PDA

View Full Version : My mom passed away, May 27th, 2005

bobafrett
05-28-2005, 12:47 AM
I was informed about an 3 hours ago that my mom has passed away after a long battle with colon cancer. She passed in my brothers arms, as he held her hand, and stroked her hair. She passed on around 7:30 this evening, May 27th 2005. She was only 59 years old.

If you would like to do anything, instead of cards or flowers I ask that you make a donation to the "American Cancer Society". I will be walking in the Relay for life, June 24th thru June 25th. I would appreciate your sponsorship as I will be walking in memory of my mom, Virginia Lynn Benecke. She fought a brave battle. She is in a better place now.

If you care to donate, make a check or money order to the "American Cancer Society" as a sponsorship donation. Any amount would be appreciated, $1, $5, $10, or whatever you can give. Please do not PM me, as my box is nearly full, instead E-mail me for my mailing address, if you care to sponsor my walk to find a cure for cancer. I can be reached at:

bobafrett_60126@yahoo.com

We are having my mom creamated, no services are planned at this time, just a celebration of her life her on Earth.

Sincerely, Bobafrett

kool-aid killer
05-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Oh man, thats sad to hear, especially given how young she was. There really isnt much i can say aside from im sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers. Take care.

Aaron

QLD
05-28-2005, 02:39 AM
I am sorry to hear that bobafrett. I went through a long ordeal with my mother's health after her stroke in 1994. She passed away in 1999. Perhaps you, like me, will take comfort that her suffering is over, and that she is in a better place now. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

2-1B
05-28-2005, 03:08 AM
I am very sorry for the loss of your mother, bobafrett. I hope you and your family can find peace. :(

mabudonicus
05-28-2005, 08:03 AM
BF- I am sorry to hear such news.
Your mother did a truly great service to humanity in being responsible for a solid dude like yourself (and I would imagine your siblings as well)
I'm sure you have done and will continue to do her proud.
Sincere condolonces to you and yours, man.

JetsAndHeels
05-28-2005, 08:53 AM
BF, my heart goes out to you and your family. You are right, she is now in a better place, but its always those who are left behind that have it the hardest. I know she is very proud of you for being the type of upstanding guy you are.
About the relay for life, I do the same thing each year in honor of my grandparents who I have lost to cancer. For the past 5 years, my father has walked 50 miles at each relay for life to raise money. I have been there every step of the way, serving as the "service shuttle", with the drinks and supplies he needs in the back of my vehicle. It is a great cause, and each year so many turn out and support it.

Kidhuman
05-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Bobafrett,

My deepest condolonces. May she rest in peace in the Lords hands. My prayers to you and your family.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-28-2005, 10:26 AM
bobafrett, I am sorry to hear that, but as others have said, the peace she feels now will hopefully bring some peace to you when you need it most.

My mom is currently in hospital recovery after undergoing ueterian (sp?) cancer surgery yesterday. She seems to be okay and won't require any chemotherapy. :) My school where I teach has sponsored an ACS Relay For Life the last two years (this year's was last weekend), so I've helped out with that as I can. It's definitely a worthwhile cause.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-28-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that, Boba. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family during this time. Please take comfort that she is no longer suffering and can be at peace.

Old Fossil
05-28-2005, 11:05 AM
You'll be in my prayers, B.

Chris

DarthBrandon
05-28-2005, 11:30 AM
My condolences to you & your family bobafrett, I lost my father to Cancer a few years back, it is difficult at first & it never really goes away, but you learn to live with it as a part of life. My thoughts & prayers go out to you and your family.

TC & Peace

B

Ji'dai
05-28-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm sorry to read about your loss, frett. My condolensces to you and your family.

It looks like cancer has also tragically affected many people's families here, including mine. Cancer is a great scourge; hopefully we'll see a cure for the disease in our lifetime.

InsaneJediGirl
05-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Bobafrett,I'm sadden to hear about your mother.I hope she is in a much better place,no longer suffering with her disease.My thoughts are with your family.:(

bobafrett
05-28-2005, 10:58 PM
My sister on the East coast had put a slide show together as a tribute to my mom. It brought me to tears, seeing pictures from many years ago, before my mom had cancer. She was full of life, and humor, and personality. It's those traits I will miss the most, but above all else, she was a mother. She was a twenty year survivor of ovarian cancer. One of my co-workers at Wal-Mart lost her 42 year old sister to cancer this last week. This makes me want to go get checked my health.

The attachment is my mom and I (I being the Tusken Raider).

