PDA

View Full Version : The 12 inch line is dead....

General_Grievous
05-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Yep. Sad to say it, but it's dead. I know there's no official word from Hasbro yet, but I just know that there won't be any more 12'' figures. From Hasbro, at least. Why is this, you ask? Not enough demand for them, or so they say. I don't understand that. There's plenty of demand right now! I haven't seen any 12 inch Ultimate Villain Vaders or Grievous since April! Has Hasbro stopped shipping these out or what? Plus, they've completely checked out with making new figures. They've denied a ROTS Obi-Wan. There are no other 12'' ROTS plans or any other 12'' SW plans, for that matter. Plus, they've been very shallow on figure choices. We only got 4 12'' figures from them last year: Luke, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper, and Chewbacca. This is very sad to me, as they've had some great figures over the years, specifically Jango Fett and Count Dooku. It seems that Hasbro has lost all faith in the 12 inch figures. I just hope that this line may live on in some way. What do you guys think?

Bossk77
05-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Yep. Sad to say it, but it's dead. I know there's no official word from Hasbro yet, but I just know that there won't be any more 12'' figures. From Hasbro, at least. Why is this, you ask? Not enough demand for them, or so they say. I don't understand that. There's plenty of demand right now! I haven't seen any 12 inch Ultimate Villain Vaders or Grievous since April! Has Hasbro stopped shipping these out or what? Plus, they've completely checked out with making new figures. They've denied a ROTS Obi-Wan. There are no other 12'' ROTS plans or any other 12'' SW plans, for that matter. Plus, they've been very shallow on figure choices. We only got 4 12'' figures from them last year: Luke, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper, and Chewbacca. This is very sad to me, as they've had some great figures over the years, specifically Jango Fett and Count Dooku. It seems that Hasbro has lost all faith in the 12 inch figures. I just hope that this line may live on in some way. What do you guys think?

I loved the 12 inch line... and i think they were finally going the right way when they released the Bossk, IG wave. But then they went mundane again with the selections they made. People dont want another Obi or lame jedi per say... they want more Aliens like a Snaggletooth, bounty hunters like Dengar, Driods like a Imp Probe droid and in some cases even EU stuff like a Dark Trooper or Mara Jade. Who wouldnt like to complete a 12 in cantina scene? As of now i agree that the line is dead, with better selections and better craftman ship on the units i think they could bring the line back with a bang... See the new 12in Grevious for an example of poor handywork. I need not say more.

darko666
05-30-2005, 06:28 PM
i'm still wondering why the ROTS Dooku hasn't been released yet. it might have been taken out of the second wave. i think it was supposed to be released with the two jedis'. they should at least release it.

WarDesign
05-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Who said the 12" line was dead? No it's not. Here is an EPIII Obi Wan.

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/kryart/akr.sized.jpg
http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/kryart/aks.sized.jpg

Well, its not made by Hasbroke. But its an Obi Wan from EPIII.
If anyone is interested please contact us at Kryart_Studios@yahoo.com
You can also find us on eBay under Kryart_Studios.

Bacta Beast
05-31-2005, 03:02 AM
I've seen plenty of the Ultimate Villian Anakins in my area. Likewise was Palpatine and the clones. Not to many Grevious, but I have seen a few (probably returns).
I just sold my entire 12" collection on ebay. The bottom line on the 12" line for me is this; they cost to much (I especially think this of the Ultimate Anakin), and I'm sick of the old GI Joe body. If they would have made more of the line like the AOTC Dooku, I think it would have faired better. It's hard enough to keep up with the 3 3/4" line with all the stinking exclusives! Also, I think it was incredibly stupid for Hasbro to not release any heros in the first wave. I know that there's alot of dark side happy forum users here, but you must realize that not every collector, or child is that nuts about the bad guys!
Especially in this movie. Hey, I'm sorry to see the line go, I would much rather see the "Force Battlers" get the axe. But Hasbro only has them selves to blame for it. They never listen to the fans, and except on rare occasion, they kept putting out crap. I've decided to just save my money for overpriced 3 3/4" exclusives instead (like the shuttle or the clone sets).

