PDA

View Full Version : What the...?! Is Ultimate Vader HTF?!

ronhudy
05-28-2005, 12:03 PM
I see plenty of them at Wal-Mart/Target in Las Vegas at the stadard retail price ($42-$45). Are they hard to find elsewhere? Is there any reason why this one is selling for such a high price?! Or are there just some really dumb people out there?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=101609&item=5977602644&rd=1

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-28-2005, 12:22 PM
The starting bid was 99 cents. For some reason, it seems like a few people bid on it to see if they can win it for a cheap price, but then they make it go way higher than it should be.

I don't really look for the 12" figures but I don't think that this is too abundant in my area, though it does pop up from time to time.

Ji'dai
05-28-2005, 01:32 PM
It's been <hushed silenced> AFA graded U95. <sound trumpets>

Since the movie release I'm seeing a run on Darth Vader toys in general. Even the Deluxe Anakin to Vader, a usual pegwarmer around here, are all gone. Kids love Vader.
The 12" Ultimate Vader is still easy to find but it was expensive to begin with.

Yesterday at WM a boy was trying to pick out some figures and ending up getting an Obi-Wan or Anakin. He tried to get his brother to get a "stormtrooper" (which happened to be the #41 SA Clone) so they could play, but the other little guy already decided on a toy car.

ronhudy
05-28-2005, 02:08 PM
It's been <hushed silenced> AFA graded U95. <sound trumpets>

Lol...I don't get the whole AFA thing. I mean, the whole point of having something AFA graded is if you're going to sell it, right? So does anyone think if they bought this thing for $160, that they're going to re-sell it at a profit?! I mean the thing cost $45, AFA grading is about $50...where do they justify spending another $60+?!?! So they can say "See...it's AFA 9.5! THAT'S why I spent $105 over retail price"?!

I'm so glad I'm not a serious collector anymore - the whole thing has gotten ridiculous...

LTBasker
05-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Most people get the AFA stuff so they can be sure they'll have a minty mint collectible for time to come. They know they'll have a decent collection, most likely in order to resell it years later when non-graded stuff might be more 'questionable.'

I find it pointless though for new stuff like that when you can just go to the store and compare to make sure you get something in good condition. If it's something like from the vintage line, that's excusable since there are alot of con artists out there so getting stuff professionally inspected is useful.

DarthQuack
05-28-2005, 03:30 PM
I hate how things get graded, that got me out of the collecting hobby for baseball cards when I was younger, it just takes away from so much fun collecting should be.

Veers
05-28-2005, 11:09 PM
It is only high dollar because it is graded. Big deal!

bobafrett
05-28-2005, 11:19 PM
It is only high dollar because it is graded. Big deal!

I just noticed under the sellers other items the following....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5977600285&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores

WTF? I wouldn't care if the guy took the trooper out a spit polished his armor, I would not pay that much for a 12" clonetrooper.

Val Da Car
05-28-2005, 11:48 PM
err..ummm not to tell anyone how to do their job but

hey

USE A FLASH....the pictures look like they were taken from the inside of a garbage bag...c'mon....

AFA graded...yea right.

ROTJLuke
05-29-2005, 02:01 PM
afa grading is useless in my opionion...you wanna keep a c-9 figure in mint condition, buy a feckin' starcase, its simpler that way...

Darth Cruel
05-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Looks like another example of people just having to have their figures graded. I posted a similar post of disbelief about a clone pilot that was going for 30.00 (plus 10 s&h) just because it was AFA graded. I still maitain that I can assign a percentage rating to my figures by myself. I am still checking on the RUMOR that I heard that said AFA gave a 95 grade to a phony vintage figure sent to them to test their ability to spot a fake.

ronhudy
05-31-2005, 04:37 PM
I just noticed under the sellers other items the following....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5977600285&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores

WTF? I wouldn't care if the guy took the trooper out a spit polished his armor, I would not pay that much for a 12" clonetrooper.

That's ridiculous! What's next...figures that were manufactured and packaged in a vacuum environment?!