PDA

View Full Version : Rain on Coruscant

JimJamBonds
06-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Ok this is a bit silly but its something I got to wondering about after seeing ROTS on Sunday. After Palps picks up Vader they go back to Coruscant, when we see Palps shuttle landing and they are walking in on the landing platform we see that it is raining. While this in itself is no big deal Coruscant is a city wide planet. From what we are told there is no green places, lakes, wetlands etc so where does the water go? There is no place for it to run off it would just collect in the lowest place possible and continue to rise and flood the people living in the lower levels. Is the Outlander Club closed do to flooding everytime it rains? So is this what happens? Or is the water pumped off planet? Perhaps it is stored in underground collectors for use by the planets citizens?

Jim Jam

darko666
06-14-2005, 11:56 AM
i'm sure there is a sewer system in Coruscant right below the outlander area.
but maybe thats a way for higher ups of Coruscant to get rid of the scum below the city without having to go down there themselves.

DarthAngel
06-14-2005, 12:19 PM
i'm sure there is a sewer system in Coruscant right below the outlander area.
but maybe thats a way for higher ups of Coruscant to get rid of the scum below the city without having to go down there themselves.

I would have to agree with you drako666. I remember reading 'Shadows of The Empire', and there was mention of a sewer/drainage system on the planet. It was also said in 'Shadows' that Prince Xizor's castle had a water collection unit in one of the sub-basements. Who knew that EU was good for some things.

DarthQuack
06-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Yea, I just finished Shadows myself and thats where all the denziens hang out :) down below.

JimJamBonds
06-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks all, I know it was a bit of a silly question but it was something I was wondering about. :crazed:

Jim Jam

Slicker
06-14-2005, 05:12 PM
And if I'm not mistaken I think I also read somewhere that Coruscant still has some natural lakes although they are built over they still exist.

As for Shadows (in my best Comic Book Guy voice) "Best Star Wars book ever"

stillakid
06-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Forget where it goes...the real question is where does it come from? With no standing oceans to evaporate moisture from, how do clouds form? Not only that, but vast expanses of water (oceans) are part of an ecosystem in which the air that we breath is made breathable. Without standing water of that kind, where does the O2 come from? And the cooling/warming effects of oceans also help provide wind patterns that help create "weather." So without standing oceans, where does the windy thunderstorm come from?

JimJamBonds
06-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Forget where it goes...the real question is where does it come from? With no standing oceans to evaporate moisture from, how do clouds form? Not only that, but vast expanses of water (oceans) are part of an ecosystem in which the air that we breath is made breathable. Without standing water of that kind, where does the O2 come from? And the cooling/warming effects of oceans also help provide wind patterns that help create "weather." So without standing oceans, where does the windy thunderstorm come from?

Good points there Stilla, I don't recall ever seeing a giant air lock and gate like in Spaceballs.;) As for wind patterns? Perhaps the traffic would have something to do with it? Although that is really stretching it!

Jim Jam

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2005, 10:36 AM
An article on the Holonet one time discussed why a certain season was started earlier than normal. Basically, the seasons are manipulated and planned by someone on planet. In short, they're programmed. So when they feel they need rain someone pushes a button and a "false" rain cloud is produced.

Yeah, it's EU and a way to explain things away but I like it!

JimJamBonds
06-15-2005, 11:37 AM
An article on the Holonet one time discussed why a certain season was started earlier than normal. Basically, the seasons are manipulated and planned by someone on planet. In short, they're programmed. So when they feel they need rain someone pushes a button and a "false" rain cloud is produced.

Although why are season's needed, its not as if there are crops to be grown or tourists come to watch the leaves turn color. :p I remember from Star Trek: TNG there was an episode where it was that there was some sort of way to disperse tornado's and other similar nasty weather.

Jim Jam

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2005, 11:44 AM
The reasoning for it was to help the "growers", believe it or not.

JimJamBonds
06-15-2005, 11:51 AM
The reasoning for it was to help the "growers", believe it or not.

