PDA

View Full Version : ROTS WV update

OC47150
06-08-2005, 07:32 AM
In case you haven't read the article.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=31513

Start saving those pennies for September!

2-1B
06-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Should be another awesome set and I can't wait. :)

September feels a bit early (AOTC WV came out in Nov' 02) but even if it does get pushed back a bit it will be a most welcome addition to my collection ! Best of all is the news of some autograph cards.

The sketch cards are neat but come on, it's been way overdone.

OC47150
06-08-2005, 11:15 AM
I have still yet to get an autograph card from any of the series. I'll be optimistic. :D

2-1B
07-07-2005, 03:53 AM
So what do you think of the big reveal on the new set ?

I think it looks fantastic and I can't wait to get it in September. Nice to get a break from those sketch cards and the style of Autograph card looks great. I love the morphing cards, too, I'll be getting both hobby and retail sets of those.

Looks promising ! :)

OC47150
07-07-2005, 07:02 AM
Exciting! I'll be getting a box of the hobby cards and buying retail packs, as usual.

OC47150
07-11-2005, 09:21 AM
This popped into my head this weekend: the ROTS WV cards are coming out in September, yet there's been no mention of promo cards for this set.

The regular ROTS promo cards were announced months in advance. It makes you wonder if there aren't going to be promo cards, or if the promo cards will come later?

2-1B
07-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Sure there will. :)

Topps will release a promo card for the set, available at this year's San Diego Comic-Con International, and another as a mass-market retail card.

The mass market one will be easy to get (Non-Sport Update, Wizard, etc. I assume ? ) but the SDCC one might cost a buck or two to buy if you don't know anyone who is going ?

OC47150
07-11-2005, 12:17 PM
And I know three guys at ComicCon!

Wonder if they're checking their email??

OC47150
07-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Several of us in the local club have sent messages to our friends attending ComicCon to try and pick up the WV promo cards for us. Hopefully, they will be successful.

plasticfetish
07-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Last year I managed to NOT get the Comic-Con card. This year I'm pretty sure that I'll try and get a few. :)

OC47150
07-15-2005, 07:27 AM
I trolled through ebay the other day and the promo card hadn't showed up yet.

OC47150
08-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Friends who went to ComicCon came through for me! I'll be getting them in a couple of weeks.

2-1B
08-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Me too, I'd like to thank Deoxyribonucleic and stillakid for hooking me up with a good amount of these cards for myself and to share with my other card collecting friends.

But of course since nobody really reads this section, they'll have to settle for very little recognition of their good deeds. :crazed:

plasticfetish
08-05-2005, 12:05 AM
I'm reading it Caesar.

You know, after the whole day of wandering the Con, I never found the friggin' Topps booth. :dis: Thankfully a friend is mailing me a card. :)

(God forbid you should be able to ask one of the CARD DEALERS that were there if they know where it is. "Duh, what? Topps booth? I dunno.")

2-1B
08-08-2005, 03:25 AM
(God forbid you should be able to ask one of the CARD DEALERS that were there if they know where it is. "Duh, what? Topps booth? I dunno.")

That's because they want you to buy the card off of them, the same one they just picked up for free. :crazed:

2-1B
08-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Here we go, we've got Mace, Chewie, Tarfful, Grievous, and Allaya as signers . . . since there are only 5 of them, I wouldn't plan on 1 per box. :(

OC47150
08-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Here we go, we've got Mace, Chewie, Tarfful, Grievous, and Allaya as signers . . . since there are only 5 of them, I wouldn't plan on 1 per box. :(

One per case may be more like it, even if that.

2-1B
08-11-2005, 12:10 PM
It'll be at least 1 per case . . . Heritage only had 3 signers and they were 1 in 2 cases. Mace will be a really tough pull but the other 4 should sign enough to get 1 per case, I assume.

OC47150
08-11-2005, 12:16 PM
There's eight boxes to a case, so a 1 in 16 chance of getting an auto card?

2-1B
08-11-2005, 11:01 PM
For Heritage, yes. That's what the odds broke down to, and at that you were most likely to pull the Vader.

I bought one case and got 8 sketches.

My friend bought two cases and in one he got 8 sketches, while the other yielded 7 sketches and the Carrie Fisher auto (more rare than Vader, less rare than Luke so that was a nice score).

