PDA

View Full Version : British Acts Breaking The States

Jek Porky 2002
06-14-2005, 08:46 AM
Are there any?

During the 60s, 70's, 80's and certain parts of the 90's (Spice Girls) there were so many British acts that dominated the global music industry. i.e. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Duran Duran, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, ELO, Black Sabath, The Police, The Who, Elton etc... oh and let's not forget Dexy's Midnight Runners!

Nowadays it is the American Hip Hop acts that rule the world wide charts and us Brits don't get a look in. It's actually quite depressing.

I know that Dido is pretty well established over there, in fact I think she had already had a string of hits in the States before we had even heard of her.

I think I heard that Daniel Bedingfield did ok, and Craig David had one or two minor hits. But what about all the others?

Coldplay - I believe are making a bit of a name for themselves.

Robbie Williams - Huge, massive superstar in many countries, probably our biggest star at the moment. Tried to break the states on many occasions, but I don't think they were intrested.

Stereophonics - Popular Welsh band, had a shed load of top ten hits in UK, and I think at least one No. 1 album.

Keane - Up and coming, some very catchy tunes using pianos and guitars.

Franz Ferdinand - Scottish group, not my favorite, but popular none the less, I think they have had a minor hit in the States, reaching the dizzy heights of no. 94 on the Hot 100!

The Darkness - FANTASTIC! I love these, they're putting the fun back into guitar music, all of the above are good acts, but a bit bland. Sometimes even boring.

McFly - Much more pop than all of the others, but it has to be said they are a guilty little pleasure of mine! They do write all of their own music and play their own instruments, but they are very manufactured. Some catchy tunes though!

Anyone heard of these? Why do you think British music is dead in the states?

Captain Spoon
06-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Who needs music from GB when we have such gifted music talents like Chingy, and Hillary Duff. I mean with artists like that who needs the Stones or the Who?

2-1B
06-14-2005, 12:03 PM
I wish another great band would come out of the UK. :( I'm not a fan of whiny rock so some of these current bands don't cut it for me.

Rocketboy
06-14-2005, 02:01 PM
While she isn't a rocker, Joss Stone is another Brit doing pretty well here in the US.

JimJamBonds
06-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Granted she isn't rock but what about Kelly Osbourne??? :p :p :p

I'm kidding of course!

Jim Jam

Jek Porky 2002
06-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Ah yes, I forgot about young Joss!

Devo
06-14-2005, 05:23 PM
What about The Killers? Aren't they british? Forgive me if I'm wrong.

And Snow Patrol - where are they from? I think I heard northern Ireland which, for some, makes them british.

TheDarthVader
07-06-2005, 12:09 PM
I agree. There are many good British bands making a name for themselves here in the United States. I especially like Keane and Cold Play.

B.
TDV

Devo
07-06-2005, 05:48 PM

I've since heard that The Killers are american.

arctangent
07-07-2005, 05:27 AM
the killers are indeed american, although they sound pretty british. i was surprise at seeing the kaiser chiefs in philly on the live8 concert, although my brother said they are doing quite well in american. any of you u.s. chaps heard of them? they are really have that late 70's/early 80's punk spirit and are pretty good.

Exhaust Port
07-08-2005, 02:34 PM

And Snow Patrol - where are they from? I think I heard northern Ireland which, for some, makes them british.

Who knew that Devo was from Ireland. ;)

The Overlord Returns
07-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Snow Patrol are from Scotland, I believe.

Quite frankly, the state of music in today's world is terrible. So very rare to find good bands that are given a chance by the general public. We're a sad, sad bunch these days.