PDA

View Full Version : "Wild Bantha Chase"

stillakid
06-02-2005, 11:12 PM
On his way out the door, Ober's tells Anakin that his trip to find Grievous will probably be just another "wild Bantha chase."

So, aren't colloquialisms like that usually based on fairly well known "elements" of life? Like here on Earth, geese are pretty common. "Penny for your thoughts" will be heard here in the States primarily because we have pennies. For the same reason, you won't hear that saying in, say, Malaysia. I don't know for certain, but it's likely that Jamaicans don't say "wild goose chase" because they don't often get to experience the joy of a goose in their lives.

So given that, just how common are Bantha's anyway? Why would Obers say that? Isn't Tatooine one of those out of the way places that isn't even part of the Republic? And for that matter, the only experience Obers has with the planet is when Qui Gon entered the screenplay and stole his thunder. Obers was left sitting on the ship twiddling his thumbs.

Are Bantha's that common around the Galaxy that they'd actually have a "slang" saying like "wild Bantha chase"? Or is this just going to be written off by Lucas Worshippers as "nitpicking"? :p

JimJamBonds
06-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Good question, I've laughed everytime I've heard that line. Well the "Lucas Worshipper" in me would say Anner's has told Obi Wan stories that involve banthas. It seemed to be more 'natural' then when Captain Panaka said in TPM "We'll be sitting ducks."

Jim Jam

2-1B
06-03-2005, 12:56 AM
It caught my ear as well and while it is indeed goofy I like it because of Ewan's delivery. MUCH, MUCH better than that sitting ducks line. lol

Jim Jam I thought the same thing, maybe Ani told Tales of Tatooine in that 15 years or whatever that he was Obi's sidekick. Obi-Wan was probably sitting around the campfire drunk on Ansion and started harping on Anakin, saying "dude what the **** is up with that planet you lived on? I barely stepped off the ship to call you a pathetic life form to Qui-Gon's face and he was riding this big stupid looking thing called an Eeopie."

so I assume Anakin probably replied with "Master, that ain't ****, you should see these big things roaming around the desert called Banthas. Huge, beastly things. Let me tell you this much, if you ever maim me and leave me for dead because I turn to the Dark Side, ride an Eeopie over to my step-brother's to drop off my kid because you do NOT want to chase down a Bantha to give you a lift."

CaptainSolo1138
06-03-2005, 07:51 AM
Isn't it possible that Banthas are pretty common throughout the galaxy? It's not like any of their physical characteristics lend themselves solely to desert living. Or has the EU established that Banthas only reside on Tattooine? Did one save Boba Fett from the Pit of Carkoon and later befriend him and be the best man in his wedding? Wow, that'd be a dumb story...... :p

Jayspawn
06-03-2005, 10:20 AM
I like the line a lot. Ewan had a good casual delivery of it. It sounded great!

Rocketboy
06-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Are Bantha's that common around the Galaxy that they'd actually have a "slang" saying like "wild Bantha chase"?Either that, or Obi-Wan said it, knowing Anakin would get the joke. And like others said, it was better than the duck reference (or the dog reference by Threepio in AOTC).

Or is this just going to be written off by Lucas Worshippers as "nitpicking"? :pBingo!

JimJamBonds
06-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Either that, or Obi-Wan said it, knowing Anakin would get the joke. And like others said, it was better than the duck reference (or the dog reference by Threepio in AOTC).
Bingo!

Dog reference???? I don't recall that.

Jim Jam

princethomas
06-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Perhaps Wild Bantha Chase is a very common phrase on Tattooine. In the 10-12 years or whatever it is that Obi has been with Ani, maybe Ani says that all the time. So Obi just jokes it back to him. Its corny, but funny. Its nothing as bad as the horrible 3P0 circus that happens in Clones. This is such a Drag etc. Thats my lowpoint for the entire series I think.

Bantha274
06-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Dog reference???? I don't recall that.

Jim Jam

I believe he's referring to the Geonosian Arena battle where 3P0's head is on the battle droid body and yells "Die Jedi dogs!".

