PDA

View Full Version : ANYTHING Different Than NJO in the Future?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-12-2002, 11:08 AM
I don't recall if the SW Insider had a list of all the upcoming SW books or just the New Jedi Order ones, but is there any other subject matter in the works (except for E2, of course)? I am getting SO tired of "hmm... let's kill HIM!" and "let's destroy THIS planet!" stories. Some have said this is like the downer plots of ESB, but c'mon! Even that "dark" film had some good points and side action.

Anybody else getting fed up with the NJO (Novelists Just Over-write) series?

preacher
01-12-2002, 06:15 PM
Nope.

I got REALLY fed up with all the super weapons that the empire had a seemingly endless supply of in the previous series. Proto-death star, suncrusher, dark saber, eye of palpatine, etc.

The only super weapon I did think was pretty cool were the World Devestators in Dark Empire.

Those stories were absolutely rediculous.

NJO (I might be in the minority here) I enjoy. This is a true war and is putting all the characters to the test. I felt no emotional tie to chewbacca ever, so I didn't take his death to heart like a lot of people did. Honestly I saw it coming. None of the other stories spent as much time focusing on Chewbacca as Vector Prime did, so I knew something terrible was going to happen. At least the dog did save Anakin. Which is why I don't think Anakin is dead; it would make Chewbacca's death totally pointless. Anakin is going to bring balance to everything. Of that I am certain.

When NJO is finished, it will have totally changed the Star Wars galaxy. As long as there is finality by the end of the story arc I will be satisfied. Just for God's sake DO NOT let Kevin Anderson touch it! Ever! He gave us the glut of superweapons...where is the imagination?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2002, 12:15 AM
I like Kevin J., but not the World Destroyers, so it appears we differ on a couple things, preacher! :D Yes, the glut of superweapons wasn't so original, but I just thought that the story lines weren't so dramatic as NJO.

I think the "totally changing the SW universe" aspect is what the publishers are looking to do, but will SW fans enjoy what's left? Can you write a SW story without the key players? Maybe, but I think it could backfire on them.

Darth Evil
01-13-2002, 09:11 AM
I don't see why everyone seems to hate Kevin J, I didn't love his books but I didn't hate them either. The World Devestators were okay, some of the superweapons were cool.

preacher
01-13-2002, 07:51 PM
The big problem I had with Kevin J Anderson (exception being his Jedi Tales series) was his corny forced drama.

Case in point: Han is off to rescue Leia in "Dark Apprentice", Lando comes along and starts getting on Han about the whole "The Millenium Falcon is my ship" business. Han and Lando choose that instant to have the Sabaac winner take the Falcon game to which Han loses.

There were two huge problems I had with this little interlude. First Han is not the type of guy to take a half hour and play a game while his beloved in is danger. Second, Lando has more tact (mind you not much more) than to pick on Han while Han is clearly anguishing over the fate of his wife.

I liked it when Anderson actually wrote action and didn't try to have forced dialogue between characters. The other thing that really grated at me was the fact that in "Dark Saber" he built up the Hutts to be the huge danger, takes up an entire book to write about it and then it is their own stupidity that ultimately gets the Hutts killed, but not before Crix Madine dies a meaningless death. At least Chewbacca's death had a point in that it underscored how seriously he took the life debt thing. Crix choose proved that he was chump.

Lastly that Exar Kun just happened to be on Yavin seemed awfully cheesed as well.

I liked the World Devastators because they had a secondary purpose besides raising havoc. They also refined processed materials into material that was used to mass produce TIEs. Fresh technology that had never even been hinted at in Lucas's world, but still had that Emperor-esque' total disregard for life.

Darth Evil
01-14-2002, 02:36 PM
Okay, I agree with you on the Han/Lando thing, Lando never got serious about wanting the Falcon back before that. Exar Kun didn't just happen to be on Yavin, that's where he was killed and he had lots of dark-side temples there, so that's where you'd expect his spirit to be!

preacher
01-17-2002, 10:49 PM
Don't get me wrong I liked Exar Kun. I just didn't like the fact that as Jedi Tales was being written the third book in Jedi Academy Triology just happened to stumble upon his spirit.

