PDA

View Full Version : Soft Goods vs Plastic molding: Pros and Cons?

Surge38
06-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Just wanted to ask people to wiegh in on this one. I see a ton of posts begging for Hasbro to stop using soft goods...and yet for every one I see, there is another post, just like it, begging Hasbro to stope being cheap, and use MORE Soft goods. The collecting community seems pretty sharply divided in this issue.

Personally, I don't like soft goods robes, but don't mind Capes or tunics. In fact some figures benifit from a bit of both. For instance, ROTS Agen Kolar has a plastic molded, removable Jedi cloak, and under that, he has a soft goods tunic, so that he can sit.

So where does everyone else stand on this?

beckmen
06-02-2005, 01:20 PM
I hate soft goods. I think they look cheap and stuid no matter how their used. Only on a 12" figure do they look OK.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
...In fact some figures benifit from a bit of both. For instance, ROTS Agen Kolar has a plastic molded, removable Jedi cloak, and under that, he has a soft goods tunic, so that he can sit.

So where does everyone else stand on this?

I really liked the EP1 soft goods wave, even thought it was only DM and OB1. While I don't mind the nice action look that a plastic cape can give, the soft goods give the figures a better posability. Case in point--POTF2 saltshaker figures. How many things did we get w/o legs because it would be impossible for them to sit down with the plastic robes? Mon Mothma, Royal Guard, I think there was one figure from the EU line, and the POTJ Senate Guard. Now some of these have been upgraded to legs due to the inclusion of soft goods. I think having a removable cloak of plastic with a cloth cape or tunic is a nice touch because they can allow for both detailing and posability.

I loved the POTF2 Jedi Luke, Mace Windu and Adi Gallia removable cloaks and would like to see their return but giving them some cloth stuff underneath would make them really sweet.

Spaced Slugg
06-02-2005, 03:54 PM
As far as the ROTS line goes I think the soft goods worked for Luminara and Shaak Ti, and Ki-Adi is bearable.
The rest send shivers down my spine esp' that hideous Sae sae Tiin and the royal guards:dis:

mark2d2
06-02-2005, 05:48 PM
I, for one, love the increased use of cloth. I really, truly do. They are great in a retro cool way, which is why I collect Star Wars toys in the first place.

I love all the soft goods from the VOTC line. Even Ben and Luke. Hey, they are just something completely different from what we already have. And we have dozens of plastic Luke and Ben anyway, don't we?

My dream figures for 2006 are soft goods Jawas and Sand People. Boushh with a cape like the VOTC Boba Fett would rock. This is a direction that I really want the line to go in.

My fingers are crossed for 2006. That and a VOTC R5-D4.

Kidhuman
06-02-2005, 07:27 PM
As a kid, I loved the soft goods robes. They are much better than vinyl capes. They have more flexability, and the figure can sit in a vehicle easily.

As an adult collector, soft goods robes look so much better than molded capes. They add more to the character. I dont open many figures, but my son does. He had Obi-Pilot from Saga line, and it was pretty darn sweet. The robe fit nicely and gave the character a better look. I did open the preview Grievous and the cape is annoying, it doesnt stay on 1/2 the time. The only reason why I leave it on him, is to help him stand.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-02-2005, 11:21 PM
I usually like the soft goods. They tend to impede the figure less. For instance, I was just looking at the ROTS Supreme Chancellor Palpatine. This figure has some decent articulation in the legs, but it seems kind of useless since the plastic robe wouldn't allow him to sit. It's kind of a pain to take the robe off, and I run the risk of ripping it. Also, without the robe, he doesn't look quite right. Soft goods aren't always perfect either. The Saga/OTC Luke Jedi doesn't seem quite right in the hood. The POTJ Tatooine Qui-Gon looks good, but the poncho kind of gathers up too much in spots. The same is true with VOTC Ben. However, I think overall they are better than if they had been done with plastic.

Basically, if the figure looks good to me, has decent articulation, and the material of choice doesn't interfere with the mobility/posabilty of the figure, then I won't gripe about the material. I think the soft goods work pretty well for the ROTS figures.

