PDA

View Full Version : Possibilities for a 6-inch-scale line? (merged)

sevboot
05-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Something along the lines of DC Direct figures, not Marvel legends.
I would love to have a cool, detailed Vader, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Palpatine in this scale. Has anyone heard anything?

Captain Spoon
05-17-2005, 09:57 AM
My Uncle is a Modler for Hasbro and he has given my no indication that Hasbro will stray from 3 3/4" figures at least under this license (which I think will expire in 2008) I could be wrong though there is info that they are not alowed to share. I Myself would settle for 3 3/4" Jedi with Frigg'n robes. (cloth ones) I am so sick of it it is so annoying. almost every jedi wears a robe. However the Evolution Anakin seems promising, the detail is nice, and parts of his attire are made in cloth.

sith_killer_99
05-17-2005, 11:28 AM
I have brought this up before and I would LOVE to see a 6/7 inch detailed and well articulated line! Something between an DC Direct and Marvel Legends.

Unfortunatly, I do not believe Hasbro will go that route. First of all they have the Unleashed line, which is great as it is and should be left as it is, IMO. Secondly, and most important, they would have to compete with DC Direct and Marvel Legends. I don't think Hasbro wants to do that. By "compete" I don't just mean price, but quality detailed sculpts. No, I don't think Hasbro has what it takes to go that route.

However, here are some 7 inch figs I would love to see done:

Darth Vader with removable helmet
Stormtrooper with "Sandtrooper" accessories (allows him to change)
Luke Jedi with interchangable hands (gloved, burned, flesh color)
Han Solo Smugglers outfit with gloves
Boba Fett

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-17-2005, 11:48 AM
I really hope that they never stray completely from the 3 3/4" line. There's so many different non-basic lines that I don't think that a 6" line would be too out of the question.

Wait, didn't they try this a few times? There were those big Obi-Wan, Maul, and Destroyer Droid figures in the POTJ line, and the Epic Force line was around a while too. But neither of those did too well, so I don't know if they'd want to try to do another one.

beckmen
05-17-2005, 12:49 PM
McFarlane-esque line!!! McFarlane-esque line!!!

But keep doing 3 3/4 figs and accesories. That's the bread and butter of SW collectors like myself. It's tradition, you don't frig with tradition!

JediTricks
05-17-2005, 10:31 PM
The license expires in 2018, not 2008. As for the chances, Hasbro has already pulled the SW version of a GI Joe Extreme fiasco with Epic Force and Force Battlers, I don't think they'd ever switch from their bread and butter. I had an idea for a super-detailed, super-articulated, core-character-only line of 7" figures, put it up during a poll here and everybody HATED it. Fans are too afraid of change to let this sort of thing happen. Also, the thing that Hasbro gets the most out of staying with this scale is the ability to use old tooling which they inherited from Kenner, it's a major cost-saving device and would be destroyed by going to a larger scale.

JON9000
05-18-2005, 07:59 AM
I would rather them make the 12" line worth a food stamp.

megaprime33
05-18-2005, 09:02 AM
I would rather them make the 12" line worth a food stamp.
I agree actually. Why can't them make the 12" figures FIGURES and not dolls. Why use cloth instead of just plastic? Spidey had a 10" line of figures that were great! Why not use that concept instead of the one they have? Do they really want to make them like GI Joe?

I think the 6" line would be a great idea but for all the reasons previously mentioned I highly doubt it will get made. Hasbros answer to the 6" line are the force battlers. :rolleyes: I'd rather just get the unleashed figures.

sevboot
05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Hey, I like the 3 3/4" line too. I'm not saying they should replace that line, just add another one. Anything would be better than Force Battlers.
And it would not be McFarlane-esqe. Is'nt that pretty much what Unleashed is?

