PDA

View Full Version : Expanded Universe Again

Phantom-like Menace
06-03-2005, 04:40 PM
First, I wanted to say thank you, Hasbro, for giving so many offerings from beyond the movies in the past year or two. I've loyally purchased Clone Wars figures in hopes my small contribution combined with those of other collectors could help convince you of the viability of Expanded Universe figures. I couldn't get them all, because I didn't see them all, but I hope that merely helps our cause.

Before I continue, I know there are those collectors who hate the concept of creating any figures that were not in the movies. I would direct them to this EU Haters-friendly page: http://www.angelfire.com/hero/fmkconlang/no. I hope that helps get it out of your system.

Please build on this Hasbro. I've seen suggestions in the past that you could hide EU figures in the packages with regular movie figures (please, no short packing--wow a pox on all short packing!!!), so stores don't have to decide whether or not to risk buying a bunch of figures kids have never heard of. That seems awesome. In the middle of Luke, Leia, Han, and Darth Vader, we get Rukh, a Noghri body guard from Heir to the Empire. In the middle of Chewbacca, C-3PO, and Obi-Wan, we get Corran Horn, the ex-Corsec fighter pilot/Jedi from the X-wing novels.

At some point in the future, you guys are going to be scratching your heads as to which figures to build, and much of the best ideas would be left to Expanded Universe figures. If you start now, Expanded Universe figures can help extend the line.

Also, have you guys seen some of the awesome stuff fans are doing with wax casting? They spend a few days carving a figure from wax while drawing upon a lifetime of fandom, cast that sucker, pour in some plastic, paint, and some of their work can compete with yours. It might be tempting not to buy the Hasbro version for a person who has just spent a relatively large sum of money on a brilliant EU offering from a fan.

Thank you again for what you have done, but please consider what you can do. I do after all like thanking you guys more than criticizing you.

DarkArtist
06-03-2005, 06:22 PM
I agree. Plus since much of the Star Wars is now in comics, games and novels, expanded universe is just the thing needed to bring about a new line of toys. Look at the movies for instance, Lucas is using characters that appeared in EU, Quilon Vos, Aurra Sing, Aayla Secura.
Hasbro has a great opportunity to develop characters from Republic Commando, Dark Forces, Star Wars Infinities, Heir to the Empire, Knights of the Old Republic.

El Chuxter
06-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Hasbro, after December 26 of this year, the kids will officially be gone. You won't be able to use that excuse anymore. It's time to get into the EU for us grownup nerds. :)

acave
06-03-2005, 06:55 PM
How cool would it be to have a set of Republic Commandos or have a up to date figure of Kyle Katarn. I would even like to see Darth Raven

jedi master sal
06-04-2005, 01:20 AM
Hasbro, after December 26 of this year, the kids will officially be gone. You won't be able to use that excuse anymore. It's time to get into the EU for us grownup nerds. :)

Boy you said it right there, Chux. SW is either going to have to be a collector line after this Christmas, or die. There's no way kids are going to carry this line. As of ROTS, I thankfully have seen kids buying the toys, but that's not going to last. Sure there will be the exceptions to the rule, but the average kid, IMHO, lacks the attention span to continue to collect what many would consider to be a defunct movie franchise. Sure we can point to the comics, proposed tv show and video games. But to the average kid, I don't think that would be enough to entice them to continue to collect.

Nope, Christmas is the do or die time for the SW line. Let's just hope that LFL gets the TV show into production by then, so Hasbro will continue to make SW toys. Either that or Hasbro finally reliqushes the thought that this is a kids line and truly caters to the collecting community.

shammykenobi
06-04-2005, 10:28 AM
I agree. Plus since much of the Star Wars is now in comics, games and novels, expanded universe is just the thing needed to bring about a new line of toys. Look at the movies for instance, Lucas is using characters that appeared in EU, Quilon Vos, Aurra Sing, Aayla Secura.
Hasbro has a great opportunity to develop characters from Republic Commando, Dark Forces, Star Wars Infinities, Heir to the Empire, Knights of the Old Republic.

I'm not sure if everyone knows this or not, but aurra sing is not an expanded universe character. She was created by Doug Chiang when George Lucas realized that Episode 1 needed a bounty hunter. Lucas told Chiang to create a female bounty hunter that they dubbed, "babe fett" during the process of creating her. After the final charcter design had been approved, George gave her the name Aurra Sing. I found all this information in the book that came with the twelve-inch Aurra action figure. Other character like Quinlan Vos and Aayla Secura were created by the people that writes the comics.

DarkArtist
06-06-2005, 05:54 PM
While you are right Shammykenobi, the fact the Aurra Sing only got like 2 seconds of screen time and more coverage in the comic book world then in the actual saga it might quailfy her as more of an expanded universe character than a saga character. Either way, expanded universe is just that the ability to take a character or characters and expand upon them. Hasbro already did this with the creation of the ultimate bounty hunters pack and aurra's swoop bike.

Kyle Katarn
06-06-2005, 06:15 PM
I would like Hasbro to make a complete line of Expanded Universe, there are many collectors right now, and they would sell a lot with this line. If not a comlete line, some figures, like they did with POTF2.

darko666
06-06-2005, 06:23 PM
it seems to me that Hasbro likes to re-hash old figures with new molds. after hearing that they are going to re-release the VOTC figures, i doubt we will see any EU figures for a while. and thats only if Hasbro even decides to go in that direction. i'd rather see EU figures on the pegs rather than another luke or vader figure. the EU and SOTE waves that were released a while back are some of my fav waves to come out in the series. but since Hasbro will go back to the OT, i'm hoping for at least new characters to be made. The Sisters are being made, so thats hope that we will being see some new figures.

sith_killer_99
06-06-2005, 07:31 PM
I've seen suggestions in the past that you could hide EU figures in the packages with regular movie figures (please, no short packing--wow a pox on all short packing!!!), so stores don't have to decide whether or not to risk buying a bunch of figures kids have never heard of.

