PDA

View Full Version : Serenity

Hellboy
06-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Well seeing as how ROTS has been released its time to get excited about another Sci-Fi picture and I know there are people out there who enjoyed the short lived but quality television show Firefly. So I figured I'd start a Serenity thread considering the trailer is now up. It looks really good and its nice to see the entire cast from the television show return. From what I've seen so far this should be a fun movie.

http://www.serenitymovie.com/

Jediboy
06-20-2005, 11:02 PM
This does look very good. I finally saw the trailer in the theater this weekend at Batman and it was awesome to see it on the big screen! I didn't get into the show when it was on TV, but bought the DVDs and was hooked. What a fantastic show.

Phantom-like Menace
06-21-2005, 01:48 AM
My friend saw the movie in one of the advanced screenings, and he liked it. He's a huge fan of the series, as am I. I actually had him read this thread for spoilers before I looked at it, but he cleared it.

I'm really looking forward to it. I tried watching the show on television, but Fox treated it as Fox does. The DVDs really allowed this show to shine, and that is definitely where I got hooked on it.

Hellboy
06-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Yeah its unfortunate how Firefly was treated when it ran on television in 2002. The failure can be placed squarely on Fox's shoulders too. Playing the episodes out of order and in sporadic fashion is a sure way to kill a series before it gets off the ground. Especially when that series has a strong sense of continuity and story arcs that branched throughout each consecutive episode. Luckily, enough people liked what they saw even though Fox only aired 11 out of the 14 episodes. That and the success of the complete series on DVD were enough to give Joss Whedon a shot at his movie directing debut with Serenity.

scruffziller
06-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Yea, I am really psyched about this movie. The series finale of Firefly was one of the best I have ever seen of any show. I hope those were the space baddies(in the trailer that seemed like monstrous zombies)(can't remember their names; maulers, marauders ?) that they were always afraid of that would chase them and had those weird looking ships with the spikes on them.

Eternal Padawan
07-06-2005, 07:18 PM
My friend recommended the series to me on DVD and I bought it sight unseen. One of the best investments I've made. In my dreams the movie will be such a huge hit, that FOX will start making fresh episodes. Hey it worked for Family Guy right?

I heard they are playing all the episodes on Sci-Fi before the movie comes out. For those of you too cheap to buy an AWESOME tv series on DVD, program your Tivos CAUSE THIS SHOW ROCKS LIKE VINTAGE STONES!!! I give it 5 out of 4 stars.

2-1B
07-07-2005, 02:59 AM
I saw the trailer before Bats and I must admit I wasn't all that impressed by it . . . but in fairness I never did see Firefly so I wasn't familiar with the material. I'll definitely give it a try though, and hope it's fun. :)

Hellboy
07-07-2005, 05:28 PM
I think you'll like it Caesar, it has a great premise, interesting characters and it's blend of both the science fiction and western genres makes it pretty unique. And for the record I don't think the trailer makes the film look all that great, I particularly hated the rock music that was used. Since I watched the tv series and I'm familiar with the material it excited me, but if I didn't know anything about this movie beyond seeing the trailer I probably wouldn't think it looked like anything special either.

If you want to get the most out of the movie though I highly recommend watching the 14 episode DVD box set first. The series and the movie are basically one big story so it would definitely be worth your time. I own the set and have watched it straight through once but even I plan on watching the entire series again before the film.

2-1B
07-08-2005, 04:14 AM
That was my next question Hellboy but thanks for already answering it, "do I need to watch the TV show before I see the film?" :)

I'll check it out, I am intrigued . . . honestly the only thing I knew about Firefly was that Joss Whedon did it and it didn't last long. I got a free promo T-shirt a few years ago at Wizard World but that's the extent of my knowledge. Oh yeah, when does the movie come out ? :)

Hellboy
07-08-2005, 09:16 AM
It doesn't come out until September 30th, so you have plenty of time to catch up. :)

JimJamBonds
07-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Looks pretty good, I don't remember the show but I do recall Joss having a couple shows on the air at the same time and one (or more?) didn't last too long. I think I'll see this come September. :)

When I see the title of this thread I keep thinking of Frank Costanza yelling "SERENITY NOW!"

Eternal Padawan
07-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah. I remember the fervent "Save Firefly!" internet campaign raging across all the fanboards more that I can recall the actual show when it was on. But after I bought the DVD it took me all of seven minutes to get into the 'gunfighters in outerspace' riff. Alan Tudyk and his plastic dinosaurs had me falling off my chair. That guy is a genius. I walked around for the next two weeks saying "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal..."

Good times.

Hellboy
07-15-2005, 10:42 PM
For those who either haven't seen the series or would like to watch it again before the film's release in September the Sci-Fi Channel has decided to rebroadcast the series in it's entirety (including the 3 previously unaired episodes) starting Friday July 22nd. :)

Jediboy
07-24-2005, 02:03 PM
I forgot to check out Firefly on Friday night, but it is good to see that it's back on the air. I think the promos on SciFi give a better idea what the show's about than any of the ads on Fox.

It's good to see that they're airing all the episodes and in the correct order too!

JediTricks
07-24-2005, 09:28 PM
It was part 1 of the REAL pilot, and you can catch it again this upcoming Friday at 6pm just before the 2nd half which airs in the normal timeslot at 7pm.

I had started to forget how good this show was, I knew I still liked it but I had apparently lost the "why I liked it" part, SFC's airing of the series before the movie comes out is a very cool thing to do.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm surprised that no one revived this thread yet, as this film came out yesterday.

I've never seen the show, but damn, that movie was awesome! I highly recommend it, a very good movie. It's the best one I've seen since ROTS (which I suppose isn't saying a whole lot, but still). So was this basically a continuation of the series? Too bad I missed it when they replayed it all a few months ago, but I definitely want to check out the series on DVD.