JediTricks
05-31-2005, 04:33 AM
I've seen a few of the Ultimate Villain Anakins and Grievous's lately, lots of the Emperor, not many of the Clone though, and he was the easiest to find originally. I've been decrying the line's death for several years now, but Hasbro keeps putting out more product after a while. I think the allure of using the generic GI Joe 12" body is just too enticing to Hasbro, using that generic body concept is largely what made them the #2 toymaker in the US. Unfortunately, what Hasbro sees in costcutting procedures ends up hampering the rest of the production and thus the possibility for great-quality outfits and headsculpts and SCALE (sorry, but the GI Joe body and head designs are always out of scale, I can't deny it, they're forced-perspective figures) and paint and materials and accessories (which is what drew me to the line in the first place). What I don't understand is how Hasbro can look at their product, then look at someone like Sideshow who makes 12" figures from various licenses with much smaller runs for only a few bucks more but MUCH better quality, and not see that the problem isn't the fans but the product they're offering.

Bacta Beast
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Exactlly! But they could still use the "new style" GI Joe body,and savjust as much money, while offering a better quality figure (thus saving the line?) Honestly why did they have to use the "old joe" body for the Ultimate Anakin? They already have the mold for the new style body, they used it on the Dooku, Imperial Officer, and the VOTC Trooper (those are the ones I know of.) Why did they feel the need to go back?! It's sad because the costumes were great, but those bodies and huge heads just plain suck! Add to that the overpriced pieces (like Anakin), the hard to find exclusives (Chewie), and figures that can't even hold their weapons (Grevious, Chewie, & many more) and it's easy to see why this line has been a big dissapointment for collectors! That is unless your Hasbro.

JediTricks
05-31-2005, 08:24 PM
This is totally a guess, but perhaps the huge heads don't look so good on the smaller new Joe bodies, I haven't really tested this theory yet.

Ok, actually, now that I think about it, they probably did this because Vader is a fairly big guy and the new Joe body wouldn't fill out the suit very well.

Bossk77
06-01-2005, 12:59 AM
I think it would justify the $20 odd dollar cost if they put voice chips in each 12 incher. The emperor and Fett special had it and i think it would enhance the line back to coolness... Except they would have to make a windu with Pulp quotes. :)

JediTricks
06-02-2005, 03:08 AM
I never cared for the voice modules in the 12"ers, they always got pressed by the figures' arms because the buttons were so poorly located. Still, Hasbro has a couple 12" talking GI Joes on the shelves right now, they both move their mouths and say lots of pieced-together lines, and the softer or harder you push the button, the quieter or louder they say the line (and not just volume, but their inflections change), and most importantly they're $20 and $15 I believe, so the price is possible, especially if they dumb down the design and kill the opening mouth thing.

Reefer Shark
06-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Who said the 12" line was dead? No it's not. Here is an EPIII Obi Wan.

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/kryart/akr.sized.jpg
http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/kryart/aks.sized.jpg

Well, its not made by Hasbroke. But its an Obi Wan from EPIII.
If anyone is interested please contact us at Kryart_Studios@yahoo.com
You can also find us on eBay under Kryart_Studios.

That Obi Wan is sweet.. but this other one you guys have on ebay is the coolest custom job I've ever seen!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5978802097&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I would shell out some dough for this baby, but I have a feeling it's gonna end at a very high price. Do you guys sell these outside of ebay? if so, how much??? :D

jedi master sal
06-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Holy crap, that's awesome! I wouldn't pay that much money for it, but it looks well made.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Hellboy
06-04-2005, 01:57 AM
That is one sweet custom. :eek:

If anything from Hasbro's line even remotely looked as good as that I wouldn't have bailed on the 12" line. I'd have no problem paying upwards of $75 bucks for one of those.

JetsAndHeels
06-04-2005, 08:21 AM
If anything from Hasbro's line even remotely looked as good as that I wouldn't have bailed on the 12" line. I'd have no problem paying upwards of $75 bucks for one of those.

