PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars-isms

jlw
06-09-2005, 08:08 PM
The other day I was on the phone with a co-worker from our corporate office, and in our conversation he mentioned that he did not have the authority to make judgment on a particular situation because he was simply a "Padawan" and not a "Jedi Master."

This got me to thinking, do any of you use "Star Wars-isms" in your everyday life?

I know anytime I see an extremely over-weight person I always start my Jabba the Hutt type laugh. Also, I have turned the name "Obi-Wan Kenobi" into a verb, meaning someone got their a** kicked; as in the sentence "Man, Blade just 'Obi-Wan Kenobied' that Vampire!!" Also, if someone in my line of work says that they've been looking for me; I reply in my Yoda voice, "Looking? Found someone you have. He he he."

I know I'm a Star Wars dork; but I was just wondering if anyone else used "Star Wars-isms" in their everyday life?

Ji'dai
06-09-2005, 09:17 PM
I occasionally spout off dialogue from the Battle of Yavin, usually in highway traffic when I'm passing people like crazy.

So drumroll if you please, Paul, it's time for:

The TOP TEN "Battle of Yavin" Lines to Use While Driving

10. "We're passing through the magnetic field."
9. "Lock S-Foils in attack position."
8. (Texan voice): "Stay up here and wait for my signal to begin your attack run."
7. "Pick up your visual scanning, watch for enemy fighters."
6. "Stay on target."
5. "This is Red Five, I'm going in."
4. "Stay in attack formation."
3. "The Force is strong with this one."
2. "I'm on the leader."
1. "I have you now."

Rocketboy
06-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Besides waving my hand when I walk through an automatic door?
(Don't even pretend that you don't do it!)

A pretty common one is when some one says "Lock the door(s)."
The response is (naturally):
"And hope they don't have blasters."

Darth Spectre
06-09-2005, 11:58 PM
I've done the door thing too actually...more times than I should admit...LOL. I have also used variations of Obi-Wan's "You don't need to see his identification" accompanied with the hand wave (and so far, it has worked....LOL). As for pure dialogue, I think I used "Impressive. Most Impressive" and "I find your lack of faith....disturbing" the most.

Kidhuman
06-10-2005, 02:02 AM

No lie there, I do that.

Another thing I do is if I am looking for something and someone says "Is this it?" I will reply. "Those arent the droids I'm looking for"

ALso when someone says "I tried" I give them the old Yoda line....

2-1B
06-10-2005, 02:24 AM
If somebody asks me a question as in (hypothetical scenario):

"I don't know how to spell that word, do you know, 'Caesar' ? "

I will respond with "of course I know him. *tapping my chest* He's me."

I love that one because it takes a question out of meaning and avails itself to a Star Warsian reply. lol

Slicker
06-10-2005, 06:57 AM
I'd like to know who DOESN'T do the automatic door thing.:D

As for me I do nearly all of the above and my roommate and myself also say Hothsome. Kinda like a mix of Hoth and awesome. Don't ask me why we just made it up. That should be a lesson to the youngsters. Don't drink and make up words.

I also do alot of the SW stuff from Toyfare magazine like:
"Khoo Ha please pass the jelly"
and
"Did you see that? He just stood their"

jlw
06-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Another thing I do is when I am talking to someone and trying to get my way; I will waive my hand in front of them (Qui-Gon Jinn style) and repeat my request.

Or if one of my kids are trying to pull a fast one over on me, I'll do my Jabba laugh and say, "Your Jedi minds tricks won't work on me, boy."

And yes, I do the door thing; done since I was a kid!!

CaptainSolo1138
06-10-2005, 10:08 AM
As for me I do nearly all of the above and my roommate and myself also say Hothsome. Kinda like a mix of Hoth and awesome. Don't ask me why we just made it up. That should be a lesson to the youngsters. Don't drink and make up words.

Dude, that's great!!

I always say Han's cocky 'Thank You' that he spouts when Bespin Security finally lets him land.

I drop "Almost there...." in many situations.

As for the door, I too have done it more than my fair share of times (on occasion, Slicker, Rocketboy, and I have all done it at the same time to the same door. Does it open 3x as fast? :confused: )

And when my Poptarts get burned? "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

X13VADER
06-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I Have A Nextel At Work And All My Underlings Are Listed As Padawan #####.and Yes The Door Wave Of Course.

BanthaPoodoo
06-10-2005, 12:50 PM
I usually do the "these aren't the (insert whatever item) you're looking for" here at work.

I also do an emperor imitation when someone does something I like or it works in my favor "Good, good"

LOL!

2-1B
06-10-2005, 01:42 PM
And when my Poptarts get burned? "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Now WTF would you even cook a Poptart in the first place ? :rolleyes:

Poptarts are meant to be eaten straight out of the package, preferably refridgerated.

You deserve to have them get burned. :mad:

lol lol lol

El Chuxter
06-10-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm quite fond of "Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. A long time" whenever appropriate.

CaptainSolo1138
06-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Correction: When I see in my mailbox that Caesar has posted: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

JimJamBonds
06-10-2005, 02:45 PM
What do I do/say?

