PDA

View Full Version : Help Figuring Out Your PET CAT's Behavior

Tycho
06-11-2005, 09:20 PM
This is The thread for cat owners here on SirStevesGuide.com.

We all can share the joys of owning some of our favorite animals!

Or their ownership of us...

To lead off the discussion for the day, I will introduce one of my pet cats to you with a very unusual behavior.

I will leave her name anomymous to protect her identity.

Well, my cats are sisters, and I've raised the two, almost identical black short-hair domestic females together, as they've always been since they were conceived.

While I'm still able to mistake one of them for the other if they are just sitting there on the window sill watching birds or something, their behaviors set them distinctly apart.

One of mine eats a lot more than the other, and I think she might have an acidic stomach because she's really needy when it comes to eating breakfast especially.

I feed them Eukanuba premium dry food (interchanging salmon and lamb chop flavors) for the majority of the day.

Once an evening, they share a can of Fancy Feast wet food for which they will whine and beg for, and even send me to the store for, if I'm even the slightest bit delinguent on feeding them.

Well, the more athletic, easy-going, often shy one will eat most of what's in her side of the dish. The Gobbler? She'll eat her share...

THEN SHE HOWLS IN FRONT OF THE FOOD BOWL AND SEEMS TO SPEAK SENTENCES OF CAT LANGUAGE. I haven't the slightest idea what she's saying.

I wonder if she says a prayer after dinner? It's not hostile. It doesn't warn the shy kitty away. They get along great.

If I go into the kitchen, she pipes down. It's when I'm out of the room, I observe, and definitely hear this behavior. It goes on for over a minute or two. And she's like saying different words - it's not just "me-ow."

What is going on?

2-1B
06-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Cats are C****
--Triumph the Insult Comic Dog

darthvyn
06-12-2005, 09:45 AM
my fiance's cat is obsessed with being in the bathroom with us... something she's been trained to do, however. but i know what you mean with the "cat sentences" because once she's in the bathroom, she jumps up on the sink counter and starts in with that stuff like she's talking to you. only in the bathroom! she wants us to turn on the water she drinks and shuts up. but i'm not too sure that the "talking" is for the water, or if it just distracts her from what she's thinking about...

Tycho
06-12-2005, 12:14 PM
I change my cats' water bowls at least twice a day I think.

If they don't SEE me do it, they'll sit at their bowl in my bedroom and me-ow at me from beside it. That's the signal to change the water to their satisfaction.

When they were kittens they were fascinated with drinking straight from the bathroom sink tap, but that passed once they trained me to change their water dish on demand. They don't speak about it in full sentences with multiple words though. I think there's just a short cat-phrase for "fill her up!"

Still, I'm glad to see someone knows what I'm talking about with these cat "sentences" and their trying to speak different words.

JediTricks
06-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Cats communicate with each other non-verbally, if I remember correctly, so I suspect that any "talking" they do is more to get your attention than anything else. My cat isn't much of a talker except when he gets antsy late at night and does his freak-out - running around the room, rapidly cleaning himself, yelling, exploring, and knocking things over.

BTW Tycho, how did your cats react to this morning's 5.6 earthquake (8:41am)? Mine hid under some furniture and won't come out still even though it was pretty mild in my area (shaking, a little noisy, but nothing fell except 3 CW SA Clones and my Japanese Hot Wheels 1:64th Knight Rider KITT).

Tycho
06-12-2005, 09:13 PM
BTW Tycho, how did your cats react to this morning's 5.6 earthquake (8:41am)? Mine hid under some furniture and won't come out still even though it was pretty mild in my area (shaking, a little noisy, but nothing fell except 3 CW SA Clones and my Japanese Hot Wheels 1:64th Knight Rider KITT).

Mine sleep with me at the foot of my bed and usually wait for any signs of me stiring to make me become fully awake and head for their food bowl.

They didn't react to the earthquake at all, but took full advantage of it waking me up to give me my first order of the day.

Several of my Star Wars figures fell over, most notably the Rebel Fleet Troopers guarding my pink doll house (custom, not-yet-painted Yavin Rebel Base), but though my cats looked to that noise (it was in the other room), they were more interested in seeing if I could make it to the food dish without stumbling.

BTW, I keep their 2-kitty cat carrier in a corner in my bedroom (open, pet books suggest that animals should be comfortable going in and out so they aren't afraid of being in the carrier when it's necessary). Since they sleep with me, if it had been a bad one, it's always in my mind to quickly stuff them in the carrier, throw some shorts on, and get the heck out of my building.