And yes that is a dumb line, just like the "sitting ducks" line.

But I did think the Obi-Wan bantha reference was funny.

JimJamBonds
06-03-2005, 12:01 PM
I believe he's referring to the Geonosian Arena battle where 3P0's head is on the battle droid body and yells "Die Jedi dogs!".

And yes that is a dumb line, just like the "sitting ducks" line.

But I did think the Obi-Wan bantha reference was funny.

Thats right, thanks Bantha. And you're also correct that was a stupid line, but I do like the 'wild bantha chase' alot!

Jim Jam

El Chuxter
06-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Straight-up EU, but Banthas are apparently so common that there's doubt as to which planet they're originally from.

Film-wise, they're only from Tatooine.

The Overlord Returns
06-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Perhaps Bantha's are as common as Gondars that you could be strong enough to pull the ears off of, or nerfherders, who apparently you could be as scruffylooking as...

Slicker
06-03-2005, 03:11 PM
This line could be in the same boat as Han's "You look strong enough to pull the ears off a Gundark". Are Gundarks that common that Luke would know that it's tough to pull there ears off? I personally didn't hear the "wild Bantha chase" line but I may go and see it again tonight so I'll have to pay attention.

Hellboy
06-03-2005, 05:06 PM
After hearing the line I just figured it meant that either Banthas weren't indigenous to Tatooine and quite common throughout the galaxy or that its just a figure of speech thats used much like we use "wild goose chase." And for the record I've never seen a wild goose chase and I've used the phrase countless times so the arguement that Obi-Wan should have first hand knowledge of Banthas before saying this is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

JON9000
06-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Would you, Stilla, prefer a wild womp-rat chase? I love the name womp rat.

JediTricks
06-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Perhaps Bantha's are as common as Gondars that you could be strong enough to pull the ears off of, or nerfherders, who apparently you could be as scruffylooking as...Gundarks, and both of those references were a little less specific than this "wild goose chase" one.

I felt it stuck out a little because of how specific the reference was. Also, we've never seen Banthas moving in any manner other than s...l...o...w...l...y so it didn't work for me on that level. I think "a wild Teek chase" probably would have worked better, and I suspect there are a few people here who would agree. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
06-03-2005, 10:20 PM
I seem to recall the Solo children were told or read a story called "The Lost Little Bantha" or something like that. I forget what book this was. Perhaps in the Jedi Academy trilogy.

I don't see a problem with the 'sitting ducks' line. I'm sure it's quite possible there are ducks out on that lake on Naboo. Then there is this passage from the ANH novel

Ben - Still, even a duck has to be taught to swim.

Luke - What's a duck?

2-1B
06-04-2005, 01:37 AM
Oh my JT, I feel tired just THINKING about chasing after Teek ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Whew, gotta sit down now. Take a break.

lol

stillakid
06-04-2005, 10:59 AM
And for the record I've never seen a wild goose chase and I've used the phrase countless times so the arguement that Obi-Wan should have first hand knowledge of Banthas before saying this is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
That speaks directly to my argument. We've all casually tossed the phrase "wild goose chase" out in normal speech because we're all pretty familiar with geese even though most of us have never participated in an actual goose chase. So since it's a safe bet to assume that Obi Wan never participated in a wild Bantha chase, that would indicate that Banthas are as common around his galaxy as geese are common on Earth.

So, if that's the case, where are all the Banthas?

Bosskman
06-04-2005, 02:08 PM
If you look closely in ROTS in the scene in the senate where Palpy declares the Empie, you can see the Bantha delegation in the lower left corner of the screen.
This is freaking ridiculous. Maybe Banthas are common, maybe they're not. Who cares. I would tend to think that there would be some type of common animal, like say, cows, in the SW universe that are pretty much universally known. Who's to say that Banthas aren't that animal? I see no reason why they should not be. There is no need to have a bantha in every freaking scene just to establish that they're common. Just because we only see them on Tatooine in the fims don't mean jack. Seriously, where the hell else are they gonna show them, Coruscant? Kamino? Bespin? Tatooine is really the only rural/backwater type place we see on screen. I mean how many cows do you see in the city, or at the north pole? Probably not many.

