PDA

View Full Version : Mustafar Playset

Mad Slanted Powers
06-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Finally saw these at TRU today, so I bought one. I opened it up and put it together. The figures appear to be unique to this set as far as I know. Only 6 basic points of articulation though - arms, legs, head and waist. I think Obi-Wan's face is a better likeness than the two carded versions. Vader has his mouth open and if you raise his arms up, it looks like he is doing some sort of monster impression.

The playset itself doesn't impress me too much. It has a place to attach the Deluxe Vader on table, so perhaps I'll put it there when I open it. I don't have the Battle Arenas, but they can attach to it as well. For me, it will mainly be a place to display some figures in a movie setting.

kool-aid killer
06-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Ive yet to get it, but im hoping Hasbro will produce another base that can be attached to it, one that blends in with it better than any of the Battle Arenas currently do. Plus it would give it the ability to hold more characters, whether they be the upcoming Mustafar flea rider or the Separatist leaders and Neimodian sentries.

Hellboy
06-04-2005, 07:37 PM
I saw this at TRU for the first time today as well. It looked better in person than the pictures I had seen online but I still passed. I was surprised that the figures looked halfway decent too considering the pack-ins with playsets are notorious for being pretty cheap looking, remember the Bespin Guard with the Carbon Freezing Chamber, nuff said.

I think what could have made this playset really cool would've been the ability to connect more than one of them together, forming a larger Mustafar play area. Thats really my main problem with Hasbro's playsets, their just to small for my tastes. At least with the Geonosis Arena you could buy multiples to form a more movie accurate looking arena. I picked up a couple extra of those sets when they were on clearance for my arena diorama and it turned out looking pretty nice.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I've never understood why all the hatred toward the Bespin Guard that came with the Carbon Freezing Chamber set. Not a great figure, but decent for a pack in. He has as much articulation as the two with this Mustafar playset and he looks different from the POTJ version of the Guard.

beckmen
06-05-2005, 01:58 AM
You want bad Pack-ins? What about the TPM Playset pack-ins. The Battle Droid for Theed Generator Complex wasn't bad, but the Qui-Gon and BD for the Hanger were horrible. The other day I finally took it out on my Qui-Gon and gave him some "defeated" damage by sticking a red-hot nail through his chest! Yeah, I guess most of the pack-in figs have been horrible, but pilots for vehicles pre-ROTS were good, weren't they?

Scackmgack
06-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Picked mine up yesterday, and it's alright - the two platforms that come off the back make the overall size of the playset a little awkward, and challenging to place in a room. The two battle disks that sit on top of a plume of lava don't make much sense to me, either.

My biggest gripe is that the playset ought to have included some sort of control room to put the Separatist leaders into, maybe behind the set in the place Vader's operating table connects to. Why would you want his table connected to a Mustafar playset when he got the operation on Coruscant?

Turbowars
06-05-2005, 11:41 AM
The thing is guys we are just too old to like these kid geared playsets. The price point says it all.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-05-2005, 12:12 PM
The thing is guys we are just too old to like these kid geared playsets. The price point says it all.
Said one toy collector to another. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to this one but I haven't seen it yet.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Picked mine up yesterday, and it's alright - the two platforms that come off the back make the overall size of the playset a little awkward, and challenging to place in a room. The two battle disks that sit on top of a plume of lava don't make much sense to me, either.Mine is on the carpet in my living room and it seems that those two platforms sticking out kind of tilt the set a bit. Maybe it would stay more level on a harder surface. I'm guessing that the two battle disks on the lava are a loose interpretation of when they were floating down the river of lava on top of small metal platforms.

Fluke Skywalker
06-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I still haven't seen one yet. Much like Haley's comet, I don't plan on buying it, but it'd be neat to see it at least once.

And I agree with all above, Hasbro puts about %2.5 work into it's packed in figures.

Veers
06-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I seen it today at TRU also for $29.99. I picked that up and the Darth Vader Buddy. That is awesome.

Turbowars
06-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Said one toy collector to another. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to this one but I haven't seen it yet.Oh sorry, I forgot theirs still children on these boards.:rolleyes: ;)

Dark Marble
06-06-2005, 09:30 AM
So can all of the battle arenas connect to this thing at the same time or just one at a time? It seems it would make quite a stage if they all connected. Kind of a massive battle floor.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Oh sorry, I forgot theirs still children on these boards.:rolleyes: ;)
No, I consider myself a collector anyway. I just thought it was funny that you were saying, pretty much, "We're too old for these playsets . . . but the other toys, those are fine." :D

Ryno
06-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Ever since seeing it at CIII I couldn't wait to get it; which I just did over Memorial Day. I can't say that I was that impressed with the figures - the paint applications just look really cheap to me. It's like they just slopped some brown paint on their heads. I don't know if anyone had this happen to them too, or if it was just the ones at Toys R Us I saw, but they are packaged with the wrong lightsabers ( I think they are pictured on the box this way too). It's not that big of a deal at all, but when I undid the rubberbands to put them with the right figures; I had a really tough time getting the figures to hold them.