Same here. That type of work on a 12" figure is definately the kind of detail and quality I feel that we as collectors look for and pay for. If Hasbro were to do something like this they would regain our faith in the 12" line, and no doubt those figures would fly off the shelves.

WarDesign
06-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Thanks guys. I really wish we could sell these cheaper. But with the amount of work that goes into these one of a kind customs, well u know. I for one, don't want to see the 12inchers fade away.

Tycho
06-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Well what might happen is Kryart Studios is going to get the hell sued out of them by Lucasfilm. (Hopefully not, but it's still possible).

What should happen, is Kryart should come up with the million or whatever it takes to get the license from Lucasfilm, and start producing these regularly. It is a terrific job on the Clone Wars Obi-Wan. I want one!

Of course, maybe since this is a local custom operation done by a fan, they won't have the sense to turn it into a business rather than a bankruptcy once Lucas sues them for everything they own. It is his property and Hasbro did pay millions for the licenese...

Meanwhile, I'd love to see these from ROTS:

Obi-Wan
Palpatine (red outfit as Supreme Chancellor)
Grievous' Body Guard
Yoda
Agen Kolar
Kit Fisto
Sae See Tiin
Tarful
Commander Cody
Commader Baccera
Commander Gree
Kashyyyk Scout Infantry Clone
Mas Ameeda
Aayla Secura
Bail Organa (speeder pilot or Senator)
Padme (Ruminations or blue dress)
Padme (Mustafar)
Anakin (regular Dark Side, no Vader accessories, switch to burned feature)
Nute Gunray
Wat Tambor
Chopper Droid
FX-6
21-B
Owen & Beru 2-pack

WarDesign
06-06-2005, 02:01 PM
We asked the same thing, but if we only make one of each and add a disclaimer as no affiliation and a custom figure. We should be alright. As long as no mass production is involved. But then again, you never know.

Bacta Beast
06-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Just about a Star Wars fan's luck. Hasblo won't give us what we want, and if someone else tries to, they run the chance that Lucasfilm will club their legs! :rolleyes:

DTMAN
06-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Hello.
All have made valid points.

Saw all still but Grevious is 1st to go. I have not seen the new Jedi, only at comic stores.

To me, reasons for Hasbro dropping the ball on this line:
1) Cheap. Use same molds over and over or lousy sculpting. Voodoo Vader and Boba Fett back in POTF2 line, All Chewys.
a) Inconsistent. Have done better job with aliens than w/humans. KB Boba Fett and Vader w/Removable Helmet done right and they talk. Ratio of figures are out of whack. Case in point. POTF2 Boba Fett or Saga Biker Scout at 1 per case.
2) Choice of characters. Bounty Hunters good choice. No new Obi for ROTS or regular Anakin? ROTS Vader?
3) Focus. Since Hasbro has many lines, I always felt they did not pay enough attention to SW unless a movie or big event takes place.
4) Customs or foreign versions makes Hasbro's looks like junk. Marmit? Medicom? Obi Wan custom mentioned here in other posts. Need I say more?

Hasbro should allow another vendor to produce 12" line. I bet we would see much improvement compared to Hasbro.

Oh well, We will see. Thank you.

JediTricks
06-13-2005, 01:40 AM
Hasbro's rep says in the new EE catalog that the 12" line is done for now, going on hiatus.

Tycho
06-13-2005, 02:30 AM
Yeah, but not counting 9 3 3/4" figures they haven't released yet, and an additional rumored 12 more - there's not a lot more SW 3 3/4" coming out this year either.

So that tells me that maybe as soon as 2006 we'd see new 12" offerings. Unfortunately, that might mean they'd stick to main characters and while we could get a ROTS Obi-Wan, Nute Gunray might be sadly impossible to hope for.

WarDesign
06-15-2005, 04:51 AM
Our EPIII Obi Wan can be purchased here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5981675779&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Tycho
06-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Wal-Mart had about 10 General Grievous and 6 or more Clone Troopers today.