In summary I enjoyed Anderson's take on what occured 4000 years before ANH and apparently Lucas did too because the double bladed saber and the master and apprentice rule were translated to the big screen. I really did not like his poor handling of the main characters and his train of super weapons.

r2dee2
01-21-2002, 12:07 AM
There doesn't seem to be too much on the horizon except Episode II and New Jedi Order books; however there are a few in the juvenile line, if you're interested. Check out the upcoming list here. (http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/bookforce.htm)

Obi-Don
01-21-2002, 03:11 AM
From I read in the SW Insider that Star by Star was the 1/2 way point in the NJO. So I would guess that we have a lot more NJO books coming.

I to am getting a little bored with the NJO books. Its gets a little frusating and I find myself saying,Luke do something for haven's sake. I think its about time for the Jedi to start kicking some real *** and stop playing with the vong.IMO.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-21-2002, 07:25 PM
So is Obi-Don spelled backwards is Kyp Durron? ;) Is the old Def Leppard song "Action Not Words" playing? Maybe the Dark Jedi will join Kyp, and that will prove to Kyp that just randomly attacking the Vong isn't the correct way. Be patient, my Jedi friend, Obi-Don! :zzz:

Rollo Tomassi
01-22-2002, 08:35 AM
NJO is supposed to be the big series that passes the reins from the original heroes (Luke, Han, Leia) into the hands of the next generation (Anakin, Jacen, Jaina...and I guess, Ben) since the original heroes are all 50+ years old. I'm thinking some of them will probably die (Han and Leia) before it's all said and done.

There is one story arc I would like to see after all this NJO business. Closure of Luke and Leia finding out about their mother, Naboo, etc...

Bel-Cam Jos
01-24-2002, 06:57 PM
Rollo, you know that any Prequel-era info will not be integrated into EU until at least AOTC has been released. I expected Luke to "accidently stumble upon" a lost Jedi Holocron that tells the tale of his mother and father, plus the extermination of the Jedi Knights.

Maybe Luke and Leia will turn out to be clones of Ewoklings, or something. :rolleyes:

Sidiously Darth
01-26-2002, 08:08 PM
Yub! Yub!

Rollo Tomassi
01-27-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Rollo, you know that any Prequel-era info will not be integrated into EU until at least AOTC has been released. I expected Luke to "accidently stumble upon" a lost Jedi Holocron that tells the tale of his mother and father, plus the extermination of the Jedi Knights.

Well NJO doesn't end for another two years, then I assume they'll have a few interim books before the next big multi year series. If that one in some way focused on Luke and Leia looking for answers to their past, that'd be cool. Perhaps the Sith are rising again (Kyp?) and Luke needs to find out about how they came to power last time. Enter tantalizing clues about Naboo (Senator palaptine's "homeworld"), which lead to more tantalizing clues about Queen Amidala. If it was another multi year series, the truly revelatory installments could be hitting stores just AFTER the release of III. That way the story could follow both timelines, Luke and Leia finding out about Padme and at the same time the kids dealing with the Sith resurrection trying to get a foot hold in the crumbled remains of the Republic. "Stumbling across a holocron" is a fast and cheesy way out of a potentially interesting and drawn out storyline...

Darth Evil
01-27-2002, 02:58 PM
I hope the Sith do rise again, they are one of the most interesting aspects of Star Wars, maybe Kyp will take the "Darth" title.

El Chuxter
01-28-2002, 12:12 PM
I might be in the minority, but I think Kyp's "Darth" title would be Darth Stupidcharacter.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-28-2002, 12:59 PM
Maybe Dash Rendar will reappear and he and Kyp can fight over who's the worse Han Solo clone! :Pirate: I used to like Kyp, but now he's getting old fast.

pthfnder89
02-04-2002, 11:31 AM
I gave up on the EU Star Wars booksafter the first dozen or so, because starting with Andersons Jedi Academy Trilogy, I just thought most of them were poorly written, or mostly, they just didn't seem at all like the Star Wars I see when I watch the movies.
There were a few exceptions to this, but mostly that was how I felt.

I started reading the NJO at Vector Prime, and I found myself interested, at least enough to buy the next one. (Although I thought Vector Prime was honestly one of the worst 5 Star Wars books Ive read.)