- The door hand wave thingy.
"These aren't the ____ you're looking for."
When somebody starts saying they are having problems getting the car/truck out of a tight parking space...
- "Awwww cannot get your ship out."
Whenever I'm talking to some idiot on the phone at work I'd rather shoot it with my blaster and say "I hate boring conversations anyway."
And also "much to learn you still have."

Jim Jam

Slicker
06-10-2005, 04:19 PM
And when my Poptarts get burned? "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"If you'd pay attention to the instructions you'd have this problem. 3 second Pop-Tarts. (http://threesecondsmores.ytmnd.com/)

darthvyn
06-10-2005, 07:20 PM
When somebody starts saying they are having problems getting the car/truck out of a tight parking space...
- "Awwww cannot get your ship out."

that's hysterical!

i know i've done star warsisms on occassion, but just can't think of any now. the only thing that sticks in my mind at the moment is not really a saying i use all the time, but one instance of using a line in a conversation once about a toy.

i was working in a small toy store, and my friend came to visit. we had a bunch of SW toys on the walls, and he saw "general calrissian" on the peg. he said "general? when did they make lando a general" and i said "someone must've told them about that little maneuver at the battle of tanaab." and he just stared at me like i was the biggest geek he had ever encountered.

i guess i use "move along, move along" a bit. "these aren't the droids..." every once in a while. i actually DO NOT do the hand wave sensor door thing. just never thought about it... i think i use simpsonsisms more...

meh...

Rocketboy
06-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Whenever I'm talking to some idiot on the phone at work I'd rather shoot it with my blaster and say "I hate boring conversations anyway."I do the "boring conversation anyway" thing, especially when it comes to telemarketers or people that hang up when they realize it's a wrong number.

sith_killer_99
06-11-2005, 12:09 AM
I do the "these aren't the _____ your looking for." a lot, in my line of work it pops up a lot. Also "You don't need ____." works quite well from time to time.

Training new soldiers, I often use a lot of "much to learn you still have", "you have done well young padawan", "do or do not, there is not try", "the boy has no patients" and "I have a bad feeling about this" and on and on.

I also use random SW lines. It's funny, because we have a new soldier who is a SW fan and he tends to follow a lot of the lines I drop and he even uses some from time to time.

I'm gonna have to remember to use the "boring conversation anyway." line whenever I hang up the phone. :D

Kidhuman
06-11-2005, 01:33 AM
When raising kids(padawans), Yodas lines come in handy. They are awesome.

Kid: I tried my best
Me: DO or do not, there is no try

Kid: Can we go now?
Me: This boy/girl has no patients

darko666
06-11-2005, 01:51 AM
the "force" wave to an automatic door is a must.

i quote the yoda "do or do not" line a lot.

DarthAngel
06-11-2005, 03:26 PM

Uhm...sure...sort of like using Jedi powers, right?

When I start to get ****ed at someone I will say to myself "Give in to your anger".

Otherwise I will do some random things when I am driving in my car. Most common one's are "Stay on target", "I'm on the leader", "I have you now", and "Punch it".

And from time to time if something someone said does not sit right with me, or something I did doesn't come out right, I will say "I have a very bad feeling about this".

CaptainSolo1138
06-11-2005, 09:38 PM
If you'd pay attention to the instructions you'd have this problem. 3 second Pop-Tarts. (http://threesecondsmores.ytmnd.com/)
HAW! That's where I got that from!

Another I use is "You want this *pat pat*. Don't you?" Comes in handy when you're in control of the remote.

jlw
06-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Its funny, after I started this thread, I was on a jobsite and one of the builders started telling a story where he started, "I remember back in ..." when all of the sudden one of his laborers squatted down beside him and said, "when 800yrs old, look so good, you will not." I started crackin' up and told them all about the whole "Star Wars-isms" thing on this website. Years ago I had an old 1977-78(?) Toyota truck that I referred to as my "airspeeder"; then years after that I had a Lincoln Town Car that kept breaking down that I referred to as the Millenium Falcon.

trandoshan666
06-12-2005, 10:30 AM
I regularly use these lines at my job (I'm second in command):
"That is why you fail"
"Don't fail me again"
"The force is strong with you ____, but you are not a Jedi yet."
"You want this?"

At home and at work, there is a "great disturbance in the force" from time to time. That could mean a lot of things have gone haywire. I know there are others because I'm occasionally called on it.

JimJamBonds
06-12-2005, 04:46 PM
A buddy of mine will say when walking into a room "Ello boyos" which I like. Another friend refers to dogs as jar jars which I like alot and often use myself.

Jim Jam

JetsAndHeels
06-12-2005, 06:19 PM
One of my fav lines is "You can't take her there, the Hutts are Gangstas"..
my friends and I laugh at that one all the time (I know thats not an OT quote but I still think its funny).
Of course the lines like "these aren't the droids you're looking for", and "half-witted, stuck up scruffy looking nerfherder" are also personal favorites.

And yes, I do the hand wave at automatic doors...its so much fun!!