I was impressed. They must have just stocked - Grievous is a good figure even if you don't collect 12".

Clones are clones - they are useful in numbers.

The Sidious' looked like those that had been shelf-warming.

I think that the 12" line for ROTS has some sales left in it. I'll report how my shelfstock shrinks in the near future.

JediTricks
06-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Yeah, but not counting 9 3 3/4" figures they haven't released yet, and an additional rumored 12 more - there's not a lot more SW 3 3/4" coming out this year either.

So that tells me that maybe as soon as 2006 we'd see new 12" offerings. Unfortunately, that might mean they'd stick to main characters and while we could get a ROTS Obi-Wan, Nute Gunray might be sadly impossible to hope for.

I think that the 12" line for ROTS has some sales left in it. *Ding! Ding!* Ahoy! Looks like the captain of the S.S. Wishful Thinking is going down with the ship.

:p

Kidhuman
06-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Hasbro's rep says in the new EE catalog that the 12" line is done for now, going on hiatus.

I was just going to post the same thing....

EE: With unleashed and basics going good, there have not been many 12" releases. WIll we see more of them through out the year?

Randy: EP3 12" figs include Sidioud, Clone, Barris, Shaak Ti, and Grievous. There is also a 12" deluxe Vader. But the 12" line may take a rest after EP3, so grab em while you can.

Not verbatium, but the basic gist of his staement.

Turambar
06-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I loved the 12" line, but I am glad to see it is finally relieved from its suffering. The last few years of terrible rehashes and lame figure selections have been a miserable experience for collectors. Hasbro itself is mostly to blame for its choices as well as killing the best thing it had going in marmit.
I wouldn't say its completely dead, yet. They haven't pulled the plug on medicoms RAH yet as far as I know.

hamsterboy
07-11-2005, 02:55 AM
I'm not surprised to be honest. It was only a matter of time after they pulled the plug on the 12" Joe line that Hasbro would pull the plug on the 12" Star Wars stuff.

Slicker
07-11-2005, 03:29 AM
Besides there aren't very many new characters that they can make. They really can't get too obscure on these due to the $20-$30 price point. People want main characters and it's not just collectors that but these. If a mother walks by and little Johnny wants to buy a 12" fig she's not gonna buy a damn Shaak Ti. She'll go for GG or a Clone.

Tycho
07-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Besides there aren't very many new characters that they can make. They really can't get too obscure on these due to the $20-$30 price point. People want main characters and it's not just collectors that but these. If a mother walks by and little Johnny wants to buy a 12" fig she's not gonna buy a damn Shaak Ti. She'll go for GG or a Clone.

Han Bespin, single-boxed, resculpted to look right
Han Carbonite, deluxe piece, maybe exclusive, that encases entirely right
Luke Endor, single-boxed
Leia Bespin
Leia Bespin Escape
Leia Endor, single-boxed
Leia Ewok Princess
R2D2 Lightsaber Launch
R2D2 flying, droid attack
C-3PO, silver junk coverings (AOTC)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS)
Boba Fett kid (AOTC)
Lando Calrissian, General (ROTJ)
Jabba the Hutt
Palpatine, Senator (TPM)
Palpatine, Chancellor (AOTC, ROTS)
Nute Gunray
Destroyer Droid
Kit Fisto
SaeSee Tiin
Eeth Koth (or Agen Kolar)
Luminara Undulli
Clone Trooper 501st
Commander Cody
Padme Senator (AOTC, Palpatine's office)
Padme (many AOTC or ROTS variations possible)
Grievous' Body Guard
Bail Organa

JediTricks
07-12-2005, 03:05 AM
I forgot that they pulled the plug on the 12" Joe line, I remembered they just did with the 4" RAH line (well, they put it into web-only mode which is as good as dead) but had forgotton that they announced 12" was dead. You make a good point, one which I hadn't taken into consideration in relation to SW. With or without Joe though, this line seemed dead to me.

