PDA

View Full Version : Which Star Wars movie had the best Jedi death scene?

JediTricks
06-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Astoundingly, 5 out of the 6 movies in the Star Wars saga have at least 1 Jedi dying in some manner, whether it is stabbed through the gut, decapitated by a Sith, or getting sick and dying. Most of the scenes showing Jedi going from "live" to "dead" are quite different from each other in tone and action, some are surprises, some are sacrifices, some are the inevitablity of life. So which Star Wars film best captures the death of a Jedi:

Ep 1 - The Phantom Menace: Qui-Gon killed by Darth Maul.
Ep 2 - Attack of the Clones: Many Jedi killed by the troops of the Separatist army.
Ep 3 - Revenge of the Sith: Many Jedi killed by Republic clone troopers and Anakin Skywalker, Anakin also kills Count Dooku (a former Jedi).
Ep 4 - A New Hope: Obi-Wan Kenobi lets himself be killed by Darth Vader.
Ep 6 - Return of the Jedi: Yoda becomes ill and dies, Darth Vader (a former Jedi) dies after a battle with his son and suffering severe Sith lightning.
You will have to decide how "best Jedi death scene" applies to your vote, whether it is "most meaningful", "coolest action", "most believable", "most noble", "most important", it's entirely up to your poit of view.

sjd9299
06-14-2005, 04:06 PM
For me it is ROTS. In particular Ki-Adi-Mundi's death. WOW! I get chills every time. The snow coming down, the slow motion, the clone's boots sliding to a stop, the look on his face when he realizes the truth, the sadness as you realize what this means. It is just an awesome scene. It really hits home for me.

El Chuxter
06-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Nothing will ever top Darth Vader's death, whether it's emotional power, importance to the story, or how it's directed.

VaderhitsJarjar
06-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Vader's death In ROTJ

I remember getting that Frog In my throat - the same one I got watching Old Yeller In third grade. I remember coming home and trying to figure out if I should keep my action figure or create the scene in my backyard and burn him.
I guess good thing I didnt or I'd be considered a troubled child.:cry:

Slicker
06-14-2005, 04:53 PM
For me it's definitely ANH with Obi-Wan sacrificing himself so Luke and the gang could get away. That's the ultimate example of a Jedi's selflessness.

ronhudy
06-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Vader's death In ROTJ

I remember getting that Frog In my throat - the same one I got watching Old Yeller In third grade. I remember coming home and trying to figure out if I should keep my action figure or create the scene in my backyard and burn him.
I guess good thing I didnt or I'd be considered a troubled child.:cry:

LOL! Classic...

I agree. Perhaps it's my age, but I remember seeing ROTJ in the theater as a kid, and the anticipation of wanting to see the "man behind the mask", and finally seeing the mask come off was so cool...very few SW moments live up to that one for me. :)

megaprime33
06-14-2005, 05:26 PM
For me it is ROTS. In particular Ki-Adi-Mundi's death. WOW! I get chills every time. The snow coming down, the slow motion, the clone's boots sliding to a stop, the look on his face when he realizes the truth, the sadness as you realize what this means. It is just an awesome scene. It really hits home for me.
I have to agree completely. What sells it for me is the look on Ki's face when he turns around and see's the clones aiming their rifles at him. Incredibly powerful scene. I actually feel pain for him.

DarkArtist
06-14-2005, 05:45 PM
I'd have to say the Qui Gon Scene for me is the best. Just the sheer hatred of Maul as he uses the hilt of his lightsaber to smack Qui Gon in the face and then spin to stab straight through his body. Then without even caring turns to Obi Wan as if to say "Bring It Your next." :)

darthverbo
06-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Hands down, the coolest death is Tyranus getting his hands and head cut off in ROTS. It beats the heck out of Darth Maul. You think he was sinister?
Anakin was BAAAAAD!

Mace Windex
06-14-2005, 07:27 PM
I'd have to go with the Clones turning on the Jedi as the most heart wrenching. The death of Vader is right up there too. I'm still bugged that Lucas never showed us Luke telling Leia that "there was still good in him" and relaying the story. I would have loved to have seen her reaction.
Mace

jedibear
06-14-2005, 08:24 PM
While my first inclination was to go for ROTS (Yes, Ki Adi Mundi's astonished reaction truly captures the scope of the betrayal), I had to settle on the original...

Obi-Wan willingly sacrificing himself so Luke and his friends can escape shows that right to the end, he was truely the greatest jedi...

Reefer Shark
06-14-2005, 10:14 PM
My favorite would have to be ANH. Vader/Obi-Wan - classic Star Wars in every way. Now after seeing ROTS, I like it even more.

