PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a battle on Kashyyk?

stillakid
05-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Of course we have no idea why the Separatist worlds want to separate in the first place, due to poor writing by Lucas. Given that, one would assume that if any world or nation wanted to divorce itself from it's "motherland," it would just sort of declare it and then defend it's own land. For instance, if Texas wanted to be it's own country, it would simply say it and then expect that the military of the United States would come across it's borders in order to take control back. We see that happening in the former Soviet republics.

Which leads us to Kashyyk. Why on earth would the Separatists fly across the galaxy to attack another planet? What's in it for them? Like I said, we know practically nothing about their discontent or their overall cause, but if it was because they were simply not happy being part of the Republic, then wouldn't they just concentrate their energy on defending their own worlds? Why expend resources to attack another sovereign world?

Naturally, George just wanted to shoehorn a Wookie battle into ROTS somewhere to make up for not having them in ROTJ, but is there an actual story reason for this invasion?

The Overlord Returns
05-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Well, considering the two leaders of the separatist cause were actually in cahoots with the leader of the republic, and a sith lord, I'd say he gave them the order to take systems in battle and control them, using their inhabitants and resources for their "cause". The separatists were comprised of the financial powers in the republic, who KNEW that the senate was being controlled by a sith lord who they also KNEW to have screwed them over. They were actually separating under the illusion that they would be breaking away from a corrupt system. All this is plainly spelled out in AOTC, which I assume you have watched at least once, so perhaps you weren't paying close enough attention?

stillakid
05-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Well, considering the two leaders of the separatist cause were actually in cahoots with the leader of the republic, and a sith lord, I'd say he gave them the order to take systems in battle and control them, using their inhabitants and resources for their "cause". The separatists were comprised of the financial powers in the republic, who KNEW that the senate was being controlled by a sith lord who they also KNEW to have screwed them over. They were actually separating under the illusion that they would be breaking away from a corrupt system. All this is plainly spelled out in AOTC, which I assume you have watched at least once, so perhaps you weren't paying close enough attention?

Oh, I was paying attention alright and AOTC says nothing about why the "separatists" are separating. All we know is the the Naboo campaign didn't work out and then that the Trade Federation wants Padme dead in revenge. This doesn't explain why someone simply wishing to remove themselves from a political government (the Republic) would actively invade another system. IF the Separatists decided post-Naboo that they would break away because they "knew" that Sideous (a Sith) was in control of the Senate (which would indeed motivate Padme's line about being on the correct side in ROTS), then they still would have no reason to invade another world unless their purpose switched from "separating" to "overthrowing" the Republic. And that is never stated as a goal of the "Separatists." And even if it was, what would be the point of sending troops to a place like Kashyyk? Why wouldn't they be letting the systems of the Republic know what they know about Sideous? And then why wouldn't they mount a campaign against Coruscant? What good does overthrowing Kashyyk do them?

Bossk77
05-29-2005, 08:14 PM
I think Lucas did it this way to try to show that more of the Galaxy was involved in the fray. There were senators from every known planet in the Senate and if Sidi was to just stop involving other planets in battles, the Jedi in theory would have figured that it was all a coup to get Palp into power. Also it served to seperate all of the jedi out, keeping them ocuppied as Palps design unfolded. He couldnt let anyone know he was involved.

Ji'dai
05-29-2005, 10:03 PM
If I were Palpatine, I would make sure the war spilled over and included some of the more powerful systems in the Republic. War on these planets would destroy infrastructure, kill millions of people (maybe a lot more), and perhaps cause severe ecological damage. The war would leave many once powerful worlds severely weakened.

So when Palpatine declares himself Emperor, these once powerful worlds would be unable to really mount a challenge to him. I think that's why the Separatists are made up primarily of the galaxy's financial powers. Palpatine knew that in the end, the front lines would eventually engulf those worlds and they would end being occupied by his clone army. Kashyyyk may also have been one of those worlds that Palpatine wanted to make sure was weakened in the conflict. Wookies are a strong species physically, and may be reknowned throughout the galaxy for their courage and fierceness in battle. It was probably a good idea to make sure the conflagration spread to their planet.