The safest place in an earthquake is out in the open -unless the whole California coast falls into the ocean.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Our family has had cats on and off again from the early 80's on.

In 1988, my sister obtained a black shorthair cat named Sebastien. A year later my brother chose a grey tiger kitten, Cleopatra, for a gift. These cats lived together with our family, and then moved out with my sister to the city after a few years.

When my sister got a guard dog for her protection 3 years ago, the cats lives were now miserable, and my parents, who normally don't like cats (especially the odor they left in our basement which took years to clear) let them spend their golden years together where we live in the suburbs.

These two cats got along famously, even though Sebastien gang tackled Cleo upon laying eyes upon her. They bathed each other regularly and snuggled together on cold nights. When my sister got a third cat named Calla, the two excluded her at every chance they got. While they did make the odd meows near the food dish and such, never did I hear any cat sentences come out of their mouths. The closet to it was Sibby's odd behavior at night.

Sebastien was neutered at an early age and ever since then, must have some "false limb" feelings that amputees have. Almost every night for years, Sibby would wait until we were in bed and would jump on top of Cleopatra and proceed to bite her, like a male tomcat during his mating ritual. Cleo would moan a prolonged meow. Sometimes the moaning and growling would get so loud that one of us would have to come from our beds and shoo Sibby off Cleo. This kept up until Cleo's death almost a year ago.

He meows now whenever one of us comes home from work. He watches the house from 8 to 3pm and the first one to arrive home will be greeted with a barrage of meows. I believe they are a combination of him saying hello, and maybe more to the fact that he is hungry or thirsty.

Speaking of thirsty, he too has a newfound passion for the bathroom. His waterdish may be full yet he prefers a cold drink from the shower faucet. It had gotten so bad, that he would sit by our doors in the morning and at the crack of dawn, like clockwork, he would whine outside our doors for us to get up and get him a drink. About a month ago we purchased a pet barrier that we erect at night to keep him from coming upstairs so that he may not disturb our slumber. On the weekends though, I can sleep in, so I will let him roam the upstairs at night then. :kiss:

Tycho
06-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Very interesting Lowly Bantha Cleaner.

Maybe the cat "sentences" are a detailed threat to the other cat, explaining:

"I have to leave my food bowl right now to personally attend licking my private parts somewhere discrete, but if you dare approach the remnants of my meal when I'm not in the kitchen, I will remove your whiskers one at a time, step on your tail, bite your nails out, and finally remove your eyes. Please take extra care to not make me angry."

Or it could be a prayer:

"Heavenly Father, we thank you for providing humans to serve us. We thank you, The Uber-Cat, the Grand Lion, the King of Canned Food, for providing us with our daily salmon. As we lick the remnants of your blessing off our whiskers, we give thanks and our everlasting promise to control and care for the humans in Your Name. We thank you for automatic can openers and all the other necessities of life for which you provide. We ask you to accept our everlasting gratitude to our Father, in PetsMart, Amen."

LTBasker
06-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Or plotting against you.

They're watching. They're learning. And they will evolve.

-2008-

<_< >_>

chrisc
06-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey they ruled the Egyptians at one point in history, and they helped an army win a fight against them.

My two cats are named Anthony and Annie. Anthony is calm and really friendly, Annie is a total nut case.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Does anyone let their pat cat outside?

I know it may be downright dangerous and unhealthy, but our black cat Sebastien loves to sit by the door and whine. He is 17 years old and just outside our back door is a wooden deck/patio that we like to let him sit on and rest.

We watch him carefully to make sure he doesn't make an escape to the yard and then onto our neighbor's bushes where he can get lost easily. Also, we are aware if he does go on the grass, of the possibilty of fleas, which we don't want into our house (I can say we do a pretty good job of keeping him on the deck, once and a while though he does manage to explore the backyard when our back is turned).

We probably would have never done this, had I not remembered his upbringing. Our family lived on a farm for nearly 10 years and were used to having outdoor cats (although none as pets, although we all favored one outdoor cat named Pumpkin who we would occasionally let in). We obtained Sibby within a year of our move away from the farm and I guess we were used to letting cats explore, so he and his companion Cleo, would wander around the backyard, chase birds, and socialize.

This was good in a way because we gave them the opportunity to explore the outside, and not let them always get cooped up inside the house.