BTW Tycho, out of the already done main characters (not the ones on your list), how many of those weren't bad headsculpts or other issues? A handful, I'd guess, so they have ample room to rerelease those characters with better quality alongside the ones you have on your list. Nearly every main 12" figure could be redone if it was redone right.

tagmac
07-12-2005, 10:23 PM
I think it should have been clear that this line was dead 2 years ago, when we finally got a line with some highly sought-after figures: Ewoks, Yoda w/ Lightsaber, and a Biker Scout. Of course, the majority of us never actually found these figures, seeing as stores got as much as 1 lousy case in, if any at all. If they were so serious about keeping the 12" line going, then surely we'd have seen this assortment get better distribution, even if it was several months later like the previous assortment (w/ Skiff lando) had been.

Hellboy
07-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Well Hasbro's 12" line may be dead but apparently Sideshow Collectibles is going to be picking up the slack with a new 12" line of their own. One of the many things being shown at the SDCC. Pretty sweet if you ask me Sideshow does quality work.

Here is what was posted on Sideshow's website.

Sideshow Collectibles joins with Hasbro and Lucasfilm Ltd.

Westlake Village, CA - July 14th, 2005 - Sideshow Collectibles announced today the acquisition of the license to manufacture and distribute a line of 12-inch Star Wars action figures. Sideshow plans to provide details of the product line later in 2005 via www.SideshowCollectibles.com, but collectors can look forward to the new 12-inch figures hitting store shelves (and online) in mid 2006.

"We are excited to expand our relationship with Lucasfilm, and to begin working with Hasbro," said Greg Anzalone, CEO of Sideshow Collectibles. "As dedicated fans of both the Star Wars saga and the previous Hasbro product, we aspire to bring a new level of detail and authenticity to the 12-inch figure category."

Kenner, a division of Hasbro, first introduced 12-inch Star Wars figures in 1978. Hasbro reintroduced the format in 1996, producing updated versions of classic characters like Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Darth Vader. "Over the last 10 years, we've produced over 150 different 12-inch Star Wars figures," said Derryl DePriest, Hasbro's Director of Marketing for the Star Wars brand. "We have chosen Sideshow to carry the torch because they have an unparalleled reputation for producing quality limited edition 12-inch figures."

Sideshow Collectibles announced the 12-inch figure license on the one-year anniversary of the premiere of Sideshow's first Star Wars offerings. Sideshow began solicitations for a line of high-end Premium Format 1/4 Scale Figures at the San Diego Comic-Con International show in July of 2004. More recently, Sideshow Collectibles announced a line of life-size Star Wars busts. "The 12-inch Star Wars line really complements our previous series of Star Wars collectibles. Our larger scale, high-end Star Wars offerings are perfect as centerpieces in any collection. They're museum quality representations of the most heroic and villainous characters, and they're BIG," says Tom Gilliland, Creative Director at Sideshow Collectibles. "The 12-inch line packs the same quality & detail into a smaller and more affordable package. This 12-inch series also enables us to go even broader in our character selection than we have gone previously. Fans of the previous Hasbro 12-inch figures will be excited by our character choices - our goal is to enhance, expand, and update the amazing collection that Hasbro has offered."

"The alliance between Sideshow and Hasbro grew out of mutual respect within the two companies," said Casey Collins, Director of Domestic Licensing & Retail Marketing at Lucasfilm. "Designers at Sideshow were collecting Hasbro product, designers at Hasbro were collecting Sideshow product. Sideshow has a fresh and unique approach to the 12-inch collectible figure category - we recognized the potential in the relationship immediately."

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=071205starwarspr

Tycho
07-14-2005, 01:52 AM
I'm wondering what the price point will be, as well as whether there will be figures Hasbro never made before.

I'll be in the market for those from the list I posted before, as well as even more obscure ones.