DarthAngel
06-12-2005, 07:50 PM
On top of the other few things I listed previously, I forgot to include, that when I get really ****ed at people in traffic (or online, or in person) and I can't come up with anything good to say, I will call them a nef-hearder(sp?)

megaprime33
06-17-2005, 11:15 AM
The only main thing I do alot is when I really annoy the hell out of someone I say, "I can feel the hate swelling in you now."

Kidhuman
06-17-2005, 11:58 AM
My wife witnessed me doing the hand wave thing at the auto doors and laughed yesterday.

Slicker
06-17-2005, 12:34 PM
The other day I caught myself doing the hand wave when I was alone. I chuckled and moved along.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Here is one I don't think anyone has mentioned in this thread yet. Whenever someone asks for my prediction, I like to say "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

Sometimes I find myself saying "mesa" or "wesa".

I've been in chatrooms a lot, and the conversations usually end up with people arguing, so I would say "Excellent! Release your anger! Your hatred has made you powerful!" Then if they make fun of me for liking Star Wars, I'll say "Yousa be making fun of me? Yousa all bombad!"

Sometimes, if someone asks me what I need, I want to say "what I really need is a droid that understands the binary language of moisture vaporators."

Years ago, I saw a post on Usenet for a "you might be a Star Wars fan if..." thread. You might be a Star Wars fan if you stand outside the optometrist office and tell people "You have paid the price for your lack of vision!" You could also say this to someone who has made a bad choice and is suffering the consequences.

Sometimes, I wish I had a Darth Vader costume just so I could go to the park and ride and ask someone "Where is that shuttle going?" Or maybe I could go to Cape Canaveral and say that the next time the Space Shuttle launches.

CaptainSolo1138
06-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Sometimes, if someone asks me what I need, I want to say "what I really need is a droid that understands the binary language of moisture
Yeah, I'm totally borrowing that next time I'm at Target! :D

I like to say "It's a trap!", especially when it doesn't fit the situation whatsoever.

darthvyn
06-24-2005, 10:06 PM
I like to say "It's a trap!", especially when it doesn't fit the situation whatsoever.

my friends and i in college had a "contest" to see who could be the first to yell "it's a trap!!!" whenever tori spelling showed up in a movie or tv show we were watching, since she looks a lot like admiral ackbar...

Kidhuman
06-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Vyn, its a trap

Bel-Cam Jos
06-25-2005, 11:59 PM
First of all, I alternate my automatic door techniques, not just the hand wave. My favorite is the uppercut punch, followed by the finger-thumb gun shot, finger snap, and the ZZTop arm-bend-hand-shake.

Second, I tend to fit my SW-isms into "normal" statements. For example:

- When an answer would be "You could" (as in #1: "Should I eat this Pop Tart?" #2: "You could." ) I add "... call for a vote in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."
- Jango's dry "possibly" response fits many a time, if you use the right accent.
- "But now, we must eat" is perfect at meal times.
- I also use the old SW storybook-on-tape/record introduction where the narrator says "Let's begin now" at times when... well, something begins.
- When there's a time when a gift is given or received, I oddly drop the more appropriate "a gift" Luke line and just say "Both are hardworking, and will serve you well." (confuses the heck outta most people)
- "Ohwll uv them" (Palaptine's "all of them" line) is good, too.
- "We're fine, we're all fine here, now, thank you. How're you?" is fun.
- "That's impossible, even for a computer" fits any can't-do-it scenario.

Other completely random quotes that I use for no apparent reasons, at any time:
- "Lando system?"
- "He will find your lost ship" (slurring the last two words in a deep voice).
- "No. He will not be trained."
- "Fire at will, commander."
- "An Imperial probe droid."

Mad Slanted Powers
06-26-2005, 01:49 AM
- "But now, we must eat" is perfect at meal times.When I still lived with my parents, we'd be eating dinner in the living room and I would look out the window and see robins on the lawn looking for worms and I would say "for the robin it is time to eat as well

- "No. He will not be trained."Sometimes when someone says "Excuse me", I feel like saying, "No, you will not be excused." Then I also feel like adding "And you will not pass go, and you will not collect $200."

Rebo's_Guitarist
06-26-2005, 09:42 AM
At dinner if theres something I dont like, I give em "How you get so big, eating food of this kind, hmm?"

Or on birthdays "when 800 years old you are, look this good, you will not"

Rocketboy
07-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Found this and couldn't help but think of this thread.

You Know You're Addicted to Star Wars When...
You can recite *all* the dialogue from the trilogy.

You watch the entire trilogy at least once a month.

You wonder why the SW theme never makes it into those "clasical collections."

Any time you pick up a walkie-talkie or two-way radio, the first thing you say is "TK-421, why aren't you at your post?"

Whenever you went anywhere outside with your friends, you always walked single file, to hide your numbers.

You've written several letters to the President recommending that he dissolve the council, put power in the hands of the regional governors, and let fear keep the local systems in line.

In college, after several hours of poker, you got thrown our of the game for suggesting, "How about some sabacc?"

When trying unsuccessfully to snare that last Cheerio floating in your cereal bowl, you remarked, "the Force is strong with this one."

