PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Celebration No. 2

Jedi Clint
08-21-2001, 01:42 AM
Who plans on attending this event?

After the experience I had at the last one, I can't believe I am going to this one. I will sum it up for you in one sentence, and elaborate upon request.

It rained the entire time I stood in huge lines for hours, but Anthony Daniels stood not three feet from me.

There are a few reasons I plan on attending the next one. And they are.......

As far as I know Dan Madsen does not run WOTC. His evil empire is no more. Judged by it's actions, WOTC seems to be dedicated to delivering to the fans and not deceiving them.

The next convention will be held INDOORS!

The local fire marshal will not permit the area to become so crowded that escape becomes a hazard. I am not saying this event will be less than jam packed, but the lines at the last event were RIDICULOUS! (Ok, I'll elaborate a bit) :mad: I still can't believe that they were still selling tickets after it was obvious that there were far too many people there. I can only imagine that they held it outdoors just to rake in the cash by avoiding the fire marshal as much as possible. Some fans came from other continents to attend that event, and they were stuck in the same lines as the rest of us. They may hesitate to attend this one regardless of the current circumstances. There was absolutely no way to see all of the presentations offered in tent A and tent B, even though they were repeated. They had 2 tents for several thousand people. They didn't even have the schedule prepared before hand. One could have at least planned ahead if the schedule were made available prior to the event.

I hope I am not mistaken about the current circumstances. I feel fairly certain I am not.

Action Figures:

If history is any indication, then they will be selling E2 action figures at the event at extremely marked up prices (good for them, bad for us). I bought a few, but I wish I had waited. From the Official store at the event, I got an Anakin ($8). From a private dealer, I got a Watto($12), an Amidala($10), and a Jabba Glob($25). I could have waited 2 days and saved a decent amount of cash. As far as I know they were only selling: Anakin, Padme, and Jar Jar at the Official store on site. I imagine because they got them in cases just like everyone else, and they realized that they should cash in on the peg warmers by tapping the initial thirst for these figures. My guess is 3 3/4 Jango will go for $25 initially, and the 12 inch Jango (if that one is in the first wave of 12 inch) will go for upwards of $75.

Patience is a virtue! Just make sure you grab Jango off the shelf first during midnight madness! ;)

Boba Binks
08-21-2001, 08:23 AM
Well, I live in Indianapolis, IN. and all that I can say is YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED with the Convention Center. It is a very, very, very, large building. They just finished renovating parts of it to make it even bigger.
Once a year they have something called Star Base Indy for all the Sci-Fi geeks and Star Trek nuts. It is a weekend event and thousands upon thousands of people attend.

I am going to be there all three days.
I hope to see many people from the net there.

If you have not made reservations for any of the hotels downtown you better make them now. That weekend is also the begining of one of teh Indy Races and most hotels are allready booked up for that week.
But you can alwasys saty at a motel on I-465. No matter where you end up on I-465 you are only 15 - 20 at most from down town Indy.
I believe the hotels at the Airport are also already full.
This is going to be a weekend of fun!

Jedi Clint
08-21-2001, 02:27 PM
Thanks Boba Binks,

I hope you won't mind if I pick your noggin a little between now and then ;). I will heed your advice and get some reservations asap.

Boba Binks
08-21-2001, 07:22 PM
Pick away! I have been helping lots of people on various sites and forums.

Meriwyn
08-22-2001, 12:35 PM
I'll be there too! Just booked my hotel and my flight! I can't wait, it should be alot of fun. Hopefully they will be a little bit better organized this time. I didn't go last time, but from what I've read, it could have been handled a little bit better. I guess that's how you learn.

MTFBWY,
Meriwyn

master jedi
08-22-2001, 06:57 PM
I only went on the last day of the first one and I got there before it started and I had to stand in line for several hours in the mud just to get into the gift shop and only spent $80 bucks. I hope for the next one they will have more props.

Oh, I have this picture of a prop and there is a sign next to it that says 'No flash photography' and there's a flash on the glass from my camera.:p

Jedi Clint
08-22-2001, 07:11 PM
I will keep that in mind BB. I started looking for hotels today. I also got onto mapquest to find the most direct route, and learn that I would be in a car for 9+ hours.....ugh. Perhaps you have the right idea Meriwyn :). It at least has to be a better drive than I80 west from Des Moines to Denver. I swear the scenery didn't change from the time we left Omaha, NE until the moment we crossed the boarder into Colorado.

master jedi,

My friend wore Converse canvas shoes to the event......it was one of the only things I found entertaining about standing in line.