Han Bespin, single-boxed, resculpted to look right
Han Carbonite, deluxe piece, maybe exclusive, that encases entirely right
Luke Endor, single-boxed
Leia Bespin
Leia Bespin Escape
Leia Endor, single-boxed
Leia Ewok Princess
R2D2 Lightsaber Launch
R2D2 flying, droid attack
C-3PO, silver junk coverings (AOTC)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS)
Boba Fett kid (AOTC)
Lando Calrissian, General (ROTJ)
Jabba the Hutt
Palpatine, Senator (TPM)
Palpatine, Chancellor (AOTC, ROTS)
Nute Gunray
Destroyer Droid
Kit Fisto
SaeSee Tiin
Eeth Koth (or Agen Kolar)
Luminara Undulli
Clone Trooper 501st
Commander Cody
Padme Senator (AOTC, Palpatine's office)
Padme (many AOTC or ROTS variations possible)
Grievous' Body Guard
Bail Organa

Slicker
07-14-2005, 02:52 AM
I'd be willing to bet that they'll start out with the basics i.e. Luke, Han, Leia, etc. then if the line does well enough they'll get more obscure. This could definitely pan out to be good as Sideshow does some good work.

JEDIpartner
07-14-2005, 09:06 AM
I thought Sideshow's work on the X-Files and Buffy/Angel lines were horrible. I hope they do a better job with the Star Wars line. Yes, the costuming was great but the facial sculpts were dire. Yeah, they've done a decent job with the high-end Star Wars 12" but how well will they do with the "general market" line? Will they be lowering the price point on these as well so they do fall into the place Hasbro left off. Sideshow currently sells most of the their larger figures for about $35.99-$39.99, which is way out of my price range... even for ONE figure much less several.

I would hope the start up of this line would include the core characters in their most iconic costumes or looks. If I were to select the initial line-up I'd definitely pick Obi-Wan and Anakin from ROTS in the first wave as well as Luke, Han and Leia from ANH.

Tycho
07-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Momaw Nadon was a core character! You just missed that part. ;)

JEDIpartner
07-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Yeah... him and Yarna. :rolleyes:

OC47150
07-14-2005, 03:38 PM
My big question will be about the price.

The Planet of the Apes Taylor figure I have cost me $35, and the John Wayne WWII Marine figure I pre-ordered is $50.

If Sideshow can keep prices in this range, I might be likely to buy a few, but not as often as the $20 Hasbro versions.

Hellboy
07-14-2005, 07:17 PM
As far as what they're going to make first I think the only character that has been confirmed is Anakin Skywalker.

Apparently SS will also be conducting a poll to see what 12" Expanded Universe character collectors would like to see made. They haven't even started producing these things yet and they already have a better idea as to what collectors want than Hasbro ever did. :cool:

plasticfetish
07-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Can't wait to check out their booth tomorrow.
Very exciting!

Turbowars
07-15-2005, 01:45 AM
Thank you Hasbro for finally getting the balls to let the line go. If that's what really happened. It has been one of my wishes that SS get the licence. We have all talked about it for years and did any of us actually think it would ever happen? Not Me.

Tycho
07-15-2005, 03:57 AM
I talked with SideShow at Comic Con rather extensively today.

They are fans that collected Hasbro's 12". They know what and would like to do figures like Leia Bespin Gown because we never got them. That doesn't mean they'll do her, or even that if they do, it'll be the first Leia we get, but they were acutely aware of what's never been done.

The figures are going to be mostly those they can use their human-form body for - that's their niche. Momaw Nadon is too much an extensive tooling and sculpt work to be done right now. Maybe in the future, but their runs are limited, the license is expensive, and they don't know if they can justify marketing what would be an $85-100 action figure. These figures are not part of their premium statue figure line and are not to be approaching their high end costs. They're more for direct sales and not mass marketing the way Hasbro handled the line.

Most figures will be between $35 and $50. There will be fewer of them released at any given time, so collectors can keep up.

EU Characters on the short list for their polling include:

Mara Jade
Quinlan Vos

There was another female character (not Jaina Solo or Guri) that I'm forgetting at the moment that they mentioned. She'd be human-form...

oh: Assaj Ventress

There were more. I think the comics are a great source to give us visuals on who might be on the voting ballot. Grand Admiral Thrawn might be a no-brainer as well. Perhaps Guri, Xizor, the Solo Kids, etc. Come to think of it, Jaina Solo in her X-wing pilot uniform might be very hot.