From the odds I read, it came down to 1 in 16 boxes had an auto, yes. :)

Now as for ROTS, who knows ? :confused: What sucks is that we won't even get 1 sketch per box . . . I prefer autographs BY FAR to sketches but Heritage was still cool to get those little gems. With this new set, it's either a long shot at an auto or a bunch of different chase cards like chrome and whatever else they have.

I guess time will tell. :D

OC47150
08-12-2005, 06:54 AM
I'll probably stick to my one hobby box. But I'm a sucker for the retail packs. Always have to pick up a bunch if they're available.

2-1B
09-08-2005, 03:54 AM
Steve and I have been working on adding the ROTS cards to the Photogallery Database. We started with the first set of ROTS and will be doing Widevision when it comes out, and in the meantime we'll be working on Heritage from last year.

So far we have the base set up for ROTS and the chase cards should be done soon. Basically, each card gets its own subcategory which Steve puts in the database, and then I go in and post my scans of the card front and back. It's a pretty cool reference list.

I'll be posting some thoughts under specific cards over time, so if any of the 0.1% :p of the SW population interested in discussion on the sets wants to join in, it'll be over there.

On the WV update front, still nothing confirmed as to the insert ratio of the autograph cards . . . I bet they will come 1 per case, 1.5 per case at the most !

That's Topps though, waiting til the last minute to make their announcement. :rolleyes:

OC47150
09-08-2005, 06:45 AM
I'll look forward to seeing that database, Caesar.

I'm waiting for a bonus check from work (any day now!!) so I can order a box of the WV cards.

xwing_5
09-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Where are you ordering the Widevision Cards?

I am interested in getting a "box" but i keep hearing about Hobby and Retail. What is the difference and where do I get?

Thanks
xwing_5

OC47150
09-19-2005, 11:49 AM
A local comic shop that carries cards should be able to order a hobby for you. I ordered mine from an online retailer.

2-1B
09-22-2005, 03:53 AM
Where are you ordering the Widevision Cards?

I am interested in getting a "box" but i keep hearing about Hobby and Retail. What is the difference and where do I get?

Thanks
xwing_5

I ordered mine from the (somewhat) local card dealer, he confirmed back at the beginning of the summer that he had a case reserved for me. :) There are several online retailers, too, I have ordered from www.gcxonline.com in the past and they are very good. I am in no way posting that as an advertisement for them and you very well might find a better price elsewhere (for product, shipping, or both) so I am just naming them as a dealer I've had no problems with in the past. :)

Speaking of which, I see GCX has a Sept 28th date listed for ROTS WV, so that's cool. I can't wait !

The difference between Hobby and Retail is this:

Retail has NO chance of getting an autograph. However, there are Retail-Only inserts of "FLIX-PIX LENTICULAR MOTION CARDS" at the odds of 1:9 packs. I believe there are 9 total ? For this subset, I will just wait it out and buy them as a set from a dealer or individually and piece a set together. I will not chase these by buying packs. Also, the Retail set offers Chrome Art cards at 1:60 packs, HOWEVER those same cards can be pulled from the Hobby boxes at 1:6 packs. So, I'll finish off a set of those with little or no problem. The Hobby boxes also offer a shot at Autograph Cards and while Topps has not posted the official odds, I found out the rumored odds and I think these will be legit.

Remember though, take this as RUMOR until somebody actually opens up a box and posts what is written on the packs ! ! !

Autographs 1:48 packs

Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu) 1:2795
Matthew Wood (General Grievous) 1:435
Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) 1:328
Michael Kingma (Tarfful) 1:66
Amy Allen (Aayla Secura)1:66

Okay, assuming that is correct (and remember it's only rumor for now), here are my feelings on the matter:

I am very pleased. :) I do hate that they don't have nearly as many signers as AOTC WV but considering what they did with the measly 3 mega-rare autograph cards for Heritage, I am pumped up about it because while Heritage was 1 every other case, ROTS will be 1 every other box or 4 per case.

Of course, I'm sure most cases will have 2 Tarffuls and 2 Securas but that's fine with me, I have a buyer for any doubles I pull. :)

I am SO HAPPY if the Mayhew will be kind of rare because then if I pull it, it will have more trade value since it's harder to pull. Nothing against Chewy, because he's awesome, but I met Mayhew at a few shows already and bought a signed 8x10 from him so if I pull his card, I'm not keeping it.

