PDA

View Full Version : Need a list of the best of the OT core characters

Monstermile
06-03-2005, 05:31 AM
I've been going through all of my figures (literally 100's) trying to get everything ready to sell or trade. But I want to keep what would be considered the best sculpt of the core characters from any of the lines. I know this will probably go outside of the bounds of OTC, but I figured this would be the best place to start. I was starting to get really shell-shocked looking at all of these figures. So I need what is considered the best sculpt of:

Luke Skywalker (ANH, ESB, ROTJ)
Princess Leia (ANH, ESB, ROTJ)
Han Solo (ANH, ESB, ROTJ)
Chewbacca (any)
Darth Vader (any)
Obi-Wan Kenobi
C-3P0
R2-D2 (this is probably the Commtech)
Yoda

Also which Han was it that had articulated knees so he could sit in the cantina diorama.

Ryno
06-03-2005, 10:44 AM
The commtech/OTC Han has the articulated knees you are probably thinking of. But, the VOTC Han does too. I know people love the VOTC, but for some reason I like the OTC Han better.

Here are some of my personal opinions:

Luke: ESB - If you don't mind the stupid button in his back the OTC Bespin outfit and if you like your figures a little bloody the Saga version (The Saga Hoth Luke is also pretty nice and a bit bloody.) For ROTJ - I think Jabba's Palace is your best and only bet.

Han: ANH - OTC, but the sculpt is better on the VOTC I guess. ESB - POTJ Bespin Capture.

Vader: VOTC

Obi-Wan: If you like soft goods then the VOTC, if not, I don't remember which line it is, but there is an Obi-Wan that is molded with him wearing his hood that I think looks pretty nice.

Monstermile
06-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Obi-Wan: If you like soft goods then the VOTC, if not, I don't remember which line it is, but there is an Obi-Wan that is molded with him wearing his hood that I think looks pretty nice.

Would that be the Flashback one??

Ryno
06-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah, that's the one.

Rogue II
06-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Obi-Wan: I liked the POTJ Obi-Wan. In fact, I put a soft goods cloak from an accessory pack on him.
C-3P0: OTC/MM Coin
Chewbacca: Saga
Yoda: OTC
Darth Vader: Commtech isn't bad
Han Solo (ESB): POTJ
(ANH): OTC
Luke: I agree with Ryno. As far as ANH, I liked the one with the T-16 model
Leia: Hard to say. Of course, the deluxe Slave Leia was better than the POTF2 version. The OTC Bespin Leia is better than the POTF2 Leia collection. Hasbro should really start doing more resculpts of her from Endor and ANH.

jjreason
06-04-2005, 12:38 AM
This is so subjective, everyone has their opinions about which figures are best. Here are my suggestions OUTSIDE the VOTC:

Luke Tatooine - Blast shield helmet from POTF2 (virtually interchangeable with about 4 POTF2 Lukes and the Saga Hall of Fame Luke, I like this one's accessories best)

Luke X-Wing - OTC or POTF2, again they're basically the same.

Luke Hoth - 2004 Saga

Luke Dagobah - 2004 OTC

Luke Bespin - OTC or 2002 Saga

Jedi Luke - 2004 Saga/OTC Jabba's Palace

Endor and/or Throneroom Duel Luke - there isn't one worth keeping.

Han ANH - Commtech

Han Hoth - 2003 Saga

Han Bespin - POTJ

Han Endor - POTF2, but it's no screaming hell. I think they'll do better before this is over.

Leia ANH - New Likeness from POTF2/OTC/Saga Hall of Fame - the Commtech one is too expensive.

