PDA

View Full Version : Vader's mask and life support: off the rack?

stillakid
05-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Soooo, where exactly did Palpatine dig up this "costume" for Ani anyway? Did they just happen to have a spare "evil looking life support" bio-suit laying around? Pretty convenient, eh? :D

I got to thinking about that after seeing Grievous strutting around again. I don't know much about his backstory, but clearly he was some kind of fully organic creature whose main organs were placed into a "suitable" mechanical "suit."

Anakin's accident was unexpected as most accidents are. So where'd the suit come from? And don't they make these things so they don't look so darn evil?

JetsAndHeels
05-27-2005, 11:15 AM
This is a good question, and should be an interesting thread. I never really thought about it while watching ROTS, but you've got me thinking now..
My theory is that Palps wanted Vader to look very menacing, evil, intimidating. Since Vader is supposed to be his most powerful apprentice yet, I guess it only fits that he would be given the suit we all have come to know. Who thought of it, where did they get it? Well I guess that was just something that Palps & company had to work with given Anakin's condition at the time.

And as far as the origins of the suit, throughout the OT the Imperial ranks (like the death star gunners, AT-AT drivers, etc) have those German style helmets..perhaps the Vader helmet was the beginning of what would be a common theme throughout the OT.

megaprime33
05-27-2005, 11:44 AM
My theory on this is that each is just pieces of other equipment that the droids and Palps (i do feel he had some word on this) just fabricated the suit. I mean the components could have come from some pieces of equipment. Like his breathing apparatus could have come from like a Bacta tank or something.

JimJamBonds
05-27-2005, 11:46 AM
I agree Jango there must have been some desire to make Vader as bad ash as possible if not then why did was he made taller? I remember Rick McCallum saying afew years ago that we'd see some of Vader's suit before its on him... ie. Grevious. Well since that wasn't the case although it showed that cyborg's were around. Anywho I belive that the Vader parts were pulled together on the capital planet.

JJ

stillakid
05-27-2005, 01:22 PM
I agree Jango there must have been some desire to make Vader as bad ash as possible if not then why did was he made taller? I remember Rick McCallum saying afew years ago that we'd see some of Vader's suit before its on him... ie. Grevious. Well since that wasn't the case although it showed that cyborg's were around. Anywho I belive that the Vader parts were pulled together on the capital planet.

JJ

Then we would expect to see something similar to the Vader visage randomly lying around somewhere in the Star Wars universe? And if so, what on earth would it be used for?

ronhudy
05-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Is it just me...or did the body parts of the suit around the arms and legs look entirely too loose and rubbery? In the OT, it looks like it's much tighter fitting and of a different material altogether...

plasticfetish
05-27-2005, 02:29 PM
So where'd the suit come from?I'm pretty sure there's a "big, tall and sinister" men's store on Muunilinst. Maybe they got it there.

Captain Spoon
05-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Well... Palpatine knew he was eventualy going to end up facing Windu (who whooped his a**) and Yoda along with aot of other Jedi Masters, so maybe he had it all along for himself just in case he was injured during the final phases of his plan?? Or he did sense Vader was getting tooled on before he left for Mustafar, so maybe he ordered the suit to be constructed while he went and pick him up, again just incase. He did have this plan thought out pretty well in advanced, so the need for a life support armor might have come up in his planning. Either that or he just digs big guys in black leather with capes. I guesse we will never know

Rocketboy
05-27-2005, 04:34 PM
I'd guess that Grevious was test #1 in the new bio-mechanical moster labs.
Vader's armor was all ready to go for test #2 when a new "applicant" came around, and it happened to be Anakin.

JediTricks
05-27-2005, 09:55 PM
For a while, I kinda expected Vader's costume to be without the technology parts what he wore as a Sith *before* he needed the life support (after all, the chest box in the OT suit is on straps IIRC so before ROTS it could have been added on after the rest of the suit, same with the belt and helmet). Now, it's just "look what we have laying around for you", but I guess we're suppose to believe they made it there on the spot. IMO, this isn't something that NEEDED to be explained, but I would have liked to see some leanings towards it before he was turned into robocop.

stillakid
05-28-2005, 12:21 AM
For a while, I kinda expected Vader's costume to be without the technology parts what he wore as a Sith *before* he needed the life support (after all, the chest box in the OT suit is on straps IIRC so before ROTS it could have been added on after the rest of the suit, same with the belt and helmet). Now, it's just "look what we have laying around for you", but I guess we're suppose to believe they made it there on the spot. IMO, this isn't something that NEEDED to be explained, but I would have liked to see some leanings towards it before he was turned into robocop.
I just got this funny vision of Palpatine browsing the shelves full of various helmet styles and settling on the Vader mask. :D "Um, I'll take...this one. How much do I owe you?"

lol

Kinda the way he pulled the name out of his arse. "Here's your name...and here's your evil costume. Now go kill something."

darko666
05-28-2005, 12:33 AM
it's not the matter of where they go it, but how they got it on him so quickly and perfectly. those droids sure do have magic fingers.

Ji'dai
05-28-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a "big, tall and sinister" men's store on Muunilinst. Maybe they got it there.

That's about right. I doubt the suit was 'off the rack' - as the tops get bigger so do the waist sizes of the pants. Anakin is a slim, athletic fella. Why, there at the end he was practically burning the fat, and what extra weight he had simply melted off. So the costume was probably either a suit separate or tailor made.