PDA

View Full Version : Of all the prequels, from which did you buy the most collectibles?

JediTricks
06-06-2005, 08:59 PM
In the past 6 years, we've had an onslaught of collectibles from all 3 prequel movies, not just toys but also model kits, underwear, statues, even window blinds, the Star Wars prequels have been nearly everywhere and ranging from the cheapest throw-away kids meal toy to unbelievably expensive and rare display pieces.

In 1999 with Episode I - The Phantom Menace we had what some consider to be the very definition of collectible overkill, you couldn't turn around without seeing Star Wars. There was even a massive tie-in with not 1 but 3 national fast food chains.

By 2002, Lucas had toned down the merchandising onslaught with Episode II - Attack of the Clones, and while there was still plenty to be had, some collectors voiced their displeasure in the film's lower collectible volume.

Here in 2005 with the release of Episode III - Revenge of the Sith comes another big wave of collectibles like that from Ep 1, for months now Star Wars has shown its face on all manner of items, and to some it feels like in its short time so far the movie's collectibility has actually been bigger than either previous prequel.

So from which prequel did you buy the most collectibles?

scruffziller
06-06-2005, 09:10 PM
EPS I. Just by coincidence this is the case because, I simply stopped collecting before EPS 2 came out.

Hellboy
06-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Without a doubt I've spent the most on Ep 3 toys. Mostly due to the abundance of army builders in the basic figure assortment.

I was pretty selective with my Ep 1 and Ep 2 purchases. Overall I wasn't very impressed with the vehicles in the Ep 1 line and with Ep 2 it was the pre-posed/gimmicky figures in the basic line that turned me off.

Bossk77
06-06-2005, 09:58 PM
I worked at TRU at the time EP 1 came out so i picked up one of everything at discount. Even got to take the props home since i put them together. :) Great deal... but ep 2 all i got was one of the Wall Scroll hangings since i quit 5 months prior.

bobafrett
06-06-2005, 10:20 PM
I was a bit disappointed in EPI so I didn't buy a whole lot of items, outside the figures, and the same can be said with Episode II, but I liked it enough to pick up a few more goodies, but even before seeing EPIII, I bought and bought, and continue to buy stuff. Final Answer: EPIII.

DarthQuack
06-06-2005, 10:22 PM
I have a pretty steady collection of figures from all three movies, not sure what I have more of.

Bacta Beast
06-06-2005, 10:28 PM
I would guess Phantom Menace because I think they had more product available.

James Boba Fettfield
06-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Hmm...Episode 1 is my guess. I was still heavy into collecting one of every figure, so that really sends the tally above the other two films. Oh yeah, and those Pepsi product cans. Went through cases of that stuff to get a complete set. I even have a Darth Maul pencil case.

Yeah, Episode 1.

Kidhuman
06-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Episode 2 right now. I am sure once the same time has elapsed it will be Ep. 3. Not nearly enough time has gone by for E3 to be tops yet.

LusiferSam
06-07-2005, 01:04 AM
I've bought next to nothing for ROTS, so that one is easy to strike out. Thinking just in terms of Hasbro stuff (which is the bulk any way) I bought all of the Ep1 lines items I wanted. Plus all but one of the POTJ items I wanted, plus couple of Saga items that were TPM based. All AOTC items I would have gotten were Saga and I gave that up in '03. So with that info, my best guess is TPM wins.

2-1B
06-07-2005, 01:42 AM
Hard to say.

