PDA

View Full Version : Coldplay's "X&Y"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-07-2005, 01:39 AM
I was able to get this CD today and i must say from what i've had the time to listen to (the first 6 or 7 tracks, roughly) it is another fantastic outing by them crazy Brits. I love Martin's voice and the use of organs, keys, and strings just blows me away and are things I love about Coldplay. The lyrics are the typical coldplay grounds: love, lose, life and whatnot. This is definately a "must have" for the fans. I think my fave tracks right now are "Fix you" and the bonus track entitled, "Til Kingdom come" which is labeled as "+" on my WMP and Jukebox.

Is it as good as "Parachutes" and "Rush of Blood to the Head?" I don't yet know. I love the 'Chutes due to the fact its the debut and it has a lot of great tracks. As for "Blood", i dunno. As far as i'm concerned, all of the tunes these guys put are quality. Go get it! :D

2-1B
06-07-2005, 02:39 AM
does Apple do a guest spot on the record ?

Hellboy
06-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Just picked it up a few hours ago and I've listened to it once straight through. I absolutely love it, brilliant. Can't really pick a favorite song yet, I'll need to listen to the CD in it's entirety a few more times first but X&Y definitely doesn't disappoint.

BTW, if you purchase the CD from Target it includes a coupon code that allows you to download an exclusive bonus track. I can't say whether or not any other retailers are offering something similar but considering the CD was only $9.98 at Target I'd say buy it there if you have the option. :)

El Chuxter
06-07-2005, 12:09 PM
I've noticed Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Target all have exclusive tracks. I don't mind exclusives, but it's really damned annoying when each store has a different one. Since no one's going to buy multiple copies of an album, the record company is basically encouraging bootlegging.

Hellboy
06-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Guyute, I'm assuming you got your CD at Wal-Mart since you have the "Til Kingdom Come" track? I haven't heard that yet. The Target exclusive track is "Animals" but I haven't been able to listen to it yet even after downloading it. :( For some reason I can't get the license application thats required before being able to play the download to go through, very frustrating.

I totally agree with your comments Chux about these exclusive tracks, what an annoyance. I would certianly like all of their tracks but I'm definitely not going to buy one album from each store for one extra song, lame. :p

After listening to X&Y all day yesterday while working and most of today I think I've established which songs are my personal favorites. The first two songs on the album "Square One" and "What If" are just amazing tunes. The whole album is truly great but those two songs are some of my favorites ever from this band, especially "What If."

El Chuxter
06-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I picked this up and love it. It's a great album; one of the best I've heard in a long time.

However, I have to be honest and say it's the second best new album I picked up yesterday. The White Stripes' Get Behind Me Satan whomps this one by a long shot.

Bantha274
06-08-2005, 06:43 PM
I don't care for them. They just seem like a "2000's" copy of Radiohead or Oasis, two bands I never really liked at all.

But I'm a metalhead, so that's to be expected.

arctangent
06-10-2005, 06:46 AM
crazy brits? jesus wept! coldplay are the most anodyne, boring, grey, passionless, moaning bunch of tossers ever to emerge from these shores. no offense to those of you who like them but you guys in america are welcome to them.

and as for chris martin moaning about emi and its shareholders being 'parasites' just who does he think it has been that has ensured that via their marketting, distribution and knowledge he and his bunch of 'merry men' have become multi-millionaires. if he hates it all that much he should remove his band from those wicked people at emi, set up his own record label, run it, manage the band, book the tours, produce the cd's and merchandising and do the promotion and pr himself, somewhat akin to how fugazi work.

but its all empty words, rather like their music - there is a distinct lack of balls.

anyone wanting to heart a really good british band should check out Block Party.

Devo
06-10-2005, 04:44 PM
I like all 3 of their albums so far. As with all bands its a matter of opinion - but especially, it seems, in the cases of Coldplay and Keane - you're either among those who love them or those who hate them. Their music is often more melody than rock which just happens to suit me fine. Personally I wouldn't be bothered with anything I can't hum.