Magnolia-Fan
08-25-2001, 11:00 AM
Hey Master Jedi-

Speaking of funny photos from the Celebration, I'v got a photo of the security guard who yelled at me for taking "flash photos".

And he looks :mad: ****ED:mad:

If I can get acces to a scanner, I'll post up a link.

master jedi
08-25-2001, 12:41 PM
I'll scan my photo soon too.

Magnolia-Fan
08-26-2001, 07:50 PM
Here's the guy that yelled at me.

Picture him with a lumpy conehead...

Who does he look like?

Jedi Clint
08-26-2001, 08:02 PM
Interesting picture Magnolia-Fan ;).

master jedi
08-26-2001, 08:36 PM
If that old guy was yelling at you you should have just pushed him down and said "forget you".

Jedi Clint
08-26-2001, 08:47 PM
Yeah master jedi, but I remember that guy........he was packin!

OC47150
08-28-2001, 07:21 AM
Like Boba Binks, I am familiar with the convention center and surrounding facilities. I've been there for conferences, graduations and sporting events and it is an all-around great facility. You won't be disappointed.

Indy definitely won't be Dagobah, I mean Denver!

master jedi
08-28-2001, 04:46 PM
I've attached the photo with the sign that said 'No Flash Photography' when there's a flash in the glass.

autographjeff
09-03-2001, 10:09 AM
I havent heard alot about the Celebration 2... can anyone help me with where to book a hotel room where other fans will be and any info about tickets? and the exact dates of the event... i know it is in indi but not much else... also I live IN Nashville, Tennessee area.... Does anyone know any other forums on the net to discuss info about the convention... some of you mentioned you talked in other forums too.... you can respond here or email me at ukjeff19@yahoo.com thanks---

Jeff:)

Jedi Clint
09-03-2001, 12:54 PM
www.swcelebration.com

There is all kinds of pertinent info at this site.

Ook
09-10-2001, 03:42 AM
Oh, I have this picture of a prop and there is a sign next to it that says 'No flash photography' and there's a flash on the glass from my camera.:p

I audio taped the opening ceremony. :D
-----------------------------------------------------------

Here are some other links, too:

http://boards.theforce.net/default.asp?cat=10039

http://www.iccrd.com/

http://indyknights.com/celebration.html

http://www.swcelebration.com/ <----unofficial

Rollo Tomassi
10-01-2001, 12:44 PM
So, It's October 1st and so i figured I could go to www.starwarscelebration.com and reserve my tickets like they said I could, but I go there, and...Lo and Behold...WOTC drops the ball again!!!! This does not bode well for the Celebration II.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot...where do you go to reserve once you get to the website?????

OC47150
10-01-2001, 01:32 PM
I figure since it's a Monday, everyone runs slow. I've checked once or twice today myself.

Rollo Tomassi
10-01-2001, 04:21 PM
They've been announcing it for almost a month now!!! You would think they could pay attention to their own date. They should have had it up and running at 6:00 in the morning. otherwise they should have said "You can reserve tickets..uh...sometime on...uh...Like, uh Monday the 1st of October...like, in the afternoon...what were we talking about? Ohhhhhh.. Duuuude ....reserving tickets...pass me that bong,,huh huhhuhuh...."

What a bunch of idiots...

OC47150
10-01-2001, 04:39 PM
Regardless of this little delay, I'm hoping Celebration 2 will be better organized than Celebration 1. I know time constraints and facility availability was working against them in Denver. Not to mention the weather!

Did you go to Denver, Rollo?

master jedi
10-01-2001, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by OC47150
Regardless of this little delay, I'm hoping Celebration 2 will be better organized than Celebration 1. I know time constraints and facility availability was working against them in Denver. Not to mention the weather!

From what I her it's supposed to be entirely enclosed in the Indianapolis(sp?) convention center or something.

OC47150
10-02-2001, 07:47 AM
The RCA convention center is a great place. Yes, it is enclosed. It would be great if the opening ceremonies would be in the arena, where the Colts could play. It would accommodate everyone.