I'm still working on Episode 2.
Yesterday at Family Dollar I scooped up 3 different lenticular boxes of Curad bandages from AOTC. lol

JediTricks
06-07-2005, 02:07 AM
I certainly went WAAAAY overboard with Ep 1, I have so much TPM stuff around here I couldn't get rid of it all if I tried, I recently came across one of those Pizza Hut mini-globes with the wind-up action scene of Darth Maul and Qui-Gon moving side to side, just like in the movie! :confused: Ep 1 taught me to slow down and not get sucked into hype and excitement just because it's "new" (I saw the film almost a dozen times in the theater too) and I even picked up more when it all went on clearance (a few surprises in there actually), but that lesson came with a second price, I ended up missing out on some AOTC oddball stuff I actually ended up wanting like the reference books (the first lesson being the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS I BLEW ON TPM STUFF! ;)).

bats1990
06-07-2005, 07:39 AM
I was very selective about my episode 1 and 2 purchases. Since then I now have two boys and I feel the toys this time around have been made better and mpre interesting. Let alone that fact that everything is very accessible. So for me I have purchased episode 3 the most.

waboritas
06-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Probably Episode I. I only by the Hasbro stuff (figs., vehicles and playsets). I bought and bought and didn't stop. EII was a little misleading because of the Saga line, but even still at this point it is second. I am being very selective on Ep. III. I don't want or feel I need everything. I plan on buying all Jedi starfighters when I can get them on sale, Mustafar playset. Who knows what I'll do when things go on clearance, but space is a problem.

DarkArtist
06-07-2005, 07:58 AM
I would have to say the most spent was on TPM. At the time anything that had the star wars label was bought and since this was to be the return of the saga i thought this was the right time to start collecting merchandise to celebrate the return of star wars.
for AOTC i still bought a ton of stuff but now I was getting away from buying the lego and large ships and playsets just focusing on getting all the figures. Still don't have the republic gunship or arena playset and with the exception of the two speeders i really only bought the figures.
for ROTS i have given up on the lego entirely and have only bought the small vehicle assortments, AT-RT and Barc Speeder.
My main goal is to one day have every star wars figure ever made, loose, complete, and on display for all to see. currently i am working on a display case that will have lights, sounds, dialogue and music as well as a few moving parts. One part that will move will be for the Vader on medical table. I think it will be cool to just push a button and watch the end of ROTS come alive in action figure form :)

xwing_5
06-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Building a display case huh? I am trying to do the same thing. I would like to see what you come up with. I am having a hard time deciding what I want to display and what I do not want to display, not to mention the problem with space. Are you going to build the display from scratch or will it be pre-fabricated and modified? Where are you getting your supplies for the display case? Do you know any websites or stores that sell at reasonable prices? This might not be the right thread for these questions so I am sorry if anyone is annoyed by these questions but I am really interested in display cases and how to find the materials.

megaprime33
06-07-2005, 08:52 AM
You know I voted for AOTC because I bought more figures from there, but when I actually thought about it, I have more revenge of the sith products. It is the better of the 3.

Ryno
06-07-2005, 09:30 AM
I got more TPM stuff just because it was out there. My first college apartment was pretty all TPM with throw pillows, comforters (which I used as couch covers), posters, life-size stand-ups and toys, toys and more toys set-up all over the place. Thank god I had girlfriend before that movie came out because I think anyone who stepped foot into that place would have run screaming. :crazed:

It's funny, because even though I knew that movie was crap, I couldn't stop buying anything with SW on it. I was just so happy to have it back.

TreeNinja61992
06-07-2005, 09:30 AM
EpisodeII, I bought so many from I & II that I'm only buying the coolest collectibles because my room is almost over run by StarWars merchandise.

CaptainSolo1138
06-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Easily Episode I. I was nineteen, single, and living at home in 1999, so I had all kinds of cash to burn on Star Wars stuff. I thought nothing of dropping $300 on toys then. What was I thinking?!?!? I even bought Sio Bibble. When no one had any idea of how rare it would be. That's pretty bad.....

dxdave
06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Which did I buy the most of? Hmmm...well, I pretty much spoiled myself for each movie, although, I'd have to say I have spent more with Ep. III.

I was disappointed with Ep. I merchandising. Could have been more items (outside of figures, candies, and fast food toys) like the Gentle Giant Busts---who DOESN'T want a Qui Gon??? I'm not afraid to say it; I would like a Jar Jar and a Boss Nass bust, too!

As far as Ep. II, I did go a little wild with army building and my collection expanded with the other newer licenses.