As for dogs and ducks, THERE ARE HUMANS IN STAR WARS TOO and nobody seems to complain about that. What the hell is wrong with references to real life animals or statues of horses and lions in Theed? NOTHING.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Well said Bosskman. I was thinking the same thing about humans being in the movies.

2-1B
06-04-2005, 11:36 PM
And in the OT we never saw any carpeting but Leia insults Chewie as being a Walking Carpet.

So where's the carpeting in Star Wars ?

I know the prequels showed us that there was indeed carpet in the Star Wars universe but it was 16 years before that plot hole was explained. lol lol lol

Mad Slanted Powers
06-05-2005, 12:41 AM
And in the OT we never saw any carpeting but Leia insults Chewie as being a Walking Carpet.

I know the prequels showed us that there was indeed carpet in the Star Wars universe but it was 16 years before that plot hole was explained. lol lol lol

Interesting. I thought there might have been carpet down the aisle at the ANH end ceremony, or in their room on Bespin in ESB. However, I just checked, and no carpet.

Bosskman
06-05-2005, 06:35 AM
There definately WAS carpet in Palpy's office. You can clearly see it when Yoda gets zapped. Caesar, you're absolutely right. This was a HUGE plot hole, but it wasn't adequately fiiled by the prequals because there is still no proof that carpet exists by the time of the OT. My guess is that the Emperor outlawed all forms of carpet throughout the Empire. Come to think of it, maybe Alderaan was the most carpeted planet and that's the REAL reason why it got blown to bits. Tarkin must have just figured he could kill 2 birds with one stone on the whole questioning Leia thing. I don't recall seeing carpet on Alderaan in ROTS but then again we saw VERY little of it.....

stillakid
06-05-2005, 09:15 AM

Silly. That's not a plot hole. A plot hole has to do with the plot. :rolleyes:

But if you want to call it that, great. :) And we can add one point to the Prequels "positive" column for "tying the trilogies together" with this instance of carpeting in Palps' office.

But Bantha's everywhere in the galaxy? Not likely. Of course we don't know for sure, but based on everything we've seen in the Star Wars saga, it's likely that humans evolved on only one planet and then spread out to outlying systems eventually. The potpourri of alien life suggests that humans aren't the "baseline" species for evolution anywhere. So that explains the presence of humans everywhere.

But Banthas? I could see humans/aliens transporting smaller creatures, like Salacious Crumb across the cosmos. Easy to transport, can have a laugh with it. lol But whose gonna box up a Bantha herd and spread their kind across a thousand worlds? At least enough worlds to merit its inclusion into the vernacular.

Think of it this way...as dumb sounding as "WIZARD, Ani!" comes across to us, in the Star Wars universe it was probably akin to saying "Cool!" here on Earth. It would have been inappropriate for Lucas to have his characters walking around saying "Cool!" to each other for the same reason it doesn't make too much sense for them to say "Wild Bantha chase." As to the carpeting, which was later confirmed by Episode I, there was no reason to suspect that it didn't exist given the overwhelming use of clothing by a variety of species in the saga. We know that they know how to construct textiles, plus their use of gravity and flooring indicates that carpeting would not be out of the question even if we never did see it. So while your attempt to mock the initial question was cute :kiss: , it was like comparing apples and oranges, both of which, we won't know if they exist in Star Wars until we see Anakin slice open to impress some babe. :p

Mad Slanted Powers
06-05-2005, 09:30 AM
If Banthas are useful as food or transportation, there's no reason why they wouldn't ship them to another planet. It would be no different then transporting horses or cattle a couple hundred years ago when intercontinental travel wasn't so easy.

I think 'wizard' may actually be a common slang term in the UK, or perhaps was at one time. I recall it being used a lot in the novel Lord of the Flies, as in "This would make a wizard fort."

stillakid
06-05-2005, 10:43 AM
If Banthas are useful as food or transportation, there's no reason why they wouldn't ship them to another planet. It would be no different then transporting horses or cattle a couple hundred years ago when intercontinental travel wasn't so easy.
Okay, I'll buy that. But if that's the case, why the need for a "wild Bantha chase"? Wouldn't they be locked up in cages?