On Halloween, you would never dress as: Luke, Han Solo, Leia, Vader, Chewie, Threepio, Artoo

However, you would dress as: Wedge, Porkins, Crix Madine, that spider droid from Jabba's palace that fat dancer from Jabba's palace, Sy Snootles, the Cantina bartender. The monster in the trash compactor, Boba Fett, An Imperial probe droid

You've been pulled over by a policeman, and when asked to see your driver's license you replied, "You don't need to see my identification."

And when he asks about your two friends in the back "They're for sale, if you want them."

You have physically threatened anyone who referred to "Hans Solo" or "Dark Vader", confused Star Wars with Star Trek, or spellied Wookiee with only one "e."

You have held up an onion ring and said, "Look sir...droids!"

You've referred to Wedge Antilles or Boba Fett as "The Man."

You've bought a white Isuzu Trooper, strictly because of the name.

While sitting on the couch with your girlfriend, she comments about being cold. So, naturally, you slice open the side of the cushion and stuff her in.

You insist on spelling Pizza Hut "Pizza Hutt."

You dropped your religion and now live the way Yoda taught you.

You recorded all the new Star Wars comercials.

You frequently experience insomnia and, to counter this, begin counting nerfs.

You answer the phone "Die wanna wanga?"

Whenever you buy a new appliance, you make sure to get one that speaks Bacchi.

You call your aunt and uncle Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen.

Whenever you catch sight of cars behind yours, you say "Fighters, coming in, point three five."

Someone else in your car says "What about that tower?"

You respond, "You worry about those fighters, I'll worry about the tower", and moments later your car slams into the water tower the passenger was referring to.

When a cop catches you speeding, you floor it, saying "I've outrun Imperial starships, and not the local bulk cruisers..."

When someone apologizes to you, you choke him and tell him that you accept his apology.

You ride your motorbike through the forest at top speed, and survive after throwing yourself off just before it hits a tree.

You've 'wielded' a flashlight and made humming sounds.

You wave your hand purposefully and 'use the force' to open and close automatic doors or elevator doors.

You go over to a friends, go to his refrigerator, and crawl in throwing food and stuff over your shoulder and grunting.

You walk into an optometrist's office and shout: You will PAY for your lack of vision!

You have a Yoda figurine replacing the brand symbol on the hood of your car.

When accelerating your car to enter the freeway, you tell your passengers to strap in and prepare for light speed.

Your significant other dumps you because everytime she/he says, "I love you" you always respond, "I know."

You quote Yoda to defend your political beliefs.

You have so many SW Trilogy GIF's, JPG's, MIDI's, AVI's, WAV's, MPG's, icons and text files that you're rapidly running out of disk space and have to buy a bigger hard drive just to hold them all.

You have so many SW posters that you can't see your ceiling or floor, either.

You have so many SW toys that you can't see your SW posters anyway.

When leaving a restaurant, you can't resist signing Boba Fett or Darth Vader in the guestbook.

You went through a state of depression when Chewie died.

You look at "big hairy carpets" with more respect than before.

You speak Rodian.

You punch out trekkies who say "Death star my ***, I'd like to see those losers take out DS9."

With a blue-tinted plastic tube, a flashlight, two hours of a Saturday night, and 4 rolls of blue electrical tape, you finally complete your own working "Light-saber"

You listen for Obi-Wan while attempting to parallel park

1Your father asks you how fast your car is, and you reply, "Fast enough for you, old man!"

You could have sworn you saw bantha tracks during your trip to the grand canyon.

Every time somebody sneezes, you say, "May the force be with you."

The cinnamon buns in your hair start to grow mold.

You call your friend who is a midget Wicket.

You refer to money as credits without trying to.

You respond to any mention of the legality of something with "I will make it legal."

You start reliving the speeder bike chase on your motorbike.

Someone tells you your car is old and beat-up, you reply "She'll do .5 past light speed..."

You refer to getting off the freeway as coming out of hyperspace.

You are POSITIVE you are force-sensitive and only lack the proper training.

Someone says they will try to do something you automatically respond "Do or do not. There is no try."

By intense study you have actually figured out the location of every gun implacement on a star destroyer.

Your house robe is brown and extra large.

You type in the terms for a search engine as if entering coordinates, then shout "Punch it, Chewie!" as you click on search.

You argue about whether Star Wars is space fantasy or space opera.

You're out looking for a Wookie for your school's wrestling team.

You nickname your car the Millennium Falcon.

The last time a cute guy tried to hug you, your hands were dirty.

When your mom asks you to clean your room, you say "Leave that to me."

Your friends share recipes for cooking Ewok.

You have a long braid in you hair like Obi-Wan in E1.

You call your boss/teacher "Master"

You went to the nearest recruiting center and asked to be assigned to the 121st TIE squadren

When asked if you want to be buried or creamated you say "I'll just vanish like the rest of the Jedi"

You have a bad feeling about everything.

While partying with friends, you do your Darth Vader impression.

You try to get your car up to .5 beyond lightspeed, in a parking lot.