Leia ANH Celebration - Flashback

Leia Hoth - POTF2

Leia Bespin - Princess Leia 2 pack version

Leia Boushh - SOTE

Slave Leia - POTJ Deluxe

Ewok Leia - Princess Leia 2 pack version

Endor Poncho Leia - Millenium Minted Coin version

C3PO - ROTS

R2D2 - 2002 Saga w Electronic sounds

Chewie - Saga Bespin Escape with light-up Threepio parts

Darth Vader - POTF2 Removable Helmet

Yoda - OTC Dagobah Yoda

ROTJLuke
06-22-2005, 03:41 PM
This is so subjective, everyone has their opinions about which figures are best. Here are my suggestions OUTSIDE the VOTC:

Luke Tatooine - Blast shield helmet from POTF2 (virtually interchangeable with about 4 POTF2 Lukes and the Saga Hall of Fame Luke, I like this one's accessories best)

Luke X-Wing - OTC or POTF2, again they're basically the same.

Luke Hoth - 2004 Saga

Luke Dagobah - 2004 OTC

Luke Bespin - OTC or 2002 Saga

Jedi Luke - 2004 Saga/OTC Jabba's Palace

Endor and/or Throneroom Duel Luke - there isn't one worth keeping.

Han ANH - Commtech

Han Hoth - 2003 Saga

Han Bespin - POTJ

Han Endor - POTF2, but it's no screaming hell. I think they'll do better before this is over.

Leia ANH - New Likeness from POTF2/OTC/Saga Hall of Fame - the Commtech one is too expensive.

Leia ANH Celebration - Flashback

Leia Hoth - POTF2

Leia Bespin - Princess Leia 2 pack version

Leia Boushh - SOTE

Slave Leia - POTJ Deluxe

Ewok Leia - Princess Leia 2 pack version

Endor Poncho Leia - Millenium Minted Coin version

C3PO - ROTS

R2D2 - 2002 Saga w Electronic sounds

Chewie - Saga Bespin Escape with light-up Threepio parts

Darth Vader - POTF2 Removable Helmet

Yoda - OTC Dagobah Yoda

(About the bolded text) Isn't that the truth. Wait until '06, and hopefully well have an awesome DS II Jedi Luke. Im hopin and prayin! :cool:

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I have to agree there, Hasbro still needs to get that Luke Endor/DS2 right, that's my favorite Luke.

Honestly, with a lot of these, I don't think we've gotten the real definitive versions yet.

Luke ANH (Tatooine outfit): Commtech Luke, I guess. They're all kinda weak but he has better articulation. The shrimpy and goofy-looking VOTC definitely is not it for me.

Luke ANH (X-wing Pilot): The Saga version is the only true version of this figure. It's still pretty thin and has a kinda goofy face, but it's a lot closer than anything else.

Luke ESB (Hoth outfit): I'm going to give this one to the Saga Wampa-bashed version, it's a good figure even if it is too scene-specific.

Luke ESB (Snowspeeder Pilot): I don't have the one from the POTJ Snowspeeder, so the only choice is the POTF2 figure which is called an X-wing pilot but isn't.

Luke ESB (Dagobah Training): The OTC version is hands down the best, though it's not perfect it's pretty good.

Luke ESB (Bespin): The OTC one has the superior articulation than the POTF2 version, and better paint and a shorter gimmick button than the Saga version it's based on.

Luke ROTJ (Jabba's Palace): The Saga/OTC version is pretty good, not perfect thanks to wonky articulation but close enough.

Luke ROTJ (Endor Poncho): There's only 2 of these, both POTF2, the first is a pack-in with the speederbike, that's out; the second is the superior one from the Millennium Minted Coin set, but it's only slightly better.

Luke ROTJ (DS2 Throne Room): Sadly, the least-bad version of this is the POTF2 Cinema Scene "Final Jedi Duel" figure, it's not terrible but it's preposed and not great either.

Leia ANH: I won't bother with the ceremony figures, just choose from the regular Leias. I'd say the commtech version, even with the hood up and screwy paint, is the best because it's got ok soft goods that let her bend and move and a decent likeness.