Rollo Tomassi
10-03-2001, 08:08 AM
Actually, a friend and I didn't find out about Celebration I in Denver until about 4 days before it happened. Talk about NOT having a finger on the pulse of Star Wars Fandom...Anyway, we were going to make a mad dash out there but we couldn't get work off, couldn't get motel reservations, basic disorganization, etc.. so we missed out. that's why I'm so stoked for this one and am complaining about the website...

Rollo Tomassi
10-03-2001, 08:11 AM
Hmph...now it's nov. 15th. At this rate you'll be able to get tickets sometime next June....just in time, you pot smoking crackhead WOTC GONK!ers....put down the water pipe and get your website in order like you said you would...

sith_killer_99
10-08-2001, 07:32 AM
I will attend.......Oh yes....I will attend.

I missed SW Celebration1. I just couldn't afford to fly out from Hawaii!

This time I am living in Kentucky and will be able to attend! No worries about hotels, airline reservations, etc. Just an early wake-up call and a relativly short drive.

Oh, who am I kidding. I'll probably wake up at midnight and be in line by 1a.m.!!!

I plan on putting in for leave and attending everyday!!!

As for merchandise, I will not be buying anything from the regular release. Only convention exclusives, or figs for the stars to autograph. I'm hoping Mr. Bullock will be there.

Actually this will be my first convention EVER!

Does anyone know if SSG will be there, and who (Thrawn, Steve, etc.)???

OC47150
10-08-2001, 08:07 AM
Where in Kentucky do you live? I live across from Louisville, and Indy is a 2-hour drive for me.

Rollo Tomassi
10-08-2001, 05:30 PM
We should get t-shirts made with our screen names on them .

"SSG" on the front and "Rollo Tomassi" on the back.

OC47150
10-09-2001, 12:16 PM
I read on another SW site (excuse me, Sir Steve) that the price for a three-day pass may cost between $75 - $85! SW Fan Club members may be passes at a cheaper rate.

Jeez, Wizards is starting to sound like a bunch of scalpers! A three-day pass for SW Celebration 1 was $35!

master jedi
10-09-2001, 03:49 PM
I read on another SW site (excuse me, Sir Steve) that the price for a three-day pass may cost between $75 - $85! SW Fan Club members may be passes at a cheaper rate.

Jeez, Wizards is starting to sound like a bunch of scalpers! A three-day pass for SW Celebration 1 was $35!

Do they want nobody to go or what?
75 bucks is crazy. 35 bucks was good and I wouldn't consider paying more than $40-45 bucks on a 3-day pass.

At the last Celebration I only went on the 3rd day and am thinking about doing the same for the second one.

Jedi Clint
10-09-2001, 04:03 PM
I am hoping that Fan Club members will pay around 60. The price does seem a little steep, but the last one was held outside, and....... well I think the extra money would be worth escaping the elements. On the third day of Celebration 1 the clouds parted, and I saw A MOUNTAIN! I had been there for 2 days prior, and I had no idea that we were parked at the foot of the thing! Still, I am hoping for a good member discount. I would actually like to purchase some of the action figures following the event ;) .

OC47150
10-10-2001, 06:56 AM
I saw that same MOUNTAIN, Jedi Clint! Imagine that!!!

My friend who went with me to Denver and I have already mapped out our strategy for next year's convention. In Denver, the least crowded day was Friday. We're going to do as much as we can humanly do on Friday, and if we have to wait in line on Saturday and Sunday for something really cool, that's OK.

Rollo Tomassi
10-11-2001, 06:24 PM
Egads!! $85!!! And that doesn't count the hotel room!!

bigbarada
10-23-2001, 11:48 PM
I am considering going to this, but have to ask: What can we expect in terms of security for Celebration II? That's an awful lot of people crammed into one building and a very juicy target for the unthinkable. Remember there are going to be thousands of people from all around the world at this thing, many bringing unmarked boxes of merchandise. Considering recent world events, I just think it is a relevant question.

Anyway, I sincerely hope I can make it!

OC47150
10-24-2001, 07:20 AM
Honestly, I hadn't thought about it. But you know the planners probably have. But why is SW Celebration 2 any different than a sporting event? I'd say security would be on the same levels.