Clonetrooper630
05-28-2005, 11:10 PM
My heart goes to you Mr Ferret, I also had to deal with cancer in my family and it takes a toll on everyone, as far as making a donation to the American Cancer Society, At my work place we are having a fund raiser tomorrow where we will be donating 20% of the sales from the hours of 4pm-9pm I don't know if it ok to mention the restaurant but if anyone is in the Monrovia CA. area P.M. so we can get a bigger donation to this organization I believe that they also will be taking straight donations in a small table. To the moderators if this post is not appropiate feel free to delete it.

Tonysmo
05-29-2005, 02:43 AM
Damn Frett., Im sorry to hear.
My prayers are with you, as I too have been through this. :cry:

Feel free to email me if ya need to discuss, vent, etc,. Id be happy to lend an ear.

Smo

bobafrett
06-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Just returned from seeing my family, and having a celebration of my moms life. I am so tired from the drive home, then going straight to work. So much to get done yet, and I don't even know where to start.

dr_evazan22
06-02-2005, 12:48 AM
I'm really, very sorry to hear about your mother passing away.

Hellboy
06-02-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm sincerely sorry for your loss Bobafrett, losing a loved one is never easy especially when they're that young, it just not fair. Speaking from experience the best thing you can do is to surround yourself with the people you love and in time the pain will somewhat subside as you come to terms with your loss.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-02-2005, 10:10 PM
BF, sorry to hear of your passing. Many of us knew about your mother's ordeal and you are definitely in many thoughts and prayers. Cancer is a demon that has touched most families in some way or another. Our community had the annual relay for life a couple of weekends ago, and our family always contributes to this growing event. Maybe one day we can finally overcome this sickness and families will no longer suffer in that regard.

bobafrett
06-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Our community had the annual relay for life a couple of weekends ago, and our family always contributes to this growing event. Maybe one day we can finally overcome this sickness and families will no longer suffer in that regard.

I am doing the Relay for Life in Normal Illinois. I am walking with my team the "Imperial Walkers". I am walking with members of the 501st costuming club. We are doing some of the walk in our armor. So far I have raised $85, not much, but I am trying to reach our team goal of $250 per person. I hope to raise much more than my goal, seeing as this is my first time doing this, I think I am doing pretty good. My mom did the survivor lap at the 2004 relay for life in Wisconsin, with my sister-in-law. I was hoping to do the walk in honor of my mom, instead of in memory of my mom. I still ask that you support me and my team. Any donation from $1 to whatever you can send would be welcome. You can reach me at: bobafrett_60126@yahoo.com Put "relay for life" in the subject line.

Thank you everyone, you are helping me through this tough time. :beard:

bobafrett
06-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Well, I have managed to date to collect $789 in donations for my cancer walk. It has helped keep my mind positive, and halped heal my heart. I hope that the money is put to good use. I will be walking in just over a week. I can't wait as the money collected has made me want to walk the entire 24 hour trek.

InsaneJediGirl
06-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Congrats on collecting the money Frett. I am amazed how you can turn a bad situation for yourself into some hope for research and treatments to come.

Good luck on your trek :)

bobafrett
06-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Congrats on collecting the money Frett. I am amazed how you can turn a bad situation for yourself into some hope for research and treatments to come.

Good luck on your trek :)

Thanks IJG! I raised even more over the last two days, and it now stands at $1,035.00 collected. Our team goal is $1,500 for the whole team, and I have almost raised that myself. I think that the people who know me and my mother, know how hard the loss of a loved one can be, and have reached a little deeper and have really made this a healing process for me.

Kidhuman
06-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Awesome job Frett.

bobafrett
06-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Well, we did the "Relay for Life" event, and it went very well. I raised $1,210.00 with a possible matching grant(s) of $1,000 and one of $50. My Team raised $2,303.00 (not figuring in the grants) and we won 1st place for best campsite. It was very touching, and moving. I am wiped out after walking this, plus we did a lot of stuff including walking in our Stormtrooper armor. They loved us, and I loved them, for being so receptive to these first timers at such an event. Pictures can be seen at the link below.

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=bobafrett&album_id=199404

I'm super, Thanks for asking!

2-1B
06-27-2005, 01:45 AM
Well done Frett, I'm sure your mom is very proud of you. :)

Congrats on the toy store prize !

Slicker
06-27-2005, 01:53 AM
Those are some pretty sweet pics Frett. Was it tough to run in the Stormie armor? I would have to assume it doesn't give very much when running...or standing for that matter.

I'm sure your mom was smiling at you from somewhere better.:)

bobafrett
06-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Well done Frett, I'm sure your mom is very proud of you. :)

Congrats on the toy store prize !

