PDA

View Full Version : POTJ vs. EP1

sith_killer_99
01-12-2002, 06:12 PM
Ok, just about everyone agrees that the POTJ line is better than the EP1 line. So let's look at the facts behind HOW and WHY this line is superior.

1. More carded figures less B.S.

EP1 suffered from over merchandising. There were soooo many extras it was difficult, and expensive, to keep up. Not to mention foreign exclusives and those HTF later releases.

2. Combined OT and EP1 characters, plus a few EU.;)

This was a wise idea. We got a pretty even mix of EP1 and OT characters. Almost 50-50! Some people were upset with the EU (Art Concept) figures, but I didn't mind too much. If we have to get yet another Darth Maul it may as well be original.

3. More figure to the line.

There were 50 EP1 figures including all 4 versions of the Battle Droids. The POTJ line currently has 53, with BoShek, R4-M9 and Teebo on the way. Possibly Lott Dodd and Nute Gunray (Holograph). This would bring the number up to 58!

However, in all fairness, several of the figs from the POTJ line were originally schedueled for EP1 release.

4. What we want.

The POTJ line finally saw the release of several figures/items we have been wanting for some time. Here are the one's I've seen mentioned:

Bespin Guard
Boss Nass (more to scale)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Ellorrs Madak (Duros Fan Choice)
FX-7
Gungan Warrior
IG-88
Imperial Officer
Jek Porkins
K-3PO
Ketwol
R2-Q5
Rebel Trooper
Scout Trooper
Sandtrooper
Sebulba
Shmi Skywalker
Tessek
Zutton
BoShek
R4-M9
Amanaman
Luke Bacta Tank
Boba Fett
B-Wing
TIE Interceptor
AT-ST (for those who still need one)
Snow Speeder (Battle Damaged with Dak)
TIE Bomber
Bespin Freeze Chamber

I'm not saying that EVERYONE wanted these, but many were happy to see 'em.:D

5. Better sculpts.

I have to agree that for the most part this line had more accurate and detailed sculpts. However, the evolution really began with the EP1 line. Look at figures like Watto. WOW talk about detail! Then again Theed Amidala is IMO a dead on sculpt of Natalie.

6. Better articulation.

While we have seen some improvement in this area Hasbro again began this evolution with EP1. POTJ still suffers from lack of knee articulation on many figures. What's worse is these new "Action" poses that leave figures looking great in some poses and HORRIBLE in others. We really need more figures like Rebel Fleet Trooper and Zutton.
So, IMO while EP1 started many of the innovations that we see today, it was sort of a testing ground for the POTJ line. Hands down POTJ beats the pants off of EP1.

So what do you think?

Jayspawn
01-13-2002, 12:53 AM
Yeah I like POTJ better myself.

PloKoon2385
01-13-2002, 03:02 PM
I completely agree to that. POTJ set the new standard for Star Wars figures. Advice to Hasbro: Dont fix it if it's not broken!

GNT
01-13-2002, 10:30 PM
Plus distribution was a bit better,if you missed a figure it would be repacked into a later case so that you could get it,this also caused Pegwarmers though ;) POTJ is way better,but heaps more expensive than EP1 toys though!

Darkross
01-15-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by GNT
Plus distribution was a bit better,if you missed a figure it would be repacked into a later case so that you could get it,this also caused Pegwarmers though ;) POTJ is way better,but heaps more expensive than EP1 toys though!

I don't know what things cost over there in Australia...but I found that the POTJ line was cheaper than or about the same as the Episode I line. What made the EpI figures cost so much was that stupid com-tech chip. What a crappy pack-in if I've ever seen one. Now since Hasbro flooded the market with EpI toys...so as to create a ton of peg warmers...I remember this past summer...seeing EpI com-tech figures (Obi-Wans, Battle Droids, Darth Mauls, etc...) all selling at Wal-Mart for $1.00 CANADIAN. That's about $0.30 US each...compared to the POTJ figures which were selling at $8.95 each.

But YES I would agree that the POTJ line was MUCH better than Episode I line....mainly because I could not find any of the classic figures in the EpI line. (HA, HA, HA!)

JetsAndHeels
01-15-2002, 01:17 PM
By far the POTJ line is better than the EP1 line. Just the packaging alone is great. The bright green and yellow with the background of ObiWan and Vader is a nice touch.
I think the sculpts are great also. Figures like the Eeth Koth and the new Amidala in her Black Decoy outfit are awesome. I hope this line continues for a while because the EP2 line will probably not be as good.:crazed:

Darkross
01-15-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
By far the POTJ line is better than the EP1 line. Just the packaging alone is great. The bright green and yellow with the background of ObiWan and Vader is a nice touch.
I think the sculpts are great also. Figures like the Eeth Koth and the new Amidala in her Black Decoy outfit are awesome. I hope this line continues for a while because the EP2 line will probably not be as good.:crazed:

It's not likely that you will see this line around much longer since the new packaging is replacing the POTJ line. All figures that will be released in the future (as soon as the Ep 2 figures are released) will be released under the new packaging...thus spells the end of the POTJ line. Therefore...you will see figures from the classic trilogy and the prequels released with the new packaging.

SithDroid
01-15-2002, 03:59 PM
I liked pretty much all of the POTJ line. The sculpting was way better than preious lines. However the new EP2 stuff doesn't look too promising. And another thing, is it me or is a blue card a bad idea? They are only bound to fade into a different color. Personally I think they should stick with either a red card or a green card.

Darkross
01-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
I liked pretty much all of the POTJ line. The sculpting was way better than preious lines. However the new EP2 stuff doesn't look too promising. And another thing, is it me or is a blue card a bad idea? They are only bound to fade into a different color. Personally I think they should stick with either a red card or a green card.

Well I actually like the new packaging...but I would tend to agree with you that the colour could fade. Not only that...but it will be difficult to spot them quickly in stores...since they will blend in with the other toys on the shelves...but then again...maybe this is Hasbro's tactic...where some kid mistakenly picks up a SW action figure when they thought they picked up another brand of toy? Who know???