Mara might be my first choice though. I'd bought and saved a Hasbro Luke Jedi a long time ago in hopes they'd make Mara or I'd buy a Cy-Girls and customize myself one.

plasticfetish
07-15-2005, 04:07 AM
oh: Assaj VentressMmm, sounds good.

I really like the fact that they're open to EU characters -- that they're open to something different in general.

Turbowars
07-15-2005, 11:13 AM
I'd rather not SS waste time on EU. If they are going to release these in very small #'s and at longer intervals them I would like to see film figures only.

Reefer Shark
07-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Well if they make a Vader, I'm really going to kick myself for dropping $200+ on the Medicom version :stupid:

I am really happy about this news though. That naked Anakin they've been showing already looks a million times better than anything Hasbro has put out.
I'm sure I'll end up collecting the whole line....

IG65
07-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Well if they make a Vader, I'm really going to kick myself for dropping $200+ on the Medicom version :stupid:

That's a really good point Shark. I was just about to order the Medicom Vader myself but now I am wondering if I should wait for a SideShow one. Of course if SideShow doesn't end up making a Vader the Medicom one will cost a fortune by then.
:confused:

Hellboy
07-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Sounds like the Medicom Vader costs a fortune now. $200 is way to much for a 12" figure IMO, I don't care how good it is. :crazed:

Reefer Shark
07-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Usually I would say the same thing - $200 is way too much for a 12" figure. But being the Vader freak that I am.... I couldn't resist.

After seeing all the pics of this thing I knew I would have to have one, and with the limited run (1000 produced), I figured I would just bite the bullet and get it now before it goes the way of the GG Padme maquette.

Hellboy
07-17-2005, 04:05 PM
That makes sense. I actually wasn't aware of the limited run. Thats nice as it should retain it's value and most likely increase in case you ever decided to part with it.

Turbowars
07-18-2005, 01:12 AM
Talked to SS at the SDCC as well and they told me the price point will be anywhere from 40 to 100. $40 would be like Han Solo and Vader would fetch $100. Very limited info everywhere at the con. They only place where I felt I got some good info was at the EE booth. Adam from GH works at EE and is reasonable for the release of the AOTC 4 pack Clones and the up coming Astro 5 packs. This is what we needed all along a SW collector in a higher up position.

I think I will start to get rid of my Hasbro 12". Probably have a hard time doing so, but it might be best since I really don't have room for anything anymore.

theogriz
07-18-2005, 03:16 AM

I am really happy about this news though. That naked Anakin they've been showing already looks a million times better than anything Hasbro has put out.
I'm sure I'll end up collecting the whole line....

I have a Medicom Vader and I don't regret getting it even if Sideshow does make their own version. For any other character, I would regret paying that much but for Vader I can swing it (If sidewsow makes a Jedi Luke I WILL be kicking myself for spending $200 on the Medicom version). The Medicom Vader is almost perfect. The only two flaws are that its a little too short and the helmet flairs out a little too much in the back. Otherwise it looks awesome. It is definitely the best figure in my collection and it will be very hard for sideshow to top it. Also, since it is much more complicated than most, I figure that it will not be one of the first figures released and even then it will probably be a different version of Vader since they know that many collectors have already bought the Medicom one.

plasticfetish
07-18-2005, 03:54 AM
Talked to SS at the SDCC as well and they told me the price point will be anywhere from 40 to 100.I had a chance to ask pretty much the same question, and I was given $50 as a price point.

The main thing that I came away understanding, is that they're not going to really tell us anything for a while. I'm pretty sure that they're not exactly sure just what they're doing yet, and they haven't nailed down a price point.

I was told that they'd be doing a "full line" of figures to start... but really, they didn't want to give away details like which characters or if they'd just be doing all "humans" or whatever.

I was told that they would eventually start posting updates on their Web site with photos, etc. as things moved along. (We joked about "other" companies that never managed to keep their site updated, and how they never updated the "fan's choice" pages that they'd started.)