CaptainSolo1138
05-18-2005, 10:58 AM
When the "Movie Maniacs" line was at it's peak, I wanted to see a Vader (even though I knew licensing would never allow it). I'm not sure Hasbro needs to release an entire line of these, but if they did a couple waves of core characters (and Boba Fett, because people would buy it :rolleyes: ) a la VOTC I wouldn't have a problem with it. But they'd need to nip it in the bud before Sio Bibble got his own 7" figure.

beckmen
05-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah, the 6 or 7" figs wouldn't be all crazy like that. Core characters and fan favorites (Fett) only.

Unleashed isn't like McFarlane. They have no articulation that I know of, and cost a whopping 15 bucks. Plus, they are igger than McFarlane ones. The line I dream of would be in the 10-dollar range, feature nicely articulated figures with accessories, awesome sculpts and nice paint jobs. Like the Movie Maniacs line...

Malest
05-18-2005, 03:37 PM
I have commented on this before in another thread, but I would love to see this done. A line sort of like the Toybiz LOTR line would be fantastic! 6" scale super-articulated clone troopers would be outstanding!

JediTricks
05-18-2005, 11:33 PM
I agree actually. Why can't them make the 12" figures FIGURES and not dolls. Why use cloth instead of just plastic? Spidey had a 10" line of figures that were great! Why not use that concept instead of the one they have? Do they really want to make them like GI Joe? Because the key to Hasbro's 12" line has always been about using the same body over and over, just with new heads and clothes and accessories, this type of thinking has been the key to Hasbro's success since 1964.

Malest
05-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Just a quick question about the toy license,

Does Hasbro have exclusive rights to make all action figures for SW, or could a seperate license be sold to someone like Toybiz/NECA/Mcfarlane for a 6" line?

beckmen
05-19-2005, 03:13 PM
I am 99% sure they have exclusive rights, and won't give them up. I am pretty sure McFarlane wanted to make Movie Maniacs figs of Vader and prolly some others, but couldn't secure the rights from Hasbro.

JediTricks
05-20-2005, 04:22 AM
They have exclusive rights to non-building-brick toys until 2018, though as I understand it Lucas did kinda strongarm them into giving Code 3 Collectibles a sub-license to do their high-end die-cast vehicles, and I hear Hasbro went into that deal kicking and screaming (proverbially, of course ;)).

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 07:54 AM
They have exclusive rights to non-building-brick toys until 2018, though as I understand it Lucas did kinda strongarm them into giving Code 3 Collectibles a sub-license to do their high-end die-cast vehicles, and I hear Hasbro went into that deal kicking and screaming (proverbially, of course ;)).

Why??? So Hasbro could sit on the rights, not produce anything, and deprive collectors and fans of quality merchandise. If I were in charge of SW product development for Hasbro, I'd be looking at the merchandise other licensees are putting out and either be shaking in my boots or making a concerted effort to produce higher-quality product as well.

Face it, beyond this year, the line will be supported almost exclusively by collectors. If they can't keep things interesting and make a genuine effort, then they will lose us too. I can only speak for myself on this, but I've already starting moving on to Gentle Giant, Master Replicas, Code 3 (the ESB sculpted poster is on pre-order), etc. Along with that, I've been cataloging the Hasbro merchandise I don't want anymore. Unless 2006 and beyond yields lines far surpassing what's been released, I'm out of the Hasbro arena with maybe an exception here and there.

WesleySr
05-21-2005, 10:16 PM
I agree with you Sith Lord, once the kids lose interest, we will be the ones keeping this line going. If Hasbro does not start listening more to collectors, they may find themselves with a worthless license and tons of merchandise that they cant give away.

