PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready for the NEW Essential Chronology?

El Chuxter
06-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Looks like this is scheduled for an October release. Still too early to guess much about it, but it should be a lifesaver for EU afficianados.

The New Essential Chronology cover (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345449010.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Still too early to guess much about it, but it should be a lifesaver for EU afficianados. Why? Are you insinuating that there could be difficulties in organizing all the SW lore? Like Boba Fett being a journeyman protector named Jaster Mareel and then became a clone of Jango Fett who was a Mandalorian warrior based on creatures with his helmet design as a face, who was killed in the Sarlaac pit only to be rescued by soon-to-be married Dengar?

BTW, this would be a so-cool, ultra-awesome, uber-radical idea. How about, just like books on tape/CD, this Ess Chron comes with a mini CD that plays in a Holocron-shaped player? You could listen to it like Jocasta Nu or Yoda or someone was telling you the tales! It'd be pretty expensive, but so cool!

mastermatt24
06-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Looks cool but... the thing that bothered me with some of the new guides was that they were already out of date when they were released, just like this one is going to be after this summer. :neutral:

El Chuxter
10-31-2005, 06:28 PM
This arrived in the mail on Friday (along with 365 Days), and I must say it does not disappoint.

It covers the SW galaxy from pre-history all the way through The Unseen Queen (which surprised me more than a little). And it appears to iron out quite a few of the inconsistencies and nagging questions.

I'm just starting to read from cover to cover, but thumbed through and read several sections out of context before beginning. And I've learned some really cool stuff.

Did you know. . . .

Arden Lyn was a Dark Side survivor of the first Jedi Schism?

Humans officially originated on Coruscant, and the Taungs of Coruscant officially evolved into the original Mandaloreans?

A'Sharad Hett survived Order 66 and returned to Tatooine to live among the Tuskens and plot revenge? And Khruk not only survived, but took a Padawan following Order 66? (I want to know where those stories can be found.)

There actually is an "official" story of the Invasion of Coruscant that (somewhat) resolves the conflicts between Labyrinth of Evil and Season II of the Clone Wars?

Ewoks get mentioned this time around?

I only have two complaints about the book so far. First, it's obvious that Wallace wrote a lot of new text, but recycled almost as much from the previous edition. Hence the "With Kevin J Anderson" byline. When you get to large sections that are almost the same as before (like the "Profiles in History" section), it becomes a bit more tedious to read.

Second, there's no guide as to what books/games/comics/whatever cover what time period. This was a flaw in the original, but it at least listed the sources that were used (IIRC). The new edition simply tells you to go to starwars.com. Good luck navigating that maze and finding what you want. :rolleyes:

mastermatt24
10-31-2005, 09:39 PM
I was VERY happy when I flipped it open in borders to find out that tommy lee did a ton of the art work.. Im refraining from reading it because I noticed it covers a few unreleased books, but overall it looks great! :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
11-01-2005, 01:56 PM
I agree Chux, I flipped through the New E.C. and liked it quite a bit. I didn't pick it up but I'm thinking about it.

El Chuxter
11-03-2005, 02:09 PM
...there's no guide as to what books/games/comics/whatever cover what time period. This was a flaw in the original, but it at least listed the sources that were used (IIRC). The new edition simply tells you to go to starwars.com. Good luck navigating that maze and finding what you want. :rolleyes:

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/f20051025/index.html

I'm not crazy about this being online, but if it means getting this much info, I'm game. :)