PDA

View Full Version : Palpatine's face scars

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Sooo . . . did Palpatine really get scarred from the constant onslaught of lightning, or was he really disfigured, really old, and hiding his true appearance until Mace ruined his ability to hide it? Someone said that Palpatine is 1000 years old, though he uses the Dark Side to make himself look 60; is this true?

shammykenobi
05-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Well I've heard that too, but i don't think it holds much water...think about it...even in the scenes from episodes 1 and 2 when he is cloaked as darth sidious his face still looks normal...and in those scenes he's talking to either darth maul, dooku, or the trade federation guys...so why would he want to look younger to them?? wouldn't it be more to his benefit to look older and scarier to his apprentices/pawns?? if he were using the force to look younger to the trade feds, wouldn't there have been the chance that they would have figured out who he really is?? I think that the foce lightning that mace deflected onto him is why he ended up so ugly looking.

Beast
05-30-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm going to go with the fact that it was his force lighting being reflected back at him that caused the disfigurement. The 'Making Of' book (IIRC), states that the force lighting melted some of the bones and cartilage of his face. Leaving his face permanently disfigured due to the ammount of energy he was pouring on, cascading over his face. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
05-30-2005, 10:27 PM
I think he was hiding his real face. In ROTJ, the force lightning does not disfigure Luke, does it? NO! Well, there within lies your answer. If it doesn't disfigure Luke then it must have unmasked Palpatine. Look in the ROTS visual dictionary. It says this:

Star Wars Revenge of the Sith Visual Dictionary[/i]]: Unmasked by deflected Sith lightning during his duel, the Sith Lord's true face is revealed to the world]

B.
TDV

JimJamBonds
05-30-2005, 10:35 PM
I think he was hiding his real face. In ROTJ, the force lightning does not disfigure Luke, does it? NO! Well, there within lies your answer. If it doesn't disfigure Luke then it must have unmasked Palpatine. Look in the ROTS visual dictionary. It says this

Wasn't Luke getting 'hit' in the body by the lightning while Palpers was getting it in the face? I'd say its simply being reflected back at him and that is why Palps face looks like a rasin.

Jim Jam

shammykenobi
05-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah...luke was getting hit in the body and not very much in the face....and palpatine was giving it to luke in released bursts...in ROTS he was pouring it on fast and hard when it was deflected back on his face.

2-1B
05-31-2005, 02:00 AM
I'd like to examine Mace's corpse in the thoroughfares of Coruscant and see what the lightning did to his face, save for the obvious skull flash that we also saw on Vader in RotJ.

JediTricks
05-31-2005, 04:55 AM
I think he was hiding his real face. In ROTJ, the force lightning does not disfigure Luke, does it? NO! Well, there within lies your answer. If it doesn't disfigure Luke then it must have unmasked Palpatine. Look in the ROTS visual dictionary.I like this idea better than "he hurt himself and was disfigured from it" reasoning which doesn't explain the yellow eyes or how he looks different in ROTJ. Also, thanks for pointing out that Visual Dictionary comment, I don't have the book so I never would have seen it.

JimJamBonds
05-31-2005, 10:43 AM
I'd like to examine Mace's corpse in the thoroughfares of Coruscant and see what the lightning did to his face, save for the obvious skull flash that we also saw on Vader in RotJ.

Corpse schmorpse Caesar! I saw him FALL but never did we see him die, we see two Jedi fall in AOTC only to live through it without a scratch. No body, no bounce! :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Jim Jam

2-1B
05-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Maybe Mace is kicking it in Dexter's Diner with Darth Maul ? :confused:

"Drink *****! It'll getcha drunk!"

JimJamBonds
05-31-2005, 12:39 PM
I like this idea better than "he hurt himself and was disfigured from it" reasoning which doesn't explain the yellow eyes or how he looks different in ROTJ. Also, thanks for pointing out that Visual Dictionary comment, I don't have the book so I never would have seen it.

Well if Palpatine was so powerfull why did he revert to his 'old' face? Sure he says to the Senate that the attack has left him scared but why hide it with the hood? Let everybody know what the Jedi "did" to him.

Jim Jam

trandoshan666
05-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Sure he says to the Senate that the attack has left him scared but why hide it with the hood? Let everybody know what the Jedi "did" to him.

Jim Jam

I didn't get the impression that he was hiding anything by wearing the hood. I looked at it as Palpatine publicly appearing as the Sith lord he actually is, a "coming out" of sorts. To me, he was actually hiding his identity while appearing as the normal-looking chancellor, but once his plan was in motion, there was no longer a need to conceal the true Sith within.
He told the senators of the Jedi assassination plot against him and used his scarred face which was visible to all to back up his claim so he could keep public sentiment on his side in case he still needed it, and to justify the murder of the Jedi.

JimJamBonds
05-31-2005, 01:23 PM
I didn't get the impression that he was hiding anything by wearing the hood. I looked at it as Palpatine publicly appearing as the Sith lord he actually is, a "coming out" of sorts. To me, he was actually hiding his identity while appearing as the normal-looking chancellor, but once his plan was in motion, there was no longer a need to conceal the true Sith within.
He told the senators of the Jedi assassination plot against him and used his scarred face which was visible to all to back up his claim so he could keep public sentiment on his side in case he still needed it, and to justify the murder of the Jedi.

If Palpatine was letting everybody know he was a Sith why is it I've never heard him refered to as Emperor Sidious?

On a seperate note I like where you are "at" trandoshan666, just watch out for Evander!

Jim Jam

El Chuxter
05-31-2005, 02:11 PM
According to the novelization, Mace gives himself fully over to Vaapad, a fighting art he developed with Sora Bulq and which involves skirting dangerously close to the Dark Side. By using Vaapad, he is able to amplify the power of the lightning when he reflects it back at Sidious.

This makes sense, because Yoda never learned Vaapad and, since it died with Mace, Luke would have no knowledge of it. Plus, look at Mace's face. The dude is mad.

JediTricks
05-31-2005, 07:49 PM
I took the hooded robe to be another prop in Palpatine's arsenal which suggests to the outside world that he is pained and wounded and is living this way, like a leper, he'd be pretending he's become frail, like his use of the gnarled cane in ROTJ.

TheDarthVader
05-31-2005, 10:36 PM
I took the hooded robe to be another prop in Palpatine's arsenal which suggests to the outside world that he is pained and wounded and is living this way, like a leper, he'd be pretending he's become frail, like his use of the gnarled cane in ROTJ.

Yes. B-I-N-G-O! Deception...deception!

B.
TDV