JediTricks
05-22-2005, 05:42 PM
I agree with you Sith Lord, that long-term contract will likely end up biting us in behind in a few years, but Hasbro's problem here is risk, until the Unleashed line their track record with new scales and concepts for Star Wars figures was abysmal. Also, they see results like this: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=22326
and realize how fragile their hold on the collector base really is, they see a lot of collectors saying they'd leave Hasbro's Star Wars brand if they changed scales. A lot of fans over the past year have said things like "I cannot wait for the 3 3/4 inch line to be over so I can be done", that's a very tenuous spot for Hasbro to be in, if they try to divert too much interest to another scale collectors are sure to revolt. It's too bad too, there are a lot of really great options out there but Hasbro's fear and track record combined with collector inflexibility makes it almost impossible to try new things.

sevboot
05-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Again, THIS LINE WOULD NOT REPLACE THE 3 3/4" LINE!!!!
It would be another line, just like Unleashed or Force Battlers.
So if they would try lines like that, why not try one that makes sense and collectors would love?

dindae
05-23-2005, 08:34 AM
They tried a 6" line once back during the Episode I blitz and it bombed big time. No it was no where near the quality of the Marvel Legends line which I'm sure everyone is thinking of when they are imagining this line. If they did it really well I might buy some of these figure but the bigger part of me hopes they don't because I'm not wanting to add to the lines I collect. I will be happy when the E3 blitz will be over so I can get back to only finding one wave of figs a month.

megaprime33
05-23-2005, 09:07 AM
You know if they did a 6" line and called it Star Wars Classics and had it be the core characters with chase figures (rocket launching boba fett maybe?) then I can gurantee people will buy them. Just do 4 figures per wave and then if it is successful, to start release non-core characters (various Jedi) on later waves.

JediTricks
05-24-2005, 04:23 AM
They tried a 6" line once back during the Episode I blitz and it bombed big time. No it was no where near the quality of the Marvel Legends line which I'm sure everyone is thinking of when they are imagining this line. If they did it really well I might buy some of these figure but the bigger part of me hopes they don't because I'm not wanting to add to the lines I collect. I will be happy when the E3 blitz will be over so I can get back to only finding one wave of figs a month.
You speak of the 7" Mega Action Figures, they came out in the POTJ line and were an astounding failure, due in no small part to the miserable case assortments. The 3rd and last figure was the transforming destroyer droid which is much better than the Obi-Wan and Maul figures. I still think that line would have done better to start with OT characters, but it's definitely not what we'd want today.

WesleySr
05-24-2005, 07:11 AM
Something similar to the Marvel Legends would be awesome. Just don't reuse the same body molds over and over. They could really do some cool things with a 6" line, if it was done correctly. Could you imagine a 6" Jedi Council scene, with super-articulated figures and nicely done soft goods. Only bad thing about it is that they couldn't do alot of the larger vehicles due to the size.

sevboot
05-24-2005, 08:29 AM
No soft goods!!!! That's part of what made the 7" figures suck. Soft goods never look right on anything smaller than 12". Never. Ever. Never.
This would be a collector line with awsome sculpting (including the soft plastic capes and robes), and very well done articulation. For the Jedi figures I think it would be cool to have interchangable arms for the robes, like the Full Metal Alchemist figures from japan:
http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYSQ-15
The main robe piece would be removable so you could have the Jedi in his robe or ready to fight wih his robe off. NO SOFT GOODS. It's bad enough this has taken over the 3 3/4" line.

WesleySr
05-24-2005, 04:46 PM
No soft goods!!!! That's part of what made the 7" figures suck. Soft goods never look right on anything smaller than 12". Never. Ever. Never.
This would be a collector line with awsome sculpting (including the soft plastic capes and robes), and very well done articulation. For the Jedi figures I think it would be cool to have interchangable arms for the robes, like the Full Metal Alchemist figures from japan:
http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYSQ-15
The main robe piece would be removable so you could have the Jedi in his robe or ready to fight wih his robe off. NO SOFT GOODS. It's bad enough this has taken over the 3 3/4" line.

I have the perfect solution. Since we will never be able to agree on the soft goods issue, package both. Package the figures wearing removeable plastic capes and then package cloth capes that those of us who favor the soft goods can replace those UGLY* plastic capes with.