Grievous would be a great pull, I would be so delighted to get him . . . and Master Windu is of course the Holy Grail of this set coming in about 116 or 117 boxes . . . so if I pull him, I might faint ! lol

OC47150
09-22-2005, 07:12 AM
The last few hobby boxes I've ordered have came from Rich's Cards. His prices are reasonable, and he does offer insurance on shipping.

Here's a link:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rsmolen/cards.htm

I've also bought extra sketch cards from him, too. Ones that I could afford.

For the lecticular cards, I'll take my chances and by loose packs from Target or Wal-Mart.

I'm not holding my breath on the auto cards.

I also heard that, since there's only 24 packs to a case, it might be difficult to get a complete set from one box. Hope that's not the case.

2-1B
09-22-2005, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't worry, you should be able to grab a full set no problem. Clones was 24 packs and I never experienced a problem there. :)

OC47150
09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
It's only happen to me once, and it was TPM 3D cards. Got all but one.

2-1B
10-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Woo Hoo ! I just got off the phone with my dealer, he said my case arrived yesterday so I am off in a few minutes to go pick it up. Wish me luck ! :)

OC47150
10-06-2005, 01:39 PM
I heard from my dealer, too. His boxes arrived and will be mailing mine out shortly.

Just a few more days.

2-1B
10-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I just opened box 1 and I pulled the Grievous auto ! ! ! ! ! :) :) :)

that's awesome because he's a tough pull, the second hardest to get but the other side of it is that I now have zero chance at a Jackson. lol I expect to also pull Mayhew, Tarfful, and Amy Allen.

Good luck OC. :)

OC47150
10-06-2005, 01:51 PM
If I get an auto card, I'll poop my pants. Seriously.

2-1B
10-07-2005, 12:09 AM
You've got a 50/50 shot, good luck ! :)

OC47150
10-10-2005, 07:02 AM
I pooped my pants Saturday afternoon. I got an Amy Allen auto card.

I got a complete set, about 3/4s of a second set and four of the 10 chrome cards.

xwing_5
10-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Got my 2 boxes on Friday.

Opened up the first box and pulled . . .

NOTHING

opened up box two and . . .

NOTHING, nadda, zilch, bupkus.
I am pretty upset. $89.00 and not even an Amy Allen auto.

Very disappointing.

plasticfetish
10-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Found WV cards at retail this morning -- at Target. Picked up a "Bonus Box" for $9.99, and they had the usual wall mount display with single packs as well. :)

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=14922

jonthejedi
10-14-2005, 03:08 PM
I need ROTS Widevision cards #36 & 51. I have extras for trade...let me know what you're missing!!!

BlueSnags
10-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Picked up two boxes (12 packs) + 6 individual packs from Burbank Target today. The cards are sweet, I'll be posting my doubles/needs for anyone who wants to trade.

-Snags

2-1B
10-14-2005, 10:57 PM
I never updated with the other autograph I pulled, I got Mayhew, so including Grievous that's the 2nd and 3rd most rare out of the 5.

I need ROTS Widevision cards #36 & 51. I have extras for trade...let me know what you're missing!!!

I gottcha covered, Jon. :)

jonthejedi
10-15-2005, 05:05 AM
Thanks Caesar! You have a reply!

BlueSnags
10-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Okay guys,

I've been collecting these and almost put a full set together. The only cards I'm missing are:

#36 "Ally...Or Sith Lord?"
#73 "A Mechanical Prison"

Anyone have any cards they're missing? I have a grip of doubles. I also have a double of the Mace Windu "motion" card that I will trade for the last two cards I'm missing. LMK!

mintoncard
10-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Hello all..

Here's my NEED/TRADE list:

NEEDED:
FLIX-PIX: #6
RETAIL CHROME: #2
HOBBY CHROME: #1, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

TO TRADE:
FLIX-PIX: #1, #4, #5, #9
RETAIL CHROME: #1, #3, #4, #8, #9, #10
AS WELL AS ANY AND ALL COMMON CARDS

Feel free to email me to set up a trade!

Andy

BlueSnags
10-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Hello all..

Here's my NEED/TRADE list:

NEEDED:
FLIX-PIX: #6
RETAIL CHROME: #2
HOBBY CHROME: #1, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

TO TRADE:
FLIX-PIX: #1, #4, #5, #9
RETAIL CHROME: #1, #3, #4, #8, #9, #10
AS WELL AS ANY AND ALL COMMON CARDS

Feel free to email me to set up a trade!