The writing in Vector Prime, I thought was lousy, but it got me interested in the story. So I've read every one since then; some good, some not so good (ALL better than Vector Prime thank goodness) and I'm always interested to see what happens next, even if I don't like the way the story is being told.

pthfnder89
02-04-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by preacher
None of the other stories spent as much time focusing on Chewbacca as Vector Prime did, so I knew something terrible was going to happen. At least the dog did save Anakin. Which is why I don't think Anakin is dead; it would make Chewbacca's death totally pointless. Anakin is going to bring balance to everything. Of that I am certain.

I don't know about that. Even if Anakin is dead, he has still saved thousands of lives since Chewie died. That would still mean Chewies death had some meaning.

The more I think about it, the more I really hope Anakin is dead for good. I've never found his character nearly as interesting as Jacen and Jaina, and I'd rather see them becoming the heirs to the Star Wars legacy. It's not that I hate Anakin or anything, I just think his death and all its consequences would be a LOT more interesting than having him magically come back to life.

But I agree with you Preacher. There is no wy they will leave him dead. Despite all the people who die in the NJO, they are barely ever main characters. With the exception of Chewbacca and Fel'ya the characters are usually introduced in the same book where they die. Whoevers in charge of the NJO I don't think would dare to take a big risk by killing off Anakin.

Too bad...

Bel-Cam Jos
02-04-2002, 01:06 PM
Actually, I think Anakin's birth was an "accident." Dark Empire had one child born to Leia and Han, but the Thrawn trilogy had twins, and supposedly DE happened after Thrawn's exploits, so the continuity had to be adjusted. So, maybe Lucasbooks just said, "let's ditch the 3rd wheel."

And calling Chewbacca a "dog" is a low blow. :( Booo! No respect for the dead?

pthfnder89
02-04-2002, 05:19 PM
LOL, I agree Bel-Cam, be nice to Chewie!

Even though Dark Empire came out before the final Thrawn chapter was published, I'm pretty sure LucasLiscensing probably kept track of any additions to the Solo family. Anyway, aren't the twins actually mentioned at some point in DE? Or am I totally misremembering that...

sith_killer_99
02-05-2002, 04:16 AM
I was expecting Anakin to come back too. Especially with everything we saw on Yavin 4, the build up between him and Tahiri. Not to mention his unique connection with the Vong.

Unfortunatly, with his body now burned, in the traditional Jedi ceremony, it may be a little difficult to bring him back.

It seems like such a waste, to develop a character sooo well and then kill him!

I was also partial to the Barabels! Way cool, and what does Troy Denning do? He kills all but one! I believe that Mr. Denning killed more Jedi in Star by Star than in all the other novels combined!

And for what? Some stupid creature that they could have found other ways to defeat. The underlying story just seemed a little weak to me. But I guess it was better than some "Super-weapon" storyline.

Anyway, at the current rate they are going there won't be ANY new generation of Jedi Knights to continue the ways of the force, they'll all be dead.

pthfnder89
02-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
I was also partial to the Barabels! Way cool, and what does Troy Denning do? He kills all but one! I believe that Mr. Denning killed more Jedi in Star by Star than in all the other novels combined!

I pretty much liked Star By Star, but I agree, I LOVED the Barabels. One thing I've disliked about some of the NJO books is the Jedi spend sooo much time whining and debating about what is right and wrong or light and dark. I understand the debate, but it gets carried away too much some times.

The Barabels were really interesting to see in action. They just seemed to *know* what was right and wrong and they enjoyed being Jedi. I was really sad that most of them died, but hopefully, another author will give some time to the remaining one in one of the future books.

Eternal Padawan
05-06-2002, 11:08 AM
Some tidbits I gleaned at Celebration II:

There will be 18 books total in the NJO series.

The final novel in the NJO series to be written by James Luceno is called "The Unifying Force"

Tim Zahn is in the works to write a novel or two. (Whether they were NJO books is unclear)

When asked what Boba Fett was up to during the Vong invasion, the reply was "not all the books have been written yet."

There are no plans for a follow up series yet, because they are renegotiating the license (which ends in 2003) and are concentrating on NJO and Prequel era books.