UKWildcat
10-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Glad to hear the movie was good. I just got disc 2 of the series today from NetFlix. I'm trying to burn through all the episodes before I go see the movie. Hopefully it won't take too much longer.

Rocketboy
10-02-2005, 12:02 AM
Glad to hear it's pretty good.
I'd like to see it, but I'm really low on money this week, so it'll have to wait until next Friday.

trandoshan666
10-02-2005, 01:15 AM
I went to the movie tonight, and must say I loved it. I didn't pay that much attention to the show (it didn't look that appealing) but the movie was reall worth seeing.

Hellboy
10-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I've yet to see the movie myself. Work has had me pretty busy and I wanted to watch the entire series on DVD again before going. I'm only half way through but I'm planning on finishing up my marathon today and seeing the film tomorrow.

Glad to hear its good though, but then again I expexted it to be considering the quality of the series.

JediTricks
10-04-2005, 07:35 PM
I really liked the movie as a whole, it didn't use enough of the western elements of the show, but it did go broader than the show. I didn't like how it used certain characters and how some were killed off, I won't say any more in case some folks haven't seen it, but overall I found it very satisfying and will definitely see it again in the theater soon.

gsr-jedi
10-05-2005, 01:24 AM
I really liked this movie, and now I wanna watch the show. I haven't seen the show, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how this movie could fit into the show's continuity. I'm definitely planning on getting the DVDs anyways

SPOILER ALERT, DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE!!!

In the movie, it seems that Simon & River are new to the ship and they don't know much about them. But in the pictures from the DVD box, River is there with everyone, which means she doesn't kick any butt for the 14 episodes of the show? And if she does, then how are Sheperd and Wash still alive in the show?

thestarwarsman
10-05-2005, 07:16 PM
I couldn't agree more. Overall it was good, some elements I found could have been stronger and then there were things that I did not. Then again if you watch a movie and then read the book IMO the movie suffers some from the book in most cases.

JediTricks
10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
**SPOILERS AHOY!**

. . .

. .

To address GSR's issues, the movie is pretty well integrated with the show, it takes place 6 months after the last ep I believe (so when Wash and Book are killed here, it is supposed to feel real because it is, there's no reset button for them, this is the end of the road for those characters - which I wasn't all that pleased with about the movie). One aspect that wasn't totally integrated from the show though was that there Mal isn't so hardened in terms of how he treats River & Simon (in the show, he thinks of them as crew, in the movie he kicks them to the curb) - I think the idea is that the movie takes place half a year or so later, and in that time as work and life has gotten harder on the crew of Serenity, Mal has hardened over that time, but I could be reading too much into it. In the show, nobody really knows what River is truly about, not even Simon, I felt the movie had Simon showing a little more understanding of what River had become. The audience of the show never really knew what River was becoming, the show had just started really getting into the meat of what the Alliance had been turning her into when the show got cancelled, she had no problem with Wash or Shepard Book that I could remember, but was a threat, both perceived and actively, to others and sometimes it was lucid while others it was not -- creator Joss Whedon explains where he was coming from and going to with all that in the very philosophical commentary track for the final ep of the show.

gsr-jedi
10-06-2005, 10:58 AM
thanks for the heads up JT, now if there could be a break in the SW stuff for a while, I could buy the DVD set

Phantom-like Menace
10-06-2005, 01:59 PM
I can't really say Mal seemed too much harder toward River and Simon than usual, but I also can't say Simon has round-housed Mal to the deck and told him off. Mal has always displayed just enough pride and just enough of a stubborn streak to let Simon make his decision and live with it. It was also the fact that Mal cares deeply for them that he took River and Simon back to Serenity.

Wow, this movie had me laughing. I loved the humor in the series--actually I love most of the Whedonesque humor of Firefly, Angel, and Buffy--and I didn't doubt I would find the movie funny too. I actually felt bad that I was laughing as the first casualty died; the dialogue was just too amusing. I'm used to Mal, Wash, and Jayne supplying the humor but I was suprised how often some of the other characters made me laugh. The expression River gave Simon when he asked if he was talking to Miranda almost dropped me to roll on the sticky floor.

And since no one else has mentioned it, I thought Chiwetel Ejiofor was outstanding as the Operative. I'm amazed how well the movie preserved his menace even as the crew outsmarted him at every turn. It's easy to emasculate your baddie by making it too easy for the heroes to beat him, but all the way to the end you were kept wondering how they were going to defeat this extremely competent, extremely lethal threat. When Mal says he doesn't kill children and the Operative says, "I do," I'm sure some parents in the audience pulled their children a little closer.

The end of that movie didn't let up. It just kept coming. Whedon did an insanely good job of making us think everyone was as dead as dead could be at every turn. The Buffy the Vampire Slayer moment toward the end had me nearly dancing gleefully in my seat.

Suprisingly, I don't really consider myself a Browncoat, the Firefly analog of Star Trek's Trekkers, but I'm almost furious that a good movie like this isn't doing better in theaters. I can't help but suspect the super fans will give this movie quite a bit of endurance, but it's initial strength just wasn't high enough to really make it as successful as its quality demands it should be. Are you sick of "reality shows," crappy movie your certain you could have written if you just beat your head against a wall long enough to lose enough brain cells to conceive? Please go see this movie. Even if it's not something you like, as long as you support good writing, it would behoove you to show it.

JediTricks
10-06-2005, 04:04 PM
And since no one else has mentioned it, I thought Chiwetel Ejiofor was outstanding as the Operative. I'm amazed how well the movie preserved his menace even as the crew outsmarted him at every turn.I thought the actor did good, but the part was a little too derivative of the last ep of Firefly with Jubal Early (the ep's philosophical black Boba Fett).