Hasbro already did this with the POTJ line and it worked out well.

but since Hasbro will go back to the OT, i'm hoping for at least new characters to be made. The Sisters are being made, so thats hope that we will being see some new figures.

It is believed that Hasbro will go back to the OTC style packaging after ROTS #56. However, this does not mean that they will only be producing OT characters. I predict that we will see something more akin to the POTC line that contained figures from all the films. Hasbro could easily incorporate EU figures into that line.

Personally, I would love to see some really good EU figures, though I suggest that they add them into the regular line, or...for all the EU haters out there, a compromise. Ship EU figures with the regular line, but give them a seperate numbering system or a different insert, something to distinguish them from the "Movie" figures.

BTW, many of the EU fans consider the "Jedi Training Gear Gui-Gon" as a thinly veiled Talon Karde. :D

rust
06-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Hasbro should see how high the demand for EU is.

Entertainment Earth Exclusive: Yuuzhan Vong Warrior 4 Pack, 4 Different Variants, 16 Yuuzhan Vong.

If that sells well, Hasbro may reconsider making EU.

mastermatt24
06-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Im all for that, but it could condem the line before it even starts. I doubt half the people on this website even know what the Vong are all about. Yes I would buy it but I dont think that you could put an entire line worth of figures on one four pack. It would be cool to see a bunch of grand admirals on a kind of cinema sceen on a star destroyer bridge contianing Daala (sp?), re-sculpted Thrawn, and Pealleon. :D And maybe another pack with Jedi or something..

DarkArtist
06-08-2005, 09:17 AM
I think that if Hasbro used the video game platform as a launching pad for the new expnaded universe line people who play the games would buy plus most people know the games and charcters. After the initial run of video game characters they can jump up to the comics and finally novels. Even if they make these figures as a HasbroToyShop exclusive for the initial release they will sell out. :)

jedi master sal
06-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I like the Video game characters much better.

Here are some examples of figs/figure packs they could test the waters with:

Republic Commando 4-pack (All four Commandos in one pack!!!) A sure seller. Not only becase it is a kick arse game, but they are cool figs and clones to boot! Army builders (like myself) would go nuts to get a few sets of them.

KOTOR 3 packs
1) Bastila Shan, Carth Onasi, Darth Malak
2) Jolee Bindo, Canderous Ordo, Darth Revan (male version -3 head sculpts- caucasion, african american, asian)
3) T3-M4, HK-47 (Meatbag! ha ha couldn't resist), Juhani
4) Mission Vao, Zaalbar, Darth Revan (female version -3 head sculpts- caucasion, african american, asian)
5) Mandolorian Warrior (possibly 2 or 3 different paint applications), Sith Trooper (standard and red varaints), Rakata (wasn't there a light and dark version of this too?) (This whole set screams Army building pack!)
6) Darth Bandon, Calo Nord, Davik (made so that you can exchange head with Revan head so as to have a different suit for the player/character)
Deluxe Motta the Hutt (Maybe)
Deluxe Krayt Dragon (This would be huge and we would finally get a Krayt Dragon!)

The KOTOR line would get 18 figures plus the two deluxe. That covers most of what is seen in the game. I don't think Hasbro would be to keen on making every figure from the game, but the principal characters and important minor characters are well represented. The different head sculpts would be packed in same set so that you don't have to get a new set to get the different head sculpts. Becuase if Hasbro got greedy and tried to sell them seperately, I think they'd have a stinker here then. Just make it easy for us to collect the EU stuff and we'll buy it up. Make it hard and it will sit there on the shelves.

The Commando set is a no-brainer, that Hasbro dropped the ball on. I'd still bet though that if they made these guys that they would sell like hotcakes. Heck they could sell that set for $30 easy (as long as they are SA and come with multiple gun accessories). I'd buy at least 3 sets myself!

-Sal

mastermatt24
06-08-2005, 11:00 PM
It would be awesome if they did something with book stores with commando exclusives for the next RC Book. (http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/news20050608.html)

Phantom-like Menace
06-08-2005, 11:48 PM
I just read about the new Republic Commando book. I got the old one free from a friend before it came out, because he got it from a promoter of some kind, and I enjoyed it. I hope the series continues until Order 66 is given. I don't think I need to give supporting evidence to say Republic Commando figures would sell very well.

Timothy Zahn's books, certainly the first three, demand figures. I know the Grand Admiral Thrawn I have doesn't leave the Emperor's side (Vader, on the other hand, is usually off fighting Luke or Obi-Wan), and my collection all but has a giant sign with the words "Check it out! It's Mara Freaking Jade" written on it pointing to Mara Jade. I never found the Zero-G trooper who looked so awesome in the West End Games Roleplay book.

Figures for Stackpole's Rogue Squadron books are largely possible through kitbashing, but very little effort on Hasbro's part (mostly head molds mated to old bodies--G.I. Joe does it all the time) would make the work all the better.

Characters from KOTOR and it's sequel would make excellent figures, though I would be most interested in the Lords of the Sith from the second game.

Too many possiblities, not enough realities!

jedi master sal
06-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, that would be freakin' awesome. They could come out with BOTH squads! Two different 4-packs. Man, I think I'd have died and gone to heaven...

But we know this isn't going to happen...