Andy

Just sent you an email. Let's trade!:thumbsup:

2-1B
10-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Damn, looks like I'm late to the party. :D I would have scooped those Flix Pix up. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Even though "I don't collect the cards, but..." I did pick up a couple packs yesterday from Target. These are some very nice shots, and they're back to the creative captions for the cards again. Nice, Topps!

stillakid
10-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Hola! If anyone manages to put an extra set together, I'd gladly take it off your hands. Let me know. :)

2-1B
10-22-2005, 02:13 PM
I got you covered stillakid, I owe you for all those promos you sent me. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, I passed a set of those promos on to jonthejedi. :)

OC47150
10-24-2005, 07:22 AM
Damn, looks like I'm late to the party. :D

That's the story of my life.

Target has a box of WV cards for $10. You get five packs and bonus card, too. Hadn't seen that reported, so I thought I'd pass it on.

plasticfetish
10-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Target has a box of WV cards for $10. You get five packs and bonus card, too. Hadn't seen that reported, so I thought I'd pass it on.Right up at the front my man...

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=31863

:)

Caesar... did I see you mention that you got a Mayhew autograph card? :sur: ;)

2-1B
10-24-2005, 11:24 AM
lol lol lol Yeah PF, and I'll probably sell it down the road because I have Mayhew on an 8x10 already so I don't need his auto again and since it's a rarer card I can put it toward some other collecting needs . . . and on top of that I hate the guy so it won't be hard to part with. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2005, 07:25 AM
For those of you who, like me, are pack-at-a-time collectors, my first three opened ones have been good. Sadly, no insert cards :( but no duplicates, either. I have the first and last ones, and no more than about a 20 card gap between cards. It's like I could read the movie, and understand it! ;) I usually reach a point where $2 a pop to find a few more cards gets tedious and I seek out the complete set, but it is fun in the meantime.

OC47150
11-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Has anyone seen the WV collectible tins out in the stores?

xwing_5
11-10-2005, 11:13 AM
I saw one tin at TRU in Downers Grove , Il. It was Grevious. That is it. If there are any more out there we should start to see them with the holiday season.

2-1B
11-10-2005, 11:45 AM
I haven't seen the tins yet because I never go to TRU and I'm not interested in them since they don't even include PACKS of cards but rather a wrapped stack of ONLY base cards . . . if they had a handful of retail packs in there I would buy every tin and get a nice little bonus in whatever retail chases I would pull and that would save me from buying more of them on the aftermarket.

I don't really feel like buying the tins without any added incentives. :)

OC47150
11-10-2005, 12:21 PM
My TRU still has the standard size tins. I'll be hitting the stores a little more now that the holidays are here.

I will say, Topps did a better job with the ROTS cards and tin than the previous SW series. The price was better, $10 compared to $20.

xwing_5
11-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Caesar quote: I haven't seen the tins yet because I never go to TRU and I'm not interested in them since they don't even include PACKS of cards but rather a wrapped stack of ONLY base cards . . . if they had a handful of retail packs in there I would buy every tin and get a nice little bonus in whatever retail chases I would pull and that would save me from buying more of them on the aftermarket.

I don't really feel like buying the tins without any added incentives. :)

I agree. Just to get some base cards is not enough incentive to to buy the tins. At least the regular Topps ROTS(non widevision) tins came with actual packs, and AOTC tins had a limited edition card of the picture of the tin that you got along with a couple of packs of cards.
Topps knows that these will sell regardless and they are capatalizing on it.
In my opinion the tin is not well done. They could have been a much better item. They are just plain and the printing on them even looks cheap, cant really explain it but it just looks cheap.

2-1B
11-10-2005, 02:30 PM
I don't even know what they look like, I'll poke around eBay for some pics.

edit: okay I just saw a pic of all 6 and they're alright but nothing to prompt a purchase out of me.

OC47150
12-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Found the WV tins at TRU. The tins are with the other trading cards and supplies, not toys.

OC47150
12-15-2005, 07:45 AM
I bought two of the tins last night, to add to my collection.

The cards themselves are shrink-wrapped. Didn't get a single premium card out of the tins, but about two-thirds of a set, though.

Is the tin worth the price? Probably not. If you're looking for the bonus cards, I think you'd have better luck buying the bonus box from Target or WM for $10. The tin itself is a nice collectible.

I bought the tins with Chewie and Tarful, and Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting.