PDA

View Full Version : Customizing clone trooper #6

Phantom-like Menace
05-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Have any of you guys tried taking apart the Quick-Draw Clone Trooper? I'd like to try painting one, but I'd prefer not to have to do it while it's assembled. I have no need to keep the action feature so I am not worried about ruining that when I put it back together. Of course if I were customizing a peg warmer in my area, I would just shrug, rip him apart and accept the consequences. I'd rather not just accept the consequences on killing a clone trooper just yet.

Sith Lord 0498
05-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Have any of you guys tried taking apart the Quick-Draw Clone Trooper? I'd like to try painting one, but I'd prefer not to have to do it while it's assembled. I have no need to keep the action feature so I am not worried about ruining that when I put it back together. Of course if I were customizing a peg warmer in my area, I would just shrug, rip him apart and accept the consequences. I'd rather not just accept the consequences on killing a clone trooper just yet.

It is possible to paint one without completely disassembling it. As I've said in many different threads, I find that Sharpie markers work best. Use the "fine" and "ultra fine" point styles. At most, you should take the helmet and removable shoulder pad off when applying the ink.

It does take a while to dry(I'd give it 2 days at most). To avoid smudging, only do certain sections at a time so you don't have to hold it where the marker's been used.

My advice is to customize many at once and set up a schedule. For example, do the helmets, removable shoulder pad, and upper torso all at once on half the figures. On Day 2, same deal but on the second half. Day 3, do the lower part of the figure on batch 1. Day 4, ditto on batch 2. Let them dry another day or so, and you'll have your customized color army.

I've used the Visual Dictionary and the Celebration III photos of MR's helmet replicas as reference for the placement of the markings. I've made 3 Shocktroopers so far, which have progressively improved each time. All those instructions I gave were through trial and error.

Times like this are why it really sucks I haven't invested in a digital camera yet. It'd be much easier to give you an idea how they turn out if I had pics. :mad:

mastermatt24
05-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Regular Folk Art paint apps. and weathering worked fine for me. I didnt have to unassemble him at all. Distpite the quick draw it is still really poseable. I would show you the clone but SSG doesnt like my pictures when I upload them...

Phantom-like Menace
05-29-2005, 03:43 AM
The Sharpie idea has certainly seemed attractive for Shocktroopers. Painting those fine red lines would be a bear. Sharpie's though would limit the color spectrum you would have available versus paint. The light bluish gray I want to paint the clonetrooper, for instance would probably not be a good candidate for finding in Sharpie colors. Now were I to use Sharpies for other clones, would I still want to seal them with something?

I suppose since I don't have a lot of places on clone troopers in which I need to paint the insides of joints doing it while assembled might not be a problem. The only place I can think of is the wrist. I assume that can be boiled and popped?

Thanks guys.

Sith Lord 0498
05-29-2005, 08:44 AM
The Sharpie idea has certainly seemed attractive for Shocktroopers. Painting those fine red lines would be a bear. Sharpie's though would limit the color spectrum you would have available versus paint. The light bluish gray I want to paint the clonetrooper, for instance would probably not be a good candidate for finding in Sharpie colors. Now were I to use Sharpies for other clones, would I still want to seal them with something?

I suppose since I don't have a lot of places on clone troopers in which I need to paint the insides of joints doing it while assembled might not be a problem. The only place I can think of is the wrist. I assume that can be boiled and popped?

Thanks guys.

Actually, Sharpie has variety packs of upward of 20 different colors, so it's not as limited as it seems. As for sealing it, I haven't tried that yet as I'm not sure what I should use as a sealant. The insides of joints can be done with a Sharpie as well since the most you'd probably have to color are the shoulder joints. Painting them doesn't work very well because the friction of the joints moving scrapes the paint off.

mastermatt24
05-29-2005, 01:47 PM
The only place I can think of is the wrist. I assume that can be boiled and popped?

You shouldnt have to do that at all- Just color/paint away!

Malest
05-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Prismacolor markers work very well, and they come in a trillion different colors. I've done a couple of generic clone this way and they turn out very nice. Just follow the same steps used for the Sharpie marker and it works great.

General_Grievous
05-30-2005, 02:36 PM
I painted one of my clones (from the deluxe three pack) to make it a shocktrooper. I used a red sharpie. Surprisingly, it worked pretty well. I painted the other two clones with a blue sharpie to make the Coruscant troopers. They look really good, as opposed to the boring, plain white color they used to be.

Phantom-like Menace
05-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Well, I made calls to some members of my friends and family, ordered two clone troopers and got lucky with two in my trooper search locally, so I will have a few more clone troopers than I thought I would. I am now psyched to try some Sharpie stuff on some of the movie clones. I may be most interested in doing the 501st, just so I can drill a hole through one, stick a 'saber through it and glue an especially feral looking Yoda running up his falling body, though as far as feral goes, I'll have to settle with the best Hasbro can give me. I'll still try a traditional paint approach for the legion I want to work on, but now the problem is finding time.

Thanks all.