Scackmgack
06-03-2005, 09:53 AM
To me, the debate ends when it comes to Jedi and trying to fit them into their starfighters.

I have the two non-exclusive RotS Jedi Interceptors, two AotC Jedi Starfighters and the blue CW Jedi Starfighter - and the only figure I have which fits into ANY of them in an acceptable fashion is the Deluxe Quick-Change Anakin.

"Acceptable" defined as "resulting in no damage to my figure."

Even Shaak-Ti and Luminara and Ki-Adi Mundi, all of whom have soft goods capes, still have enough plastic on them that will get bent if you try to place them into the Jedi Starfighter's cockpits. It is almost to the point where I want to get another of each figure, one for display, and one for use in the cockpits.

Devo
06-03-2005, 06:01 PM
To be honest the ROTS line has made me warm to soft goods a bit. I'm seeing older figures that I overlooked in a new light and considering buying some that I passed on. See I used to be a fervent hater of cloth but with Luminara and Shaak we've seen the best ever use of the material on a figure of this size. And Ki-adi-mundi is superb. I can't believe I wasn't going to buy this figure because of the cloth and only bought it as a 'might aswell'. Now I think he's the best figure in the line. Articulated, detailed and the cloth can be pulled tight enough that it doesn't look goofy. Dooku's cape is also rather nice. The material is detailed and can fold realistically..well if it could be held in place.

Bulky robes I'm not too sweet on - such as Saga Obi-wan pilot's. It just puffs out too much all over - as though too much material is used - and the hood can't be flattened at the back so it sticks up and out by a mile. I wish Hasbro could fashion robes that have a more natural hang. It hasn't happened yet, tunics and skirts and some capes seem suited to soft goods but not full robes.

trandoshan666
06-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Generally speaking, I prefer figures with soft goods to those with molded plastic capes. IMO, they simply look and feel better. That said, I don't like the fact that with figures like the ROTS royal guard that you can't take the soft goods off. But it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

WesleySr
06-03-2005, 06:37 PM
I, for one, am in favor of soft goods, escpecially when they are done correctly. Also, I know how many collectors are fans of molded plastic capes. I have come up with this idea, that I know will never happen:

Package figures with both molded & cloth capes. Have them wearing the plastic capes in the package, and include soft goods to replace them with.

Everyone can agree on that, hopefully.

Blackened88
06-03-2005, 10:42 PM
I for one stand for both sides. It depends on the type of figure really, some figures need cloth and others just need plastic.

sevboot
06-05-2005, 10:10 PM
It's really just a matter of what you like. I prefer plastic because it's looks better. It's more uniform I guess. To me the cloth used for the 3 3/4 figures is cheap and really drags down the look of the toy. However, I like posability too, so it must be a nice soft plastic. I would like to see Hasbro stick with what they have been doing with the 3 3/4" line and make a seperate 6-7" collector line with nice movie likenesses and good articulation that uses soft plastic molded capes and robes. That way everyone gets what they want and Hasbro has an excuse to make even more money.

The Whills
06-06-2005, 07:03 AM
I'm really indifferent about soft goods if they are used for tunics, such as the case with luminara and shaak-ti.
I don't think they make good hoods, or robes as in AOTC pilot obi-wan for example, or vintage OTC ben. They end up making the figure look like it has a shrunken head in relation to the oversized head.
I do think pilot figures should be made or included with vehicles to fit in them, for these soft goods would work, because they would fit in the vehicle and not be seen.
The new dooku's cape is OK, but the ROTS darth vader's cape has to be loaded in hair spray before it will lay down, I hate it.
I think I mainly hate soft goods and "vintage" crap. This isn't the seventies any more, and I think we should move on with state of the art sculpting and articulation rather than wallowing in soft goods and "telescoping friggin lightsabers" so we can live in the past. they make luke and or anakin's arm look like it's been through an allerigic reaction, and they are too short for a lightsaber. I have all of the vintage figures from the seventies and I like them for what they are with all of that crap already, but would hope to get figures that are better now in 2005.