PDA

View Full Version : Speech Patterns

Kidhuman
06-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Did anyone else notice how the NEimodians speech pattern was a lot different in ROTS than TPM and AOTC? They didnt have the long drawn out pattern and it sounded more like a normal speech pattern. I hated it. They should have left that alone.

Thoughts on this?

Hellboy
06-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Yeah I noticed it but we did see something similar in AOTC with that Neimoidian that accompanied Nute Gunray in the Geonosis War Room -"We must get the starships back into space." That guy had a strange deep voice that was even a further departure from what we saw in TPM. After that scene I just figured the Neimoidians speech patterns vary considerably so it didn't bother me in ROTS.

2-1B
06-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Nute sounded the same to me but that one "Magnetize! Magnetize!" Captain sounded different to me. lol

Slicker
06-04-2005, 09:14 AM
It could be due to them being from different parts of Neimodia like in the US here you have the northern "accent" and the southern "accent".

stillakid
06-04-2005, 11:24 AM
I LOVED the new speech pattern from that "Magnetize" guy. Reminded me of Waldorf and Statler from Muppet Show. :D It fit in well with the slightly over the top behavior of Grievous. Really the best part of the ROTS. If only the whole movie could have captured the fun of those two guys, then we'd have a real hit on our hands.

But if we really want to talk about speech patterns, riddle me this: since when does a nefarious looking life support suit alter someone's speech pattern from a Hayden Christianson delivery to a James Earl Jones delivery? I have to admire Ewan for taking the effort to slightly emulate Sir Alec's speech delivery to "tie the trilogies together." What the F was Hayden doing? He never sounded like Vader in tone or speech pattern. Why not? Was that suit magic?

JimJamBonds
06-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Well I'd say speaking through a machine would change how you sound so that would have some effect. Perhaps this was part of Sids plan, since he was putting longer sticks and wings on Vader why not make his voice sound more bad ash as well???

I think Ewen did a nice job of linking the two Obi Wan voices however I don't think Hayden had any chance to sound like Vader. His voice vs. James Earl Jone's deep voice are two different to try to 'bridge' them and his attempting to "go low" would have been silly. So how does the voice change work??? Beats me!

Jim Jam

Hellboy
06-04-2005, 03:54 PM
But if we really want to talk about speech patterns, riddle me this: since when does a nefarious looking life support suit alter someone's speech pattern from a Hayden Christianson delivery to a James Earl Jones delivery? I have to admire Ewan for taking the effort to slightly emulate Sir Alec's speech delivery to "tie the trilogies together." What the F was Hayden doing? He never sounded like Vader in tone or speech pattern. Why not? Was that suit magic?

Magic suit?? Hardly. Its already been established that the mask/life support system changed the way Anakin's voice sounds. We saw evidence of this in ROTJ when Luke removed his helmet and Vader no longer sounded mechanized. Sebastian Shaw sounded no more or less like Vader than Hayden did so if you're not buying the life support suit changing Anakin's speech pattern you'd have to criticize the OT as well.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-04-2005, 03:55 PM
There were times in ROTS where Anakin's voice seemed deeper. I think I noticed it when he is saying good bye to Obi-Wan.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I LOVED the new speech pattern from that "Magnetize" guy. Reminded me of Waldorf and Statler from Muppet Show. It fit in well with the slightly over the top behavior of Grievous. Really the best part of the ROTS. If only the whole movie could have captured the fun of those two guys, then we'd have a real hit on our hands.
Yeah, since it isn't really doing well at the box office at all. :rolleyes:

I didn't mind the difference in the pilot guy's voice, and Nute Gunray sounded the same. The Trade Federation voice change that I hate is the battle droids. They sound like freakin' teddy bears for God's sake!

Ji'dai
06-04-2005, 05:41 PM
I think Lucas made a conscious decision to introduce more diversity into the cast and change the alien vocal styles after being stung with criticisms that TPM was perpetuating racial stereotypes.

I think the Neimoidian voices in TPM were Asian actors reading English dialogue, although many in the press at the time thought they were American actors mimicing bad Asian accents. Watto was criticized for being a stereotypical anti-semetic character, with his peculiar voice, long nose, scruffy and grubby appearance, and greedy nature. The Gungans, with their pidgin English and Jar Jar's mannerisms, were blasted for their resemblance to the way blacks were portrayed in 30's - 40's Hollywood - as bungling tribal Africans suitable for only carrying luggage. Even mainstream articles were referring to Lucas as "Massa George" when TPM premiered.

I wish the Neimoidians and Gungans had alien voices with subtitles, but too much of that just won't fly in a domestic release. Can't expect kids to have to read the dialogue off screen. Hell, I think even mainstream adult audiences don't like subtitles either. Who wants to have to read when you go to the pitcher show?

Rocketboy
06-04-2005, 05:48 PM
The new Battle Droid voices bugged me more than the Neimodian voices.

stillakid
06-05-2005, 10:08 AM
I wasn't talking about the deepness of the voice. Honestly, some of you have real problems with comprehension skills. :rolleyes:

The topic is about the speech patterns. Hayden has a kind of laid back "smooth" style to his sentences. The James Earl Jones dialogue is a lot more punctuated and direct.

One can see how Lucas made the attempt to tie Hayden and the Vader personae together with those decidely non-Vader lines asking how Padme was at the end of ROTS. Those were sentences that Anakin might say...but not really...not like that. And it wasn't delivered in a way that we are accustomed to hearing Vader either. So the whole thing comes off as pretty weird. But all of that goes away with the atrocious "NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" that Darth Vader would NEVER say. Maybe Loser-kin might, but not Vader. It's much too much emotion for the level-headed rational villain that we got to know in the OT.

Kidhuman
06-05-2005, 11:11 AM
The Battle Droid voice irked me too. It seemed they had more life to life than just being droids.

Ji'dai, the whole subtitle thing is true. Not one Alien that I can remember talked with subtitles in the PT. A lost art by Lucas, different languages.

Droid
06-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Watto and Anakin and Anakin and Sebulba spoke in presumably Huttese in Episode I with subtitles.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-05-2005, 01:04 PM
And Ask Aak also had subtitles in AOTC. Oh, and Jabba in TPM.

Were there any subtitles at all in ROTS or ESB? I can't remember but I'm not thinking so.

2-1B
06-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Also that Rodian dude in AOTC who told Palps that the loyalist committee had arrived. And Anakin spoke in subtitled Huttese to Watto in AOTC.

Slicker
06-05-2005, 02:10 PM
How about Gragra or whatever her name was that Jar Jar stole the food from from in TPM.

Ji'dai
06-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Uh-oh KH, you did it now. Yep, there were snippets of alien dialogue peppered throughout the saga. One of the pod race announcers has an alien dialect and the Geonosians use a clicking vocal speech. I can only think of Tarfful in ROTS. Bossk tells off an Imperial Officer in ESB in some growling curse. Chewie, the Ugnaughts, and Ewoks all use an alien speech without subtitles as well. Even R2 is able to convey emotional states fairly well with just some timely chirps and whistles.

Alien dialogue isn't always appropriate, but I think the Neimoidians and Gungans would've benefitted from it. However, I don't think Yoda would have become such an endearing character and cultural icon had he not spoke English. He uses some wonky sentence structure, sure, but he's still understandable and both kids and adults could imitate him easily. Plus a recognizable language helps the audience identify with the character more effectively.

Kidhuman
06-05-2005, 11:36 PM
I was referring to subtitles actually. ALien speech is there, but we have no clue what they are saying, but most is apparent by there actions.