Security wasn't that tight in Denver. My friend and I arrived on Thursday, and we drove out to the convention sight just to know where we were going. We could've easily walked into the exhibit building and saw the displays that night just by telling security we were a vendor. We didn't try that, though, but seriously thought about it. Some people did, though, and got a free vendor pass.

BountyHunter
11-12-2001, 08:27 PM
Hye sorry I am kinda one of the younger fans so I don't get A LOT of info on conventions, when is this upcoming one goign to be?

OC47150
11-13-2001, 07:26 AM
It's the first weekend of May, May 3 - 5.

Allegedly, tickets will go on sale Nov. 16. My buddy and I already have hotel reservations.

BountyHunter
11-13-2001, 05:49 PM
oh yeah, and where is it going to be held? State, and the building

OC47150
11-14-2001, 07:46 AM
RCA Dome and Convention Center, Indianapolis, Ind., May 3 - 5.

It's a very nice facility. I've been to sporting events, graduations and conventions there. The facilities are 100 times better than Denver. The only chance you have of getting wet is walking from the parking lot. Several of the major hotels have pedways that connect to the convention center.

BountyHunter
11-14-2001, 07:33 PM
really sorry, i keep forgeting to ask, ok last question, where can I buy tickets?

OC47150
11-15-2001, 07:39 AM
Check starwarscelebration.com. That's the official website.

The last I heard, it could be as early as tomorrow, Nov. 16. They were supposed to go on sale in October but the date got moved.

Price: a 3-day pass may cost $60 or so but it's worth it. A 3-day pass for Denver was $35.

Rollo Tomassi
11-15-2001, 10:13 AM
It's the first weekend of May, May 3 - 5.

Allegedly, tickets will go on sale Nov. 16. My buddy and I already have hotel reservations.

Where'd you get reservations at? For how much? Anybody live in that area? I'd like to know what chioces I have....

Wolfwood319
11-15-2001, 10:40 AM
Is there a discount for fan club members, if so how much?

I dropped out of the fanclub when wotc took over. $60-$80 isn't bad considering its indoors, and this time I can drive instead of fly like last time, I live in chicago.

BB, I think security will be tighter like it is everywhere else in the country right now. I went to Disneyland 3 weeks ago, and security was much tighter, guards everywhere. Strict metal detectors, etc.

OC47150
11-15-2001, 10:46 AM
At starwarscelebration.com there are a listing of area hotels that are within walking distance of the RCA Dome. I don't remember which hotel my buddy has made reservations at for us. He made them back in September. Once convention tickets are available, we're going to try and get the convention room rate.

OC47150
11-15-2001, 10:49 AM
I haven't heard how much the discount will be, or even if there will definitely be one. A discount was mentioned back in October but not mentioned sense.

Very little new information about the convention has been released in the last 1 - 2 months.

Yes, I expect security to be tight, too.

Wolfwood319
11-17-2001, 04:12 PM
Well, you can get your tickets now it seems. I'm not currently a member of the fan club, so can someone let me know if there's a discount on tickets and what other benefits you can get?

Magnolia-Fan
11-17-2001, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I'm not currently a member of the fan club

I think it's funny how many of us fans aren't.

$75.00?!?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If I spend that much and feel I got cheated like last time (when I only spent $30), the "new, improved" Wizards of the Coast fan club is going to get a serious earfull from me! :mad:

Jedi Clint
11-17-2001, 04:50 PM
I remember reading "as long as space allows" in reference to tickets sold at the door.

Magnolia-Fan
11-17-2001, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
I remember reading "as long as space allows" in reference to tickets sold at the door.

But here's my beef with that...

Say you have a three day pass.
2,000,000 people show up at 7:00 in the a.m. and buy tickets until the place is filled to the legal capacity. Everybody else is then turned away.

When you show up at 8:00 a.m., and the place is filled to the legal capacity, the fire marshall wont let you in, even though you paid in advance.

This is why they CANNOT (even though they will) sell tickets at the door.

Jedi Clint
11-17-2001, 05:36 PM
I think they will take that into account. They can't turn away people who already have tickets.