I've kinda run out of steam already. I'll try to remember to return to finish what I started, otherwise Yoda will be honked at me. ;)

Devo
06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
I think I'll chime in here with my preferances even though Monstermile has probably long since finished with any need for this thread.

Luke (ANH) - commtech (I like the accessories and he has articulated knees but the elbow articulation is pretty useless - he's also too tall)

As yet there is no good Luke as Stormtrooper or Luke in ceremonial gear

Luke (ANH) - POTJ Xwing pilot (detailed outfit but appears to have buck teeth and is in a feminine, non-changeable pose)

Luke (ESB) - Saga Hoth (also nicely detailed but lacks articulation - he's almost preposed to be hung upside down reaching with the force for his lightsabre)

Luke (ESB) - OTC Dagobah (Bit of a crap headsculpt - they've never gotten Hamill right - but otherwise no complaints)

Luke (ESB) - OTC Bespin (I prefer the non-battered OTC version. A VOTC treatment would be ideal for Luke in this outfit - this one falls a bit short)

Luke as snowspeeder pilot needs a resculpt. The better of the existing ones is the pack-in with the POTJ snowspeeder (the high collar) but its otherwise the same as the carded 'x-wing pilot' figure from POTF2 and is therefore blighted with inferior detail, a tiny head and non-removeable helmet.

Luke (ROTJ) - Saga Jabbas palace (good but it can't hold the lightsaber with two hands - a big oversight as far as I'm concerned - about once in the trilogy did Luke hold the sabre with one hand)

Yeah thats it for ROTJ Lukes - theres no good endor Luke and no good DSII Luke.

Han (ANH) - Commtech (personally I'd like to combine parts from Commtech and VOTC Hans to make the ideal ANH Han and also throw in a stormtrooper belt - the head and torso of CT and the arms and legs of VOTC)

The stormtrooper Han from the Trash compactor scene, while better than the Luke one, would benefit from a VOTC makeover

Han (ESB) Saga Hoth (good for trudging through deep snow against wind but we still need another one with more articulation, a more neutral leg stance and with Hood down)

Han (ESB) - POTJ Bespin (i'm pretty much happy with this one - we just need a torture rack version aswell)

A new Han Carbonite would be nice. We are also short of any definitive ROTJ Hans. As far as I'm concerned anything that came before POTJ isn't definitive (POTF2 endor Han) - unfortunately some figures post-POTJ haven't been definitive either (Saga endor raid Han)

Leia (ANH) - VOTC (great but there have been better face sculpts and, as is symptomatic on all figs with ball jointed necks, the neck appears to be too long - I'd like to combine the VOTC body and limbs with the head from the 25th anniversary set which was the best likeness to carrie fisher they've ever done)

The old Leia Ceremony figure is crap. I'll move on.

Leia (ESB) POTF2 Hoth (not definitve - it being too tall and with only basic articulation - but this one does me fine till they make a new one)

Leia (ESB) POTJ Bespin escape (A superb figure but even at that it could be better with articulated wrists because they're in a permanent gun-holding position that looks odd if she isn't holding a gun)

Leia (ESB) OTC Bespin gown (I just wish they'd used the the Bespin escape head rather than trying a new one because it isn't as good)

Leia (ROTJ) POTJ deluxe (I mention this because the height is accurate and it has a cloth skirt that actually looks good. I suppose there's not much you can do to articulate an almost naked figure but I'd settle for a series of preposed Slave Leias)

Leia (ROTJ) POTF2 freezeframe ewok village (not bad but it being a POTF2 figure its too tall and it would look better with some hair coming down the front)

I might have included Leia Boushh from POTF2 but in light of Saga Lando Skiff I know for a fact this one could be far far better. We also need a new endor Leia and briefing room Leia (the POTJ representative for the latter was surprisingly crap)

Chewbacca (all films) - VOTC (just about as definitive as it gets - all we need is a hair slicked back variant)

