tap." lol

"HELLO CLEVELAND ! ! !"