ROTJ would be next. The Vader and Yoda scenes had heavy impact on me back in the day!

I really enjoyed the ROTS and TPM scenes for the intensity and feeling. Such great action sequences (especially the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan/Maul duel).

AOTC jedi deaths seemed hardly noticable, and had no impact on me whatsoever.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-14-2005, 10:20 PM
I voted for TPM, though I could have just as easily voted for ROTJ for Vader's/Anakin's death. For some reason, I did not anticipate Qui-Gon's death until shortly before it happened, and it still kind of stung. Perhaps it was because every other part of the battle was at a low point as well.

For ROTJ, I recall throughout the movie wondering if Luke could bring Vader back to the good side. When Vader finally destroyed the Emperor, I was thinking how great it was to now have him on the good side. So, to then see him die was quite sad. Poor Luke. Orphaned again.

figrin bran
06-14-2005, 10:32 PM
this gets my vote (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Clone-Extra1/pdvd0566yv.jpg)

stillakid
06-14-2005, 11:38 PM
ROTS? Yeah... :rolleyes: Ask this same question again in a year after the adrenaline has died down. :D

Anyway, ROTJ is the best death scene in the saga. It rates the best for overall meaning (it had some) and in its execution. The sheer amount of emotion conveyed with an immovable mask using "mime" techniques and lighting is unmatched by any other film with the Star Wars name on it. Both the lead up to Vader's death and the aftermath contribute greatly to the logical choice of ROTJ. :)

Kidhuman
06-15-2005, 12:24 AM
ROTS easily, so many die, so many different ways. I wish they would have shown more of em die.

stillakid
06-15-2005, 07:25 AM
ROTS easily, so many die, so many different ways. I wish they would have shown more of em die.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The first one gets...shot. Then the next one gets...um, shot. Then the next one gets...er um, shot... then the fourth one..........

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2005, 09:14 AM
RotS. Aayla Secura gets hers. Finally.

Kidhuman
06-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I see what you mean. The first one gets...shot. Then the next one gets...um, shot. Then the next one gets...er um, shot... then the fourth one..........

Dooku gets decaptitated, Stass gets blown away on a speeder, Ki-Adi and Aylaa get shot, Mace chucked out a window, many gets slaughtered by Anakin via hologram we see, and the youngsters too. Awesome.....

Ryno
06-15-2005, 11:13 AM
After seeing ROTS, I think Obi-Wan's sacrifice in ANH just means that much more. He did his duty to the Jedi and the galaxy, right up until the end.

For some reason though, the first thing I thought of when I saw this pole was Jango Fett taking out Coleman Trebor. Poor fool never had a chance.

waboritas
06-15-2005, 11:49 AM
I voted Ep. 1 for the Maul/Qui-Gon,Obi Wan sequence. I think the best death overall was Obi Wan slicing DM in two, but I agree you really were not expecting Qui-Gon to die so there was shock. In ROTS you knew all but Yoda and Obi Wan were going one way or another. Mace going down was a close second. If we didn't all know he was getting it, there would be a hell of a lot more shock value to it. For this reason, when I share the SW Saga with my kids it will be in order from 1 to 6.

plasticfetish
06-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Tough one...

Qui-Gon's death in TPM is a good one, and then Obi-Wan's death in ANH was pretty powerful at the time, (still is) but I have to give it to ROTJ. Seeing that Yoda puppet die still breaks me up. (I mean... it's a PUPPET and It gets me all sad.) Vader's death in the end is what really wins it though. Great stuff. (Just have to turn the disk off before I see Hayden's ghost.)

dxdave
06-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Best death scene?

Episode I: I liked (was saddened) when Qui-Gon died. I was shocked.

As for ROTS, too many deaths way too quickly. I've seen the new movie several times now. Every time I watch it, the deaths of the Jedis, other than Mace Windu's and possibly Ki Adi Mundi's, were way too fast and should have been a few seconds longer to drive home the impact.

Here's what I mean by my comments above:

Kit Fisto gets killed and it looks like he stumbles down the step to his death. Egan Kolar kind of slumbers over. Aayla Secura does a twirl and is gone....the acting could have been more dramatic. I agree with the other folks that wrote about Ki Adi Mundi's murder....it hit home with me, too....had the lump action going in the throat :(
I also liked the comment about Ben Kenobi's death in Ep.4....very selfless....
That's my two cents anyways!