One thing I thought was interesting is that Joss Whedon is a studio script doctor, usually pulled in to repair act 3 problems (which he says usually start with a weak act 1), but Serenity's 3rd act while exciting seemed a little cinema-cliche and straightforward - it was exciting but mostly just action and light on the story & philosophy. There's also an overabundance of exposition in the beginning to catch unfamiliar viewers up on things even though we're thrust into their lives right after anyway which defines them, and too many of the main characters get underused.

I'm not at all surprised that the movie isn't doing better, it had weak marketing, a horrible release date (September is generally a box office grave yard) and an inaccurate "Star Trek" stigma by the general audience. It's too bad too because the movie is awesome, the first film I've come out of since probably Spider-man where I immediately wanted to go back and see it again and then see more from it.

Hellboy
10-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Wow I really enjoyed Serenity but I wasn't expecting for it to go that dark and be so unrelenting. It was nice to see the humor that the series established wasn't lost as a result. Overall it definitely had a more serious tone than most of the Firefly episodes but that was nice considering more was at stake here and the fact that it cost lives this time around felt right even if it was a bit sudden and shocking. Thats how death is in real life and that sense of realism is one of the main reasons I enjoyed the series and now the movie as much as I did.

Some of the characters might not have had as much screen time as one might have liked but I guess thats the price you pay when making an ensemble picture. They all play so well off each other and for the most part behaved the same as they did at the end of the series. Mal did seem more hardened but it fit his personality from the show. His unpredictability is afterall one of the main reasons Inarra is attracted to him and at his core he was still the glue that held the crew together. It was nice to see the movie expand on River's abilities but I was surprised that we didn't see more of the syndicate who did this to her. Namely the guys who chased Jayne and the Tams in the series wearing the blue surgical gloves and carrying that creepy device that made people bleed through their eyes. Hopefully if the franchise does continue in some form we will get to see more of this group.

The only thing thats disappointing is the fact that Serenity isn't faring well at the box office. I think it might end up having some legs though and hopefully it can recoup most of if not all of it's $39 million budget but the possibility of a sequel doesn't look good at the moment. The DVD sales which played a large part in the movie getting made might help so with luck maybe another film could be done but personally I'd love to see this come back as a series. If it fades into obscurity after this I'll be sad because I think there are still plenty of interesting places Whedon and crew could take us.

JediTricks
10-06-2005, 10:39 PM
I liked that Whedon was able to make the story a bigger picture thing rather than just 2 hours of the show, that wouldn't have been cinematic. On the other hand, I think 2 hours of a movie should have been more than enough time to at least give Wash a few more damn lines if nothing else. :p

I believe the sequels' (they are contracted for 3 movies total supposedly) are guaranteed so long as Serenity makes a scant $80 mil, I dunno if that's Box Office or if it includes home market as well though.

rbaumhauer
10-07-2005, 12:28 AM
And that $80 million figure is worldwide, and it hasn't opened overseas yet, so there is hope.

I'm really of two minds on this - on the one hand, finishing out the 3-movie deal seems the only chance we'll get to see more of the 'verse in the near future, but as much as I did like the movie, Whedon is just fundamentally wired for TV rather than movies. He is an absolute genius at creating groups of characters and letting them interact in interesting ways, and I say this as a guy who only bought the "Firefly" DVDs a couple months ago, and has never watched "Buffy" or "Angel".

"Firefly" was astonishing because it was the rare sci-fi show that was actually character-driven rather than plot-driven - I liked and cared about those nine people, and really wanted to spend more time with them. As good as "Serenity" is - and it is very, very good - it loses the special charm of the TV show, particularly because you just can't give all of the characters the kind of time they deserve.

A lot of Browncoats are very, very upset about losing crewmembers, and I can understand their issue, but Whedon was in an odd situation. "Serenity" is basically the third season of the "Firefly" TV show, condensed down to 2 hours - he had no choice but to amp up the action in order to sell the movie to a mass audience, but in condensing 10-15 hours down to 2, much of the character interaction that was so fantastic in the show is lost.

In a perfect world, the movie would do well enough to make somebody want to work out the TV rights situation and get it back on the small screen, where it really belongs. Whedon has made a great movie, but there is no doubt in my mind that the events in the film, expanded back out to their intended length (and augmented by the never-seen-by-anybody-except-a-bit-in-the-comics 2nd season) would have been much, much better.

Rick

Phantom-like Menace
10-07-2005, 03:02 AM
I thought the actor did good, but the part was a little too derivative of the last ep of Firefly with Jubal Early (the ep's philosophical black Boba Fett).

Well, I'm glad you agree about the actor, but if I said Early and the Operative shared significant similarities, I would find it hard to defend the statement.

I'm not at all surprised that the movie isn't doing better, it had weak marketing, a horrible release date (September is generally a box office grave yard) and an inaccurate "Star Trek" stigma by the general audience. It's too bad too because the movie is awesome, the first film I've come out of since probably Spider-man where I immediately wanted to go back and see it again and then see more from it.

I'm certainly not surprised that the movie isn't breaking records, but I am surprised it's not doing better. I always figured it would mostly be the fans carrying its box office. I just figured there were a few more die-hard fans than 10 million worth, especially since so many of them dragged friends to it and saw it at least twice opening day.

I am definitely crossing my fingers for the non-U.S. box offices. Hopefully everyone else can make up for our lousy taste.

JediTricks
10-07-2005, 03:33 PM
but if I said Early and the Operative shared significant similarities, I would find it hard to defend the statement.Really? Both are out to track down River, both are unusually highly-skilled and efficient, both are remarkably self-aware, both are outside the main system, and let's face it, both are black men.

I'm certainly not surprised that the movie isn't breaking records, but I am surprised it's not doing better. I always figured it would mostly be the fans carrying its box office. I just figured there were a few more die-hard fans than 10 million worth, especially since so many of them dragged friends to it and saw it at least twice opening day.I don't think that many fans actually were able to drag their buddies to this movie, the marketing never was able to successfully get across the idea that you didn't need to see Firefly to enjoy the movie which is a big problem for general audience. The box office means that somewhere just over 1 million people saw the film on all of opening weekend, right? Keep in mind that Star Wars with its strong fanbase only sees about 100,000 of any popular action figure, that's Hasbro's big number (generally it's 50k for a normal run, 100k for a popular run, and Ep 1 figures got probably 150k which didn't go over too well) so the dedicated fandom isn't all that big, they did get in an outside audience. If anything, I think Universal should have distributed it to less than 500 theaters for opening weekend, then let word of mouth carry the film into larger release a la Star Wars - instead it's everywhere and there are no big lines at the theaters, the reason the line at the Grauman's Chinese was so long in '77 wasn't just that SW was great, it was only 1 of 32 theaters in the whole country showing the movie at the time.

I think the real blame lays with Universal for bumping the movie from April to September, they didn't need to do this at all, the movie was testing well back in December of '04 and didn't need extra finishing time apparently, so I feel they just got cold feet from seeing ROTS and Batman Begins in the summer and fearing their little movie wouldn't hold up (which I am very sure it would have, summer repeat viewings would have been guaranteed).

rbaumhauer
10-07-2005, 03:56 PM
so I feel they just got cold feet from seeing ROTS and Batman Begins in the summer and fearing their little movie wouldn't hold up (which I am very sure it would have, summer repeat viewings would have been guaranteed).

You got that right - I would love to have had a good sci-fi movie with compelling characters and relationships to ease the pain of my single ROTS viewing back in May ;)

Daz
10-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Just saw it tonight still trying to assimilate it but my initial thoughts are, good episode but its no "out of gas"

JediTricks
I don't think that many fans actually were able to drag their buddies to this movie

This film is in trouble if its countin on the big bucks from overseas for sequels if the cinema I was in was anything to go by, it was more or less empty bar me and about five others. Our numbers swelled to nine for a time when a group of girls arrived in and took up residence in the seats behind me, they lasted about half an hour before the ringleader and fan who had dragged them to see it got sick of explaining what the hell River was talking about and they upped stix and left not that I was particularly bothered as my seat was been kicked something fierce.

mrmiller
10-07-2005, 10:41 PM
For those who havent seen the it yet, but want to see the first 9 minuites of the movie, there is a site with the preview here:

http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Serenity/web/index.html

=MATT=

Phantom-like Menace
10-08-2005, 03:19 AM
Really? Both are out to track down River, both are unusually highly-skilled and efficient, both are remarkably self-aware, both are outside the main system, and let's face it, both are black men.

Aside from that last attribute, the Hands of Blue guys fom the series qualified for each of those. Early could quickly be labeled two things: a mercenary and a philosopher. I can only think of one easy label for the Operative: a zealot. He's certainly not mercenary. And while a philosopher is essentially seeking answers, a zealot's got all the answers--at least as far as he is concerned. Also, with Early, causing distress seemed to be an end more than a means. The Operative definitely caused distress only as a means.

I think the real blame lays with Universal for bumping the movie from April to September, they didn't need to do this at all, the movie was testing well back in December of '04 and didn't need extra finishing time apparently, so I feel they just got cold feet from seeing ROTS and Batman Begins in the summer and fearing their little movie wouldn't hold up (which I am very sure it would have, summer repeat viewings would have been guaranteed).

I'll agree completely with the need some people have to see a movie--any movie--to entertain themselves during the break from classes. I'll have to ask my friend how the movie did this weekend.

I was talking with my friend, the major Firefly fan I mentioned earlier in this thread, and he also brought up the fact that a lot of Firefly fans were immensely upset by the second death and swore off Firefly, even attempted to sway other people they knew from seeing it. Of course we thought this was kind of amusing, since we've been watching Buffy and Angel since the beginning, so we're well familiar with Whedon's penchant for killing beloved characters.

JediTricks
10-08-2005, 03:52 AM
I don't think the Hands of Blue guys were particularly efficient, and they didn't seem self-aware to me either.

I was upset by both deaths, but I wouldn't swear off the series, especially since Whedon seems to love killing off his main characters.

Hellboy
10-08-2005, 04:05 PM
I was upset by both deaths, but I wouldn't swear off the series, especially since Whedon seems to love killing off his main characters.

I can understand being upset that two of the crew died, I was bothered by it too, especially the second as that was my favorite crew member behind Mal. I am however glad there were casualties because without them these characters would seem invincible. Especially considering what they do for a living and the many dangers that exist in this 'verse. I think Whedon understands that in order to maintain a good sense of tension and realism the occasional death of a major player(s) is necessary in a setting such as this. The last thing I'd want is for this franchise to become another Star Trek where none of the main characters died unless the actor decided to leave the show and were killed off as a result. If Serenity/Firefly continues in some form I think it could prove to be very interesting to see how the crew handles these deaths and if they will decide to take on more members to replace them.

Phantom-like Menace
10-08-2005, 11:50 PM
If I could forgive Whedon for killing Fred on Angel, I could forgive him for killing anyone.

I've just heard from friends that it's possible the plan is to get a bare-bones DVD out for Serenity before Christmas. I don't know how certain that is, since they aren't fans. But it makes sense. Might as well go ahead and get those Christmas sales.

JediTricks
10-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Hellboy, I agree that it does make them seem vulnerable, and then Whedon played that note so hard with every character afterwards that it really became almost a gimmick, but I think the deaths should have weighed a little more heavily upon our surviving characters, we barely get any time for them to feel and then it's time for the big act 3 battles. Yeah, they have to do their job and hide their pain, but it really doesn't seem like they're hiding anything or dealing with anything under stressful conditions, they're just moving onto the next plotpoint.

I don't think the Hands of Blue guys were particularly efficient, and they didn't seem self-aware to me either.Oh yeah, and I forgot, they weren't lone-operators the way Early and the Operative were.

Daz
10-09-2005, 07:14 PM
JediTricks Hellboy, I agree that it does make them seem vulnerable, and then Whedon played that note so hard with every character afterwards that it really became almost a gimmick, but I think the deaths should have weighed a little more heavily upon our surviving characters, we barely get any time for them to feel and then it's time for the big act 3 battles. Yeah, they have to do their job and hide their pain, but it really doesn't seem like they're hiding anything or dealing with anything under stressful conditions, they're just moving onto the next plotpoint.

This post contains spoilers

I was annoyed more then saddened by the two character deaths, annoyed that I'll never have my suspicion confirmed that Book was actually the commander in charge of the Alliance forces in the battle for Serenity Valley, annoyed that the comic duties will have to be passed onto somone probably less capable then Alan Tudyk in any future Sequel/show, and deeply annoyed that they don't get a better more affecting Send off . I don't Know about anyone else but I had more of a lump in my throat when Mal 'n' Zoe's friend died in "the Message" then I did for Book 'n' Wash's where was the swelling music the solemn faces.

Phantom-like Menace
10-10-2005, 12:46 AM
JT, I was mostly being sarcastic with the Hands of Blue comment, giving you a hard time. Though if I can continue causing trouble, I wouldn't say the Operative was much of a loner. Two's company; three's a crowd; twenty is a tactical team.

Though our continued game of tag is quickly reminding me I haven't really sat down and watched the DVDs in a while.

Spoilers

That's an interesting theory on Book. I don't read too many Firefly message boards, so it doesn't mean much to say I haven't heard that one, and it could have been a cool way to go. It was almost criminal to kill Book off without explaining his backstory. The fact that people who have only watched the movie have no idea who Book is and that fans who haven't read the comic (including myself) have no idea why Book is on Haven bothered me.

JediTricks
10-10-2005, 04:51 AM
annoyed that I'll never have my suspicion confirmed that Book was actually the commander in charge of the Alliance forces in the battle for Serenity ValleyYeah, no payoff with Book was a bit of a mistake. There are so many routes they could have gone and didn't, not even hinting to it, another waste.

annoyed that the comic duties will have to be passed onto somone probably less capable then Alan Tudyk in any future Sequel/show, and deeply annoyed that they don't get a better more affecting Send offYeah, both of those annoy me as well. Wash was a really cool character who had just started to come into his own on the show, he was the glue between so many of the characters because he did have such a unique role - he wasn't the fighter or the strategist or the criminal or the ambassador, but without him none of our heroes could go anywhere.

I don't Know about anyone else but I had more of a lump in my throat when Mal 'n' Zoe's friend died in "the Message" then I did for Book 'n' Wash's where was the swelling music the solemn faces.Yeah, that death scene had far more weight to it because whatever we felt for the dead, we also were made to empathize with the survivors and in this movie we really weren't.

JT, I was mostly being sarcastic with the Hands of Blue comment, giving you a hard time. Though if I can continue causing trouble, I wouldn't say the Operative was much of a loner. Two's company; three's a crowd; twenty is a tactical team.You never can tell on the forums till someone's pulled up a revolver into yer back and pulled back the hammer. The operative was alone in pretty much all of his dealings, he may have given orders but he wasn't fighting alongside anybody else.

Hey, you guys want another frustration about the movie? When Jayne is getting ready for the final battle, he doesn't bring out Vera!

And now for some somber news, on its second weekend, Serenity slipped to 9th in the box office results, netting just under $5 mil. And so far, it's made a measily $1.10 mil overseas.

Phantom-like Menace
10-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the report. I've been curious what it's done since last week. All I'll say is the movie deserves better.

JediTricks
10-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Apparently, the actual numbers vs the projected were a little higher, so Serenity came in 8th with $5.4 mil.

Hellboy
10-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah, no payoff with Book was a bit of a mistake. There are so many routes they could have gone and didn't, not even hinting to it, another waste.

I really didn't see it that way at all. Sure we didn't get any expansion in the movie in this regard but I really didn't expect it either. If Book were to reveal his past I don't think it would fit here. IMO there was enough going on without adding another subplot that originated in the series and Mal's conversation with Book on Haven about his guarded past and his response that Mal and he really didn't need to discuss it was enough acknowledgment for me. It showed that Book wanted Mal to judge him as the man he is today not by his deeds in the past. I don't think we should expect to get the answers to every question the series created in a 2 hour film. Book's past could always be revealed after his death if we see the franchise return in some form.

I don't Know about anyone else but I had more of a lump in my throat when Mal 'n' Zoe's friend died in "the Message" then I did for Book 'n' Wash's where was the swelling music the solemn faces.

Well thats because that situation from the series permitted the crew to pause and reflect on what had just happened. In the film the crew doesn't have time to grieve for Book and especially Wash, they have to concentrate on surviving the situation at hand. Plus that scene in Firefly was filmed at a point in the series where everyone knew the show had been cancelled. The music was composed to achieve dramatic effect not only for that moment in the show's history but also as a sendoff by the show's composer. Wash's death happened in the heat of battle and that isn't the time to reflect on what has been lost and what that person meant.

I actually found it quite sad seeing Book's and Wash's name and face on those tombstones. I had no idea what their full names were either since I don't remember them ever being mentioned in the series and felt seeing them for the first time added a personal touch. The crew's lack of emotion or immediate grieving just shows how personal this loss was IMO. The finality of death especially when its the death of a loved one is a feeling so powerful sometimes the only way to deal with it is to move on and let it sink in over time because you can't quite wrap your mind around it. At least thats what I came away feeling as we saw the funeral and the closing shots.

