PDA

View Full Version : May the force be with you....

JimJamBonds
06-11-2005, 05:28 PM
I started reading the OT books recently (I'm at the Battle of Yavin) and I noticed that many people say "may the force be with you." Granted this is a book vs. the movie so there are my occurances of it happening. This got me thinking that even in the OT more (ie different) people say that then in the PT. In the PT we hear Jedi saying may the force be with you but in the OT non force users say the same thing. Now was that more of a "war cry" for the Rebellion? Or some sort of throwback to the days before the Empire? It seems they belived in the force eventhough they couldn't use it.

Thoughts?

Jim Jam

Slicker
06-11-2005, 06:47 PM
I always kinda thought that "May the force be with you" was the same as good luck. You'll notice that when it's spoken you could easily replace it with good luck.

2-1B
06-12-2005, 12:41 AM
General Dodonna and Admiral Ackbar both say it going into battle . . . sounds like the opposite of a universe which has completely forgotten the Jedi.

darthvyn
06-12-2005, 09:34 AM
In the PT we hear Jedi saying may the force be with you but in the OT non force users say the same thing.

Jim Jam

i seem to remember that sio bibble says "may the force be with us" or something to that effect in ep.1... not sure though...

sith_killer_99
06-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Also something to consider. In the PT more of the characters we follow are Jedi. In the OT, there are really only 3 Jedi and 2 Sith throughout all 3 films.

In the OT I always sorta saw MTFBWY as a throwback "good luck" saying. Though it certainly could have close ties to the Rebellion, considering that the Rebellion was born at the same time that the Jedi purge began. It is an interesting connection.

JimJamBonds
06-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks and good thoughts people. I've thought of MTFBWY is a sort of 'good luck' type saying, so is that then all there was to it? Non Force users use it as simply a saying with no quasi relgious meanings to it? This was more of the direction I was intending with my orginal question.

Jim Jam

2-1B
06-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Sio Bibble does not say it. :)

Ji'dai
06-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Sure, I think the non-Jedi just use the idiom without any literal understanding of what it means. As mentioned, it's just a way to say 'good luck,' with maybe a hint of imagined nostalgia for the bygone days of the Old Republic and it's Jedi protectors. The rank and file of the Rebellion seems to be populated with younger men and women who probably grew up under the Empire, so much of what they know of the Republic and Jedi is from secondary sources.

JediTricks
06-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Not to get too religious, but I think it's more like saying "go with God", suggesting that "may God grant you good fortune during your endeavor". "Good luck" really is more about just enjoying success at chance. Non-Force users probably do use the term without its "religious" connotation, but I still think "good luck" is not quite the apt metaphor since it doesn't take the "vaya con Dios" element into the equation, that thing we do when we say "bless you" to a sneeze - nobody really thinks you have the black plague and thus God must bless you to stay alive, but we still say it despite that religious connotation.

megaprime33
06-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Here's another point, if the non-force users are using that phrase, where did they hear it from? There were only 2 jedis left, if we're basing it on the movies, and they were both in seclusion. Ifi you notice though, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the first time a non-force user said it was Han at the end of ANH. Maybe he heard Obi-Wan say it Luke or perhaps Luke saying to someone. I think before ANH no none force users used it. It wasn't until Obi-Wan and Luke showed up that they all started saying it. Of course this again is based on the movies.

El Chuxter
06-14-2005, 10:31 AM
A lot of these folks lived alongside Jedi. Dodonna fought alongside Obi-Wan and Anakin on several occasions as a Republic officer. (EU, but live with it. :p)

I think the elimination of the Jedi would be, for many, a symbol of the Empire's evil, much as the Holocaust is a symbol of Hitler's evil in our world. There are some who were easily swayed to believe the Jedi tried to take over the galaxy and were eliminated as punishment. There are others (Bail, Dodonna, etc) who knew this was not the case. In this sense, saying MTFBWY would be not only an inspirational statement (many people must still believe in the Force), but a reminder of the ideals the Jedi and Rebels both stand for and the many who have died in defense of those ideals.

DarthAngel
06-14-2005, 12:11 PM
A lot of these folks lived alongside Jedi. Dodonna fought alongside Obi-Wan and Anakin on several occasions as a Republic officer. (EU, but live with it. :p)

I think the elimination of the Jedi would be, for many, a symbol of the Empire's evil, much as the Holocaust is a symbol of Hitler's evil in our world. There are some who were easily swayed to believe the Jedi tried to take over the galaxy and were eliminated as punishment. There are others (Bail, Dodonna, etc) who knew this was not the case. In this sense, saying MTFBWY would be not only an inspirational statement (many people must still believe in the Force), but a reminder of the ideals the Jedi and Rebels both stand for and the many who have died in defense of those ideals.

I couldn't agree with you more El Chuxter. You put a very fine point on it.

JediTricks
06-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Well Chux, you just saved me 15 minutes of typing. ;) I'd only add that the Jedi order had been doing their thing in the Republic for "a thousand generations" so the Force had been in the public mindset for tens of thousands of years, it's bound to creep into the public subconscious after that amount of time (again, like saying "bless you" when someone sneezes without any of the original meaning behind it).