PDA

View Full Version : Best Female Bassist....

Bossk77
06-01-2005, 08:07 PM
SO who is the best? My vote goes to Rayna of Coal Chamber fame. Saw her twice and each time she just belted it out. Sean Ysaualt was pretty good. (White Zombie) but she wasnt as good as Rayna. Since i know it will come up the Bassist from Kittie really isnt too great. She was way to stoned when i saw her and she plays sloppy. I still belive Jason Newstead is a Woman so he gets honerable mention.... NOT!

Exhaust Port
06-01-2005, 08:50 PM
The only female bassist I could even think of was Sean Ysaualt from White Zombie. I never have cared for Coal Chamber so I can't speak for Rayna's ability.

Monstermile
06-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Not familiar with alot of female bassists, but of the ones I know of I'd say D'Arcy Wretzky.

Bacta Beast
06-02-2005, 12:28 AM
There's no such thing! :p

2-1B
06-02-2005, 01:49 AM
I liked Drain STH, so I thought Anna Kjellberg was cool.

But I'm not an expert on female bass players.

basschick
06-02-2005, 07:53 AM
sean is really good, and perhaps my favorite, although jennifer arroyo from kittie is just awesome.

but don't forget carol kaye. she's older now, but she was the very first commercial bassist. http://www.carolkaye.com/ she played with such unknown bands as the beachboys ;) you may not care for the music she plays, but she has scary good chops.

El Chuxter
06-03-2005, 02:19 PM
What was the name of the woman who played bass for the Breeders? Was it Josephine Wiggs, or was it one of the Deal sisters? Whichever one it was, she was cool. The bass on their remake of "Lord of the Thighs" alone is enough to ensure her place in the Bass Players Hall of Fame.

jjreason
06-26-2005, 12:07 AM
It was Kim Deal, her sister Kelly plays guitar.

Kim Deal also plays the low ends for another deadly little rock band called Pixies..... perhaps you've heard of them? ;)

Kim Deal is the best.

evenflow
06-28-2005, 07:55 PM
I cant remember is Paz plays guitar or bass, but i know she plays the violin as well so she is my pick.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-10-2005, 09:46 PM
I am certainly not qualified to judge anyone's musical ability, so I will just list a few female bassists I know of.

D'arcy of The Smashing Pumpkins and Kim Deal of The Pixies have already been mentioned.

Kim Gordon - Sonic Youth
Kim Coletta - Jawbox
Tina Weymouth - Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club
Melissa Auf Der Maur - Hole, Smashing Pumpkins, now with a solo album
Myra Power - Slant 6

I'd mention someone from Sleater-Kinney, but hey have two guitars, no bass.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-10-2005, 09:50 PM
I cant remember is Paz plays guitar or bass, but i know she plays the violin as well so she is my pick.She is credited as playing bass on the Zwan album, that much I know.