PDA

View Full Version : Best Male Bassist Living....

Bossk77
06-01-2005, 09:12 PM
My nod here goes to Peter Steele. He has an edge over Les Claypool simply because of his Versitiliy. Come on. how many people can play a standing string bass, hold it like an electric bass and make it sound that good... not many. Nodds also go to the Bassist for IN Flames, Mike Inez, Flee, Dude from Dimmu guy from KillswitchEngage and myself. lol

Exhaust Port
06-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Peter Steele? Ugh, TON sucks IMHO. I'm not real familiar with bassists but it amazes me what Geddy Lee does between playing the bass, singing and the other electronic instruments. I also like Mike Inez from his Alice in Chains days and Cliff Burton from Metallica.

Monstermile
06-01-2005, 09:55 PM
That would be a hard one. I'm gonna say it would be a toss-up between Steve Harris, Flea, and Les Claypool.

Monstermile
06-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Cliff Burton from Metallica.

Cliff hasn't been alive for almost 20 years my friend. Damn has it been that long already. If he was still alive and still hittin like he did back then, there would be no contest.

Bossk77
06-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Cliff hasn't been alive for almost 20 years my friend. Damn has it been that long already. If he was still alive and still hittin like he did back then, there would be no contest.

Agreed Cliff was the best ever.. His affrontive style just attacks at you like a Randy rhodes guitar solo. He brought the Bass to the forfront of the band, instead of cruzing in the back un-noticed. The dude from Fog Hat was pretty good by the way.

Monstermile
06-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Didya ever get a chance to see Cliff live Bossk?? He was a madman on stage. Incredible is all I can say. I'm glad I got a chance to see him perform before he died.

JON9000
06-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Les Claypool. Steve Harris a close call. i think Les was definitely influenced by Steve.

James Boba Fettfield
06-01-2005, 10:51 PM
I find your lack of Lemmy disturbing.

The best simply because he could kick the *** of any bassist.

darko666
06-01-2005, 11:29 PM
I find your lack of Lemmy disturbing.

The best simply because he could kick the *** of any bassist.

well said Fettfield. i will have to go with Lemmy to. but i also vote for Trevor Dunn.

JimJamBonds
06-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Robert Trujillo ain't too shaby himself, although I find his facial expressions and "crab walk" to be rather strange. None the less he's a beast!

Also lets not forget about Geezer Butler of Sabbath! I'm not sure how he's doing now but I saw him in and the boys in Jan. 1999 and they impressed the heck out of me!

Jim Jam

Bossk77
06-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Didya ever get a chance to see Cliff live Bossk?? He was a madman on stage. Incredible is all I can say. I'm glad I got a chance to see him perform before he died.

Alas, no i was going to see him and i got the Pox... :(

i did see Newstead. choke.... Lemmy is good and so is Van Stienstine or what ever his name is from the Misfits.

The defining line of a basist is do you sit and play root notes or do you write your own and go from there and improvise. The answer is an easy one. BTW the Bassist from Mudvayne is pretty good as well.

Long live the bassist from MAN O WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FEEL THE POWER OF MY SWORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Bacta Beast
06-02-2005, 01:21 AM
1. Abraham Laboriel
2. John Pattitucci
3. Tommy Sims
4. Billy Sheehan
5. Randy Jackson (No I'm not joking, the Dawg can play!)
6. Les Claypool
7. Geddy

2-1B
06-02-2005, 02:22 AM
"The Tall Cool One," Tom Hamilton.

JimJamBonds
06-02-2005, 02:36 AM
While not a bass player persay Viv Savage layed down some nasty bass lines when filling in for Nigel Tufnel on Big Bottom!

Jim Jam

2-1B
06-02-2005, 03:21 AM
Of course he did, as he said "sure, I've got two hands."

lol lol lol

mabudonicus
06-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Long live the bassist from MAN O WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FEEL THE POWER OF MY SWORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joey DeMaio (sp??)
That guy is incredible- I've seen Maiden live a few times and Harris is good, REAL good, and Lemmy is a TRUE powerhouse, but I would consider him a rock bassist- he doesn't flaunt his chops like he could if he weren't the leader of MOTORHEAD (IMO the only performer in MOTORHEAD who gets to show his true talent is Mickey D- even Phil Campbell is amazing but with the arrangements the way they are you'd never know it) DeMaio takes the cake, he's like the 6 million dollar bassist- when he plays that crazy piccolo bass you can't even see his hands, and he has the full bag of wacky techniques that he can actually pull off and he fully understands how much is too much- his structures are insanely complex and yet easily accessible, so alas, my vote must be for him....
In the deceased column, it'd be Jaco Pastorius (a jazz guy but most of this list would not exist without what he did for electric bass in general)

:beard:

basschick
06-02-2005, 09:29 AM
the first ones who come to mind are:

flea - when he wants, he can be very versatile.
les claypool
bootsy collins
fieldy from korn - whether ya like the music or not, he helped bring bass to the front of metal instead of the one repeating note bass lines like you find in old priest.

mabudonicus
06-03-2005, 08:32 AM
fieldy from korn - whether ya like the music or not, he helped bring bass to the front of metal instead of the one repeating note bass lines like you find in old priest.
Uhhhhh.... KORN didn't do anything for anyone, the bassist from Deep Purple beat them goofballs to it by about 20 years :beard:
All KORN did was prove that even the term "Metal" can have shameful connotations

arctangent
06-03-2005, 10:25 AM
imo its got to be Geddy Lee

evenflow
06-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Peter Steele is awesome, and it made my day to see the thread start out with him since i have been a huge Type O fan since the beginning. Still, I have to go with Les Claypool. Having seen Les play in several of his different bands, and each time i am completely amazed.

basschick
06-03-2005, 12:05 PM
i play stuff from both bands, and the deep purple is simpler and a lot less aggressive. i like korn because the basslines ARE more complex, louder and more aggressive - i like old deep purple pre-80's, too.

sounds like you're probably my age - most people my age seem to believe that most new music is bad, and stuff from when they were younger is good. of course, our parents thought OUR music was bad, and theirs was good. i guess that's how it usually goes.

Uhhhhh.... KORN didn't do anything for anyone, the bassist from Deep Purple beat them goofballs to it by about 20 years :beard:
All KORN did was prove that even the term "Metal" can have shameful connotations

Exhaust Port
06-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Korn had a great sound in their first album. Unfortunately they've only repackaged it for every album since. Even from the first album though there has been nothing outstanding about any of the musicians. Perhaps compared to the wave of new-punk that we are seeing the Korn stuff seems amazingly complex.

Rock and metal use to be filled with amazing musicians and they put out some seriously indepth songs musically speaking. Ever since the early to mid-90's when grunge took over we've seen the level of musicianship decrease with every passing year.

There's still plenty of great new metal out there that have some great musicians. If a band has been seen on TRL or other aspect of MTV then there is a pretty good chance that they suck. Remember, MTV is about the image, not the music. Heck, kids are going to see Ozzy play now not because of his music but because he had a TV show.

That reminds me, Geezer Butler has had some great albums both with Black Sabbath (I'm ignoring a few of the late albums) as well as solo. I enjoyed both is G//Z/R and Geezer solo projects.

El Chuxter
06-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Slightly different genre, but I believe the last I checked, both John Paul Jones and John McVie were still living. Where's the love?

I think Mr Jones needs no introduction, but Page and Plant deserves kicks in the groin for leaving him out of their reunion efforts post-Zep.

Say what you will about Fleetwood Mac, but I don't believe it's possible to listen to that bass line on "The Chain" and not think John McVie is just absolutely kick-arse.