A dangerous and disturbing place this line of thinking is taking us CaptainSolo1138! :D

Jim Jam

stillakid
06-15-2005, 01:25 PM

Hmm, convenient rain during a depressing turn of events. Sense of humor the Rain Maker has, eh? :ermm:

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Hmm, convenient rain during a depressing turn of events. Sense of humor the Rain Maker has, eh? :ermm:
I was gonna add something in original post about the rain maker having a flair for the dramatic! :D

Elliejabbapop
06-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Are you all so sure it's Coruscant? Don't get me wrong, but I had intended it in another way. Never mind. :)

ronhudy
06-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah...I'm also thinking the same thing - where does it say anywhere that it is Coruscant? I already had questioned where exactly that scene was supposed to be taking place when I first saw the movie...long before reading this thread. Does the script actually say "Coruscant"?

stillakid
06-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah...I'm also thinking the same thing - where does it say anywhere that it is Coruscant? I already had questioned where exactly that scene was supposed to be taking place when I first saw the movie...long before reading this thread. Does the script actually say "Coruscant"?

225 EXT. LANDING PLATFORM-CORUSCANT-IMPERIAL REHAB CENTER-DAY

The shuttle lands. DARTH SIDIOUS and CLONE TROOPERS leave the shuttle. ANAKIN's body is carried along in a floating medical capsule.

mabudonicus
06-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Why the hell would they go anywhere else??? Palps is the EMPEROR by that time, and it seemed like no-one raised an eyebrow when he appeared all ancient-looking before the senate- what would he have to hide and from whom, by that point??
Palps- Better we go and hide on Kamino for a while, until uhhhhhhhh

Exhaust Port
06-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Forget where it goes...the real question is where does it come from?

Obviously not a quick process but I would assume that the airbourne moisture would have come from the planets industry. As we're seeing now with the growth of hydrogen cars it is possible to have machines that exhaust nothing but water. Albeit in much smaller amounts all those plumes of exhaust you see from factories have water in them. Don't forget about our nuclear plants where we use water to cool the reaction and create huge plumes of steam.

It wouldn't be hard to introduce water into the atmosphere but it would take a long time to have enough to have weather. Coruscant has been around quite a while so that makes sense.

Not only that, but vast expanses of water (oceans) are part of an ecosystem in which the air that we breath is made breathable.

That would be a bigger concern as it would require Coruscant to have a huge industry dedicated just to produce Oxygen or more importantly, a proper atmosphere (82% Nitrogen, 16% Oxygen, 2% Other).

Without standing water of that kind, where does the O2 come from?

As someone said above the planet must have some sort of underwater source. I guess if there were huge underwater water stores then those bodies of water could be used to generate the Atmosphere. They would have to be filled with algae and they would provide the necessary CO2 to O2 coversion. Not difficult but it would need to be on a planetary scale.

And the cooling/warming effects of oceans also help provide wind patterns that help create "weather." So without standing oceans, where does the windy thunderstorm come from?

The Sun generates all weather on our planet byt the uneven heating of our planets surface. It doesn't matter if it heats a body of water or a parking lot it's the act of heating the surface that creates the up/downdrafts that lead to the weather phenomenon we know. So the Star that Coruscant orbits would also unevenly heat the manmade planets surface and lead to weather patterns.

Jek Porky 2002
06-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Going slightly off subject...

Is Coruscant a big planet? I always get the impression that it must be a small planet (a lot smaller than earth) to be covered in city.

JimJamBonds
06-16-2005, 10:17 AM

Is Coruscant a big planet? I always get the impression that it must be a small planet (a lot smaller than earth) to be covered in city.