C-3PO (ANH) - POTF2 Flashback (Not perfect but I love the wear and tear effect and the way its actually sculpted on. I love that they added the dent in his head and that they made his left arm removeable below the shoulder)

C-3PO (ESB) - POTF2 Freezeframe Removeable limbs (This figure has a fantastic rusted effect and looks great in the netted rucksack on VOTC chewie's back)

C-3PO (ROTS special mention) (Gold and shiny just like at the end of ANH and the face looks the most like threepio's of all the figures he's had)

R2-D2 (ANH) - Commtech (I don't have this one but it looks sublime and marks are added for Leia hologram - if only it had the wires on the feet like the VOTC version)

R2-D2 (ROTJ) - Saga Jabba's palace (Oddly clean for a tattooine figure but this makes him a good for scenes in all the films in which he is clean and the CT version has a bit of wear and tear on him)

The VOTC R2 is good but of course he has that chrome head for some reason.

Ben kenobi (ANH) - POTJ (This figure with a cloth robe accessory is about as good a basic kenobi figure as we've gotten so far)

Ben (ANH) - 25th anniversary (fixed lightsabre dueling pose but a worthy sculpt - though mine has difficulty holding his sabre)

Ben (ESB/ROTJ) - OTC Dagobah (I think this is just about the best ghost effect they will ever achieve - also a good pose - I wonder if we'll ever get one in a fixed sitting position)

Yoda (ESB/ROTJ) - OTC (I think the face could have been better - the POTF2 versions seemed to get the eyes whereas this one looks rather squinty. Some good force-using poses can be achieved with this one however and it was a good idea to have his upper part removeable to fit in the rucksack)

Lando (ESB) - POTJ (good bespin escape pose - unfortunately it requires the gun to look good since the wrists are fixed in that position. But this was a good likeness)

Lando (ESB) - VOTC (needs mention I suppose for having compensated for the POTJ's lack of articulation. However he's far too short, he's supposed to be taller than Lobot - understand Hasbro?)

Lando (ROTJ) -Saga Skiff guard (definitive)

Lando (ROTJ) - Saga General (Likeness isn't spot-on but this is fantastically detailed and articulated)

Darth Vader (ANH) - commtech (from here on Hasbro finally started getting Vader right, with maybe one or two slight hiccups. great fixed neutral pose and a lovely sculpt. And the cloth capes look good - one of the first figures to pull it off IMO)

Vader (ANH) - 25th anniversary (a more-or-less fixed pose aswell this time for lightsaber dueling)

Vader (ESB) - POTJ Dagobah (a novelty Vader figure given his slight translucency and luke face beneath the mask. However it remains passable for other scenes, the eyes are great and it holds the sabre with two hands)

Vader (ESB) - Saga Bespin (Scene specific which isn't always a good thing but we had to have this one. Its a beautiful looking figure with a nice base/accessory - sure it has an action feature but it isn't terribly noticeable)

Vader (ROTJ) - POTJ emperors wrath (the sculpt of the helmet is off but, for me, this didn't become apparent until this same sculpt was reissued later on in plain black plastic. Otherwise its a great figure and the lightning effect on the helmet is superbly realised)

Vader (all films) - VOTC (I think the cloth looks terrible on this figure and it benefits from being hidden with a plastic one from another Vader - I'm using the cape from POTF2 Freeze frame Vader with removeable helmet)

The Masters of the darkside Vader was also good - the Saga DS2 duel Vader was not. The action feature hampers the quality of the figure, he can hardly hold the sabre the arms are so loose. Making the waist cape plastic was a terrible idea as it means he cannot lie down and cape provided (from the Bespin Vader) looks crap here.

Stormtrooper (all films) - VOTC (all the key poses can be achieved - neutral, running, running and firing, dead. And unlike the Commtech version he's not anorexic)

Palpatine - POTF2 (the saga one may have appeared more detailed but it just looked goofy as be damned so the old POTF2 one wins out. He still needs to be redone but he'll do for now)