However, this was not without consequences though. Sometimes the cats would go missing at night and be gone for a day or two. During some of their longer expeditions, we worried that we would never see them again. Their probablity of being attacked by a stray or another animal increased. And the worst thing were the fleas that they brought in. After we had to flea-bomb our house one time, we knew we couldn't let them outside anymore.

Soon after that, my sister took the cats to the city when she moved out of our suburban home, where they spent the next ten-eleven years of their lives, cooped up on various top floor apartments, never getting a chance to get outside. Whenever my sister had to travel, we had to watch them here at our house, and the cats would get extremely excited whenever they walked back in our house, because they knew that this was an opportunity for them to have fun and explore.

I related a story earlier on in the thread of how in 2002, my sister who then, was alone, purchased a big mixed-breed dog because she felt things would be safer with it. This was not a healthy relationship for the cats, especially for Cleopatra, who was a scaredy cat by nature. One day, a couple of months after getting the dog, my sis found Cleo in the bathtub laying in a pile of her own urine. She called us to tell of this, and we decided to take Cleo back to where we lived so that we could take her to the veternarian and see what can be done.
Needless to say, we feared the worst. She was 14 years old at the time, and was growing noticably slower and more lethargic.

However, almost as soon as we brought her here, she had gotten better. We did take her to the vet and they did bloodwork to attempt a diagnose but her levels were all near normal. The only thing they noticed were a lot of fleas on her, from the dog, and they theorized that they were draining her blood and bringing on the symptoms.

After a few months, we realized that Cleo needed a companion so without objection, my sister let us take Sebastien in. The two were indeed happier here, away from the dog, and living in the place they grew up. Even though, it had been years since they were away from it, they still had memories of the place and knew all the usual spots to play and hide.

Cleo lingered in good health, for over two years here, until she died suddenly, exactly a year ago today.

Sibby is still with us at 17 and is as spunky as ever. To appease him, we let him sit outside on the deck and relax in the sun. He seems very content to be there.

JetsAndHeels
07-13-2005, 11:34 AM
I just moved to a new house about 2 weeks ago. I have 2 cats, who I wanted to keep inside for a little while until they got used to the new area. One of my cats could not care any less...he pretty much just eats and sleeps, does not really care to go outside except to use the bathroom. The other cat, however loves being outside and he is quite the hunter. For a couple of nights he would cry and scream so loud wanting out, to the point where I could not sleep because he was so restless and bothersome. Finally we decided to let him out and explore a bit, but as soon as we did he took off so fast we could not get him. I drove around the neighborhood, walked through all the surrounding woods, even put an ad in the local paper for him. A week and a half goes by and he still has not shown up and I am beginning to think he is either run over somewhere or has just gotten lost. I was quite upset.
Last night around midnight I hear a thump on the deck and there he is. He was skinny as a rail and had lost his collar with the ID tag on it. I was so glad and relieved to have him back. I fed him and he gobbled it up. He probably had not eaten in several days. Anyway after that he took a long night's rest on the foot of my bed. Glad this story came to a happy ending.
I wish I could know where he was and what he had been doing. I know I won't ever know (I certainly cannot ask him) but I think it would be very interesting to find out what he had been upto for over a week.

Tycho
07-13-2005, 12:03 PM
These stories make me sad. I'm totally against letting cats go outdoors in urban areas - or especially if they are closely loved and pampered house pets.

Cats also tend to "go away" to die. They go away to be alone at this time. I'd rather have the opportunity to have my pets creamated and taken care of with love then be food for....let's not go there.

At 17, I'd keep an animal indoors for sure. They won't be able to help themselves for too much longer.

As a pet owner, you'll have to be prepared for carpet cleaning since at advanced age (17-22) they will lose control of their bodily functions. I plan to have a large bonus room for my pool table in my house one day. The kind of very short non-rug rug material cleans well, and I'll just expect to have to do it 2 x a day - they'll likely make the litter box half the time. (Mine are only just turning 6 years old now though).

But they'll be indoors, loved, and when the time comes, I'll give them lots of room to roam comfortably in, but control how far they'll travel in my house so I don't have "surprises" everywhere. I think I have 10 years before I have to worry about that with my current pets though.

Still, I've taken them 1 at a time, outside to "see the big world." They are very frightened and usually stay right at my feet, or very close by, and they me-ow terribly, like they're terrified. They obviously just like to go as far along my upper balcony / walkway by my apartment as they feel comfortable with, and be able to quickly run back inside if any people come by.

