PDA

View Full Version : "Evolving" Trooper armor....what for?

stillakid
05-27-2005, 04:03 PM
We see on Kamino that the design for the Clone Army has been decided long in advance of it actually being needed.

Then all of the sudden in ROTS, we see no signs of that armor design at all. It has been replaced by a dazzling array of styles and colors.

Then in the OT, the designers seem to calm down a bit as Trooper armor settles into 5 basic groups (standard white, TIE pilot, cold weather, AT AT driver, and scout). Did I miss any?

Point being, why? Why the constant change on the part of the emerging Imperial military? What was wrong with design #1 (AOTC) that would cause them to ditch it altogether in favor of this massive non-standard variety we see in ROTS? Then why change it again entirely after that? :confused: I mean, it's one thing if we're talking about business or casual wear, but this is military issue fatigues. What's going on here? :sur:

Beast
05-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Same reason why different military brances in the real world have various uniform designs. And even some who just have a different style of the same uniform. To signify the different units from each other, or to denote ranks. Even more important when you're dealing with Clones, who under the helmet all basically look the same. Not that there is that many styles, it's mostly the basic armor with additional capes or pads. The only real big difference is in the colors, which seem to indicate different units.

The color ranking seems more for those leading the clones, than for the clones themselves. Just so they know who are in their unit, and who is under the command of someone elses. Not to mention they're all under the command of various Jedi commanders, which may also be a reason for their various color designations. But when the Empire comes along, they're all solidified under his command. So a more unified design is switched to, one that instills fear in those who are enemies of the Empire. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
05-27-2005, 06:52 PM
But why the wholesale switch between AOTC and ROTS? :confused: I mean, besides the need for new toys for Hasbro to make... :D

darthvyn
05-27-2005, 09:43 PM
maybe the clones "couldn't see a thing" in those helmets...

seriously, though... it might represent an evolution in military technology. perhaps the new helmets (really the only big difference from the original clone trooper's basic armor...) have more versatility than the older ones, and the rank and unit designation colorations are to distinguish further between different clones. i agree with jjb's statement above as well, that once the emperor had control, he wanted a more uniform design for the clones to instill fear in the populace. not only that, but the color designations are for combat in a full-scale war, and the war is over by the time the OT rolls around, only hunting down the rebellion remains on the list for the imperial army. these are, however, more closely related to "police actions" than battles in a war, so the unit and rank designations are less necessary...

JediTricks
05-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Because Lucas has Adult ADD and has to change everything all the time. :p

Exhaust Port
05-27-2005, 10:24 PM
The way I look at is that such plentiful variations in armor are due to the on going war. During a war there are continual improvements and adaptations being made to all parts of the war machine and they happen at an accelerated pace. Look at the changes we saw in WWII in the matter of 10 years, props to jets. During a war though as new models come online you don't pull the old stuff out of service as it's still needed. During peaceful times the military has the ability to replace outdated equipment as new models become available.

For example, it was common during WWII to see everything from an A model fighter in the same unit as a D model fighter. Obvious differences were found between the models but the older ones still served a purpose. So at any given time there could have been 10 versions of a single aircraft type in service. Not the most efficient but it's a sign of the times of war.

After the conflict is over the military removes the most outdated models leaving them with the newest versions online. Improvements are still made albeit at a slower pace with the military eventually settling on a smaller group of equipment versions. You don't fly 20 different heavy bombers with 5 different versions of each, you fly 2-3 heavy bombers with only a few versions of each. You can afford outside of war to clean up the inventory.

So I see the Republic army as a result of the war machine needs. They are constantly improving/altering their equipment but aren't able to get everyone the newest armor. At first they start out with a fairly uniform military with just about everyone using the same equipment. The war gets into high gear and they keep adding new equipment and altering their old stuff according to the new battle environment. Once the Empire is established and the heavy battles stop the war machine takes time to consolidate their inventory and ends up with only a few space fighter versions, a few armor versions, etc.

Bossk77
05-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Because Lucas has Adult ADD and has to change everything all the time. :p

I agree with Tricks... lol. Seriously though I think Lucas was just trying to create a more streamline progression from aotc to new hope style. If i were to take a further whirl on the dork o tron,, i could put my reasoning behind that Lucas liked the LOLLY POP game when he was a strapping young lad and the coloration of the armor brought back fond memories.... Perhaps he wanted to create a matching game spin-off for children kind of like Elmo's ABC's Colors and Shapes for the NES back in the day. :crazed:

I honestly think the colors on the armor was for the battallion reason like above though. Would make it easyer to keep track of a squad that looked the same in full gear that if they all matched up at this point. In the origial trill troops were just sent. not the same battle structure or scale as the clone wars. Keep point Clone war troopers killed things effectively" note obi's comment in ep 4 regarding their percission" and Clone/recruit troopes get killed by ewoks... need i say more?

kool-aid killer
05-28-2005, 12:49 AM
I figured the change in helmets had to do with the ROTS one providing better vision than the AOTC ones, plus it eliminated the fin on top, maybe it continually got in the way. While watching AOTC with the commentary running someone made note of how Jango hits his head while boarding the Slave 1, the guy says something about the clones inheriting that (apparently Jango bonks himself often) and the change in helmets was meant to reduce that, though i have yet to see any clones do it. And i figured that the change from ROTS to ANH was due to them not being involved in a expensive full scale war, they could get away with being cheap.

bobafrett
05-28-2005, 01:02 AM
I look at it as a way for the Lucas money making regiem to pry into out wallets, making Lucas richer, and we have a bunch of army building collectors adding to his bank account. I still dig the original Stormtrooper armor the most, but like the stuff in ROTS.

jjreason
05-28-2005, 04:48 AM
In real life it can be something as simple as a contract for the uniforms being given to another manufacturer.

In Star Wars, it's to sell figures. :)

The Overlord Returns
05-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Well, why is it that year after year real world military forces seem to tweak or alter the designs of their various uniforms?

Perhaps if you find the answer to that question, you'll find the answer as it relates to episode 3.

DarkArtist
05-28-2005, 08:15 PM
the aotc version is the same as the rots versions. in aotc the colors indicate rank, hence red, yellow, green and blue. with the exception of the hemets and a few commanders the armor really hasn't changed.
even in the ot you had troopers, scouts, cold weather......true there were no major differences within the ranks but there was still armor change.

asiandoood
05-29-2005, 12:22 AM
i always thought for the adaptation of the enviroment they are fighting in.