You call your girlfriend, "your Highness."

You keep calling your boyfriend, "Luke," "Han," or "Lando" by mistake.

You believe John Williams is the best composer ever (which, of course, he is!), and George Lucas is a god (which, too, is pretty much true!)

While listening to the soundtrack without knowing the name of the song you are listening to, you know exactly what's happening while it's playing.

In foreign language class, you tell the teacher, "Hey! If I'm fluent in over six million forms of communication, then how come I'm getting such a bad grade in this class?"

When your friends confide in you and tell you their deepest, darkest secrets, you say, "You are far too trusting."

When your dad says, "I am your father," you begin to scream uncontrollably and shout, "NOOOO! It's not true!" at the top of your lungs.

You have ever thought the world would be a better place if it were like the Rebel Alliance/New Republic.

You now want to become an astronaut to see if there really is a Lando system.

Obiwan Kenobi and Yoda come to you in your dreams and give you advice about tough situations you're dealing with.

Yoda's little sayings have had a profound impact on your life, and you abide by them religiously.

You've created lyrics to the songs in Star Wars.

Instead of saving for college, you save up for Star Wars stuff you plan to buy.

Anyone who doesn't like Star Wars you proclaim is an Imperial.

When you are ticked off at somebody, you send bounty hunters all over the place to find them and then you encase him in carbonite for a new wall decoration.

When your alarm clock goes off in the morning, your reply is, "Unexpected this is... and unfortunate!"

When riding your bike, you look behind you and accelerate wildly by pressing down on the petal with your right toe.

You've kept the "good" action figures stored separately from the "bad" ones.

As a child, whenever you had broken something, your response was always, "It must've had a self-destruct mechanism. I didn't hit it that hard."

You've refused to enter a cave/cavern/tunnel without a handgun and a large stick.

When you waited for a friend to catch up with you, you told him to hurry up or he'd be a permanent resident.

You've ever found yourself in a chat room, training Jedi.

You've ever told your younger brother at the dinner table, "Use the fork, Luke."

You've ever roped off your Star Wars Action Figure collection, claiming it to be an independent nation.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends who are addicted to Star Wars.

CaptainSolo1138
07-08-2005, 11:39 AM
The last time a cute guy tried to hug you, your hands were dirty.
I knew you were lying. Tramp.

Anyway, good list, man. The last item made me laugh most. :D

JimJamBonds
07-08-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm a big fan of Obi-Wan's "curious" from AOTC.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-08-2005, 08:49 PM
You've ever told your younger brother at the dinner table, "Use the fork, Luke."I figure Owen or Beru must have said this at least once to Luke.

Miksh Habri
07-15-2005, 04:18 AM
Yoda quotes are very frequently spoken by me. For a failed attempt when one is claiming that they tried: "Do, or do not, there is no try.",

When I don't agree with something: "Not if anything to say about it I have."

Someone requests insight and I'm not sure what to say: "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is."

When someone's motives seem wrong, or I guess for the hell of it: "Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you."

I always accuse people of being Imperial or of the Sith if they **** me off, and I get weird looks a lot for that.

If someone makes a mistake, I can't help to say "You have much to learn, my young apprentice."

And mistaking Star Trek with Star Wars just isn't cool, so when I hear a misconception I am forced to say something.

The automatic door..... ha ha.

Oh yes, "Laugh it up, fuzzball" always works when you get a sarcastic laugh or look. Then weird looks always follow.

A few years ago, when I'd be driving and the snow would be falling thick, I would put on my brights and either pretend or proclaim to whoever was with me about how we were going into lightspeed/hyperspace.

Two-way on the Nextels was always fun, but my friends never really understood "Echo 3 to Echo 7. Han, old buddy, do you read me?"

I know that you all had to at least one time say "May the force be with you" rather than a goodbye.....it's just like the automatic doors....

I know that there is more "Star-Wars-geekish" stuff that I do and say, but I can't help it....really. I love the confusion in people's eyes and witnessing their "lack of faith".

jlw
07-16-2005, 12:19 AM
The other day I was mumbling to myself, and my girlfriend asked me, "What?" I replied, "Its nothing, just top-gassing"

DarkArtist
07-26-2005, 09:21 AM
The other day while having the day from hell my fiance asked if there was anything she could do to cheer me up or help me to feel better in which I replied "Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport off this rock."

tagmac
07-26-2005, 09:45 PM
When some former friends on another board decided to turn on me for refusing to be PC and listen to/agree with them on several issues, I changed my signature on that board to my favorite Han Solo line: "I take orders from just one person - ME!"

When in stuck in traffic and looking for an out, I've been known to mutter either of the following lines from the trench battle in ANH:
"This is it!"
"We should be able to see it by now!"

Not being a tall guy growing up, I always identified with Yoda's line "Size matters not," and while I wish I'd used that line for my Senior Yearbook quote back in '94, I instead used "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."

Whenever I hear about terrorist actions on the news, I immediately think of Darth Sidious' line in TPM: "Wipe them out....ALL OF THEM!" To which I then add from ROTS: "Do what must be done! Do not hesitate! Show no mercy!"