2-1B
06-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Oh it was just a joke. Grow the **** up. lol

And of course Leia knew what carpet was - she worked in the Senate and we know they had carpet there. ;)

princethomas
06-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Stilla, I would say your concern over the familiarity of the galaxy with Bantha's is not the real concern here. If anything, I m puzzled with why someone would use bantha in such a phrase. I believe wild goose chase is used because of the unpredictability of geese in general. That they are difficult to catch for 1 because they are quick movers and 2 because they dont move in any kind of pattern. So you might and fact have to "run all over town" to finally catch them. Even if there are Banthas running wild in the streets of Coruscant, they do not seem like they would be particularly hard to locate, predict their movements or physically get your hands on. Actually securing them as having been captured may be harder.

stillakid
06-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Oh it was just a joke. Grow the **** up. lol

And of course Leia knew what carpet was - she worked in the Senate and we know they had carpet there. ;)

I know it was a joke. But you know I have to address those kinds of things for the kids who like to take those things seriously. :D

Princethomas, roger that! :) I think you more or less hit the nail on the head. While I liked Ewan's delivery of that line and the way it really flies in under the radar, the moment I did hear it (the second time I saw the movie), something struck me as strange right away. Therein lies the genesis of creating this thread. :)

Bosskman
06-05-2005, 04:48 PM
I think they should have used more Bantha expressions in the movies. Period. "Wild Bantha chase" and "Bantha fodder" were not enough. Here are some of my all time favorites:

- Don't look a gift bantha in the mouth
- Don't count your banthas before they hatch
- Don't throw the bantha out with the bathwater
- Kill two banthas with one stone
- Give someone a inch and they'll take a bantha
- This is more fun than a barrel of banthas
- Is that a bantha in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

For me, the prequels were a colossal failure because they were way too lacking in the bantha expression department.

sith_killer_99
06-05-2005, 07:48 PM
What, noone here has been on a wild Bantha chase before?

Ever played Duck Duck Bantha Duck?

Ever read the story "The Bantha That Layed the Golden Egg?

What about the expression "What's good for the Bantha is good for the Banter."? :D

Mad Slanted Powers
06-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Okay, I'll buy that. But if that's the case, why the need for a "wild Bantha chase"? Wouldn't they be locked up in cages? If it wasn't wild and hard to catch, why put it in a cage? I know I've tried to help my dad catch a calf before or herd it through a gate. You think you have it cornered so it has to go where you want it, but then it will take off running and get by you. Of course, we've never seen a bantha move quite like that in the movies, but we've not seen much of banthas in the movies period.

Bosskman
06-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Well, sice a bantha is exactly the size of an elephant (if you don't believe me I have absolute proof, but I think most people know what I'm talking about anyways) I think catching a wild one would be extremely difficult as well as dangerous. I don't know about you but I'd have a hard time trying to make a wild, raging, bull elephant go where I want it to. But then again, what do I know?

Mad Slanted Powers
06-06-2005, 07:25 PM
What I really wanted to see in ROTS was a nerf. I believe they are a cow-like animal prized for it's foamy flesh, which is used in toys all across the galaxy.

Hellboy
06-06-2005, 08:35 PM
What I really wanted to see in ROTS was a nerf. I believe they are a cow-like animal prized for it's foamy flesh, which is used in toys all across the galaxy.

Including the most dangerous weapon next to a lightsaber, the Nerf Crotch Bat. :crazed:

JediTricks
06-06-2005, 11:54 PM
I would tend to think that there would be some type of common animal, like say, cows, in the SW universe that are pretty much universally known. Who's to say that Banthas aren't that animal? I see no reason why they should not be. Yeah, everybody says "wild cow chase" all the time. :p That's my problem with this. There aren't a lot of geese around here yet we still say "wild goose chase", but geese are known to run wild like crazy occasionally while cows are not.

Stilla, I would say your concern over the familiarity of the galaxy with Bantha's is not the real concern here. If anything, I m puzzled with why someone would use bantha in such a phrase. I believe wild goose chase is used because of the unpredictability of geese in general. That they are difficult to catch for 1 because they are quick movers and 2 because they dont move in any kind of pattern. So you might and fact have to "run all over town" to finally catch them. Even if there are Banthas running wild in the streets of Coruscant, they do not seem like they would be particularly hard to locate, predict their movements or physically get your hands on. Actually securing them as having been captured may be harder. That's what I was getting at in my previous post, you really nailed the point though I think.

Well, sice a bantha is exactly the size of an elephant (if you don't believe me I have absolute proof, but I think most people know what I'm talking about anyways) I think catching a wild one would be extremely difficult as well as dangerous. I don't know about you but I'd have a hard time trying to make a wild, raging, bull elephant go where I want it to. But then again, what do I know? As princethomas pointed out above, the "wild chase" akin to chasing one's tail or some other usually-pointless excercise, and this is how Obi-Wan is using it. Your reference would be the exact opposite of what Obi-Wan meant.

stillakid
06-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Well, we've got these anyway:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/duck/index.html

JimJamBonds
06-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Well, we've got these anyway:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/duck/index.html

Check out the "Behind the scenes" on the above like from Stillakid.... very funny!

Jim Jam

JimJamBonds
06-07-2005, 10:05 AM
From the land of EU its seems that bantha's are known around the universe.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/bantha/?id=eu

Bosskman
06-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Hey JT, Mad Cows run around like crazy. Apparently we have tons of them up here but I've never seen one.

stillakid
06-07-2005, 09:11 PM

http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/bantha/?id=eu

Well I'll be a Bantha's uncle. :sur: Thanks for clearing this mystery of the commonality of Bantha's up. :) Looks like this whole thread was a wild Bantha chase that ended up in the EU. :D

2-1B
06-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Well done Jim Jam, soon you will be eligible to join the ranks of the Dim-U monks.

CaptainSolo1138
06-08-2005, 09:37 AM
If he can handle the initiation. It's pretty brutal.

2-1B
06-08-2005, 11:24 AM
What's so brutal about playing a game of Duck Duck Goose Bantha ? :confused:

El Chuxter
06-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Didn't I say the EU has claimed Banthas to be widespread a few pages back? :p

2-1B
06-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Yes you did Chux, and as a reward here is a trail of Reese's Pieces. :)

stillakid
06-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Yes you did Chux, and as a reward here is a trail of Reese's Pieces. :)

Uh, those aren't Reese's Pieces... :sur:

2-1B
06-08-2005, 01:18 PM
stillakid, I'm pretty sure those ARE Reese's Pieces . . . but then again . . . my dog DID just eat that box of crayons yesterday so now I'm confused. lol

CaptainSolo1138
06-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Uh, those aren't Reese's Pieces... :sur:
I don't think the composition is nearly as important as where this trail leads to.

:sur: indeed.

Or perhaps he's just leading him on a wild Bantha chase.....

El Chuxter
06-08-2005, 02:03 PM
If they weren't Reeses Pieces, your dog's been eating way too much peanut butter! :eek:

JediTricks
06-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Hey JT, Mad Cows run around like crazy. Apparently we have tons of them up here but I've never seen one.Still not a lot of common expressions about cows running wild tho'.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/bantha/?id=eu If we're going by the EU, then these wild banthas are quite dangerous to deal with, which as I pointed out before, is almost the exact opposite of the reference that Obi-Wan was making.

stillakid
06-08-2005, 08:50 PM
And if we're now considering the EU, I'll resubmit that Obi Wan and Owen are brothers. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
06-08-2005, 09:33 PM
And if we're now considering the EU, I'll resubmit that Obi Wan and Owen are brothers. :D

It's even mentioned in book 3 of the Jedi Apprentice series. He was thinking of things in his past as he tried to withstand a memory wipe and he thought of his brother Owen. Though, it's quite possible it could be a different Owen.