I think they have enjoyed living with me and meeting my friends I have over and that's been good enough for them.

JediTricks
07-13-2005, 08:37 PM
My grandmother's cats have been outdoor cats, 1 was poisoned, 1 got run over, 1 caught feline leukemia and died from it. Cats are domesticated animals, they are not prepared for the outside world, so I don't let mine out.

darthvyn
07-13-2005, 10:54 PM
we just got a new kitten, just FYI... will post pics soon...

darthvyn
07-19-2005, 05:40 PM
here she is! she's hanging out in my lap helping me check the forums. her name is meg. (short for megatron.)

she's really funny. she hops around everywhere. i haven't seen her walk, at least not on the ground. if she's climbing on something she walks, but on the ground it's bunny hops.

she's lying on her back. i never knew a cat that liked to be on it's back and have it's tummy rubbed, but every time i go to pet her, she rolls over!

just added another pic of her on my shoulder. she's there right now, climbed up there as i was re-sizing the pic.

added another one, a more zoomed out shot of her in my lap. you can see how she decided to flip over and let me rub her belly...

Slicker
07-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Cute cat Vyn. Here's a pic of the king of my apartment, Jaymz.

darthvyn
07-19-2005, 05:55 PM
wow, those are LONG legs! the coloration is beautiful. the little lady would love hime... i'll take some pics of mrs. darthvyn's 6 yo cat, akasha. she's named for the title character of anne rice's novel "queen of the damned" and can act like it every now and again. meg(atron) is living up to her name by tormenting all three of us any chance she can get.

Slicker
07-19-2005, 06:18 PM
It's only like 6 months old but it's growing FAST! His coloring is really neat. His paws all have that white on them along with his entire underbelly and his throat. The rest is jet black. Or really, really dark brown if you want to be technical.;)

darthvyn
07-19-2005, 06:21 PM
i managed to get some good pics of akasha. she's such a diva, she doesn't really like to look at the camera.

THEN i managed to get some action shots of meg tormenting akasha. i have to say, it was the most well behaved akasha's been since the little one arrived. she just let meg run up and pounce on her, and run away. really funny. maybe she swatted at meg a little, but i can't say meg didn't deserve it...

i have no idea what meg is doing in that one pic. it's like she's rolling herself up into a little ball like stitch from lilo & stitch...

El Chuxter
07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Vyncent, Akasha looks quite a bit like one of my cats, Lulu. She is the single most talkative cat I've ever seen. She'll repeatedly meow like she's begging for something, but doesn't actually want anything!

Her sister, Bessie, is a much darker calico and is one of the most affectionate cats I've known, except for the fact that she does not like to be held. She's also a bit crazy. Her favorite pastime is sticking her head in the shower while someone's in it and licking the curtain.

We took them over to our new house last night. After quite a bit of frightened confusion, Lulu seemed to adjust pretty well. But as of this morning, Bessie was hiding behind the toilet. (She gravitated in there, so we left the door open so she could hide. But I don't think she's left yet. :()

darthvyn
07-19-2005, 08:41 PM
yeah, akasha is actually a "false-calico" ;) since she's missing one pattern and one color or some crap like that.

when she first got here, meg was hiding under EVERYTHING! the pull-out sofa in the office, the microwave cart in the kitchen, the hutch in the dining room... and finally the little cubby hole in the bottom of the scratchpost that mrs. darthvyn's dad made for akasha a long time ago. of course, akasha's too fat to get in there now, so meg felt very safe in there. she's a lot more bold now.

akasha isn't talkative until she gets in the bathroom, then she starts doing the "cat sentences" until you turn on the faucet for her. meg mewls at the bottom of the desk chair in the office until you invite her up. either by picking her up or patting on the pull-out sofa and then your lap. pretty funny...

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-20-2005, 04:22 PM
I enjoy seeing all the feline pictures--there are no ordinary cats; every cat has a personality, a story, a life. Keep 'em coming.

Here are some pictures from the last two years of so of Cleopatra (grey tabby) and Sebastien (all black).

Sibby and Cleo pose before having some firecracker fun.

Sibby's favorite watering hole (dang I need to scrub those tiles).

Sibby after a very productive day.