This is supported in Episode IV's opening crawl, which tells us that the Rebellion has just won it's first major victory against the Empire. Supposedly the political faction opposed to Palpatine was organized shortly after he declared himself Emperor. However, as we see in Episode IV, it was nearly 20 years before that opposition was strong enough to launch military strikes against his Empire.

JediTricks
05-29-2005, 10:35 PM
This is one that I can personally chalk up to "they wanted it", probably for its resources or strategic location. I didn't feel any qualms on them trying to take it over, though Padme's comments about being on the wrong side suggests that the Separatists are the more noble side of the war which makes "wanting it" a little ridiculous, but I did feel like the whole thing was a bit hollow and almost pointless to include, it reminded me of the SE inclusion in ESB of the Wampa, it looked cool but it also looked out of place and like a guy in a white bigfoot suit standing in front of a VERY small set.

Dang it Stilla, now you've made me think of another issue that I think needs addressing.

stillakid
05-29-2005, 11:45 PM
Dang it Stilla, now you've made me think of another issue that I think needs addressing.

You left us hangin' ! :eek:

JON9000
05-30-2005, 10:17 AM
AOTC says nothing about why the "separatists" are separating. All we know is the the Naboo campaign didn't work out and then that the Trade Federation wants Padme dead in revenge. This doesn't explain why someone simply wishing to remove themselves from a political government (the Republic) would actively invade another system.
I think the separatist movement started because certain systems felt they were being unfairly taxed, sorta like a separatist movement we had in our own little country. ;)

While this area could have used more development, I can live without it. Politics was ever so lightly touched on in TPM and every critic from here to Shiznizzit, Kyrjackistan derided GL endlessly for having "boring politics" in Star Wars.

stillakid
05-30-2005, 12:13 PM
I think the separatist movement started because certain systems felt they were being unfairly taxed, sorta like a separatist movement we had in our own little country. ;)

While this area could have used more development, I can live without it. Politics was ever so lightly touched on in TPM and every critic from here to Shiznizzit, Kyrjackistan derided GL endlessly for having "boring politics" in Star Wars.

Well, that's the real problem...the "boring" part. Politics or whatever don't automatically have to be "boring" in a fictional story. Its all in the presentation which means that it falls to the writer to be responsible for including the necessary information in a manner that conveys what needs to be said and is also, in some respect, entertaining. To just toss it out the window because the writer isn't skilled enough to pull it off is lame. This story is ABOUT the politics and Lucas left out the entire catalyst for everything that is going on. That'd be like having a murder mystery in which we never see who is murdered or how or find out why. What fun is that?

JimJamBonds
05-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I think its simply to show that the war isn't just on a planet or two but across the universe. We see several planets that the war is on for only a few seconds, since we do know of Wookies it makes sense to have an 'extended' fight with familar characters. Also as stated before it draws more planets into the fight which makes it an even bigger mess killing more etc etc. Which makes it easier of Palpers to take control.

Jim Jam

Bossk77
05-30-2005, 01:57 PM
But the most vital question remains unanswered.... Why are Wookies furry? Common you know you have always wondered. Hey, why arnt these guys hairless like the Naked Mole Rats you see at the zoo? Black magic perhaps? An accident with Rogaine? Is the Hair Club for Men to blame???? Think about it....:crazed:

JimJamBonds
05-30-2005, 02:08 PM
I'd say they are an offshoot of monkey's etc......which means that Wookies would be some sort of cousin to us.:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Bossk77
05-30-2005, 02:11 PM
I'd say they are an offshoot of monkey's etc......which means that Wookies would be some sort of cousin to us.

I was pulling for the Cousin IT Theory.:crazed: He is to ligit to quit yo!