(*Sorry sevboot, but I had to take at least one shot back at them. :D )

sevboot
05-25-2005, 07:48 AM
No problem, to each his own. It's just a matter of what each person likes. I will say this, when cloth is done right on a large scale figure it's awsome. Case in point, Medicom Darth Vader. Man, if I had the money for that thing, it would be mine.

armypunk35
05-30-2005, 02:11 AM
I think they should do away with the 4 inch figures. Yeah, they're classic and neat, but come on. Have you seen Marvel Legends? How cool would 6 or 7 inch star wars figures with massive articulation? Now that is a line I would love to see. However, they would be a little more expensive.

darko666
05-30-2005, 02:16 AM
personally i like the 3.75 inch figures the best, always have. as nice as it would be to see some SW characters be made the same way the Marvel Ledgends figures are, it will never happen. though it would be cool to have a articulated Darth Maul.

beckmen
05-30-2005, 03:17 AM
We talked about this before. I am sure the concesus is (and I whole-heartidly agree) that the 3 3/4" figures rule and need to stay, but most of us would like to see Marvel Legends (Me McFarlane-esque) kind of line of 6 or 7" figs to come out, but NOT replace the 4" figs.

JediTricks
05-31-2005, 03:40 AM
I don't think Star Wars can ever totally abandon the 1/18th scale (Kenner's 3 3/4" original size is supposed to roughly correspond to this) because the cost of the many vehicles would be too expensive for Hasbro to consider, and vehicles are still an important part of the line (and in fact, were at 1 time was Hasbro's bread and butter, GI Joe:RAH figures were done in part to sell the vehicles, I submit that Kenner had similar considerations). The 1/6th-scale line (the 12" line) has had only a handful of vehicles and beasts in its decade-long run, and all of them were small vehicles and relatively-small beasts yet they still cost a lot of money and weren't that fun, a 1/12th-scale line (6") would make for great figures but even core vehicles like the X-wing would be prohibitively expensive, and consider how many vehicles that size or larger are in Star Wars.

WesleySr
05-31-2005, 04:39 AM
I don't think Star Wars can ever totally abandon the 1/18th scale (Kenner's 3 3/4" original size is supposed to roughly correspond to this) because the cost of the many vehicles would be too expensive for Hasbro to consider, and vehicles are still an important part of the line (and in fact, were at 1 time was Hasbro's bread and butter, GI Joe:RAH figures were done in part to sell the vehicles, I submit that Kenner had similar considerations). The 1/6th-scale line (the 12" line) has had only a handful of vehicles and beasts in its decade-long run, and all of them were small vehicles and relatively-small beasts yet they still cost a lot of money and weren't that fun, a 1/12th-scale line (6") would make for great figures but even core vehicles like the X-wing would be prohibitively expensive, and consider how many vehicles that size or larger are in Star Wars.

Very good point JT. Could you imagine a 6" or 7" scaled Falcon? It would almost be as large as 4 of the 3" Falcons. And I could not imagine targeting a line like that at kids, especially with no core vehicles. They definitely need to keep the 3" line.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Something along the lines of DC Direct figures, not Marvel legends.
I would love to have a cool, detailed Vader, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Palpatine in this scale. Has anyone heard anything?No way this'll EVER happen. Nope. Nev-ah.

Lord Malakite
03-08-2014, 10:16 PM
No way this'll EVER happen. Nope. Nev-ah.
Yeah, the day this happens is the day Disney buys the franchise. Fat chance that will ever happen.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Yeah, the day this happens is the day Disney buys the franchise. Fat chance that will ever happen.Lucas said, "this is the end; I've told the whole story," and "these are MY movies." So that won't ever happen, either.

Thread closed?

El Chuxter
03-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Maybe there can be some 6-inch figures to tie in when Marvel adapts Episode VII. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
03-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Maybe there can be some 6-inch figures to tie in when Marvel adapts Episode VII. :pHey, wasn't Ulton's body seen in the Jawa sandcrawler or Ugnaught Cloud City scenes? ;)