Sibby during a candid moment.

darthvyn
07-31-2005, 09:33 PM
so, we think meg's part dog and part bunny now, because she still hops around, and she also carries stuff around in her mouth like a dog. she's strange...

darthvyn
08-06-2005, 01:41 PM
here's some more funny pics of meg... not very bashful nor graceful...

the first one is how i found her sleeping, and the second one is her waking up when i tried to get another angle...

Slicker
08-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Great pics Vyn. Cats seem to be comfortable in the most unusualy positions. As I type my cat is sleeping in my roommates kids baby carrier which itself is sitting on the kitchen table. Normally he isn't allowed to get on the tables but I made an exception with this one.

Slicker
08-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Here's a pic of Jaymz sleeping in the unfolded laundry...

DarthQuack
08-13-2005, 08:06 PM
I had a cat and I named her Pepper, unfortunately she died last year and it makes me sad to think of her. :sad:

Bobajames
08-16-2005, 01:40 PM
THEN SHE HOWLS IN FRONT OF THE FOOD BOWL AND SEEMS TO SPEAK SENTENCES OF CAT LANGUAGE.
What is going on?

i know this isn't a cat, but it still made me think of this video. It's hilarious.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/nobark.html

darthvyn
08-16-2005, 04:34 PM
i know this isn't a cat, but it still made me think of this video. It's hilarious.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/nobark.html

holy crap! it sounds like a monkeydog!

Slicker
08-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Here's a video I just uploaded. It's of a cat and this is one of the reasons I love 'em. Worst jump ever. (http://media.putfile.com/vid_stupidcat)

darthvyn
08-17-2005, 11:20 AM
that is awesome... not just because of the flip, but because of the way the cat carfully planned... not like it just ran and jumped, but really checked out the situation and calculated, and THEN fell flat on it's face... awesome.

Slicker
08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
I like the full extension when he falls and it looks like his body stays that way until he hits the ground. The sound is great too.

Ji'dai
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
I don't have a cat and don't care for them, but this morning I discovered a cat lying in my driveway with a Cambells soup can stuck on it's head. He kept trying to pull it off with his front paws but only succeeded in scratching part of the label off.

Apparently the cat scratched through my garbage bag to get at the goodies inside some time during the night. He must have been trying to lick the leavings from inside this soup can when he got his fool head stuck.

I tried pulling it but couldn't free him and he would get aggravated and start squirming, trying to run away. He couldn't breathe very well and wouldn't get far with that heavy can on his noggin anyway. I thought about putting some butter or crisco on his neck to grease 'im up but decided to try to cut the can with some tin snips. I started on the opposite end, and I was surprised that he laid still while I did this. I got a fairly big hole cut into the can and could see his face and then he jerked back and pulled his head from can. I think he belongs to neighbor, I saw him in their front yard this evening when I went for a walk. I guess he's out for another nocturnal adventure.

I should've taken a picture but didn't think of it until afterwards. It was kinda funny seeing this cat with a can on its head. I guess I'll have to put my garbage inside another container or something from now on.

CaptainSolo1138
08-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Good lookin' out, Ji'dai! That takes care of your good deed for the day! :)

Now to find a seagull with a six-pack holder on it's neck.....

Ji'dai
08-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Good, I could use some positive karma. Though all that tuna I bought with the dolphins in it will probably do me in. I can't help it, dolphin gives tuna the purrfeckt flayvore.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-19-2005, 12:24 AM
My cat Sebastien was born in 1988 and hence is a child of the 80's. For further proof look at this picture from back in the day when he was sporting an ultra radical mullet!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Heaven's newest feline friend.

Sebastien Mullins

1988-2005.

:cry:

InsaneJediGirl
02-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat LBC (even if it is a bit late)

I was watching ROTS on the computer last night and one of our cats Quinn was watching. She loves TV/the computer for some reason.Anyways,it gets to the scene where Anakin is about to choke Padme and they are arguing.Right before Anakin chokes Padme,Quinn turns to me and lets out the most pitiful meow I have ever heard before she turned back to the computer screen. Apparently poor little Quinn knew what was going to happen.

Tycho
02-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Hehe. My cats like the OT better and respond to R2-D2 and Chewbacca. They really talk to Chewie sometimes.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat LBC (even if it is a bit late)

I was watching ROTS on the computer last night and one of our cats Quinn was watching. She loves TV/the computer for some reason.Anyways,it gets to the scene where Anakin is about to choke Padme and they are arguing.Right before Anakin chokes Padme,Quinn turns to me and lets out the most pitiful meow I have ever heard before she turned back to the computer screen. Apparently poor little Quinn knew what was going to happen.