JimJamBonds
07-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Whenever somebody starts talking big about what they do and all they know and then a situation that they have no idea how to fix and need good ol' Jim Jam's help I often think: "Much to learn you still have!"

Mad Slanted Powers
07-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Sometimes I feel I am "too old to begin the training" whenever I consider trying something new.

Hey, next time someone waves at you trying to get your attention you could say "what do you think you're some sort of Jedi waving your hand around like that? Mind tricks don't work on me, only money!"

Anyone ever try saying "Greetings exalted one" to anybody?

Rebo's_Guitarist
07-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Last night my girlfriend was throwin a fit about something and I said "Youre a fiesty little one, but you will soon learn some respect working on the masters sail barge." Yeah, that didnt make it any better.:sur: :mad:

Ji'dai
07-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Last night my girlfriend was throwin a fit about something and I said "Youre a fiesty little one, but you will soon learn some respect working on the masters sail barge." Yeah, that didnt make it any better.:sur: :mad: After a comment like that, it probably wouldn't be prudent to surprise her with a Slave Leia costume :stupid:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-09-2006, 04:38 PM
I was taking a cricket out of my classroom the other day (because I don't kill lucky insects) I'd trapped in a mug. Anyhow, another staff member asked what I had in the mug, and I told him what I was doing. He said "you know, it'll probably just come back," and I replied, "yes, and in greater numbers." He didn't respond. :sad:

JediTricks
09-09-2006, 05:08 PM
To be honest, I doubt if someone said that to me I'd pick up on it being a SWism. It's a good response but a bit easy to accept as generic.

Devo
09-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Hilarious thread!! I'd individually LOL each post only that'd be a bit OTT. I can identify with so much here - except the hand waving at automatic doors. I can't believe I've never thought of that!! :D

Lines I frequently use with proper voice and intonation mimickry:

At times of frustration - It just isn't fair!!Oh Biggs was right I'm never gonna get out of here

When giving someone the go ahead to do something - you may fire when ready

when I do something impressive - Y'know sometimes I amaze even myself

when someone says sorry for something - Apology accepted Captain Needa

standard warning for someone not to forget something - Don't fail me again...admiral

Totally random - strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be com-plete!!! (emphasis on the 'plete')

complimenting someone - indeed you are powerful as the Emperor has foreseen

bemoaning someones late understanding or late realisation of something is obviously - only now..at the end - do you understand (my brother used to use this one to signify he was taking over the computer - was never sure how it fit this context)

In situations where I've told a little white lie or made any kind of referance that could be interpreted another way - so what I told you was true - from a certain point of view (same brother used this one today in fact)

When my bathroom is invaded by a large moth I think of Theepio's oh how horrid or beastly thing

I was playing top trumps with another brother last week (star wars top trumps though so I'm not sure it can count) and I used You are beaten - it is useless to resist when, obviously, I defeated him.

When one of my cards, say the corellian corvette, came up against his death star card i said 'my cruiser couldn't repel firepower of that magnitude'

When he pointed out how crap the landspeeder card was and how it had failed to win any engagement I said 'ever since the Xp38 came out they just aren't in demand'. Not sure it quite fit but I thought it was funny.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-10-2006, 11:01 AM
To be honest, I doubt if someone said that to me I'd pick up on it being a SWism. It's a good response but a bit easy to accept as generic.I realized that when I was saying it, but I'd been a while since I'd make such an -ism, so I was, like, "whatever." :rolleyes:

I still use the Jedi Force hand motion when approaching automatic doors at times, but I have yet to try Obi-Wan's version from AOTC on Kamino.

Others that I pepper in "from, time to time" (a la ESB Threepio):

"Perhaps you feel you are being treated unfairly?"
"Oh, no..." (Emperor on Death Star II, stressing the "no" part)
"Ah, Biggs is right! "

Bel-Cam Jos
09-27-2006, 10:13 PM
I was a-gettin' mah oll changed the ether day, and ah done noticed- (Stop. Stop the bad accent, Bel-Cam. Now. :rolleyes: ) Okay... I was getting my oil changed the other day, and I noticed that my mileage going in was 8038. Since usually they put stickers on your windshield 3000 miles ahead of your previous amount as a reminder of when to bring it in again, I thought "cool. I'll have 11138 staring back at me for the next few months" (hey, if 1138 is one well-known SW number, isn't 'one' more fine?). What do they do? ROUND IT DOWN to 11000 miles even. Boooo!!!!!! :mad: ;)

I have been at the end of a few conversations lately where those involved have been spouting SW lines back and forth. Odd thing is, they aren't my friends, but colleagues in a play I'm in.

DarkArtist
09-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Today at work my boss said that he was surprised at how well I have been doiung my job and getting other people to do the things that were expected of them. My answer was "The Force...can have a strong influence on the weak minded."

jlw
09-29-2006, 08:01 AM
I'm rather fond of saying "Possibly" in my Obi-Wan voice from Ep. 2, when Anakin questions whether or not he can feel what's going on, Obi-Wan replies, "Possibly."

