PDA

View Full Version : Revisionist Solution!

stillakid
01-12-2002, 03:58 AM
There seem to be quite a fair number of fans out there who could be described as pro-revisionist for the Star Wars saga. That is to say, you feel that the prequels are Mr. Lucas's baby and that anything goes regardless of the continuity problems it sets up for the Original Trilogy.

It seems apparent that GL will have to (and most likely plans to) significantly alter the original trilogy for the DVD release to plug those holes.

It then occurred to me that maybe with the Internet age, perhaps GL could forgo releasing any of the films for individual purchase and instead offer a subscription service where you could watch a streaming internet version whenever you wanted. This would leave GL the freedom to alter whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted without the annoyance of fans looking back at past versions to see what the problems are. That would be true artistic control ad infinitum. After all, it's George's movie and he should be able to do anything he wants to it forever and ever and ever....:)

derek
01-12-2002, 10:28 AM
if the past is any indication, the dvd's will be released in numerous incarnations. and we'll buy them all.:)

bigbarada
01-12-2002, 01:11 PM
The problem being that, whether we like it or not, GL will most likely alter the OT to suit the prequels. We can complain all we like, justly or not it will still fall on deaf ears. There is nothing we can do, aside from boycott the series, other than just grit our teeth and hope that the end result is at least something we can live with.

Obi-Don
01-13-2002, 04:43 AM
BigB I think you are right. But no matter what GL does the Star Wars I know will always be the best. I guess I live in my own little universe when it comes to SW.

JediTricks
01-13-2002, 10:09 AM
This is exactly why I wish someone would slap Lucas and force him to make DVD versions of the classic trilogy that are NOT "special edition" in any way. Let the crazy revisionism DVDs have the features if they must, but the non-monkeyed-with versions should be out there some more, my THX copies are great, but they won't be for ever.

Jedi Clint
01-13-2002, 05:28 PM
If my track record on asking questions in the general forum is any indication, I will probably answer this myself before anyone else has the chance to....but......

Has anyone ever checked to see if there is an organization that transfers VHS to DVD and if so, how much it costs? I suppose the legality of the situation also matters. I can think of many entertaining moments I own on magnetic media, that will degrade into non-existence sooner rather than later (the original versions ofepisodes 4 - 6 of the Star Wars saga, my full 36 episode collection of the animated "Tick", etc). Were the original 3 ever released on Laser Disc? If so perhaps it would be easier to transfer them from that media onto DVD. Oh well.......off to answer my own questions. If (and probably when) i find the answers I will return to post them here.....unless someone beats me to it!! :D

2-1B
01-13-2002, 05:36 PM
Clint, I almost certain that the trilogy was released on Laserdisc.

VHS to DVD? It appears that there will be (if not already) the capability of copying VHS in a digital format. It could then be burned onto a DVDR.

I am anxious as well, since I have many VHS archives that need preserving. :)

Jedi Clint
01-13-2002, 05:55 PM
Thanks Caesar ! I did find a link to someone who owns the Laser Disc version, so it does exist:

http://www.8mm16mmfilmscollectibles.com/laser_discs.htm

I think that would be the way to go. Laser Disc would probably produce a superior copy. I must admit, I am not up on my DVD format news. Can one now buy recordable media the equivalent of a movie standard DVD? I am currently looking for information on Laser Disc to DVD transference.

Jedi Clint
01-13-2002, 07:45 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1405076810

Found these on Ebay. No idea whether they are original or SE. There seemed to be many of them though. Still looking for solutions to VHS degradation issue.

bigbarada
01-13-2002, 08:02 PM
Those sets come in both non-SE and SE. My brother has ANH and ROTJ and they are the non-SE versions. If the seller doesn't specify which one it is in the item description then just e-mail him before you bid.

These sets saw wide release overseas so there should be plenty to choose from. Just don't get stuck with the VCD versions.

stillakid
01-13-2002, 08:04 PM
As you already guessed, no company can burn copyrighted material for you.

Currently there are two (that I know of) affordable home DVD burners available, Pioneer and HP.

http://www.pioneer-america.com/Pioneer/CDA/CompanyOverview/PressDetails/0,1479,21359,00.html

http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/0-12425-311-6913998-0.html?tag=pop

As far as I know, they provide hardware only for that price. DVD authoring software is available but I don't know for how much. The software would enable you to create chapters and such.

Once the technology improves a bit more and the price drops, I intend on burning the classic and special edition versions of the original trilogy because I don't believe that there is a chance in hell that Lucasfilm will ever do it for us.

It would also give us the rudimentary opportunity to edit TPM into something watchable that kinda doesn't conflict with the OT.

Plus, I've got all this home video footage that will be worthless in 10 years. Gotta keep format hopping to keep it all viewable. Shoulda used Super 8 (that's film, for the kids here).
;)

stillakid
01-13-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1405076810

Found these on Ebay. No idea whether they are original or SE. There seemed to be many of them though. Still looking for solutions to VHS degradation issue.

Any idea if these are homemade or some kind of foreign release?

Jedi Clint
01-13-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Those sets come in both non-SE and SE. My brother has ANH and ROTJ and they are the non-SE versions. If the seller doesn't specify which one it is in the item description then just e-mail him before you bid.

These sets saw wide release overseas so there should be plenty to choose from. Just don't get stuck with the VCD versions.

Well....uhhh....I got the VCD versions.....I knew what I was buying, and I didn't get them off of Ebay. They look cool in a small window on the PC ;).

bigbarada
01-13-2002, 08:13 PM
That's cool, I've just seen people get fooled into buying VCD's thinking they were DVD's. This mostly happened when I was in South Korea, where store owners aren't always required to tell the truth about their product and copywright laws are little more than a joke.

Jedi Clint
01-13-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Any idea if these are homemade or some kind of foreign release?

It mentions them being factory sealed, so they appear to be mass produced (perhaps for Singapore), I could be wrong. Big B?

Thanks for the info on the DVD burners. The whole issue of standards is such a mess right now! I want to wait until they are basically the equivalent of a VCR before I invest in one.

bigbarada
01-13-2002, 08:27 PM
Those DVD sets were mass produced for the Hong Kong market, I believe. As the description said they have English, Chinese and Malay subtitles but those can be turned off. As for the film quality, it's just like watching the VHS versions of the films. $65 per set seems to be about the average price from what I have seen.

Jedi Clint
01-13-2002, 08:30 PM
Ouch VHS quality :(........oh well, at least they won't degrade further.

stillakid
01-13-2002, 11:36 PM
I just got this from a, ahem, secret source. You can purchase the set direct from www.dalarue-store.com. Apparently not "homemade" but I was under the distinct impression that no officially sanctioned DVD's have yet been made. I'm guessing that they're pirated foreign versions or something.