PDA

View Full Version : "Did you press the stop button?" (merged)

darko666
06-13-2005, 11:20 PM
in the scene where Anakin and Obi-Wan are in the elevator and are about to rescue Palp, and the elevator all of suden stops, a few lines of dialouge are spoken between the two jedi.

Obi: (elevator stops)did you push the button?

Anakin: no, did you?

now why the hell would Anakin respond by saying, "no, did you", if Obi-Wan asked him first. If Obi-Wan hit the button to stop the elevator then he wouldn't have asked Anakin in the first place.

edit: i actually don't hate the scene, just the dialouge, i needed to fix that.

JimJamBonds
06-13-2005, 11:44 PM
I think it was suprise by Anakin that the elevator stoped. Both Anners and Obers was shocked and thought for some odd reason the other day done it. Aniakin should have said 'would it help if I got out and pushed?' :D

Jim Jam

Slicker
06-14-2005, 01:21 AM
You know what Darko that one bugged the hell out of me also for the same reasons.

2-1B
06-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Awesome scene, I love that one. Fun and whimsical. :)

Kidhuman
06-14-2005, 01:29 AM
I thought it was funny, not annoying at all. As partners in arms during the war, I am sure they probaly pulled a few pranks on each other. It was getting and the friendship and times they shared.

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2005, 10:30 AM
I didn't find this dumb or annoying at all. How many times a day do we answer questions without thinking. Had Ani thought about what he was saying I'm sure he wouldn't have asked it, the same goes for us. How many times have you heard people say 'What?' when you've asked them something only to have them answer before you can repeat the question? They obviously heard you the first time, they were just answering without thinking about it first.

JimJamBonds
06-14-2005, 10:42 AM
I liked it because it showed the friendship between Obi and Ani. In the middle of a serious situation they can joke around a bit. Obi's "spring the trap" and Anners "no loose wire jokes" comments were great showed they had moved beyond their Master/student relationship. Also it makes their duel all the more 'powerfull' since they were friends, brothers etc.

Jim Jam

darko666
06-14-2005, 12:51 PM
but as to say they were being funny with each other is a way to get past the point of it being ridiculous. all of your answers are duley noted, but Anakin and Obi didn't seem to have a sly repsonse to one another. they seemed serious to me. now, if they acted that way similar to when they have the spring the trap discussion, i could agree with you guys. but Anakin seemed very clear on what Obi-Wan asked him. a better response would have been "no i didn't, r2 can you get the elevator working", or something like that.

i'm tired of discussing problems with the movies coinciding with each other, so i figured i would look for other things to complain about. and this always bugged me. it's right up there with the conversation of "who is more beutiful" between Anakin and Padme in their suite. but i'm surprised i got this many reponses.

2-1B
06-14-2005, 01:12 PM
In that very same scene we get the AWESOME "no loose wire jokes" routine between the two of them so I guess that's why I think the Elevator Stopping Issue works within that context. :)

DarthQuack
06-14-2005, 01:33 PM
That was a great scene along with the part when they are trapped in the ray shields and Obi-Wan made a crack about R2-D2. :)

Rocketboy
06-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Maybe he meant "Did you Force push the button?"

;D

JediTricks
06-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Perhaps Anakin was asking if he bumped into the button by mistake.

I didn't feel anything that was "great" in this scene, the dialogue felt flat and too "real world" for me, I didn't hate the scene but unlike Rick McCallum junior ;) here, I really didn't get anything positive out of it either. (Seriously Caesar, is that why your avatar and quote are Rick McC, you are parodying him with those and your upbeat tone of your posts? I'm not joking, so forgive me if you are, but I saw a possible connection and am exploring it - it'd be a funny as hell long-term bit. :D)

darko666
06-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Seriously Caesar, is that why your avatar and quote are Rick McC, you are parodying him with those and your upbeat tone of your posts? I'm not joking, so forgive me if you are, but I saw a possible connection and am exploring it

i was thinking the same thing.

2-1B
06-15-2005, 01:58 AM
(Seriously Caesar, is that why your avatar and quote are Rick McC, you are parodying him with those and your upbeat tone of your posts? I'm not joking, so forgive me if you are, but I saw a possible connection and am exploring it - it'd be a funny as hell long-term bit. )

Thanks for the interest. :)

Well, honestly, it's a bit of both parody AND genuine respect.

Parody - Rick McCallum is obviously a big goof. Remember a few years back when I did my series of Rick McAvatars ? Kind of like that . . . playfully poking fun at the lug. The sig line, for that I credit my friend (and newly registered poster although long time reader Jim Jam Bonds) because I had actually forgot about that quote.

I'm not sure specifically but it was either before or after the ROTS midnight show, I think it was maybe later that day when Jim Jam busted out that quote and of coursed I laughed my butt off. So I went home and fired up the TPM documentary to relive that moment and also the part where he's on the phone talking it up with Ewan. Funny stuff.

And now pretty much every time we go to the theater for ROTS, somebody feels the need to pop off that comment, plus it works best when you hold your arms out like The Rick.