Magnolia-Fan
11-17-2001, 06:02 PM
They can sure as hell try though...;)

OC47150
11-20-2001, 03:03 PM
Well, I ordered my ticket this morning, and my hotel room is already booked. Now I'm just counting down the days!!!

Rollo Tomassi
11-23-2001, 11:15 AM
I just got mine in the mail today! (Well, technically, it was UPS...) What's up with the "accomodations" link at the official website? How and where are you guys making reservations? I don't know where to look. Help! I can just see me trying to get a hotel room and everything being booked already...:(

Jedi Clint
11-23-2001, 10:15 PM
You are by far more motivated than my friend and I are. We have yet to even purchase tickets.

http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=6791

The link above has information on hotel reservations. WOTC seems to have taken that aspect of the event into consideration. So far I am really impressed with the way they do business.

princethomas
11-24-2001, 04:30 PM
Is this thing really worth it? I dont have a lot of money, but 75 bucks wont kill me either. Ilive in South Carolina.. but I go up to Jeffersonville Indiana every so often to visit a friend. So I can surely schedule us to go to this together. So Im wondering, is it really that cool? I have looked at a lot of the info, and it sounds great. just hard to visualize just how cool it will be.

--Tom

Rollo Tomassi
11-25-2001, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info Jedi Clint...

Good lord!! Those are outrageous prices! (or maybe they aren't. I don't spend a lot of time in hotels.)

So I extend this offer/thought/hypothetical to you...anybody thinking of going in halvsies of thirdsies on a hotel room for a couple days? This is biting into my wallet more than I expected.

2 3-day passes at @$75 = $150
Drive from Iowa (food, gas etc) $50
Hotel Room Thurs, Fri, Sat @$115 (the cheapest) = $345
Plus countless "memoribilia" from the Celebration itself...

And then I've got to buy crumbloads of action figures and books right about that time too!!! I'm gonna have a heart attack!

Magnolia-Fan
11-25-2001, 06:36 PM
Hotel Rooms.

Good old fashioned research will get you a cheaper room.

Try the Super 8 or Motel 6 websites to find motels in Indy.

Then use mapquest or another such website to find the motel's proximity to the convention center.

My hotel reservation has been made. I'll be paying $56 per night and I will be 12 minutes from the convention center.

Now I just need to round up $75 for the ticket. Ugh!

OC47150
11-26-2001, 07:33 AM
Don't get too excited about the "priceless memorabilia" yet, Rollo. Most of the exclusives from Denver were offered through the fan club several months later. I'm interested to see if this convention figure is truly an exclusive.

As for accommodations, my friend is making all those. I know we're staying at one of the hotels nearby.

Rollo Tomassi
11-26-2001, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys. Someone else suggested I check the "outskirts", also. So what would be the deal with parking then? Does the Convention Center have a ramp? (I'm assuming it would) Any Indianapolisites know what the daily rate is? I need to start budgeting!!

OC47150
11-26-2001, 01:35 PM
There's several parking garages and parking lots within walking distance. What the rates are, I don't know. If I remember correctly, from the Colts game I went to two years ago, down on the other side of the statehouse there is a huge parking lot.

There also used to be a gravel lot behind the RCA Dome, but I don't know if it's still there.

Incom4
12-09-2001, 09:31 PM
Event parking in downtown Indy runs around $10.00 for all day. There are some small lots that charge between $5.00 and $15.00. The Indy Convention center is a great facility and there are 3 major hotels that have a skybridge right into it. This will be a great event to attend!!!!.

For more indy info please visit www.Indyknights.com

Rollo Tomassi
03-24-2002, 11:19 AM
Do you guys know what the policy is on Cameras/Video Cameras? I'll be meeting a lot of you for the first time and want to record this momentous occasion. is WOTC/lucasfilm pretty stickly on this issue? Anybody know?

OC47150
03-28-2002, 12:35 PM
As far as I know, there was no policy in Denver. The same should apply for Indy. It is an event for the fans.

Ook
04-07-2002, 06:55 PM
Video taping was NOT allowed in Denver. I hear it will be this time, which surprises me. Some areas will be restricted, though.

3rdamention
04-21-2002, 02:58 PM
Well I hope they allow video cameras. I want to do a documentary on c2 and burn it on a VCD. Lets hope I can videotape. I am sure you wont be able to in the fan film festival. . Peace out brothers.