Thank you for the condolences IJG.

Some cats are mesmerized by T.V. and computer screens. My cat Sebastien would stare at our big screen t.v. and from what I can tell, was captivated by what was on the screen. My other cat Cleo was quite the opposite. She wouldn't flinch when you screamed her name and nothing would phase her.

JediTricks
02-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Back in the late '80s, my previous cat would attack the screen whenever we'd play Nintendo Duck Hunt, just that 1 game.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Back in the late '80s, my previous cat would attack the screen whenever we'd play Nintendo Duck Hunt, just that 1 game.

Don't lie JT, there was no chance that your cat would attack the screen because you used to go right up to the screen to point the gun at the ducks, leaving no room for the cat to attack. :pleased:

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Dude, I was the Duck Hunt master! I was popping ducks and clay pigeons from way back, and without using the second gun to control the ducks! I would always shoot at that stupid dog, even knowing it'd never work.

Tycho
02-18-2006, 04:14 AM
OK, what's with cats and vacuum cleaners? I just move mine before I even plug it in or turn it on, and they are growling and hissing at it. It's so funny.

Lord Malakite
02-18-2006, 11:46 AM
OK, what's with cats and vacuum cleaners? I just move mine before I even plug it in or turn it on, and they are growling and hissing at it. It's so funny.
Little kids tend to do the same thing, well except the growling and hissing part. More like crying and clinging on to others for dear life.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-18-2006, 11:55 AM

My theory is that they are extremely scared of household items that are used for cleaning purposes--i.e. the vacuum cleaner, but also they are scared to death of brooms, which is strange, seeming there are no loud noises or anything electrical in nature associated with them.

If ever I needed to get my cat to move (like the many times he was caught in our garage) I would get out the broom and slowly approach him. He would immediatley stop and focus on the broom and his knees would quiver. As soon as I got close, he would dart in the opposite direction.

Tycho
02-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Too funny, Lowly Bantha Cleaner!

UKWildcat
02-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Here is my cat "Domino". He has one tiny little white spot, but predominately black in color (I named him when I was like 10). He is almost 15 years old. Strictly an indoor cat.

He has several nicknames but I will usually call him "Little Man".

Tycho
09-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Announcing a Major Breakthrough!

Actually several:

I have an over-eater who throws up because she is nervous and tries to finish 1 simple can of wet food I give her and her sister as a treat each evening - they regularly eat Eukanuba dry food.

So I take the food bowl away from them mid-meal (or when Angel, the non-barfer, is done). I then have Isabel take a break and give them both back the food bowl to finish about a 1/2 hour later. This has worked for 2 weeks with no throw-up incidents (knock on wood).

So anyway, I did the same process last night, as I have initiated doing for several weeks. I was tired and got into bed and Isabel runs into my room to sleep at my feet like she always does. I wasn't going to fall alseep right away and I knew the kitties hadn't finished their treat - so I got up and very quietly put the bowl back down from the top of the refrigerator where I hide it from my little walking garbage disposals cats.

Angel, the quiet one, comes back and chows down a little more.

Well, I get back in bed - Isabel is still there - and Angel starts "talking." No joke. I thought Isabel did this - making her pained sounds that suggested she was out of room in her tummy and terribly miffed that she couldn't finish all her food. I also even considered that she was praying to the God of Tuna Fish or giving alms in some sort of wierd cat religion. But this was the first time Angel did the same thing (she has a distinctly softer voice).

She was calling her sister to meal time just like the velociraptors do in Jurassic Park movies!

I never really thought of that before, because when Isabel used to do that, Angel was done eating and ignored her, so Isabel would go on and on with that moaning act, to no avail - until often she ate all the food herself (then periodically threw up).

Well, this time when Angel was the one at the dish calling, Isabel came running! It was so cute that they shared their food. Awwww.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Tycho, I read your story and I grinned ear to ear. It's wonderful to see cats look out for each other, whether it's with food or giving each other baths or "calling" for them when they are lonely.

I had three cats at one point. Two of them got along famously, snuggling up next to each other all the time, playing and fussing together, following each other constantly, and those both shunned the third one by generally just hissing at her presence, and giving the occasional swat at her (I think this was so because the 3rd cat was a late addition to our household). So I've seen both sides of the spectrum. But it warms your heart to hear stories of this.