Overall though I think it's a nice playset for the price and it would be even better if they made other playsets ( I won't hold my breath) that would connect to this one. The battle arenas just don't work - the're about 1/4 inch higher than Mustafar and they just seem out of place.

Turbowars
06-06-2005, 05:52 PM
No, I consider myself a collector anyway. I just thought it was funny that you were saying, pretty much, "We're too old for these playsets . . . but the other toys, those are fine." :DLOL, I just meant that the Playsets are sub par to alot of Hasbros other products and we expect too much of them.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-06-2005, 07:14 PM
So can all of the battle arenas connect to this thing at the same time or just one at a time? It seems it would make quite a stage if they all connected. Kind of a massive battle floor.
I don't have any, but from the picture in the instructions, it looks like three battle arenas can fit together, with a corner of the playset filling in the fourth spot.

beckmen
06-06-2005, 08:20 PM
I am 23 and I am not ashamed to admit I open and sometimes lightly play with my SW toys. Not ashamed at all. Online at least ;)

Hellboy
06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
As long as its just lightly Beckmen. Anything more than that and we might have to start worrying. ;)

ndjedi
06-06-2005, 10:52 PM
I think that I was one of the lucky few to get my Mustafar Playset early. A friend of mine actually found it at our Wal-Mart when I was at CIII in Indy that Saturday. He called and said he could put it on layaway for me, then when I returned that Sunday night I went to buy it, back on April 24. I've had it for awhile now and the thing that makes me most upset with the playset is that the two detachable grey things(catwalks) always seem to just fall of, they will not stay put. They are both really easy to take off and on as well. But if you try to put the Obi or Vader figure on them their weight makes it fall off.
I too, wished that this playset would have been bigger, and I don't like that figures had the Wrong lightsabers attached & werid with that extra piece of plastic along with the big clear rubber band on their hands. When you try to put the correct lightsabers on Obi & Vader, you do have a hard time keeping them on. I ended up using smaller clear rubber bands from some of my older Saga figures to keep them in place on Obi & Vader. Another so-called spoiler on this playset is that when you flip over the lava pool it shows Vader's hand coming up out of the lava as if he died in the movie, which we all know he didn't die on Mustafar. There should have been more foot pegs instead of just the one on the side of the volcano and the two on the golden platforms for both Obi & Vader.

Tycho
06-08-2005, 02:02 AM
I love my Mustafar Playset. It is one of my favorite Revenge of the Sith items I own!

I like the Anakin and Obi-Wan pack-in figures. Plain simple figures like back in the old days!

I think the lava fliping feature and the volcano ball launcher are fun to play with!

The spinning platforms in the lava wash are cool. I've used them to simulate The Duel while I play the appropriate music from my soundtrack!

Playsets are so cool!

I put half of the Genosian War Room hologram table in the back of my playset to make the Separatist War Room, and I added the "dead" bodies of Nute, Shu Mai, and Passel Argente to the floor. R2 sees the distruction Anakin has caused as he navigates around them and out the tunnel entrance to where C-3PO is trying to rescue Padme, lying wounded on the front entry plank.

My mining vane attachments stay on fine once you press them down hard and lock them in. I have my Anakin and Obi-Wan up on one of them fighting and it supports them just fine. (My playset's on my living room coffee table).

I think you guys should buy this playset. It's almost as much fun as the Death Star Battle Station (Kenner 1979) and I rate it equally as fun as the Imperial Attack Base (Kenner 1981).

I mean if we buy the playsets, they'll make more!

What they need to do are some of the cool sets that'd be hard to build yourself:

Trade Federation Cruiser hanger / hallways / bridge
The Galactic Senate
Kamino Clone Lab
Lars Moisture Farm
The Jedi Temple
Utopau Landing Platform
Mos Eisley Cantina (to interact with hard-plastic bar sets)
Death Star (a full or modular playset, that becomes very large)
Star Destroyer
Blockade Runner
Mon Calamari Cruiser
Medical Frigate
Ewok Village
Jabba's Palace
Jabba's Sailbarge
Cloud City - larger Bespin Freezing Room
Yavin Base
Echo Base
Shield Generator on Endor with giant radar dish
Emperor's Throne Room
Dagobah

Just to name a few...

jedibear
06-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Ive yet to get it, but im hoping Hasbro will produce another base that can be attached to it, one that blends in with it better than any of the Battle Arenas currently do. Plus it would give it the ability to hold more characters, whether they be the upcoming Mustafar flea rider or the Separatist leaders and Neimodian sentries.