Finally, Ep. III is upon is, and the gloves are off! I've bought anything that has Star Wars printed on it or resembles Star Wars.....I have the collector's disease (one in package, one out) and my house tends to become smaller and smaller.

ANSWER: EPISODE III (with intent to buy anything else from the other movies!)

Tonywankenobi
06-07-2005, 11:01 AM
I would have to say TPM and ROTS are the two that I have bought the most for. AOTC was nice but then there was what I call the rehash line. TPM edges out ROTS for now. When it first came out I got everything I could and if you all remember there was more to buy than any of the other two movies. So my final answer is "THE PHANTOM MENACE"

skeeziks22
06-07-2005, 11:23 AM
By the time TPM came out I was already set on ONLY collecting 3 3/4" figures... remember that we had some star wars stuff in stores since '95 so i got the "buy everythign Star Wars" attitude out of my system before EI.

That attitude stuck through EII, but Revenge is the last movie! How can I pass up a box of cereal with yoda on it? Or another with Chewbacca, or Star wars fruit snacks, Star wars M&Ms (especially the dark chocolate peanut!!!), Burger King Toys, Cheetos, Doritos, pop-tarts, Pez... not to mention the 3 3/4" figures i never gave up on.

There are plenty of things i wish they would make in adult sizes like shoes, boxer shorts, women's underwear (not for me by the way lol ) and a few other things.

So, Revenge is my largest bank breaker of all... but it could be larger if only...

Astromech
06-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Definitely ROTS.
Before that I bought mostly ANH & ESB with a few EP1 & EP2 figures here and there.

I'm a big collector of anything Fett, Vader, or Imperial.

trandoshan666
06-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Definitely TPM. There was so much stuff available, and it seems like I bought at least two of everything. It was clearly overkill, but the whole thing was such a huge event that I couldn't beg off of any of it. I've since learned restraint

decadentdave
06-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Revenge of the Sith

I'm still in the dog house from April 2. I dropped 3 g's the first day and in the last month I've spent over 2 g's so to date I've dropped over 5 g's and I still have Master Replicas on pre-order! Just spent $700 on the european bus stop posters and $500 on that giant Toys R Us display this week!

I'm broke as a mofo! Oh well, I'm retiring from collecting after this.

jedi master sal
06-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Hmmm, I seem to be in the smallest minority here.

I have to say AOTC. (I have 483 AOTC style Clone troopers alone).

Though My ROTS collection will probably eclipse the AOTC. I already have over 100 ROTS clones (Between #6, 41) not to mention the dozen of so Commanders, 15 Clone Pilots, Deluxe sets and those three packs...

So for now I have to say AOTC, but know that ROTS will overtake it eventually.

Heck, I need at least 100 Clonetroopers from each major offensive seen in the movie:
Utapau (Orange clones)
Kashyyk (Camo Scout clones)
Jedi Temple Assualt (Blue clones)

plus the smattering of:
Shocktroopers (Palpatine's Red Senate clones-not the royal guards)
Various commanders
More White clones
"Snow" clones as seen on Mygeeto (death of Ki-Adi Mundi)

etc...

Ji'dai
06-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Episode I.

Although I'd already stopped being a completist during the POTF2 heydays, I still tried to collect all 3-3/4" stuff, focusing mainly on the figures. Still, I did wait until clearance time to buy TPM vehicles and playsets. I didn't enjoy the film; and I was left feeling apathetic about collecting prequel stuff. I still bought a lot of crap, so I think my collecting habits continued mainly due to established momentum.

I did like Episode II a little better but by this time I had grown less enthusiastic about collecting any prequel product. I passed on nearly all Episode 2 and 2.5 (Clone Wars) deluxe, vehicles, and the Arena playset.

With ROTS, I've only concentrated on army builders, new characters, and villains, plus the occasional figure that happens to catch my eye. I may wait a year or two and buy someone's collection on eBay, or see what I can pick up on clearance.

I've grown tired collecting Star Wars figures so I may just quit and focus on my favorite LEGO themes instead.