Jedi Law Student
05-09-2002, 07:59 PM
I've only read 3 books in this series, although I listened to the audio book of Jedi Eclipse, bringing the total to 4. So, I'll admit my opinion of NJO is based on only a handful of the titles in the series. Here's what I think. It is one thing for a major character to die. I could even accept Anakin's death, if it led to good character development of other lead characters. But what I cannot accept is the ease with which the Yuuzahn Vong are allowed to destroy whole planets. The destruction of Ithor, for instance, was both tragic and unrealistic. At the rate the Vong are allowed to move in the stories, there won't be a single planet left by the time NJO is done. There'll be nothing left of the galaxy that Luke, Han, and Leia fought so hard to save from tyranny.

Here's what I want for the NJO series: the eventual defeat of the Yuuzhan Vong so that there can really be a New Jedi Order. I mean, here's something to explore: Luke and Mara Jade are in love, yet old school Jedi weren't allowed to fall in love. (Discuss amongst yourselves...)

Don't get me wrongo, I like a lot of the ideas in NJO, especially the idea of an enemy that hangs around for longer than a trilogy. (I also like the way the Vong say "Jeedai.") But to all the fine authors writing this series: save our beloved planets, please!

RooJay
05-15-2002, 12:36 AM
I hear you Jedi Law Student! I LOVE the NJO, but you're right about them destroying so many worlds. I would've been able to concede the loss of Ithor (one of my favorite and most unexplored worlds of the EU) if the Vong hadn't also taken Yavin 4! There's just too much Star Wars history wrapped up in that planet for it to be transformed as it will end up being.:cry: I thought for sure that the Jedi Academy would be where the Jedi would make their stand and give the New Republic it's first major victory. Now we've lost Coruscant too? The only hope I have for Coruscant is that the Vong shouldn't be able to destroy ALL of that technology so quickly. Hopefully there will be some of the planet-wide city left when the Republic reclaims it.

Eternal Padawan
05-15-2002, 04:41 AM
Here's something to think about. in AOTC, Obi Wan , Yoda, and mace have a discussion aboiut the direction the Jedi are taking. Yoda implies they have lost focus and their attunement to the Force. Much of this is because of thier preoccupation with being defenders of the galaxy and shirking their "quasi-religious" devotion to the force. The Jedi Council is a direct reflection of this and is symbolic of why the Jedi eventually fall.

Now Kyp and Luke and the others want to reestablish the Council on the NJO.

It seems like Lucas and the EU are headed in different directions where Jedi Councils are concerned. I thought it was funny that Lucas licensing and the novelists got into such a rush to work this new aspect from Phantom Menace into the Star Wars lore, they didn't wait to see what George ultimately had in mind for it. that basically it was bureaucratic and a bad thing for the Jedi and brought about their downfall.

heh. I suppose 20 years down the road, the EU will see the downfall of another Jedi council (sigh) They'll always be a few steps behind....

RooJay
05-16-2002, 06:30 PM
I disagree that Lucas and the EU are going in different directions regarding the Jedi Council. I truly don't think that Lucas is trying to show us that the Council is a bad thing. He's trying to show us that the way the Council operated during the waning days of the Old Republic that lead to it's downfall. He's set them up as a very heroic organization. It's their arrogance that we will see as their ultimate undoing. They feel they cannot be mislead, and that they must always win. The real question is, do the Luke's Jedi in the NJO have the wisdom to prevent this from happening to their Jedi Council. I think that is truly where that council is going. I beleive that when it finally happens in the NJO, the council will be so evenly divided along philosophies that they will more effectively be able to weigh all aspects of a given issue, Whereas, the Jedi Council of the Old Republic was of a single mind and point of view, and for the most part only able to see issues in terms of white and black, without being able to see the shades of gray as many in Luke's Jedi order seem to be capable of. That's just my opinion. What do I know?;)

Darth Nihilus
05-29-2002, 02:49 PM
I just read Vector Prime and I have to say that I found it quite dull - this was the first EU book I read. I dunno, maybe it was just me, but the way it was written it seemed that moon fell right on top of Chewie? The characterisation of the Yuzhan Vong felt wrong, for a "warrior" race they sure cheat a lot And what was the point in having Anakin hyperspace out of the asteroid field, it had no consequence other than to daa another 'moment'. For such an established writer I found R.A. Salvatore to be quite bland.