PDA

View Full Version : New to collecting

Comac
05-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey all. Hope this is the right place for this topic? I have been lounging around the forums for awhile deciding wether or not I should get into collecting star wars toys. I was looking for a new hobby and I love the new toys so I have decided to start.

I bought one figure just an episode 1 palpatine because I saw it on clearance at a store near me but when I get my paycheck im going to hunt for some ROTS figures.

I have never collected before and I just want to know what kind of things to look for, what is there to know? What kind of figures go up in value and what makes a figure rare and just any beginners info really. If you have any advice to a new collector, lay it on me! :D

kool-aid killer
05-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi Comac, welcome to SSG. My advice is to get into the collecting hobby only if youre in it to enjoy it. Try not to see the figures as an investment or future cash cow for you because most of these figures arent going to be worth much in years to come. Buy only the figures you want, there is no point to buying something that you dont like, even if it does have the Star Wars logo on it. Army builder figures (such as clones and battle droids) tend to disappear faster than regular figures, along with those that are shortpacked in the case assortments. It can be a stressful hobby but if youre in it for the right reasons its quite enjoyable. Enjoy the forums!

redeemer
05-27-2005, 09:17 PM
I agree with Kool-aid Killer, only get into collecting Star Wars, or any toy line for that matter because you are a fan of the film or genre. A lot of new collectors get hot and heavy into thinking that toys produced today will someday in the future be worth what the vintage SW toys are worth. This is simply not the case. You are not going to send your kids to Dartmouth on your collection. Nor is your collection going to supplement your retirement fund someday. Collecting toys from a fan point of view keeps it fun and enjoyable, focusing on how much I can get for this variant and trying to track down every variation and production error can lead to disappointment and frustration, no to mention it is a pathway to the Dark Side. - redeemer

Kidhuman
05-27-2005, 09:27 PM
COmac, welcome to the boards

Get what you like, dont try and keep up with the Jones'. Everyone has different collecting habits, do what makes you fell comfortable

DarthQuack
05-27-2005, 09:30 PM
I've learned that being on a tight budget you can still get what you want and don't worry what anyone else thinks, because rule number 1, it's YOUR collection and no one elses.

James Boba Fettfield
05-27-2005, 10:07 PM
What to look for? If you see something and like it, buy it. ;)

Comac
05-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys :) I do love collecting and I love star wars I would probably end up passing this collection on to somebody someday anyhow. Picked up Vader, Yoda and a Red Royal Guard from the bay yesterday, had to go to 4 stores before I finally found one with Vader! And the store had a bunch of other ones I want there too. Payday I will pick up some more, anyways, thanks for the tips and I'll see you all around

megaprime33
05-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Good luck on your collecting adventures!

Ji'dai
05-28-2005, 09:41 PM
<waves hand> You don't want to collect Star Wars...

<waves hand> You want to rethink getting into this obsessive-compulsive hobby...

<waves hand> You realize Star Wars is a gate-way drug that often leads to collecting other lines...

Get out while you still can!

InsaneJediGirl
05-28-2005, 11:37 PM
LOL Ji'Dai

My advice would have to be very simple and what others have already said : Buy what you like.Even if everyone else thinks its the lamest action figure/comic/book/etc in the world,if it makes you happy its all that matters.

Second bit of advice would just to collect at your own pace and not keep up with your fellow collector.

Sith Lord 0498
05-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Second bit of advice would just to collect at your own pace and not keep up with your fellow collector.

Yes, because that's a sure-fire way to overextend your financial resources.

Turbowars
06-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Do not start collecting SW It's too late. Beside we don't need anymore competition at the stores.;)

Kidhuman
06-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Well, if he buys the pegwarmers, it will all good Turbo