Slicker
06-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Episode I by and large. I bought nearly everything with the Episode I logo on it. I bought nearly every magazine, all action figures, vehicles, beast packs, all of the premium toys from KenTacoHut, and I even taped all of the trailers as they were shown on TV (I didn't have a comp. back then).

Mandalorian Candidat
06-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Without a doubt EP1. I have more from just the Hasbro line from that movie than total AOTC+ROTS items. I went totally nuts went it came out and bought pretty much every Hasbro item available outside of the lame Deluxe figures and Ani's podracer. To date it's still my favorite out of all the lines produced by Hasbro. I was rummaging through some boxes in my collection last night and came across a KFC EP1 kid's meal box that I still have in pristine condition. I realized that it was already six years old.

Hell, I still even have a bottle of Queen Amidala EP1 lotion in the bathroom cabinet.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Without a doubt it was Episode I, simply because of the flood of merchandise that came out. While the number of figures I bought for Episode I was lighter compared to AOTC, there was so much out there in other products, that one found it hard to keep up. I have a complete set of all 12 Tri con Cup Toppers, plus the 30 or so toys total that Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut offered. Micro Machines and Action Fleet had their lines going with a fair number of products to get their hands on. The figures (which were crap) kept me busy, especially finding that elusive Jedi Duel Maul and others. Even the little products like stickers, erasers, and cards were so cute in a way, that I couldn't pass up on a lot of those.

VaderhitsJarjar
06-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Ill Probably End Up Buying More Figures From Rots But I Was All Over The Place For Episode I
Taco Bell, Kfc, Tru, Pepsi Cans, Magazine Covers, Posters.

I Was Addicted.

For Aotc I Was Burned Out Cause I'd Bought A Ton Of Episode I Stuff On Clearance, E.g. Queen's Starship Playset 19.99 At Tru. I Hated Yes Hated Most Of The Action Gimmicks And Poses On The Aotc Stuff - And I Could Never Find The Clone Pilot

I Just Wasnt In The Zone. I Passed On Most Of The Clone War Stuff But Did But Find Quite A Bit Of The Figures On Clearance - All I Need Is A Kit Fisto And A Tank.

So Far I've Bought More Figures This Time Around With Rots But Much Less Of The Extras - Only A Couple Of The Bk Toys.

Tycho
06-09-2005, 03:05 PM
I bought the most from Phantom Menace.

It really came down to army builders:

Battle Droids - I purchased a ton when they went on clearance for $1.99 as well as in the initial sale of them from Midnite Madness on. I had tons of extras I've finally completed using between my AOTC and ROTS scenes.

Gungan Warriors - to do the Battle of Naboo - again I bought something like 32 or more of these guys. Oh - and then some to populate Otah Gunga which I one day hope to construct.

Naboo Royal Security / Naboo Royal Guards - as hard to find as the latter (helmeted guys) were, I secured 35 of them, and I'm sure I have more of the more-common Security Troops - all for my huge Battle of Theed I one day plan to build.

With Obi-Wan and Anakin, I averaged between 20-30 figures of each of them, often new sculpts and variants, to do all the scenes I had them in, so main characters didn't really matter that much.

For AOTC......

Sneak Peak Clone Troopers - the green card guys, I took in 25 of them.

Clone 3-packs - I had about 12 of those with differing paint styles. I'm incorporating them in to ROTS scenes since there were surely old units still in operation 3 years later - and it saves money.

SA Clones - I went wild buying like 40+ of them on the CW cards because I shopped with a single-mindedness obsession!

Super Battle Droids - I probably got around 40 of those. I had maybe a dozen more than I needed that were easily absorbed into ROTS scenes.

Tusken Raiders - they still were small tribes, so I didn't go crazy.

Geonosians - I don't think I needed more than 15 - 20 tops.

ROTS

Well - we're not really over with that yet.

Clones? Between #6 and #41, I'm sure I have 30 or more, but I'm holding back, waiting for specific types like Snow-Clones, 501st Blues, Cody's men, Palpatine's shock troopers, etc. Still, there's no way I could top the fact that from E1 on, I had battle droids to use in my scenes for 3 whole movies!