Respect- I genuinely respect the man, he seems like a pretty decent guy. :) I know, I know, he is the scourge of many SW fans because he's a "yes man" but all that aside, I think he seems like a top bloke. Furthering the timing of my sig line tribute was a reply to a fan letter I sent in Fall 2003 to McCallum, didn't expect to get anything back (I try to collect SW autographs through the mail) and no kidding, on May 19th no doubt, I got home from ROTS viewing number 3 and almost a year and a half later there was my SASE with a photo of The Rick signed to me along with a letter from his production assistant. I know, it's quite possible that some secretary signed it BUT it took so long to get it and I know for a fact that George himself doesn't sign but he DOES have a secretary send you a photo of him with Jango along with a letter from said secretary . . . so I am going with the hope that if Rick wasn't going to send out authentics, he wouldn't bother with a secretary just like George doesn't. And besides, the guy can't get THAT much fanmail, can he ? :crazed:

So to recap, yes I am parodying the guy but I do it with a fun and jovial tone and I am NOT mocking him. I really like the guy. :)

We could go into a whole debate over whether he was good or bad for SW and I really don't feel like it . . . but I will just say that if indeed he is a Yes Man, well that's what George wanted so if The Rick decided to call out Lucas for any crappy ideas, he would have been replaced with someone who would be more subservient. lol
Really, for better or for worse I believe Rick McCallum was only used in terms of financial areas of producing, as far as scheduling and coordinating stuff. :confused:

sith_killer_99
06-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Obi-Wan: Did you push the button?

Anakin: No, did you?

Obi-Wan: Yeah, I was just checking to see if you pushed it first....here's your sign!

JimJamBonds
06-15-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure specifically but it was either before or after the ROTS midnight show, I think it was maybe later that day when Jim Jam busted out that quote and of coursed I laughed my butt off. So I went home and fired up the TPM documentary to relive that moment and also the part where he's on the phone talking it up with Ewan. Funny stuff.

And now pretty much every time we go to the theater for ROTS, somebody feels the need to pop off that comment, plus it works best when you hold your arms out like The Rick.

I believe it was while we were waiting to get inside before the midnight showing that that line was first said. After getting back I too watched those nuggets! Also I'd like to throw in Caesar that The Rick's comment has many practical applications, such when getting out of the car in the parking lot of K Mart, thats a great time to use it! lol lol lol

Jim Jam

2-1B
06-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Yeah, and it's even better when some dude is sitting in his car with the windows open and then looked back in surprise when Jim Jam screamed that in the parking lot. lol

JimJamBonds
06-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah, and it's even better when some dude is sitting in his car with the windows open and then looked back in surprise when Jim Jam screamed that in the parking lot. lol

Don't forget about that old lady that looked my way either!!! :D

Jek Porky 2002
06-16-2005, 11:20 AM
About the McCallum quote.

On the region 2 DVD we actually got "This is awsome!" it doesn't even sound edited!

Does he actually say it on the Region 1 version? Or is it bleeped?

2-1B
06-16-2005, 12:08 PM
It's not bleeped but the sound is cut down. Bunch of squares. :rolleyes:

The "beat" is still there, though. :)

General_Grievous
07-19-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm watching ROTS for the kazillionth time, and I keep getting distracted by that stupid dialogue between Ani and Obi Wan on the elevator.

Obi: Did you press the stop button?
Ani: No. Did you?
Obi: No.

Obi Wan should have said "If I asked if you pressed the button, then that must mean I didn't press it, schmuck! And you're supposed to be the Chosen One?"

Oh, well....George Lucas and his brilliant dialogue....

2-1B
07-19-2006, 09:49 AM
I think that scene is meant to be humorous, not a well thought out discussion on the possibilites of who stopped the elevator.

Qui-Long Gone
07-19-2006, 12:14 PM
I think that scene is meant to be humorous, not a well thought out discussion on the possibilites of who stopped the elevator.

I for one crack up at the dialogue in ROTS....

2-1B
07-19-2006, 01:20 PM
I for one crack up at the dialogue in ROTS....

Good, then George has done his job. :D

JediTricks
07-19-2006, 03:29 PM
You ever get the feeling that we're living in cyclical time? :p

Qui-Long Gone
07-19-2006, 05:47 PM
You ever get the feeling that we're living in cyclical time? :p

Not sure how to answer that without it being cyclical...:lipsrsealed:

JEDIpartner
07-21-2006, 02:17 PM
I think everyone has offered a reasonable explanation for the dialogue. i'd buy any of those reasons. :)

Qui-Long Gone
07-21-2006, 04:58 PM
I think everyone has offered a reasonable explanation for the dialogue. i'd buy any of those reasons. :)

What about the reasonable explanation that Lucas can't write dialogue for sh## (but he can tell a great story), so the issue will never resolve....

JEDIpartner
07-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Well, yeah... there's that. But I think the line was written with the intent of slapstick comedy to a certain degree. I mean, it's not like similar dialogue hasn't eminated from other characters' mouths in other films. *shrug*