I don't think Coruscant is all that small, I'm sure somebody will have a hard number but aren't there tens of billions of people living there? There are thousands of systems in the Republic requiring a huge "Senate house" yet it is only a dot on the landscape. For my money I'd say its pretty decent sized but not mega huge.

mabudonicus
06-16-2005, 10:36 AM
if you want to look at the space colonies in Moblie Suit Gundam it might help
Although they are sealed systems, they have an artificially regulated atmosphere, which includes weather and seasons. The reasoning behind that is that humans may require weather on a more psychological level. It makes sense that if one was going to build over a whole planetary surface, it would be beneficial to preserve the atmosphere by some means- perhaps the groundwater could be dispersed into the air by means of ionization or something- if nothing else, rain would help to keep things clean, and for as many people as there are on the planet there would have to be some way of keeping it at least slightly humid (unless they have some kind of slick moisturizers and lip balm, even then old man palps and Yoda should have been totally dessicated years ago)
I always thought that Coruscant was a symbol of how ridiculous the Old Republic had gotten by the beginning of the PT (sort of like the man/machine vader/luke of the OT) and of man's hubris which ironically is the centre-point of the downfall of the whole system as well, and I also always thought it was sort of supposed to represent the human attitudes towards our own planet- it HAD to start somewhere, I doubt it was planned as a planet sized city in the very beginnings (and if it was, in some EU source somewhere, that is stupid, plain and simple, almost as dumb as Lando's "walker City" in them ridiculous "clones for everyone" books)

CaptainSolo1138
06-16-2005, 11:24 AM
if you want to look at the space colonies in Moblie Suit Gundam it might help

Nice. Good reference, Mabs! I miss Gundam Wing :cry:

ronhudy
06-16-2005, 12:10 PM
225 EXT. LANDING PLATFORM-CORUSCANT-IMPERIAL REHAB CENTER-DAY

The shuttle lands. DARTH SIDIOUS and CLONE TROOPERS leave the shuttle. ANAKIN's body is carried along in a floating medical capsule.

Gotcha..thanks.

Why the hell would they go anywhere else??? Palps is the EMPEROR by that time, and it seemed like no-one raised an eyebrow when he appeared all ancient-looking before the senate- what would he have to hide and from whom, by that point??
Palps- Better we go and hide on Kamino for a while, until uhhhhhhhh

I wasn't thinking of it in the sense of "hiding", but more like he had been planning his rise to power for some time, and had perhaps been setting up shop somewhere else. I know he had been garnering support in the Senate behind the scenes. But after all, Coruscant is never mentioned in the Original Trilogy. And seeing how we barely see the Emperor on screen or mentioned in the OT until ROTJ, it does give a sense that he went into some kind of seclusion and left much of the "taking over of the galaxy" to Vader.

I'm forming my opinion only on the movies BTW - I haven't read many of the books...

Jek Porky 2002
06-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Actually the Emperor was mentioned in ANH and appeared in ESB. Also it would definatly have been common knowledge by then, because you can't have an Empire without an Emperor(ess).

ronhudy
06-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Actually the Emperor was mentioned in ANH and appeared in ESB. Also it would definatly have been common knowledge by then, because you can't have an Empire without an Emperor(ess).

Understood. As I said, he was "barely mentioned" in the OT before ROTJ, not that he "wasn't" mentioned. I just get the impression that he wasn't nearly as involved with things as in EP1-3.

Slicker
06-16-2005, 06:23 PM

Is Coruscant a big planet? I always get the impression that it must be a small planet (a lot smaller than earth) to be covered in city.Hate to keep it off topic but to answer this and move on I recall reading in one of the DK books that the population was in the TRILLIONS of people.

stillakid
06-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Hate to keep it off topic but to answer this and move on I recall reading in one of the DK books that the population was in the TRILLIONS of people.

Imagine the waste disposal issues they must have. :eek:

JediTricks
06-17-2005, 02:19 AM
From what I've read and remember, even before the prequels, Coruscant was a natural, normal-sized planet that became the "center" of the Old Republic and the cityscapes that built there got larger and larger until the entire surface became one large city which had nowhere to grow but upwards.

2-1B
06-19-2005, 11:33 PM
What's up with all that frightening lightning ?

JimJamBonds
06-20-2005, 12:06 AM
I noticed the lightning too, I didn't hear any thunder though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Oh, so now we're going to start getting technical about the science of Star Wars? Need I remind you all of a little thing called a lightsaber? :D

CaptainSolo1138
06-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Oh, so now we're going to start getting technical about the science of Star Wars? Need I remind you all of a little thing called a lightsaber? :D
DUH! We all know how to make a lightsaber! (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=28552) :D