Mandalorian Candidat
06-15-2005, 04:28 PM
ROTS? Yeah... :rolleyes: Ask this same question again in a year after the adrenaline has died down. :D

Dang stilla, ease up! It's just a personal preference poll, not picking the next Pres. or anything. :)

I'd say Vader for me. I think it had the greatest impact on the whole saga having it come full circle. Plus I thought it was one of the best five scenes out of the whole six movies. I was 13 when it came out so it left a bigger impression than Qui-Gon or OB1, who I thought was nuts for letting Vader get to him at the time (I was 7). It was the coolest to finally see Vader get his butt whipped and then to see what was doing under his helmet.

JediTricks
06-15-2005, 04:51 PM
I had a very difficult time choosing, ultimately I read some of the comments about ANH and it reminded me just how shocking it was to see Obi-Wan willingly take one for the team, when Luke screams "nooo!" I always feel that way as well, like "how could this be?!?" even when I know it's coming. The nobility of the way he sacrifices himself still gets me every time.

I'm surprised AOTC is faring so badly at this point with just 4 votes, there are a lot of dead Jedi in that arena scene.

El Chuxter
06-15-2005, 05:40 PM
I'm surprised AOTC is faring so badly at this point with just 4 votes, there are a lot of dead Jedi in that arena scene.

True, but only Coleman Trebor actually gets a death scene. Everyone else falls down in the background while main characters fight in the foreground.

I'm not sure why, but Obi-Wan's death had never had a lot of impact for me. I really can't explain it.

trandoshan666
06-15-2005, 05:51 PM
For me, it's Obi-Wan's death in ANH. I love how he waited long enough for Luke to witness his demise at the hands of the Sith lord who Luke, at that time, believed had betrayed and murdered his own father. Luke had already taken an interest in the force, and that moment was a point of punctuation the point where Obi-Wan had clearly put the plan to defeat the Empire in motion.
The fact that moments earlier Obi-Wan told Vader that if he was struck down, he'd become more powerful than Vader could imagine added greatly to the event's impact. Brilliant and unparalleled, IMO!

mastermatt24
06-15-2005, 10:25 PM
I have to say the Mace sceen- but mainly because of palpy. Ill admit it- I was kinda grossed out and that added to my shock. I also like the office sceen before.

jwlifsey1
06-16-2005, 04:27 AM
The Phantom Menace was for me the first movie that showed the wisdow and power of the Jedi order. Qui-Gon Jinn was strong in the force and trusted it to reveal paths that he should take. That trust made him wise and fearless. Never before have I seen such a reliance on the force. Not just for removing X-wing fighters out of a swamp, but to expect it to present a pathway to find parts for his ship and to get off Tatooine. I was in awe of this new authority and power in the force. He stood in confidence against Darth Maul, a very powerful being himself. When the lightsaber pierced Qui-Gon Jinn, I was stunned. Even his funeral pyre was a very moving experience. Ever since then, death was expected to others and it came.

Darth Kev
06-16-2005, 01:26 PM
...Obi-Wan's... he waited long enough for Luke to witness his demise at the hands of the Sith lord who...betrayed and murdered his father...that moment was a point of punctuation

I'd have to agree. This is a toughie, but after RotS, Obi-Wan's has a much bigger impact in ANH. It strengthens the line, "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine." He's basically telling Vader that he'll become more powerful than him and remember-- Vader thinks he's the most powerful possible, so it's kind of a slap in the face, too. I also think that Obi-Wan knew right from the beginning that he had no chance in that fight, either.

For this reason, when I share the SW Saga with my kids it will be in order from 1 to 6.

This is one of the reasons why I'll show my kids 4-6, then 1-3. Luke's reaction to Ben's death. Vader's revelation to Luke that he's his father in Empire. Luke and Leia as twins (think about that-- your kids will already know they're bro + sis when they kiss for that first time...ewww). Vader's helmet being removed to reveal the person inside in Jedi. It also would have been nice if the Jabba scene was left out of ANH, it kind of spoils that initial RotJ moment when we first see Jabba and think, "Wow, that's Jabba!" 4-6 are much stronger in this sense. 1-3 basically puts all that stuff we learned over the last 25 years on the screen-- The story of the clone wars; Anakin vs. Obi-Wan I, where we only knew that there had been a fight and Anakin was burned and needed the Vader suit to survive; page 1 of Lucas' novel "Star Wars," where it explains Palpatine's rise to power in brief.

I think that the simple fact that it's 4-6 that made us all this bunch of Star Wars fanatics and collectors in the first place that backs up the impact of the OT and is the main reason that it should be shown in chronological order by year released, not storyline. Think about it. If Lucas started the whole thing with Phantom Menace back in '77, there would only be one Star Wars movie. It's Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca and the droids that hooked us. Not Jar Jar Binks, Qui-Gon Jinn, Queen Amidala, and Nute Gunray. Although Maul was pretty cool.