JimJamBonds
05-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Could be, I forgot all about the Adams Family angle!

tagmac
05-30-2005, 03:03 PM
There was a battle on Kashyyk? I blinked at one point during the movie, so I must have missed it. :frus:

In all seriousness, Wookiees are reknown for their superior size, strength, and ferocity. A definite threat to anyone trying to take them over, as well as an excellent benefit to a group of insurgents looking to overwhelm an oppresser. According to the backstory, they were enslaved by the Empire, likely for this very reason. Therefore, it makes perfect sense that troops would be sent there, as well as fitting in perfectly with the storylines set up by the OT, something many people on here have been complaining about NOT happening since TPM came out.

Bosskman
05-30-2005, 06:37 PM
It seems to me that, not long after AOTC there was something on the official site about the Wookies joining the seperatists. That, to me, seemed like a good idea. Having the Wookies be "bad" would be something that nobody would expect from the prequels but it would make sense why the clones were on Kashyyk, they'd be fighting those damn dirty seperatist wookies. The next thing i know, we have the droid armies invading the wookie planet. WTF? The only possible way for this to make sense is that the wookies changed sides during the wars and the seperatists decided to get them back by invading them. Maybe they were convinced to stay in the republic by Yoda (he does have "relations" with wookies after all) (no not those kind of relations either, well, maybe but that's another topic.....). Anyway, that's my explanation for it. Oh yeah, that and it was all Palpy's plan for revenge against the wookies, he was propositioned by a shaven wookie prostitute in the seedy backstreets of Theed as a young man and was never the same since.....

Bossk77
05-30-2005, 06:41 PM
THe thought of a shaven wookie prostitute is almost as replusive as a Whippid shaven prostitute. yuck. :D

2-1B
05-31-2005, 03:23 AM
What I'd like to know is who removes the dried up fecal crusts from their shaggy hair ?
In the real world I just use a scissors for my dog . . . so does Han Solo do this for Chewie ? And is his hand more steady than Tarful's, thus explaining why Chewie left Kasshyyyk ?

JediTricks
05-31-2005, 05:50 AM

While this area could have used more development, I can live without it. Politics was ever so lightly touched on in TPM and every critic from here to Shiznizzit, Kyrjackistan derided GL endlessly for having "boring politics" in Star Wars.It's funny, Lucas himself said of the prequels that the main plot was "thin… It was not written a movie. It’s basically a character study and exhibition piece about politics – two things that are not dramatic.", which I find shows his lack of commitment to the subject matter since his claim about politics and character studies is something William Shakespeare and Lucas's own cinematic idol, Akira Kurosawa, would disagree with (judging by their works, anyway).

In all seriousness, Wookiees are reknown for their superior size, strength, and ferocity. A definite threat to anyone trying to take them over, as well as an excellent benefit to a group of insurgents looking to overwhelm an oppresser. According to the backstory, they were enslaved by the Empire, likely for this very reason. Therefore, it makes perfect sense that troops would be sent there, as well as fitting in perfectly with the storylines set up by the OT, something many people on here have been complaining about NOT happening since TPM came out. All true, however it doesn't directly explain why the Separatist troops took the fight to that planet. If the Separatists were looking to get the Wookiees to join them against the Republic, attacking them wouldn't seem the best manner of doing this, it worked so well on Naboo after all.

The Overlord Returns
05-31-2005, 10:29 AM
All true, however it doesn't directly explain why the Separatist troops took the fight to that planet. If the Separatists were looking to get the Wookiees to join them against the Republic, attacking them wouldn't seem the best manner of doing this, it worked so well on Naboo after all.

No, if there cause was true it wouldn't make so much sense. But, the separatists are gulls as well, being led by a sith lord, and a sith cyborg who are in on the plot with Palpatine until such time as they become expendable. So, there's not going to be anything other than a pat explanation, because that is probably what the likes of Viceroy Gunray were given by their false leaders. Palps probably knew that when the hammer dropped, a planet full of proud, noble, vicious wookies wouldn't go so easily, so he would want a massive military presence there when he made the change from good guy to true colours.