Can't believe after 1 year this thread is still active!!!

Oh yeah, and I Darth Vader choke people all the time! ROAD RAGE!!

jlw
09-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Oh yeah, not to make fun of anyone's religion, so, I'll not mention the denomination, but on a local radio station, these morning hosts were talking about a particular religion that is based upon science-fiction, and how it sounded a lot like Star Wars. I called in to the program and in my best Yoda voice said, "[name of religion], load of crap it is, dominate your life it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice!"

Bel-Cam Jos
09-30-2006, 11:09 AM
While these aren't true SW-isms, as they are written literary terms, but on one of the walls in my classroom (that I have designated the "Wall of Popular Culture" ... at least popular to me) I have a few SW examples. Here are the visuals. For the term:

Foreshadowing (providing clues to future events)... Episode I teaser poster with 'Lil ophan Annie and the Vader shadow.

Gender roles (actions or expectations commonly attributed to males/females)... large postcard with AOTC Anakin and Padme with Luke and Leia faded behind them. Also, I included the Topps ROTS trading card titled "Star Crossed Lovers" (since that's a phrase in Romeo and Juliet).

Other non-SW terms. For:

Tragic hero (a hero with certain flaw(s) that lead to pitying situations)... poster of Todd MacFarlane gray Hulk.

Anti-hero (a hero with traits or actions less consistent with positive or heroic ideals)... poster of Wolverine vs. Capt. America from CA Annual #8 by Mike Zeck.

Symbolism (some object representing an overall concept)... poster of John Byne Superman breaking through a metal wall.

Pathos (feeling sadness or pity for someone)... small poster of the Keep America Beautiful TV commerical campaign with Bill 'Iron Eyes' Cody, the Indian with the tear looking on the mounds of garbage and trash.

Paraprosdokian (ending a common phrase or saying in a different or unexpected manner)... poster from a film ( :eek: what? no specific details? :rolleyes: ).

Others not mentioned in detail here: Stereotype (Breakfast Club poster), Characterization (Simpsons poster), Subtleties (metal speed limit sign), Personification (Indiana Jones & T. of D. poster), Allusion (newspaper ad for pizza), Parody (Weird Al Yankovic poster... duh).

[rrrr-ring! ]
Class dismissed. Have your papers on my desk(top) by Monday. :o

pegger
10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
I constantly say to me 3 year old - "Justin.... I am your father" in my Vader voice.

I've also used the "the boy has no patience." (to my wife re:my son) and "Control! You must learn control!" (when he's all frustrated about something)

On his first day of pre-school I told him to "mind what you have learned...save you it can."

...my wife didn't find it as funny as I did.

I constantly tell my staff "Do or do not...there is no try" and "Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him."

I've got to remember the binary language one and the teleport me off this rock one. Those will come in handy....

sith_killer_99
10-12-2006, 02:31 AM
Sometimes when my wife says "I love you" I will reply back with "I know".

The other day my wife told me she loved me and I said "I love you too".

She looked at me and said "You missed your line". LOL I was soo happy to see her after 3 months that I didn't even think about it. I actually had to ask her what she meant!:love:

JON9000
10-12-2006, 06:56 PM
for all the griping about GL's supposedly wretched dialogue, it sure seems to have caught on.

Actually, there is only one phrase I use: "hey, it's me!"

mabudonicus
10-13-2006, 01:38 PM
recently I've taken to saying "Did you hear that?? They've shut down the main reactors!" (and I'm not exactly sure on the next line, but I usually add "we'll be destroyed for sure" or "We're doomed", just for good measure)whenever any seemingly significant yet unexplained sound happens, sometimes substituting "That blast came from the Death Star" in similar situations

Also "It's an old code, but it checks out" for when someone asks for verification of something..

I like that "what I really need/vaporators" line, too, I am most definitely going to use that :beard:&Isobars&

JediTricks
10-13-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't know of anybody who uses prequel phrases, there's your stilted, wretched dialogue.

sith_killer_99
10-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Yep and on top of that ESB had the best...most quotable dialogue and GL didn't even write it!:twisted:

Mad Slanted Powers
10-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Well, for prequel dialog, I like to use Jar Jar-isms. Mesa, wesa, bombad, etc.

Also, as I mentioned before I think, I like Nute Gunray's phrase, "Ah, victory".

"You assume too much" was a recurring phrase in Episode I.

Here's a phrase you can use when dissecting a frog: "I've waited a long time for this my little green friend." or however that line was phrased.

Watto dialog can be fun as well. For instance, the captain of the team that loses the coin toss at the start of a football game can say "you won this small toss outlander but you won't win the game!" Omit outlander if you are the away team.

shammykenobi
10-13-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm quite fond of "Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. A long time" whenever appropriate.