Senate Guards? - I did get a lot of them, probably 8-10 reds, and 14 blues. The idea I had was to show the Senate under Palpatine's Empire as having armed guards in every Senate pod - uh...just as a precaution (he says).

Wookiees? Probably just over 20. I'm using Yarua, different sculpts of Chewie like the VOTC that you can remove the bandolier from, etc. - so they're not all actual E3 products, though I bought them to be such.

Ships show a different pattern:

I bought

5 N-1's
2 Royal Starships
3 AAT tanks
6 Droid Fighter sets
10 or more Kaadus
1 Jabba the Hutt
1 Opee Sea Killer
1 Flash Speeder
2 Darth Maul Sith Speeders
4 Theed Hanger Playsets
1 Theed Generator Playset
2 Anakin Podracers
2 Sebulba Podracers

versus

3 Anakin airspeeders
2 Zam airspeeders
2 Jedi Starfighters
4 Republic Gunships
2 Jango-Slave-One's
2 Geonosian Starfighters (CW)
1 Hailfire Droid
2 patrol spider droids
1 Dooku Speeder
1 Owen Lars speeder (w. Anakin)
2 Acklays
2 Nexus
2 Reeks
2 Geonosian Arena Playsets (will be upping that to 4)

For ROTS:

3 Tri-Fighter Droid ships
1 Anakin Jedi Starfighter
1 Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter
1 ARC-170 Clone Fighter
1 Mustafar Playset
1 Crap Droid
2 BARC Speeders
1 Stass Allie Speeder
1 AT-RT
2 Bogas
1 patrol spider droid
5 Vulcher Droid Fighters
1 Grievous Wheelbike
1 Republic Gunship

I don't know. My lunch is ready. I can smell it. I have no idea what my vehicle buying pattern means at this moment. I just know I'm hungry!

JediTricks
06-10-2005, 05:46 PM
It kinda feels like they've hit nearly every ROTS nail on the head at this point, not counting the endless clone trooper paint variations. Also, it seems like for non-Hasbro merchandise, ROTS feels "done" to me, like we've seen pretty much everything except Master Replicas who does their stuff in a steady pace and Gentle Giant who is the same way.

Tycho
06-10-2005, 07:24 PM
It kinda feels like they've hit nearly every ROTS nail on the head at this point, not counting the endless clone trooper paint variations. Also, it seems like for non-Hasbro merchandise, ROTS feels "done" to me, like we've seen pretty much everything except Master Replicas who does their stuff in a steady pace and Gentle Giant who is the same way.

Hasbro did a great job of getting the stuff we'd want the most done first.

However, we did come up with our Top 20 ROTS figure "want list" here on our site - which to the credit of JT's point did include 8 Clones amongst the rest.

There are still vehicles like the V-wing, Padme's ship, Grievous', the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid, the Commerce Guild's Gunships, etc that we have yet to see be made. The Turbo Tank and AT-TE (the latter sort of an AOTC project) would be great bonuses as well!

While these things could be done as part of a new "saga collection" now that the 6 episodes are complete, a few more wrapped in ROTS packaging would be nice for all of us who either a) want it now or b) collect that packaging.I have a friend that collects only ROTS stuff since he liked the movie, my collection, but can't afford too large of hobby. So he limited it by that criteria.

DarthAngel
06-12-2005, 12:43 AM
While I spent more on Episode 1 and Episode 2 figures, and vehicles and light sabers (due to TRU somewhat high prices during MM and scalpers getting the figures that were packed 1 per every case), I actually got more for Episode 3, and paid almost as much at Wal-mart as I did at TRU...ironic, isn't it.

Rocketboy
06-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Episode I definitely.
I was on a Star Wars high that couldn't be contained.
If it had Star Wars on it, I bought it or wanted it.

I learned my lesson and scaled way back for AOTC, and have very little from ROTS (just 1 Vader figure, Darth Tater, the "Art of" book, and some BK toys).