Ki Adi Mundi was a darn close second.

Mods: sorry for the length of the post, but hey, I'm a fanatic, too!

Kidhuman
06-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Kev, read a post by Tycho and you will not be apologizing anymore for length of posts... :p.

You know I love ya Tycho.....

Tycho
06-16-2005, 08:02 PM
I can't vote! There are too many incredible, heart-wrenching death scenes.

My first instinct was to pick:

ANH - Obi-Wan Kenobi's sacrafice for Luke

ROTS - Yeah, Ki-Adi Mundi makes me cry - as does Aayla - but Mace's death was horrific! What an impact that was: "Death by Palpatine!"

TPM - was an impact for sure. It would have been moreso if I'd not read spoilers, but still, logic had to tell you it would be Anakin with Obi-Wan, so Qui-Gon was a goner. Still, I really liked Qui-Gon's character in TPM and his death's impact is felt -even movies later.

ROTJ - the funeral pyre scene brings it home. You still have hope he's going to live when the mask comes off and he manages to weakly smile at Luke. You feel more for Luke of course. His loss is felt. To me, it seemed Vader had it coming...

AOTC - Coleman Trebor - yeah, that Jango guy's really mean! All the Jedi dying makes you mad at Dooku.

BTW - I'd put Dooku under a Sith Lord's death scene poll:

Maul - Split in half
Dooku - decapitated, handless
Vader - one hand less, struck by his master's Sith lightning
Palpatine - thrown down a reactor shaft and exploded

I have to say I'd Vader's death gets the heart going - but I love seeing Palpatine get what he deserved! Dooku had it coming, too. And so did Maul.

Still, Palpatine getting it is the climax of the whole saga - so....

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-16-2005, 09:50 PM
I would say the most gut-wrenching were the series of Jedis' deaths in ROTS. The impact they have is one of complete sadness even though we all knew it was eventually going to happen. Just to see the once powerful Jedi defenseless is a sobering moment. The eyes of Ki-Adi-Mundi once he saw what was going on explains it all.

Darth Simon
06-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Agreed. I think the most unique part of the Qui Gon death scene in TPM is the fact that you get to see Obi Wan come very close to the dark side of the force. His master is executed right in front of him. You see the look of anger on Obi Wans face. You know that fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering. Well Obi Wan is just a minute away from making Maul Suffer!

Darth Kev
06-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Well, I gotta add this...
Someone we forgot. Plo Koon's death. Here's this mysterious Jedi Master, probably #4 overall after Yoda, Mace and Ki-Adi, and he doesn't have the facial expressions everyone else does, but there's something you can feel from seeing him in his starfighter going down. A sense of urgency. It wasn't one of the best, but no one's mentioned it yet. Aayla was tough too, but only because it's always tough seeing a hot chick get offed in any movie. :D

Kit Fisto went too quick, in a flash of blurriness, as did Saesee Tiin and Agen Kolar. For three guys sitting on the Jedi Council you'd think they would have put up more of a fight. GL could have done masterful work by expanding that scene just another minute or two. Maybe like Dooku Palpatine could have put Mace down for the count for a minute with a little force-throw; then maybe force push Fisto out the door and force close it and dispense with Tiin and Kolar in a brief but more meaningful exchange. Then Fisto would get back in and be met by the lightning of a waiting Palpatine, disabling him for a moment so Palps could slash through him. Then on to Mace. A minute, tops, for all that.

Diamond Dave
06-17-2005, 06:40 PM
For me it depends on your definition of best? Is it the best quality of action and story? Or just the most powerful in meaning? I think the best action sequence by far is the one in TPM when Qui-Gon dies. Great action and it is very powerful. But I still think the best overall is In ANH when Obi-Wan dies. I was 6 years old when that happened and I remember it like it was yesterday. I saw the movie at a drive in theatre in Burbank, CA. Star Wars under the stars!!!! Any wonder why this kid was hooked. The action wasn't all that great but boy was that powerful. Especially when we heard him speak even after he was gone. I agree especially after ROTS Obi-Wan definately has to rank up there as one of the most powerful Jedi's ever.

I was very disppointed with the Jedi death scenes in AOTC and ROTS. I wonder if George thought it would be hard for us to see that many die. The scenes were very short for the most part. I'm very troubled that Jedi Masters could be killed so quickly by Palpatine. They had to have been ready for action, they were going there to confront him. That scene alone should have been much longer!!!! Then when you talk about the rest of the Jedi's being killed by Clones.........come on. Vader was the one that was to have hunted down and killed the Jedi's.

That's my 2 cents