Whaaaaa? When was this announced? I'd welcome a figure of these guys or better yet one of the miners that work the hovering platforms...they look pretty cool.

As for the playset...it's alright. At least we've gotten one major set for each prequel (although I'd still argue that the "Blockade Runner Playset" featuring the Naboo Royal Starship from Episode One is more a cool vehicle than a playset). I like the Geonosian Arena from AOTC and this new one seems alright. Yeah, it would be cool if parts of it were more to movie-"scale" (the mining vanes), but the Arena had scale issues too with the arch ways.

I'm just glad Hasbro gave us something cool for ROTS and I actually like the figures.

kool-aid killer
06-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Im talking about the "Mustafar Sentry" (as he is titled in the Entertainment Earth catalog) who was also called "Flea Rider" on some websites preorder list. As it is, i do believe the sentries actually rode fleas, there is a shot of them on Mustafar doing so.

WesleySr
06-09-2005, 02:55 AM
Am I the only one that is disappointed with this playset? It doesn't go much with the movie. The flip-over lava pond and the lava balls are pointless. As someone else mentioned, the arms that attach to the top of the playset don't stay on very well.

Tycho
06-09-2005, 03:12 AM
You can use your imagination with the action features.

Like I can put Obi-Wan and Anakin on the mining gerder arms and then launch the lava balls. Sometimes they hit the arms and knock the figures off. This is sort of an exageration of like when they were dodging the lava spray in the movie.

If you put the tiny rope swings on their ankles, they can "hang on" when the mining gerders break off. Like I said, they'll stay on if you press them all the way in until they lock. Then you push the plastic to unlock them and let them drop.

jedibear
06-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Im talking about the "Mustafar Sentry" (as he is titled in the Entertainment Earth catalog) who was also called "Flea Rider" on some websites preorder list. ....

Oh okay....thanks for the heads-up. Ans here I thought we were getting another figure other than the 56 from ROTS ):

kool-aid killer
06-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Am I the only one that is disappointed with this playset? It doesn't go much with the movie. The flip-over lava pond and the lava balls are pointless. As someone else mentioned, the arms that attach to the top of the playset don't stay on very well.

I wish there was more space for it, maybe just so that you could have a couple of figures able to stand around it and make it seem somewhat populated. Its kind of hard for me to call it a playset when only a couple of figures can fit in it.

jedibear
06-09-2005, 11:52 AM
I wish there was more space for it, maybe just so that you could have a couple of figures able to stand around it and make it seem somewhat populated. Its kind of hard for me to call it a playset when only a couple of figures can fit in it.

You've got a valid point there...at least with the Geonosian Arena there was ALOT of play/pose space all over the set...

trandoshan666
06-11-2005, 11:37 AM
After searching for this thing forever, I finally found one last night. But after taking a closer look at it, I couldn't bring myself to buy it. It looked better in pictures to me. The playset is pretty disappointing IMO.

kool-aid killer
06-11-2005, 11:05 PM
The playset probably wouldnt look so disappointing if it had more actual space for other figures to be placed around it. Hasbro really needs to make something that can be attached and provide more "playset" to go along with what they already put out because the Mustafar one is quite a letdown.

Tycho
06-12-2005, 01:35 AM
Their modern playsets have lacked a lot in that "holds lot of figures department."

Cardboard Cantina - well, you could put a lot of figures in there. But is cardboard going to count as a real playset?

Death Star Detention Rescue - with an escape hatch that goes nowhere. I'd thought these things could work as modular sections of a larger playset, but they didn't go that route.

Death Star Escape - a bridge swing with 2 doors that go nowhere, and maybe 4 figures can be displayed on the set.

Hoth Rebel Trench - 4 figures fit on this - maybe 1 more in the under-sized turret gun. True, you can buy a few of these and build it bigger.

Carbon Freezing Chamber - OK, some but not enough figures can fit around this set. You can probably pose about half as many as need to be there: Han, Leia, Chewie (w. 3PO), Lando, Fett, Vader, Ugnaughts, enough Stormtroopers and Bespin Guards to guard them, an Imperial Officer, Lobot etc. - but I think you have to take your pick of likely 6 out of 14 of them that you'd need there. This set might be a nice way to display Vader fighting Luke, but at least you can get in all the characters that belong in THAT scene...(so I never bought this and made my own freezing chamber room)

Jabba's Palace - again, does cardboard count? How does your rancor get out from under that floor?