I gave it to a 14 year old cancer survivor. She thanked me and said it was her favorite store.

Those are some pretty sweet pics Frett. Was it tough to run in the Stormie armor? I would have to assume it doesn't give very much when running...or standing for that matter.

I'm sure your mom was smiling at you from somewhere better.

Um, I never have tried to run in my Stormtrooper armor, well when I was about 40 pounds lighter I did, but when you hit 40, and you still need to lose some weight, I don't recommend trying it. :beard:

I hope my mom was smiling, and not saying "your going to get heat stroke if your not to careful" :D

We also managed to bring the Relay story to the front page of the newspaper, during the past twelve years, the story only made it to the back page. Pretty darn cool, if you ask me.

Attachments are of "Team Imperial Walkers" and of the picture from the front page of the local newspaper.

Hellboy
06-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Congrats Frett, something to be proud of for sure. :cool:

Um, I never have tried to run in my Stormtrooper armor, well when I was about 40 pounds lighter I did, but when you hit 40, and you still need to lose some weight, I don't recommend trying it. :beard:

I thought of this guy after reading your comments Frett. Part of the 501st legion, he ran the NYC marathon in full trooper gear for charity. :eek: Ouch!!

bobafrett
06-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Yeah, that's Leon, he's a crazy Brit, but we love him. He actually had spare parts donatated to him so he coud modify the armor to make it easier to run in. I think it was the same marathon P. Diddy was in, and they had a special about Diddy doing the marathon, and I kept hoping to see him get passed up by a Stormtrooper.

JEDIpartner
06-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Cripes!!! Did this thread get buried??? Where in the world was I??!!

Oh, B... a close family member died from the same thing and I know how difficult of a struggle it was. My prayers are with you everyday. I'm glad to see that you are coping and getting back to your routine.

Love to you all...

- Dale

bobafrett
07-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Cripes!!! Did this thread get buried??? Where in the world was I??!!

Oh, B... a close family member died from the same thing and I know how difficult of a struggle it was. My prayers are with you everyday. I'm glad to see that you are coping and getting back to your routine.

Love to you all...

- Dale

I'm sorry to hear about your loss JP. I had my first major breakdown last night. I think it was because it was the first major holiday without my mom around. I couldn't even watch the fireworks last night, and I ended up calling a greviance counsoler to talk about my feelings. :cry: I've been OK since then, but now that the cancer walk is done, and I wasn't working that evening it felt like everything just fell in.

On a side note, my hard drive crashed which is another reason I haven't read this until now. I'm back up and running again, but now I have to restore what I lost.

bobafrett
11-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Today while at lunch, I got a call from my brother in Wisconsin that my last grandparent has died today. I came home from work, and have spent the afternoon searching through my photo albums for pictures of my grandpa. I don't have many, but I know they are in there. Anyway, I just feel better when I am able to share this, because I have no family close by to mourn with.

mtriv73
11-09-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather passing today, boba. I was really close to both of my grandfathers (and grandmothers) and it's certainly never easy when it's their time. You'll be in our thoughts.
-Matt

Kidhuman
11-09-2006, 07:11 PM
So sorry Frett. You will be my thoughts as well old friend.

CaptainSolo1138
11-09-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that, frett. Speaking as someone who hasn't had any biological grandparents for almost five years, I , along with Slicker, can attest to the fact that it isn't fun when the last one goes (not that it was any fun when the first one went). My sympathies to you and your family, bro.

Old Fossil
11-09-2006, 07:58 PM
I hate to hear that. I lost my grandfather (my "Pappaw," we called him) last year... he was really my step-grandfather, since both my biological grandads died when I was just a little thing; but Pappaw will always be my real grandfather, the only one I ever knew. He was a good man who put his family above all else. I have not stopped missing him. Guess that won't really go away...

I hope you will be well, Barry.:yes:

UKWildcat
11-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Sorry to hear frett. :cry: You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

kool-aid killer
11-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Im sorry to hear about that Frett. Those are the types of phone calls nobody wants to get. My thought are with you. Take care.

Slicker
11-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Like everyone else my sympathies go out to you, Barry.

because I have no family close by to mourn with.Whatdya mean? We're not more than a few mouse clicks away.:yes:

bobafrett
11-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone. I took the day off of work, and need to start going through my photo albums to locate pictures of my grandfather. Here is one of the pictures from one of my last visits to see him. My son sits to the left of my grandpa. I'm glad my son got to meet his great grandfather, as my great grandparents were all gone before I was even born.