Some stupid girl I used to know contacted me through myspace and asked if any of our mutual friends still called me by a nickname I had about 15 years ago (not gonna tell you the name.) I replied with the obi-wan quote. I don't think she got it. Haven't heard from hear since.

shammykenobi
10-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Oh yeah, I do the hand wave at automatic doors all the time too.

pbarnard
10-13-2006, 10:11 PM
My fiancee wishes she had the Force pull/telekensis power every time I take the remote from her.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-05-2006, 01:04 AM
I was at work distributing some reports that had printed out. I was standing between two desks and I put a report into the basket on my left. I then realized that the report I was still holding should have gone there and that the first report should have gone to the desk on my right. I didn't say it out loud but I was thinking, "No, THIS one goes here, THAT one goes there."

Bel-Cam Jos
11-05-2006, 10:01 AM
When we were discussing point of view and perspective in my classes, the writing prompt I gave them was "Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them." Not a single one got the reference. :cry: Because, NONE OF THEM WAS BORN BEFORE 1990! :eek: Sick [in the head] have I become... old and weak. :sleeping: I have also used Qui-Gon's "your focus determines your reality" and Obi-Wan's "certain point of view" lines as prompts. And "what makes a villain evil?" the day (morning?) after ROTS came out.

JimJamBonds
11-05-2006, 10:04 AM
I don't know of anybody who uses prequel phrases, there's your stilted, wretched dialogue.

Well I for one quote the PT.

2-1B
11-05-2006, 02:58 PM
I like to quote people who rip on the PT, had many laughs doing that last summer during ROTS.

JimJamBonds
11-06-2006, 12:00 AM
While its not from the PT proper I still get a laugh out of this line that Caesar mentioned about a year ago while driving past a gas station:

Execute Phillips 66!

Mad Slanted Powers
11-06-2006, 12:09 AM
I think they have been executed around here. We've upgraded to 76. I always go to ARCO, though.

JediTricks
11-06-2006, 03:11 AM
When we were discussing point of view and perspective in my classes, the writing prompt I gave them was "Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them." Not a single one got the reference. :cry: Because, NONE OF THEM WAS BORN BEFORE 1990! :eek: Sick [in the head] have I become... old and weak. :sleeping: I have also used Qui-Gon's "your focus determines your reality" and Obi-Wan's "certain point of view" lines as prompts. And "what makes a villain evil?" the day (morning?) after ROTS came out.BCJ, you need to leave them now. Right now, the moment you finish reading this sentence, tender your resignation, get away from those squalling brats and their hideous ignorance. :p

I don't know of anybody who uses prequel phrases, there's your stilted, wretched dialogue.Well I for one quote the PT.I don't know of you.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-07-2006, 08:58 PM
BCJ, you need to leave them now. Right now, the moment you finish reading this sentence, tender your resignation, get away from those squalling brats and their hideous ignorance. :p
I can assure you that we are quite safe from their pitiful little band. They are of no concern. No need to run, run far away, to leave this place.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-07-2006, 09:26 PM
I can assure you that we are quite safe from their pitiful little band. This would be a good line to use if you were in a battle of the bands.

DarkArtist
11-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Well since it's raining out, or should I pouring out I felt like Obi Wan on the landing pad of Kamino, especially since I work outside. Today for instance while walking away from my car and running through downpours and crashing through puddles the only voice going through my head was "Oh Not Good."

JimJamBonds
11-08-2006, 08:54 PM
I don't know of you.

Sure you do, how many of my posts have you disagreed with?;)

Kidhuman
11-08-2006, 09:23 PM

At current 2193 and counting.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-08-2006, 10:52 PM
People in my family tend to use SW quotes a lot.

My dad says "Have you ever encountered a (whatever we're talking about) before?" in a Rune Haako voice.
My mom really likes the "Boba, is your father here?" line, but doesn't use it much.
I say "Hello there!" quite a bit. Whether it's the ROTS or ANH version will sometimes depend on the situation. :D I also like to laugh like Palpatine, or say, "Good, good!" since I just think it's fun. :p

If I think of any more, I'll post them.

JimJamBonds
11-08-2006, 11:26 PM
At current 2193 and counting.

Toss in about another 1,000 from SWC.com and my first foray into SSG from the pre AOTC days.

JimJamBonds
11-08-2006, 11:28 PM
I also like to laugh like Palpatine, or say, "Good, good!" since I just think it's fun. :p

I enjoy saying the Palpatine "Why?" from ROTS.

Kidhuman
11-09-2006, 12:24 AM
I like the No, no no from Palpy in ROTS and UNLIMITED POWER!!!!! lines

DarkArtist
11-09-2006, 01:36 PM
So today at work I was talking about how my assistant is the best ever and my co-workers recited the ROTS yoda line "Faith in your new apprentice misplaced may be, as is your faith in the Dark Side of the Force."

JediTricks
11-09-2006, 04:42 PM
I don't know.

:p

Mad Slanted Powers
11-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Mae West: Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Jar Jar Binks: Mesa show you! Mesa show you!

Phantom-like Menace
11-11-2006, 12:30 AM
I work at a motel, and there are three doors into the lobby area. Two are locked from the inside, and despite the fact that they each have signs that say "Please exit/enter through lobby front door," all of the lazy people who don't want to walk an extra twenty feet will invariably try both of them.

Of course I roll my eyes and mumble under my breath, "The door's locked. Move on to the next one."