Endor Shield Bunker - double doors that go nowhere. It makes a nice prop when diorama building, but it's just a door frame. You buy a door frame...

Naboo Theed Hanger Playset - this is flimsy, but they had the right idea. If you put 2 to 4 of these together, you can make yourself a nice diorama environment. However, the action feature with the moving Qui-Gon around doesn't work THAT well, and the handle to control him begs removal for display purposes, thus weakening the already flimsy floor support.

Naboo Theed Generator Room Playset - what is this? A platform with launching figures features? You can't make 3 3/4" figures (unattached to anything) perform martial arts. Why do they think it's fun to frustrate kids by making them try? In any case, I did buy it to connect stuff up for diorama building. I could have done without it.

Geonosian Arena Playset - this one I like. My friend made an awesome display with probably 5 or 6 of them. For my purposes, I want just a view in, not a complete stadium, so 2 per view (4 total for two different displays) sounds about right for me. However, the back was wasted and it was more a prop of walls and a doorway, though it did offer some floor with action levers in the good'ol traditional sense - and there was mostly molded plastic to it. A vast improvement over some environments they'd been creating. The Droid Factory part that connected to the SBDroid Deluxe and the C-3PO Droid deluxe was OK, but the choppers could have come closer to actually threatening your Anakin figure, and the Geonosian Droid Factory could have made so much more of an impressive playset if they'd have just done more with it! There were so many more things they could have created for parts to that environment! I still wish they'd revisit the Droid Factory for one giant playset!

Mustafar - I think this one is great. It's as big as you need it to be. An attachable landing platform could have come with the Exclusive Anakin Jedi Starfighter which they could have charged 24 instead of 19 for and no one would have really complained. An extra "lava river" that goes under the mining pylons that stick out the back would have been cool - molded plastic with places to place the hover-stands on toy-stands back there. As to the interior - ADD YOUR GEONOSIAN WAR ROOM DISPLAY SCREEN PROP. I mean how else are you getting figures of Shu Mai, Passal Argente, San Hill, etc. back there in the first place? That makes it look pretty cool. A new Separatist Pack with the security door as a prop (the one Anakin uses the Force to close before he slaughters them) would be a nice add-on with figures of Tiikes, Po Nudo, and Tonbuck Toora in a 3-pack. They could just re-release Nute et. all in new Mustafar "war room" display packs, perhaps with slightly varrying repaints and new hats. Lott Dodd or Wat Tambor could replace Dooku in the one pack he came with (San Hill, Poggle the Lesser).

Hasbro's playset priorities should be:

The Death Star - a very large, PLASTIC and modularly-assembled set that you can build tall, circular, with all the necessary features.

The Cantina - plastic, with possible action levers, large enough for the 25 or more characters they now make for it, including a stage for the Modal Nodes to play on. Perhaps our old Deluxe Bar Sets could plug in.

The Rebel Base? Re-releasing the "Imperial Attack Base" (Kenner 1981) and the Turret and Probot Playset (Kenner 1982) would make sense, as well as retooling it a bit to make a longer trench possible by buying multiple sets that could connect, as well as having a blast door and Echo base command that even the bacta tank stuff could fit into.

The Carbon Freezing Room - let's make this accurate, plastic, and very large! The weather vane and control room playsets should connect like the old Kenner Micro Worlds. A dinning room scene addition and droid smelter room, plus prison cell and torture room would all do wonders for this. Oh - and landing platforms for Slave-One, the Falcon, and Cloud Cars.

Dagobah - improving the old playset, enlarging it to include a sink-your-x-wing-swamp, and some vine-climbing and hand-stand holds would be great!

Jabba's Palace - a multi-level place with a throne room above a rancor pit that could hold the Rancor figure. A carbon-unfreezing feature, prison cells, band stage, droid torture room, entryway with droid answer arm, etc.

Jabba's sailbarge - almost a playset by the vehicles sheer size...

Endor Shield Generator - landing platform for the shuttle. AT-AT docking bay. Elevators. The bunker door. The bunker control room. Fake trees. And an exploding radar-deflector generator dish.

Ewok Village - rereleasing Kenners would do with some touchups and connectability to multiple sets for a larger village if you want it.

Theed Palace - windows for ascension guns, the throne room, the hallway corridor, the hanger with holders for N-1 starfighters, the generator room with the laser doors and the melting pit where Maul falls.

Kamino - landing platforms, clone armory, Jango's apartment, observation balconies, the baby incubator tubes, the observation crafts, and the tactical computer trainers, and Lama Su's office...This could be nice.

Oh I could go on... ( but I'm hungry)