I will admit Kaylee and Simon's sex conversation taking place almost right after the crew learns about Wash's fate seemed a bit out of place. I'm willing to overlook it though since people talking about the things they should have done in their lives when faced with death feels realistic.

Rocketboy
10-15-2005, 01:51 AM
After hearing how good Serenity is, I was diappointed.
Not surprised at all that the movie is failing.

It felt like a 2 hour tv show with a bigger budget.

Not having seen the show, some background would have been really nice. By the time I figured out what the heck was going on, I feel like I missed quite a bit.

Most of the characters were flatter than a Star Wars character.

The dead characters...who cares? There wasn't enough in the movie to make me care who they were and the deaths felt uneventful.

The chase with the Reavers early on was so friggin' s l o w. It felt like they were doing 25mph. They should have taken a cue from TPM's podrace and sped it up quite a bit.

After ROTS, the big space battle between the Alliance and the Reavers felt like it could have used some polish also.

it didn't use enough of the western elements of the showThat was waaaaay overdone, IMO. Where was the "Howdy partner!" or "YeeeeHaw!"?

And yet despite all my gripes, somehow I was still moderately entertained...once I figured out what was going on.

And I kept thinking that the girl that played River could easily play X23 if they were to giver her the big screen treatment. She looks quite a bit like her and she's got the moves to pull off the action.
Then again, it could be the character's backstory, since they have many similarities.

JediTricks
10-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Not having seen the show, some background would have been really nice. By the time I figured out what the heck was going on, I feel like I missed quite a bit.The first 5 minutes of the movie are basically solid exposition on these characters to the point of annoying some unfamiliar critics. I think the only background we didn't cover thoroughly was Inara/Mal and that was hinted at here and there.

Rocketboy
10-15-2005, 11:10 AM
All I gathered from the first few minutes was something about some war between inner and outer planets, breaking River out of a research facility, and the Serenity crew being thieves because there is no war anymore.

JediTricks
10-15-2005, 04:01 PM
See, I think that's why solid exposition really doesn't work, it carries such a weight in the plot that if it doesn't express itself fully the rest of the plot ends up unbalanced.

Rocketboy
10-15-2005, 11:50 PM
But if you don't know what these people are/were fighting for/against it makes it pretty hard to give a rat's *** about what they are doing during the movie.

JediTricks
10-16-2005, 03:52 PM
We are told in the film about the Alliance and how some folks don't like to be meddled with and they fought a civil war and lost and are now loners out on the frontier planets. As for the crew of Serenity, they start basically just out for themselves, looking for ways to get paid and keep moving, and by the end they end up fighting for the greater good to get the message out about the Alliance trying to control a population and instead killing most and creating a monster out of the rest. I thought the movie did a fair explanation of all that, although the early parts of that were mostly explained in the exposition opening.

Rocketboy
10-16-2005, 08:13 PM
We are told in the film about the Alliance and how some folks don't like to be meddled with and they fought a civil war and lost and are now loners out on the frontier planets. As for the crew of Serenity, they start basically just out for themselves, looking for ways to get paid and keep moving, and by the end they end up fighting for the greater good to get the message out about the Alliance trying to control a population and instead killing most and creating a monster out of the rest. I thought the movie did a fair explanation of all that, although the early parts of that were mostly explained in the exposition opening.True, but right after we are told this, it was shown to be part of the Alliance programming inside River's head, and they (the Alliance) are later shown to be the bad guys, so it wasn't clear whether or not to believe any it.

JediTricks
10-16-2005, 08:20 PM
I thought it was showing us a recording of what the Alliance doctors were seeing as they were putting her through a program, and that River was commenting and responding to the programming they were giving her which would make her parts "true", but I do see what you mean, it was confusing the way that was presented because it's not entirely clear what is and isn't the facade/bs.

2-1B
02-15-2006, 02:44 AM
I just got discs 1 and 2 of Firefly from Netflix but are the episodes out of order? Disc 1 appears to have episodes 1, 2, and 11 while disc 2 has episodes 3, 4, 6, 7. I'm confused, what's up with this? :confused:

Hellboy
02-15-2006, 03:29 AM
Hey Caesar nice to see you back. :D

FOX initially aired Firefly's episodes out of order and it sounds like Netflix has labled it in a way that reflects that. Kind of confusing but the box set put the episodes back into it's intended order so as long as you watch the series from disc 1 to disc 4 you'll be watching them in the order the were originally intended to be seen. Looking at my set the discs themselves don't have the episodes printed on them but each disc has it's own case with an episode breakdown so at least you'll know the order by title. Hope this helps.

Disc 1:
-Serenity Part 1
-Serenity Part 2
-The Train Job
-Bushwacked

Disc 2:
-Shindig
-Safe
-Our Mrs. Reynolds
-Jaynestown

Disc 3:
-Out of Gas
-Ariel
-War Stories
-Trash

Disc 4:
-The Message
-Heart of Gold
-Objects in Space

. . and in case you weren't aware Serenity the movie takes place after the events in the Firefly series. Enjoy. :)

2-1B
02-15-2006, 03:34 AM
Thanks Hellboy, well I already screwed up then. :crazed: It's not Netflix that screwed up, I was looking at a few websites that had them organized by air date which would explain the problem. Well, I started with The Train Job (the one with Tom Towles and also Lattimer from The Program) and I am just finishing up Bushwacked right now.

Oh well, I'll just watch the 2 part Serenity after this one and catch up.

Serenity the movie is on my queue right after disc 4, so I'll be all set there. :)

2-1B
02-24-2006, 12:28 AM
I finished Firefly last night and wow, what an amazing show. I can see why the fans were ticked when it got cancelled because this is just wonderful. Great cast all around, just fantastic. I love everything about this show with the odd exception of the title song which I find to be just horrible.

But really, other than that opening song I have nothing negative to say about this show, it is that solid. I have a bit of a schoolboy crush on Kaylee. :love:

When I log off here I will be watching Serenity and I am very much looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
02-24-2006, 12:35 AM
I finished Firefly last night and wow, what an amazing show. I can see why the fans were ticked when it got cancelled because this is just wonderful. Great cast all around, just fantastic.
Amen!

But really, other than that opening song I have nothing negative to say about this show, it is that solid. I have a bit of a schoolboy crush on Kaylee. :love:
"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I can not stand..." I don't mind the song, its kinda catchy. :D

Yea... I will agree with you on Kaylee! Amen again!

When I log off here I will be watching Serenity and I am very much looking forward to it. :thumbsup:
It is an excellent movie, one of the best of '05 in my opinion. Be sure to let us know your thoughts when you are done watching (of course you will).

Turbowars
02-25-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't know how on earth you guys liked this movie. I saw it last night and I was board out of my mind. To compare it to SW is just plan stupid.

2-1B
03-10-2006, 03:05 AM
Sorry, I forgot to come back and post my review of Serenity but I'll tell you that it was awesome, I loved it ! ! !

I do stand by my initial impression of the trailer though, in that it didn't interest me much before I saw Firefly. And had I NOT seen Firefly, I don't think I would have enjoyed the movie NEARLY as much. But that doesn't matter to me, because Firefly is an awesome show and Serenity was a great capper.

I didn't mind the reduced roles for Shep and Inara (sp?). Of course I love the characters so I would like more, but I was fine with the way they did it. We already knew Inara (sp?) was leaving the boat so that was cool that she was gone, and as for Shep, well, I didn't read the inbetween comic stuff but I could see how a guy like him would move on to help more people.

Wash's death was great, I was sad to see him go but I liked the bluntness of it, no drawn out death scene, just shock and move on for Zoe and the others.

The only thing that bugged me about the movie was that during the flashback of Simon busting out River, he was given too much information on what they were doing to her, way more than what the TV show showed him knowing early on. I guess they did that to brief the movie audience more briefly, or . . . ? :confused:

As for the propaganda intro, I thought it was fantastic and I loved how they showed things from the Alliance POV. lol

Sorry Wildcat but I still dislike the Firefly theme song. :crazed:

Hellboy
03-16-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't know how on earth you guys liked this movie. I saw it last night and I was board out of my mind. To compare it to SW is just plan stupid.

Did you watch the Firefly series Turbo? Like Caesar stated Serenity is much more enjoyable if you've watched the series first.

I wouldn't compare the series or the movie for that matter to SW though. The only similarity I see other than the fact it's a sci-fi movie would be that Serenity (the ship) has a similar feel to the Millennium Falcon which Joss Whedon admits to being fascinated with and was his main inspiration behind it's design.

Wash's death was great, I was sad to see him go but I liked the bluntness of it, no drawn out death scene, just shock and move on for Zoe and the others.

I agree, I thought it was handled well but I think the majority of fans wanted something more.

As far as the theme song goes I wasn't really fond of it either but it did grow on me after a while and it fit well with the western theme of the series.

Turbowars
03-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Did you watch the Firefly series Turbo? Like Caesar stated Serenity is much more enjoyable if you've watched the series first.

I wouldn't compare the series or the movie for that matter to SW though. The only similarity I see other than the fact it's a sci-fi movie would be that Serenity (the ship) has a similar feel to the Millennium Falcon which Joss Whedon admits to being fascinated with and was his main inspiration behind it's design.
No I didn't see the TV show. I did however feel like I was watching a low budget TV show when I saw Serenity. It reminded me of a film that goes straight to DVD. Maybe if I have time to waste I'll get the show from NetFlix, but I rather watch grass grow.:)

basschick
05-19-2006, 05:07 AM
i found the show a lot better - the action is better, some good effects, humor, personal development, etc. i was very disappointed in the movie which changed the relationships so they were no longer very engaging and seemed sort of like a remake of the last episode - only without the good stuff. oh, yeah - and dumped one of our main characters far away so that all he basically did was die :-/

hopefully you'll find the show even more interesting than watching your lawn :D

No I didn't see the TV show. I did however feel like I was watching a low budget TV show when I saw Serenity. It reminded me of a film that goes straight to DVD. Maybe if I have time to waste I'll get the show from NetFlix, but I rather watch grass grow.:)

Rocketboy
03-19-2007, 06:12 PM
The news is a couple of week sold but...2 Disc Special Edition of Serenity coming in July.
http://whedonesque.com/comments/12606#164745

Yes, fanlings, there is going to be a 2 disc 'Special Edition' released this summer. You know why? 'Cause the 1 disc 'Normal Edition' has sold so well -- so maybe a little self-back-patting is in order for you guys. Way to keep her in the air.

It's too early to be sure what the Special Edition will contain, but here are some things we're going for:

NEW KEY ART.

Cast commentary -- assuming I can get a decent number of them in one room. They're very busy people, I'm happy to say.

NEW KEY ART.

The region 4 goodies, obviously.

The Tam Sessions.

KEY NEW ART.

New Yub Yub, and Greedo shoots first. So does that kid outside the trading station, the pilot who destroyed Haven, and Kaylee. And Richard Dreyfuss goes INSIDE the mothership.

KEW RAT YEN.

An alternate ending, if you turn it off early.

Proof of the existence of a benevolent higher power -- uh, I mean, new key art.

Mice.

And honestly, what more do you want? Don't answer that, I already know and it's unseemly. But I'm pretty excited here. Back to work, -j.

Take my Yub,
Take Yub Yub,
Yub Yub tak the Yub from Meee...dichlorians.... joss (http://whedonesque.com/user/13) | March 02, 00:00 CET (http://whedonesque.com/comments/12606#164745)

UKWildcat
03-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I'll definitely be double-dipping on this one. :yes: :thumbsup:

I'm still long over due for a Firefly marathon capped with a viewing of Serenity. :( Maybe one day.......

Rocketboy
03-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm still long over due for a Firefly marathon capped with a viewing of Serenity. :( Maybe one day.......I was thinking the same thing just the other day.
At this point it sounds like it would be a much better time than a Star Wars marathon.

Phantom-like Menace
03-20-2007, 11:31 PM
This news would come out only a couple weeks after I purchased the regular version. Oh well, serves me for waiting so long on such an awesome movie.

Rocketboy
03-20-2007, 11:45 PM
I waited for a while before I bought Serenity also (that was a while ago now).
A few short days after I bought it the price dropped from $20 to $15.

Ah well, it was worth it.

2-1B
03-21-2007, 07:23 PM
It would be more worth it if they clean up that issue with Simon and his investigation of River's captivity from show to movie.

Blue2th
03-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Well that's good news. Haven't bought Serenity yet. I'll definitely buy this Special Edition instead. Still haven't found the time to open up the Firefly 4-Disc box set I bought at Target for 19.99. Then I too will do the Firefly marathon.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Artwork revealed! I had to shrink the image a bit, but it still looks very tasty!

Specs:
- Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Director Joss Whedon
- Extended Scenes
- Outtakes
- Take a Walk on Serenity
- The Green Clan
- Joss Whedon Intro
- We'll Have a Fruity Oaty Good Time!
- Feature Commentary with Director Joss Whedon and Cast Members Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau and Ron Glass
- Feature Commenary with Director Joss Whedon
- A Filmmaker's Journey
- Future History - The Story of Earth That Was
- Re-lighting the Firefly
- What's In a Firefly?
- Session 416
- Sci-Fi Inside: Serenity

It was pushed back to August 21st, which is a bummer, but i'm still pumped! :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
05-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Nice! Can't wait!

:thumbsup:

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 05:49 AM
A week before my birthday? I know what I'm getting! :thumbsup: I'm glad I waited, I could feel the first one wasn't "the one".

UKWildcat
05-16-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm really looking forward to this one too. I was going to sell the first Serenity dvd release to DVDPlanet (that's where I pawn all of the dvds I don't want ,and get store credit), but they were only going to give me 10 cents. :eek: I take it, everyone had the same idea and sold all of their copies (usually they pay much more than that). So I'll keep both copies, at first anyways. :p

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 05:58 PM
10 cents? What the hell? The raw material is worth more than that!

Rocketboy
05-23-2007, 12:42 AM
DVDactive (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/serenity5.html) has a look at the menus which also gives us a look at the special features and titles of the deleted scenes.

Rocketboy
06-14-2007, 11:45 PM
What's this?
A new, faint glimmer of hope!

Universal HD Channel Schedules Firefly and opens Firefly Fan Boards
Saturday, June 09 2007 @ 11:20 AM PDT
Contributed by: Cordrone
Views: 0
Serenity NewsFirefly hits the television airwaves once again, this time on the Universal HD Channel.

Starting in July the Universal HD Channel is going to start airing Firefly again on Saturday nights but that's not all. They have also created a Firefly fan forum for Browncoats to "misbehave" in.

Universal Admins are asking opinions, responding to users, posting Firefly photo galleries, and otherwise supporting these forums in what appears to be an attempt by the studio to gage the viability of possibly funding another Firefly or Serenity project.

Serenity is worth fighting for. Support Firefly and Serenity on the Universal HD Firefly Boards! http://boards.nbcuni.com/universalHD/index.php?showforum=4
Join, Post, and be Shiny! http://www.fireflyfans.net/thread.asp?b=2&t=29132&newsid=0

UKWildcat
06-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Sounds good to me!

Universal HD has actually played Firefly episodes in the past, about 5 or 6 months ago, possibly before that too. I used to watch random episodes every now and then. The picture quality is outstanding, the transfers look really good. I've been meaning to revisit this series in full for some time now, as many of you know ;), but haven't got around to it; I'll definitely try and take down the complete series when it airs again on the Univ. HD channel though. I'm a fan of this series so it goes without saying, I'd love to see another season(s) of Firefly.:thumbsup:

Blue2th
06-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Finally watched the whole "Firefly" series. Now I get the story line. I had to rent the "Serenity" movie to refresh my memory of it, and how it ties in. I am definitely more so of a fan now.
I need to get the Serenity ship ornament, and the upcoming "Reaver" version of it.

Val Da Car
06-23-2007, 09:27 PM
My wife bought Firefly and wanted to catch missed eps from Universal HD and she FINALLY got to the Serenity movie.

I had just replaced the 18 gauge spr wire with 12 gauge.

During the landing on Mr. Universe's planet the neighbor across the street (and three houses over) called and asked what movie were we watching.

I missed the message she left but she did imitate the ReaVer's weapons fire pretty well.

My wife loved it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Just a reminder that the SERENITY: COLLECTORS EDITION came out today! I got mine at Best Buy for 17.99 and it came with a free comic. Of course, this means i'll have to find time for a FIREFLY marathon and then the movie. Perhaps in a few weeks or so? anyway, happy viewage! :thumbsup:

Blue2th
08-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the reminder. "I'm a leaf on the wind" and I'm gonna go get that today. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
08-21-2007, 03:12 PM
I'll have to wait until this Friday.
I'd already have the Big Damn Collectors Edition if I had actually gotten paid for my vacation back on Friday.
Stupid corporation computer "glitches."

JediTricks
08-21-2007, 07:51 PM
I had no idea, gotta track that down.